Are comics a good medium for the horror genre?

Are comics a good medium for the horror genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

emcarroll.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

Do you have any examples of a good horror comic done well?

emcarroll.com/

Parts of Derelict.

Rachel Rising.

I've heard Junji Ito will spook your spaghetti.

The funny thing about Ito is a lot of his stories have crazy good build up but shit pay offs. A lot of his great stories are even pretty silly and over the top. His truly scary shit lays in the stories not many people talk about.

The scariest one in my mind is still the one with the guy in the addict who comes down to eat dinner with people hiding him from being conscripted into the war. The twists and payoffs are great.

not sure if its still relevant

Fuan no Tane

>The scariest one in my mind is still the one with the guy in the addict who comes down to eat dinner with people hiding him from being conscripted into the war. The twists and payoffs are great.

Do you know the name? You've got me curious

ty

They can't do jump scares, so no.

Very much so.

Since comics are basically the cheapist visual medium,
All you need is a good artists and an interedting story and the world is your oyster.

Plus scifi/horror fans and comic readers prolly have a huge overlap, considering the mountain of movie franchise comics such as Aliens, EvilDead, Godzilla, Hellraiser, etc.

This is a decent list, minus the joke addition of The Unfunnies.

It's still horror. Just a very different kind.

Can literature?

Can sarcasm?

Also, horror is a shit genre

Not the other user but remember reading it ages ago. Pretty sure it is called "A Deserter in the House". Look it up.

No fiction can compare to the real life horrors of living your life, eh?

Al Columbia is the best horror comics artist

Yes, but horror =/= terror.

Comics arent for terror, but horror, hell yeah.

my favourite is alien 9.

Yeah but don't expect them to actually be scary or invoke feelings of terror in people.
Were too desensitized for it to work.

That manga's ending was fucking retarded.

Is OP's pic supposed to be mothman?

Getting fulfillment primarily from shitposting with a sense of superiority on an anonymous message board is the truest horror there is.

yes

No, but manga is

Depends.
The big issue I think is that people try to make things scary, but do it in the wrong way.
Comics aren't film, and that's what most people equate with horror. The sounds and moving visuals don't translate to a standing page, so creators need to think differently when they make them. Loud noises and jump scares just aren't as effective when the only noise you can make is the turning of a page.

It's not great for jump scares and other shit, which a lot of on screen horror has to rely on. But it can do more disturbing and psychological stuff, rather than being scary.

Psychological shit usually falls short for me because writers get stuck up their own ass trying to be super deep.
That's the big issue with manga, Japs have some straight retarded existential ideas and always think they're more clever than they are.

Does Coffin Hill count as horror?
Haven't read that in a while.

depends.

nah, i dont find it scary, more like shocking, he has a couple good scary ones, I admit

Not Sup Forums but Uzumaki gave me chills. It's manga but it isnt weeb trash, if that worries you.

those arent scary, but they can be fun to read

Any new horror series coming out this year that people are looking forward to? Aliens Dead Orbit is the only thing I've seen talked about

I can't think of any specific comics but I think they can be really effective at horror.

When you read a comic, all you have is the words and the image. You control the 'pacing' by how long you linger on a panel ie. when you come to a really creepy panel you might stare at it for a moment or two, letting it get under your skin.

You also imagine the sound in your head. Just the impression of what the sounds are can be effective.

In a movie or show, the sound and pacing is all at the whim of a director. They have to control every element to make it effecting. Much harder to do than just provide the words and images and let your imagination do the rest of the work.

DID SOMEONE SAY TERROR?

There was a lot of Clive Barker's stuff adapted to comics (as well as Hellraiser comics) that are pretty much all super solid.
It's a bit bold to say they're all good, but I haven't come across one I didn't like, yet.

Anything by Clive Barker or adapted from his books.
Gyo, Uzumaki and most what this guy has done

Son of Celluloid

id say so, though the artist would have to have a borderline masterful grasp of, uh, well i dunno what, to capture that unease and dread a spooky image can give you

Jump scares are the cheapest form of horror.

Nice, that's actually a very nice and spooky picture.

They're great for atmosphere, but not - WHAT WAS THAT FLICKER OF MOVEMENT?! - style suspense. So maybe cosmic horror or bad trip horror.

Kind of. But trying to write in real time is a losing battle, "suddenly" anything is just going against the grain of the medium. Jump scares are cinematic.