/STD/ - Star Trek Discovery General

So this week apparently Harry Mudd comes back to wreck shit.

Also does anyone have a decent stream for it? Bretty Good stopped showing STD so they could show TWD.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KPV1InMNUf4
strawpoll.me/14269909
strawpoll.me/14269931
strawpoll.me/14269958
strawpoll.me/14269978
strawpoll.me/14269990
strawpoll.me/14270015
strawpoll.me/14270031
strawpoll.me/14270046
strawpoll.me/14270061
strawpoll.me/14270073
strawpoll.me/14270080
strawpoll.me/14270093
strawpoll.me/14270107
strawpoll.me/14270119
strawpoll.me/14270136
strawpoll.me/14270147
strawpoll.me/14270182
strawpoll.me/14270449
strawpoll.me/14270473
strawpoll.me/14270488
strawpoll.me/14270512
strawpoll.me/14270527
strawpoll.me/14270570
strawpoll.me/14270589
strawpoll.me/14270608
strawpoll.me/14270642
strawpoll.me/14270659
strawpoll.me/14270685
strawpoll.me/14270695
strawpoll.me/14270704
strawpoll.me/14270737
youtube.com/watch?v=NCPM8DEsvmc
mega.nz/#!FmpWWRhA!1J6lRZGf8rGLtJiWCozgikaN2IuSTs-5rOX8qtMGUjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this show as gay as I heard it was?

Next episode when?

eh, it has its moments of bad writing. I hope they get their shit together by season 2, but it is a lot better after a few episodes.

Apparently it drops on all access at 8:30 pm so in five minutes or so.

Does anyone here have a good stream?

So, let's say it's x numbers of year in the future. The series has ended, or was cancelled. Where does it rate compared to the other series?

I can't honestly say at the moment. A lot of other Star Trek series got shit for their first season and then picked up later.

The production values are amazing on this series, however the writing is lacking compared to the other series, also its the only serialized star trek series.

I'd say maybe it'll be higher than enterprise but not better than TOS, TNG, and DS9 and VOY

anyone have a stream?

>the gay science guy injects himself with something which transforms him into Adam Savage

What the fuck is this party

Ah nvm fuck a stream, im gonna watch the Torrent. Should finish in 6 minutes.

it's a time loop episode like that one that TNG did

Only took 'em 7 episodes to do a time travel/time loop bullshit episode, go figure.

God this show is so bad, Roddenberry is just doing backflips in Hell right about now - he thought being in Hell would be punishment enough, nope.

Discovery's characters are complex and interesting

Every previous Trek series, with the exception of DS9, had bland individuals who you got the measure off after watching 2 episodes

Orville follows the pedestrian path of bland Trek and even rips their visuals and music, but there is nothing innovative

I understand if Orville appeals to your nostalgia but deep down you know it's treading water instead of peaking your curiosity

The days of vanilla drama are over, you can thank the character driven masterpiece Battlestar Galactica for that

The characters are all about the writing. Old trek had good writing. Orville and Discovery have bad writing. Discovery just falls back on tragedy and melodrama to mask it.

i dont quite get the mudd angle does anyone else?

They want a familiar name to grab old fans. Like with Sarek.

Why aren't u listening to 300 year old music

youtube.com/watch?v=KPV1InMNUf4

I dropped this series after the brown security officer inexplicably decided to commit suicide by releasing the still-fully-conscious bug monster and then shoot at it with a weapon she already knew couldn't hurt it.

If such a poorly written scene could make it into the show, then there is no way the writing will improve enough to make it watchable

Mud kills everyone over 53 times and is rewarded with freedom and a wife so that he can come back to fuck them all up in later episodes. if i had a life this show would be dropped.

The fuck is this shit?

I dropped it only one episode later.

The show is absolute garbage.

*****IMPORTANT*****
*****ULTIMATE /trek/ POLL*****
Rate every episode from every season from every series!
Multiple choice so you don't have to pick just one!

>TOS
strawpoll.me/14269909
strawpoll.me/14269931
strawpoll.me/14269958

>TNG
strawpoll.me/14269978
strawpoll.me/14269990
strawpoll.me/14270015
strawpoll.me/14270031
strawpoll.me/14270046
strawpoll.me/14270061
strawpoll.me/14270073

>DS9
strawpoll.me/14270080
strawpoll.me/14270093
strawpoll.me/14270107
strawpoll.me/14270119
strawpoll.me/14270136
strawpoll.me/14270147
strawpoll.me/14270182

>VOY
strawpoll.me/14270449
strawpoll.me/14270473
strawpoll.me/14270488
strawpoll.me/14270512
strawpoll.me/14270527
strawpoll.me/14270570
strawpoll.me/14270589

>ENT
strawpoll.me/14270608
strawpoll.me/14270642
strawpoll.me/14270659
strawpoll.me/14270685

>TOS Movies
strawpoll.me/14270695

>TNG Movies
strawpoll.me/14270704

>Kelvinverse Movies
strawpoll.me/14270737

i need some new vulcan q.ts to fap to. i'm tired of tpol. when i'm having a fap session in my masturbatorium, i wear a starfleet uniform and a diaper

if i had to pay for it I wouldn't watch it

Ash is a big guy

No I mean actually gay. Like queers and stuff.

STD promotes LGBTQWR+ rights because its the only logical thing to do.

>Orville and Discovery have bad writing.

The Orville does NOT have bad writing, it's exactly what the show is meant to be and it's spot-on: a parody of sorts of Star Trek and everything related with some humor and goofiness thrown in.

Discovery is trying to be BSG and Stargate Universe and a bunch of other dark broody moody bullshit shows that have come and gone because they were just that: dark broody moody bullshit that just isn't entertaining to watch which is why the shows that came before and provided the material to work with were failures. You can think that BSG was a success all you want but it really wasn't in the long run, and SGU absolutely failed, hard, and very fucking fast.

Discovery is just shit, period, and people commenting on "the production values" and other things are just idiots plain and simple. It was created as a fucking money grab and no other reason: CBS and Paramount and all parties related don't give a flying fuck about Star Trek fans or the community behind the shows since the 1960s when ST first aired, they only give a fuck about dead Presidents.

I often do at Panera Bread
youtube.com/watch?v=NCPM8DEsvmc

>Star Trek
>Discovery
>Season 1
>Episode 7
>Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad
mega.nz/#!FmpWWRhA!1J6lRZGf8rGLtJiWCozgikaN2IuSTs-5rOX8qtMGUjs

>Fact
It's literally the shit that you people spent months complaining that STD would never have.

>Also Fact
This thread is unnecessary because we still have .

Look for cosplayers.

>this is star trek now
jesus christ
how does this manage to be fucking worse than the orville's weird ass idiosyncrasies?

It's not a parody, it's a straight up copy with some jokes thrown in. It might be worth something if the jokes were more than just background noise to retreads of old trek episodes without any of the subletly or finesse to the writing.

i really liked this show until this episode.

explain to this non watcher pls

How much into their romance arc will they go?

this show sucks so freaking hard. only based lorca and saru makes this somewhat tolerable.

This will pretty much answer your question
A lot of unprofessionalism in general that the would never happen in the real Starfleet. At one point the main character can't tell another character about the extreme threat to the ship because she likes him and gets flustered. It's embarrassing.

oh yeah it kinda is a bit gay

I was expecting someone to tell me they're all drugged or some sort of story specific context.
That's sad.

What a tonally bizarre episode. 40 minutes of Mudd murdering people over and over again only to have an ending that fits the TOS original rather than the new psychopath version of him?

>would never happen in the real Starfleet
You only now realize that?

honestly this. The ending with Mudd was nice since we got characters that actually weren't either grimdark or lolzorandom for a change, but the everything before that made me wonder how retarded Michael was.
Also, this episode was done much better on TNG. They didn't have the excuse of
>gay engineer dude got raped by the mushroom machine and can now detect time shift or whatever
but they had this slow realisation set in by Beverly noticing things repeating again and again.

people still watch this fucking shit show?

good news for STD I guess, it just got a lot of free publicity

The TNG episode is dumb though. Why would memories persist? Why would anybody who isn't Guinan notice that shit?

which episode was this?

Real nice lens flare on Burnham's face.

Just finished the latest episode and it was pretty weird. I think next episode will be better. I also think the lady admiral is going to die next week.

>Why would memories persist?
why wouldn't they? you're already in an impossible situation, so building the story up as someone eventually noticing things are slightly off isn't that weird and would lead to them trying to convince others something really is wrong.

i'm not sure if I believe him.

>mega user is back
bles u

Cause and Effect

>why wouldn't they?
Because that's not how time travel works?

Did you also forget that they're trapped in a weird time anomaly?

Why would it give them extra memories?

The ship already has Guinan. It's her job to detect time fuckery. They didn't need anyone else.

Just saw it, first good episode this season thanks to Dwight. Pretty good my dudes.

Keep watching hoping for Saru to die a horrific, drawn out, painful death and everyone just shrugs and doesn't care because...honestly....who really likes such a complete fucking loser?

>Is this show as gay as I heard it was?

if by "gay" you mean "lame and bad", no.

if by "gay" you mean "homosexual", yes.

Gee, who would have thought that a gay man was molested as a boy? It's not like that's where they come from or something.

>Observations and musings for episode 7
The "log" narration over a montage is an oft used mechanic in Trek. Good to see them use it here, and so well even.

I still don't get what connection she has with Ash. Why does she value dignity and kindness in other people? This feels like more tell and less show. I hope they go into this during the episode.

Open flames are not allowed on board SF ships and yet a man is walking around with a flare/sparkler.

I have nothing more to say about the party scene that I'm sure won't be covered by dozens of others.

There is a women in the hallway in a silvery-gray gown thing walking with someone in a medical uniform. Who is this? Why are they not in uniform (or at least something regulation such as the PT "DISCO" shirts)?

There are a lot more people than we have previously seen doing PT. Is it just the time of day? Or something more?

What is the bin of stuff Dr. Culber is carrying? Where is he going with it?

Does Lorca know about the new cybernetic augment/connection for the spore drive? How does he feel about it?

Why would the gormagander evolve behavior that makes it so unlikely to reproduce that the species would be in danger of extinction?

Why were multiple people around with rifles when the gormagander was (presumedly) not a threat?

The gormagander would seem unable to maintain a suitable enviroment inside itself for Mudd for very long due to its size. Where did he "board?" How did he find the Discovery? What was the Discovery doing prior to detecting it? How does he steer it?

Is that an Andorian EVA helmet? Mudd uses two different ypes of pistols (one shoots redish/magenta beams and the other shoots green spheres - much like a klingon disrupter pistol, with similiar results on impact); why not two of the same?

Lorca specifically asks only about Burnham's condition while watching members of his crew getting gunned down. He seems to be more concerned about her than most others.

Mudd seems quite a bit more angry and vicious than when we see him in TOS/TAS.

When Mudd pushes the button, the explosion comes from the left offscreen and from nowhere on his person after a slight delay. Would seem to indicate that he set of a bomb or reaction of some sort somewhere else on the ship. The gormagander?

How is Mudd so quickly overcoming all the safeties and barriers on the ship?

Sad to hear that Stuart was just a one-off. He was cool/cute.

The music is different during the loop when Burnham/Ash dance and kiss.

"A 4-dimensional race must have perfected the technology" that's quite the leap. How did she arrive at that conclusion?

Why does no one on the bridge have a weapon when it seems like they are plentiful and easily accessed anywhere else?

How does Mudd know that its Staments who is "ceating?" The far more rational choice would be Burnham since she is the one who confronts him in the previous cycle.

How did Stell and her father get there so quickly? It could not have been any more than 20 seconds between when they got the coordinates and they arrived near Discovery. Do they have a spore drive?

Stella's father had an interesting looking ship. It seemed "retro." Is it a design from TOS/TAS?

After the loop had been eliminated, why did Stamants tell Burnham and Ash about the other loops. Doesn't that qualify has breaking the Temporal Prime Directive?

What happened with the gormagander with the ship inside with the time crystal inside?

If Ash is a klangon spy, why does he not allow Mudd to suceed in his plan? Is it because he feels it is aiding Kol? Or is it because he is a sleeper agent?

Am I the only one who isn't feeling the chemistry between Burnham and Ash? Ash is charismatic enough but something about it isn't clicking for me.

>i'm not sure if I believe him.
Are you saying that a flaming gay nobody on an SJW-run trainwreck might try to raise his profile by slandering an A-list actor? Perish the thought!

How on earth do you make a time loop episode so fucking dull? Why the fuck was it turned into a high school love fest between Michael and Voq?

"I think I like you, and I think you like me too"

WHAT THE FUCK, WHO FUCKING WROTE THIS SHIT

>How is Mudd so quickly overcoming all the safeties and barriers on the ship?
We only observe a small fraction of the loop. Basically Mudd has brute forced his entire hack of the ship through countless failed tries

Tied for second best episode. Away mission and Saru homeplanet maybe next week?

I thought Mudd was supposed to be the lovable rascal, not straight up asshole.

Because they've dictated Michael is the MC and no one else. Honestly Im surprised that Lorca got an episode with a lot of screentime.

Holy fuck this show keeps getting worse and worse

>Mudd is a time-travelling serial killer now
>10 years later it's all shenanigans and jokes with Kirk and Co. :^)

They could've just written a new fucking character to be the psychotic space pirate, instead of ruining a TOS character

>If Ash is a klangon spy, why does he not allow Mudd to suceed in his plan? Is it because he feels it is aiding Kol? Or is it because he is a sleeper agent?

Because he's a Cylon skin job who doesn't know he's a Cylon

>Why would the gormagander evolve behavior that makes it so unlikely to reproduce that the species would be in danger of extinction?

Not certain. Maybe we should ask the pandas.

Yeah, that's basically explained later in the show. But when I wrote that was just after the first loop so I was unaware we had just skipped all those loops that would explain it. That said, a few dozen tries got him REALLY far and knowledgable about the workings of a SF ship.

Brute force hacking stuff now would take centuries to get though. On an advanced starship in the future I refuse to believe can be brute force hacked.

That was the first genuinely enjoyable STD episode. Only took 7 episodes to get good. TNG wasn't good until episode 35.

Were you referencing this
>Mudd seems quite a bit more angry and vicious than when we see him in TOS/TAS.
?
If so, yeah. He has flashes of "old" Mudd, in particular to his speeches. But, something is just downright evil in his motivations and some actions.

hahah pretty good way of putting it.

So they learn about time crystals at the vulcan academy which doesn't believe in time travel? Interesting.

.>Because he's a Cylon skin job who doesn't know he's a Cylon
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant by sleeper agent. Would explain how is so capable of navigating human interactions. Still wondering how he passed medscans.

>Doesn't that qualify has breaking the Temporal Prime Directive?
Doesn't exist yet.

Even Picard talks about how one should exist yet doesn't.

Vulcan Science Academy didn't believe in time travel back in ENT days. THat's like a hundrend or so years prior to this. Spock has no isses with it in TOS.

TOS Mudd is a pimp, drug trafficker and sex trafficker. He was always a piece of shit.

Staments still doing illegal as fuck human experiments on himself. Why? It's like there are no consequences at all.

STD is grim and depressing as fuck, there's no joy, no charm, and the main character is really unlike-able. I know yje captain has eye problems but is that any reason for there to be no lights anywhere on the ship whatsoever? It's too fucking dark everywhere.

If it wasn't so dark it would take away from all of the lens flares.

Oh, you're right. Good call.

What ever crimes he commited before were not done in so nearly as maliciously as he did this episode.

Cybernetics aren't illegal.

>It's too fucking dark everywhere.

obviously it's intentional so in ten year's time disco will look as dated and of its time as any other star trek series, like how tng filmed the entire first series with the lens smothered in vaseline and everyone shitting beige and pastel shades

The hint we got was "Dr Jackyl and Hyde" so yeah, most likely doesn't realise he's Klingon until sleeper agent stuff happens.

honestly orville has been pretty inconsistent in quality.
its had some absolutely fantastic episodes like about a girl and krill, but other ones, like the alara centric episode, have been stinkers that sucked as badly as discovery episodes 5 and 6.
for as much as people like to contrast orville and discovery, i think they are really very similar, as they portray deeply flawed people istead of the union or the federations best and brightest, and they all happen to behave like a typical person in >2017
as opposed to someone in an utopian fully automated luxury communist future.
the main difference in the two shows is that for all their flaws, the characters in orville are likable, where in discovery, all the characters are as unlikable as seth mcfarlane or will weaton. (excluding lorca and the klingons)

I had been cautiously optimistic for discovery with episodes 3 and 4 and the zany tradigrade mushroom stuff, but every successive episode is a continual disappointment in just about every aspect imaginable.

this looks like its from skins or some other trashy british show wtf

Why does Michael have that stupid half-afro hairstyle instead of Vulcan hairstyle?

Why is this show focusing on her and Tyler when they're absolutely the worst characters on this fucking show. Should be the Saru, Stamets and Lorca show.

>how he passed medscans.

This is what happens when guys who don't write Star Trek try to write Star Trek

>3 to beam up
>uh captain, biofilter says you guys are 2 humans and a Klingon
>awkward

Your embarrassing post is what happens when a 24th century fan tries to write for the 23rd century.

>Cybernetics aren't illegal.
human experiments are as the Admiral said last episode.

>fully automated luxury communist future
Get it right. It's "full automation gay space luxury communism".

She's lived amongst (mostly) humans for nearly 8 years. She also has been trying and up until relatively recently was receiving coaching on being more human like. So, it actually makes quite a lot of sense. That said, her hair still looks like shit. It was decent when it was straight. When it looks like it does now I have a hard time mentally distancing her from her TWD character.

The show is focusing on her because that is the way the show is designed. They thought they has created a likable, sympathetic character. Apparently, they did not. And its giving airtime to Ash because he is the main antagonist Voq in disguise.

>after hours, Starfleet officers on a top-secret ship get together for a Dawson's Creek house party complete with the mildest rap hits of 1997!

It's everything the ENT producers managed to fight UPN about. Can't wait for the live band episode

No, she says eugenic experiments weren't allowed. She is specifically calling out genetic tampering which is a big no-no in human society (and now the federation in general) since the Augments. Cybernetics is a-ok as evidenced by multiple bridge crew members.

Crap, you're right. That said, I'm pretty sure the ship's sensors in STD can distinguish between species.

Sensors aren't that advanced yet. They can't distinguish between different species. That's why Kirk and Spock are always fucked when they beam down to a planet and get separated from their communicator, because the Enterprise can't tell them apart from everybody else on the planet.

If you scan a fake-human with a tricorder, you can see that, say, the heartbeat is wrong and the temperature is wrong. That's how McCoy diagnoses a secret-Klingon in The Trouble with Tribbles. But the tricorder isn't advanced enough to outright tell you "This is a secret Klingon" yet for another 100 years.

>after hours, Starfleet officers on a top-secret ship get together for a Dawson's Creek house party complete with the mildest rap hits of 1997!

Everything about the party was fucking cringe.
They even did that typical sweeping shot in near every fucking frat/house party in late 90s/early 00s film from a girl playing beer pong, to sculling a beer, to the guy trying to kiss her and her brushing him off.

Sure people having a R&R party, but they did absolutely nothing and showed absolutely no imagination to show what a party would be like in 2250. A chance to world build a little bit and they were too lazy.

Could you fucking assholes please learn how to post on an imageboard? Jesus christ.