Why did he freak out when he found out from Ana that the memory was real?

Why did he freak out when he found out from Ana that the memory was real?

I don't know. Either it's because he realizes his life is over and he's going to be killed, that he had parents all this time and could've had a happy life that was taken away from him for some reason, or maybe even that he is now the chosen one(lol not really tho) and has a HUGE shitstorm in front of him that's he's the central part of.

he freaked out because he had proof to believe he was deckard's son and she cried because she knew that was her memory and he pretty much was looking for meaning where there wasn't any, since the memory wasn't his.

this

>raised as a slave
>act like a slave
>life sucks except for virtual waifu
>convince self all happy memories are fake
>it turns out they are real
>wasted all those years of his life up to that point
>will never have a chance of living normally, and now he's going to be hunted and killed

He's one of the new Nexus 9 replicants and he's compelled to always obey his boss and fulfill his missions.
But his current mission is to kill Rachael's lost child, and he just confirmed that *he* is the child that must be killed. So he just kind of has a meltdown because he really doesn't want to die or have to lie to his boss.

Because they knew half the audience would have fallen asleep and wanted to wake them up to the sound of "GOD...DAMMIT!!!"

>Toggle
There are several abrupt scenes like that in the movie that cut the silence like a knife and I love them. Probably my fave one is when K sets off the trap in Deckard's hideout. Sound effects pron.

He realized he was special all along.

I don't think he actually wanted to be special. I think replicants are only happy when they're serving humans in some way. Luv serves her master, Joe serves his boss, and the rebel replicants serve the half-replicant half-human child. So he was unhappy with the realization that he was special because it doesn't actually align with his innermost desires.

That doesn't necessarily have to contradict with each other. Women in general want to be special and a servant.

Even Luv wanted to be special as daddy said she's the best.

Is this mid-tier bait?

>Joe serves his boss

Yeah he fucking LOVED doing that right? Did you even watch the movie?

wait i just realised that she fucking left him thinking he was a human when she knew it was her memory

WHY ARE WOMEN EVIL REEEEEEEEE

>The only thing that binds you to reality is a memory that isn't even your own.

Luv is a representation of her master's love for his creation. His only love for his creation is that he takes pride in being their creator; other than that he hates them. She emulates that behavior by simultaneously having great pride in herself and hating other replicants. She does this as an act of service to Wallace, not out of an inner desire to be special.

>wake them up to the sound of "GOD...DAMMIT!!!"
lmao exactly when i went to go see it with my dad. he fell asleep after leto was cutting up replicants

He did enjoy doing it. Did you watch the movie?

I think he did want to be special because of what Joi says to him when he's looking at the DNA lab. He had previously told her about his memory of the horse (and the date written on it) many times before, and now he saw the same date on Rachael's memorial tree when she died in childbirth. Joi responds to this by telling K that she always knew he was special and that he is a real child born from a woman. And since Joi always tells you what you want to hear, that means that K really did want to be special like that.

Joi doesn't always tell you what you want to hear. She's supportive, but also honest. Joe probably didn't want to hear that he would have to risk Joi getting destroyed by taking her with him, but she forced him to listen to reason.

her tagline is literally "everything you want to see, everything you want to hear"

Who the fuck is spamming this shit on every board the past few days?

she's a product made for humans, so everything humans want to see/hear. Also she's a product in general; she's not omniscient.

Replicants have a single desire that really defines them: they want to be like humans. They cannot, however, be human; they don't have the same emotional depth, among other things. So what makes replicants happy then, is to be human-like, and to serve humans.

Some would argue that humans have a similar relationship with their creator. A desire to be like their creator, but a limitation due to not being exactly like their creator.

Serving humans does not make replicants happy watch either movie again and fucking pay attention for once in your life.

it makes Luv happy. She lives for Wallace's praise

then why is it that the only thing that causes them to revolt is thinking they are human?

>they don't have the same emotional depth
Why, because you fucking decided?

Being human doesn't mean serving humans.
It didn't make Roy happy.

That was essentially the 'proof' for him that he was Deckards kid; That would in turn make him a massive fugitive and he'd be hunted until death.

Roy was an old model

no, because it's obvious they aren't emotionally affected by things the same way humans are. Joe kills a replicant, and when he gets back to base it has had no effect on his emotions. If a human kills another human, especially that brutally, it has an effect. He reads at baseline when they test him though. The only thing that throws him off is thinking he's human, because it gets in the way of what he really wants.

So what?

old models aren't obedient, read the text at the beginning of the movie.

what ultimately puts Roy at peace with himself is helping Deckard.

I will say that I'm not sure if old models and new models have the same desires. But the new models definitely want to obey humans

is there webm of BD2049 ending with real human being in the background?

New models aren't obedient either, watch 2049 again. Maybe pay close attention to the part where Luv stabs a human and says she's going to lie to Wallace.

I'm sure if you sincerely convinced a person that the thing they just killed "wasn't real" they'd probably shrug it off too. That's kind of the point.

not really, he just wanted someone to hear his memories before he died

she doesn't disobey a direct order. In a way she's "obeying" him by killing someone who foiled Wallace's plans (temporarily). The only reason she lies is because she knows Wallace actually cares about humans, and wouldn't be happy with her killing a human

It's even more grey, as the police chief actually gives Luv permission to kill her.

99% of them are always obedient. They've been in production for 13 years and people like Joshi still think replicants like K would never lie, and no one even suspects that they have an underground army. If there had been a recurring rebelliousness problem with them, they would have stopped producing them.

she's not the chief, she's a lieutenant and she's just the head of the LAPD "Retirement" division

it's one thing when a human kills a replicant because it's "not really human." It's another thing when you kill someone similar to yourself. Or if you want another example, think back to when Joe finds the child slave shop. He doesn't care at all about the kids, he just cares about doing his job (at least at first). You might remember that the human is freaking out because he's doing something illegal/immoral, but Joe doesn't care at all because that's not what he's there for.

There is a fucking recurring rebelliousness problem. Remember that scene with all the fucking REBELS?

the rebels are a recent phenomena, and all of them rebel because they thought they were "born." Ultimately they all end up serving the half-human half-replicant girl.

Yeah but there weren't that many rebels in that one sewer. Maybe like 40-50 at most appearing in the background. An actual army is tens of thousands, at the very least. And like I said, the new models had never been known to cause rebellions before.

You're probably purposefully yanking my chain but if you are actually misinterpreting the movie this bad then I feel sorry for your parents.
Same with you.
>Every single rebel is in that one sewer to tell K to kill a guy.

neogaf refugees

It's been 13 years since the new replicants were introduced and they're still being manufactured as fast as Wallace says he can make them. They would stop producing them if they were actually problematic. The Nexus 8's caused the blackout event and halted their own production within like two years of being introduced.

That. Is. The. Point.
He's been conditioned his whole life to believe he shouldn't care about these things. He's seen fucked up shit his whole life and been taught that it's what's normal and approaching it with a straight face is what is expected of him.
Him realizing he might "have a soul" makes him realize that the way he's been made to think his whole life might be a fucking sham.

It's more like he wanted something in his brief existence to have meaning, and he gets that by saving Deckard instead of letting him die.

>and all of them rebel because they thought they were "born."
>source: my ass

They literally don't though. They don't have memories, they aren't born with connections to other people, so they have no context to even understand emotions if they had them.

Why do you think the rebels are being so fucking sneaky about everything. It's literally why Dave Bautista's characters chooses to get killed rather than taken in by K at the beginning of the movie. It's literally why Deckard runs away and hides in Vegas for 30 years.

>They don't have memories
Replicants have memories. Watch the movie and keep yours eyes on the screen this time.
>Aren't born with connections
Humans are born with 'connections' in the sense that they have parents, but they are dumb fucking babies that can't understand shit.
Replicants are created with a job in mind and have more of a connection from the get-go than a fucking human baby.

I'm starting to think he watched a different movie about faulty robots rebelling against their creators because of a bug in their code.

The entire soundtrack is trying agressively to keep the audience awake

If they were allowed to periodically punch the back of each chair they probably would have

>they aren't born with connections to other people, so they have no context to even understand emotions if they had them.
Alright, at this point it's pretty fucking clear that you either didn't watch the same movie as me, or you just happened to miss the point of it by a fucking mile.

Just because some of their memories might be artificially implanted when they are "born" doesn't make them any less significant. If you found out tomorrow that you didn't actually experience what you identify as the first half of your life would that mean that every experience you have is somehow less valid or complex than a "real person?" No it fucking wouldn't. Things only have the significance that we give them. You deciding that "being a real boy" somehow gives these things more meaning is silly, shortsighted, and arbitrary as shit.

>she knows Wallace actually cares about humans
I don't think he actually cares about people, he cares about being the guy that takes the stars for humanity. He's an egomaniac. A better explanation would be that killing humans is likely to bring him down and all replicant production down ... although she does rampage through the police station so maybe not.

It's a metaphor for the autistic, metally ill millennial. No wonder it passed all over your heads.

But why did SHE cry when she saw the memory?

It was her memory, that she recreated artificially and sold to Wallace to put into replicants.

So why did she burst into tears when she encountered a replicant with her memory? Since that was what would have actually happened, her having created it and sold it to Wallace and all...

maybe the memory of being hunted down, beaten up and forcibly gangbanged by a group of horny young boys brought back some bad memories.

I mean... since she recreated the memory that probably took her days to do, you would have thought she wouldn't burst into tears having run through it like a thousand times (during its creation)

But if the reason was...
>That was a bad experience I had in that memory I created, which was implanted in you

then... ok...

Perhaps the memory was extracted without her knowledge. You are assuming she built a facsimile of her memory and implanted it when she reacted to it as if reliving it for the first time.

Perhaps the memory was fake for her as well and the horse was planted.

His Boss was one of the most sympathetic characters of the movie and I was kinda sad when Luv killed her, since she actually liked K and helped him as much as she could.

>we all thought we were the child

That's not the line, try again.

Imagine knowing that every thought and action you made in your entire life were entirely wrong. Imagine knowing that the person you killed yesterday was probably your biggest lead to find out who your father or mother is. Imagine denying every single memory (that you secretly love) and living like a one-note slave for a company for your whole life.
He's angry at himself for basically wasting his entire life up until that point just by ignoring every memory he had.

Maybe. But his general demeanor doesn't really change afterwards. He still kills Luv and doesn't seem too affected by it. Even after he sacrifices his life so that Deckard can see his kid he doesn't appear too emotional. They just don't possess the same emotional depth as humans.

he's already famous and everyone loves him for saving society. He wants to take humanity to the stars because he sincerely believes that is humanity's destiny

pray tell, what's the exact line

>So why did she burst into tears when she encountered a replicant with her memory?

They mentioned it was illegal a while ago.
So she cried because she thought she might be in trouble? Then he started yelling and she cried harder , put her hand on her mouth.

>tens of thousands
Read a book brainlet

Wasn't the entire point of him going there to confirm whether or not it was his memory? If she knew that it was her memory and not his why didn't she tell him? She could have ended the misunderstanding there.

"We all wish it was us, that is why we believe"

They do a lot of damage in the anime short with only a couple of rogue replicants. They can also do a lot of damage with 50.

She didnt tell him because he was a cop and she would be admitting to a crime against him

Because it was illegal, and she obviously messed up this guy so he could be retired. It was the opposite effect of what she intended, to help him and now she thinks she's in trouble with the police.

While she was pondering what she's done and what to do he left

I'm not sure that's the actual quote

it's the exact quote man, download the camrip

>ywn be this autistic

She empathised with how painful it was for him to realise he had been enslaved and brainwashed.

Why do we like this movie again?

Well I mean it's not something that happens often to find out your entire life was a lie. Many people would react differently, I mean any reaction is as good as any. Goose threw a chair.

Besides he basically thought he killed his "uncle" because Sapper birthed him.

I believe you. Either way it lends itself to a similar interpretation: they rebelled because they believed it was them at one point, or at least wished it was them. They all have the memories, they break out of their normal lives through those shared memories

>hey rebelled because they believed it was them at one point, or at least wished it was them
But it doesn't .She uses wish in present tense. And she's the one who helped the childbirth, why would she ever thought she was the child.

She's an old model, the whole issue was that they were rebellious. Even if they never thought they were the one, they rebel because they wish they were the one. They rebel because they wish they were born, they wish they were human.

Because that description of the events in the movie is wrong.

They rebel because they have emotions and desires just like real humans and don't want to be treated like appliances.

K had the memory implanted for a purpose though, he served as a decoy 'chosen one'. Ana telling him the truth would've ruined the plan. Hence her crying, she knew he was a replicant with a fake memory but was forced to keep it a secret.

>K had the memory implanted for a purpose though, he served as a decoy 'chosen one'

There's nothing in the movie to even suggest this.He was a standard issue replicant, he got his childhood memories made by Ana like many other replicants did. There was no grand conspiracy.

>they rebelled because they believed it was them at one point

I don't think that's true. Obviously if there's a hidden miracle child waiting to be unveiled and break your chains, it's not uncommon to wish you were that child. But they rebelled because they were humans with human emotions and reactions and society treated them like shit.

they have emotions, but they're not as emotional. It's all over the movie. His face never betrays emotions, he doesn't react to things the way humans do. But even if they were just as emotional as humans, that doesn't change the fact that they have a desire humans just don't: They want to be human. Humans don't WANT to be human, we already are human. We may want to be normal, but we don't aspire to be human. Replicants aspire to be human, thus they aren't human. They rebel because they want to be human; they want to be the child, they want to be born. But because they have this desire, they will never be human. Joe realizes this in the end. He saves Deckard, and ultimately appears to die so that Deckard can meet his daughter. Joe understands that he will never be able to have that experience because he isn't human, he's a replicant. But he has also made himself like a human by dying for what he believes in. The whole story is about coming to terms with what you are, even if what you are isn't necessarily what you want to be.

>greatly empathize with replicants
>do something illegal to try and help them
>lie to a replicant to save your own skin and cause them severe mental stress
Gee I dont fucking know user.

All of the stuff with Stelline seems intentionally ambiguous and open-ended. There's a valid interpretation of the story where she didn't even know that she was a replicant, decided to sell one of her real memories, and the plot is put into motion by chance when that memory happens to be implanted into K. Or maybe she does know that she's a replicant and she used that memory so that K could lead Deckard to her.

What? No.
Ana makes her memories and sells them to Wallace, who then randomly implants them in various replicants. Not all replicants have the same memories, which is evidenced by Ana making new ones all the time.
K just so happened to be one of those replicants who received the memory she made of the orphanage, and the wooden horse. He was also the only one to find the date on the tree, recognize that it came from the horse in 'his' memory, and was then the only one to track down the orphanage, recognize it as the one from his memory, and subsequently find the wooden horse, thus proving that the memory was real.
K was in the right position at the right time with the right memory. It's coincidence. He was never part of a plan. He was looking for a boy, because he saw the duped records of the boy and girl with identical DNA, and was already well on the way to believing that he was the child he was looking for. That's why when the resistance lady reveals that Deckard had a daughter, he's destroyed. Not once did he ever factor in the possibility that his memory, though it was indeed a real memory, didn't actually come from his experiences. It came from Ana, who had been using it as part of the memories she sold Wallace, for decades. K was never part of any plan.

If K betrays the emotions he so obviously is feeling throughout the movie then he'd be 'retired' because he's way off his baseline.
Also, humans may not have the desire to be humans but there is a term you might be familiar with: basic human decency. Plenty of humans have a desire to be treated with basic human decency.
Replicants also want to be treated with basic human decency.

Bonus:
The story is about what it means to be human.