Do you ever sympathise more with villains that are evil for little to no apparent reason than the ones that actually...

Do you ever sympathise more with villains that are evil for little to no apparent reason than the ones that actually have a backstory in which, if looked from their perspective, would put them as the victim in the plot?

I enjoy unapologetic villains more because they enjoy what they're doing instead of having some tragic backstory to try and make me feel bad for them.

I don't know user, your opinion is kinda shit
>pic related

>Ozy
>villain

Why was he the bad guy again? The gypsies were ruining his town right? He was only thinking of what's best for the city.

He still hated Quasimodo and made his life a living nightmare.

Frollo was a lot younger and more sympathetic in the novel. He treated Quasimodo well, actually, and was a good surrogate father. Disney just needed an evul villain.

Hans did nothing wrong.

He still killed Quasimodo's mom, treated him like shit growing up, and wanted to kill Esmeralda just because she was hot and rejected him.

>that actually have a backstory in which, if looked from their perspective, would put them as the victim in the plot?

Gee, George, I don't know, didn't you sign off your franchise to Disney?

Well, although he was nicer to Quasimodo in the book he was still an obsessed autist who had Esmeralda executed just because she didn't love him, and abandoned Quasimodo when he was caught and tortured.

Still nicer than book Phoebus.

when you get right down to it, all evil is just selfishness
selfish ambition is different from selfish revenge, but in the end I don't really sympathize with any of them. the villains I identify with most are the well-meaning imperialists that try to take over the world/galaxy/tri-state area for its own good

>Tony Jay singing about how he needs to rub one off.

If that doesn't make you love Frollo, then fuck off. Seriously, Disney paid Tony Jay to sing about masturbation and you dorks are making such a fuss. What is wrong with Sup Forums?

Historically sure. But in the context of the movie all they did was street performance for tips.

I vastly prefer guys like Doctor Octopus and stories with lower stakes.

and it's not like the native french were any better, or the north africans. in fact i think that's why they're called gypsies, they were confusing them for egyptians. everyone poor was a piece of shit criminal and everyone rich was an asshole. the only decent folk as always were the mercantile class, and a lot of them were cheats too. which is why they enacted really tough punishments for, for example, bakers that tried selling you smaller amounts of bread, hence the baker's dozen. france takes their bread seriously

I find the evil-for-sake-of-being-evil bad guys more sympathetic. The sob-story villains come off as crybaby bastards to me.

This too. When I play Civilization I often feel as though I'm liberating the world from those too inept and corrupt to rule properly. I can understand being surrounded by morons, I often described myself as an average man in a below-average world, so I see where imperialist villains are coming from. Hell, who hasn't looked in the news, read about their leaders and said "Fuck, I could do a better job tan this shithead?" Because that's the essence of being an imperialist villain, seeing a bunch of shitheads with power and knowing you could od better.

To be fair those street performers eventually got together and started performing executions of interlopers. Though to be fair that was probably more due to the whole hunting them like dogs thing.

basically if you CAN take over the world, you should. and if you fail you don't cry foul, you just accept not being in charge
the only problem of course is when you resort to mass murder and terrorism and shit, because that's cheating. anybody could take over if they did that, but then nobody would stay in charge for very long.

yeah there's some chicken and ape shit going on there

he was planning a genocide of the brown degenerates taking over Paris

>He still killed Quasimodo's mom

No, she ran and he pursued.

The Brain was never a villain, he was an intellectual fed up with human society being incredibly stupid and cruel. He did bully Pinky but you saw how much he cared about him so he was right. He probably would have done a better job. Not only was he much smarter, but he was capable of more empathy.

Brain did nothing wrong.

>selfishness

Not really. Villains are the ones that take action. Heroes react.
A menacing aura, plus disregard for morals, and the tendency to disrupt the heroes status quo. That's what makes up a villain.

Think about Mad Max Fury Road. Why was Immortan Joe considered the villain? He did nothing wrong.

Breaking Bad and Death note too.

When the villain is the protag, basically.

He Can Hide From His Guilt And His Minions
You Can Claim That He Haven't A Qualm

>Not really. Villains are the ones that take action. Heroes react.

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."

this

ultron

movie ultron i mean