JRJR

Is JRJR a good artist in Sup Forums's opinion? I've always felt he either knocks it out of the park or he doesn't even show up to the game.

pic related is just a random sample from All Star Batman

He used to be good but has gotten bad the past couple of years. Happen to a lot of people though.

I love his pencils, but his art lives and dies by the inks and colors.

It's all really based on how his pencils are ink and how it's all colored. I personally like his work but at times it can be hard to look at.

I think you guys might be right.

I feel like his work on Superman was rather shoddy, but I really liked The Last Crusade and All Star Batman. He did a much better job at those.

Not anymore

As a Marvelfag I was happy when he went to DC

I love him. Have since the first few comics of his I've read. His art exudes POWER like nobody else can. And I love how Kirby-esque his designs are.
Really surprised/disappointed by how much hate I see aimed at him hereabouts.

Yeah, I dig his stuff.

yeah he's one of my all time favs.

So who did 90's eXtremeee better? Liefeld or JRJR?

oh god JrJr. he has like basics and training to build on. dude was in comics for like 20 years by the 90s!

His Daredevil work and All Star Batman look great, everything else from him I've either disliked or hated.

I dig his layouts and panel compositions.

He makes the action look really good on the page, but I do agree with this user a lot of his work seems to be hit or miss due to inks and colours.

I find a lot of artist aren't good at movement and action, JRJR is good at those (with the right inkers and colorists, true).

What I mean is, take Batman for example, you have him go into a room to beat up thugs and it's him punching two bad guys and jump-kicking another, all in one panel. It's very boring.

I'd argue that Greg Capullo and Frank Miller in his glory days are some of the best at drawing action ever.

JRJR's fine. It's not like his style has drastically changed over the years. The really lies with modern inking and coloring techniques. They just aren't able to properly complement his (and for example Frank Miller's) style. If you look at just the pencil or inked art from his earlier work, they're pretty similar to his current work.

Is it because they use digital methods?

He used to have better inkers. Williamson, for example.

Frank Miller's action only looked good for a few years(around Ronin), other than that for the most part the characters are in very awkward poses, layouts are good though.

At his best he's fantastic. At his worst he's still serviceable.

That's a lot better than can be said for some other artists, so he gets a plus in my book.

Dan Green is still alive right? Why doesn't he ink Junior anymore?

I saw a convention Q&A where Greg Capullo said JRJR was one of his biggest inspirations and still is, and that he has comics by JRJR at his desk to look through when he doesn't feel very inspired to help him.

I think there's some influence there, but Capullo is overall better, and more consistently so.

yeah Superman was with Klaus Janson who used to be excellent and now isn't so great. All Star Batman was with Danny Miki who inked Capullo for all his Batman run and is probably the best inker in the buisness

I love JRJR, probably my favorite person at DC right now

I thirded this.