Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OCR6DTbcpik
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/184-i-get-wet/
starburnsindustries.com/downloads/I-Hope.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=fRZHsqvoJMM
youtube.com/watch?v=mFpQQM1pfUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gllubhlblblblbl

Justin Roiland dreams he can even come close to this.

INNN MY TEEEAAAARRRRSSSSS

Moral Orel's the reason I got into the Mountain Goats, which is at least partially to thank for me realizing I needed help before I killed myself. So, thanks Orel.

It's not your time..

THERE IS NO SIGN OF LAND

YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH ME

HAND IN UNLOVABLE HAND

>tfw you wanna get into Goats but have no idea where to start

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THAT THE WORLD WAS GONNA END

youtube.com/watch?v=OCR6DTbcpik

Just check around on YouTube.

Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree. Once you've absorbed those you can listen to any other ones.

I started with Tallahassee but it's kind of a weird album

Really start with The Sunset Tree

>we will never get another animated series like Moral Orel
why even live

It's hard enough that Dino can barely get work

What went right?

What went wrong?

1. Tallahassee and Sunset Tree are two of John's best albums, and are also the first ones he did with like a full in-studio recording, so while none of his later stuff is really "inaccessible", that's really the best point to jump in at.

2. Try All Hail West Texas. It's probably his best album, but it's also still part of his low-fi phase. And by low-fi I mean "He recorded it on his panasonic boombox over a long weekend when his wife wasn't home". It's brilliant, but some people just can't get over the sound, and if you can't get past it there, the rest of his back-catalog isn't going to get any better for you.

3. Just stick with the full albums at first. There are like dozens of EPs and old cassettes floating around, a lot of which ended up on compilation albums, but just stick with the full ones at first.

IF YOU LIKED ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS, TRY:
- Coroner's Gambit
- Nothing for Juice

IF YOU WANT MORE STUDIO SOUND, TRY:
- We Shall All Be Healed
- Life of the World to Come
- Get Lonely

Damn these Vampires, Up the Wolves, black pear tree, This year, Cry for Judas

Theres some songs to look up. Branch out from there

This is meant for

Seriously? poor dude

Why not?

BORN DOWN IN EL PASO

Thanks guys! I will look into these suggestions. Sup Forums doesn't have a recommended MG album

Right now he's trying to get his comic off the ground and he's releasing it independently.

Comes out in march

Good job user

>Pitchfork gave Beat the Champ a 6.6 because they don't like wrestling

>Pitchfork's opinion
>ever

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/184-i-get-wet/

I bought the preview too, it came with his autograph

Huh, that's cool, had no idea.

Love me some Moral Orel. That last episode still makes me a little choked up.

Music is way too much about personal taste, I don't know how anyone could follow people who review music
Beat the champ is great tbqhwy

Pitchfork is the fucking worst with the Mountain Goats, honestly.

According to their ratings, they'd rank the Albums

1. All Hail West Texas (9.0, but on the Rerelease)
2. The Life of the World to Come (8.4)
3. All Eternals Deck (8.1)
4. Heretic Pride (8.0)
5. Transcendental Youth (7.8)
6. Get Lonely (7.6)
7. The Sunset Tree (7.2)
8. We Shall All Be Healed (6.9)
9. Tallahassee (6.7)
10. Beat the Champ (6.6)

Someone explain this shit.

I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down.

And here's the first track, which came with a link to anyone who bought a preview
starburnsindustries.com/downloads/I-Hope.mp3

>that scene where Rick tries to kill himself to shitty music

I cringed

The review itself was fine, the score was completely out of left field though. So out of left field that John Darnielle joked about them accidentally having the score upside down.

>That list

The fuck?

I hope you die.

Holy shit, I just started listening to Matthew 25:21 right before I saw this post.
>And you were a presence full of light upon this earth
And I am a witness to your life and to its worth
It's three days later when I get the call
And there's nobody around to break my fall
my fucking face when

Transcendental Youth is my fav.

No wrong place to "start" honestly. It's just music. If you hear a song you like grab the album and listen to it. Odds are good there'll be other stuff you like there.

Sunset Tree and Tallahassee are good too. And honestly, I don't give a fuck about wrestling but Beat the Champ is chock fulla' feelings.

youtube.com/watch?v=fRZHsqvoJMM

>TFW saw the Mountain Goats in September on my birthday

rad fucking birthday. John's a god.

Beat the Champ is about Wrestling as much as the Wrestler is about wrestling. Spoiler alert: It's NOT. It's about FEELINGS

What's so bad about Beat the Champ? It takes a couple of listens to turn good; it's not THAT bad of an album

Not all of the jokes hit perfectly but the emotional core became so powerful it literally doesn't matter in the slightest.

I agree with #1 whole heartedly.

I can't pick a 2nd or 3rd rank for the life of me. I like the vast majority of his catalog and can't choose.

that song is actually about his mother in law dying of cancer
which makes it even sadder

>What went wrong

Tonal shift happened too quickly, tried to cash a check for emotional investment in its characters it never earned. One episode has Orel impregnating half the town with a turkey baster and another has him bathing in the blood of his friends, how am I supposed to care that his dad accidentally shot his leg when he's practically the anti-christ already.

Goddamnit David

The worst thing about 2016 is that the context of Cubs in Five is now shot.

also, in this performance, he almost breaks down in crying, but manages to compose himself (at 4:45)

Tallahassee and Heretic Pride are my personal go-tos.

oops
youtube.com/watch?v=mFpQQM1pfUc

I wonder what scene Bob Odenkirk is referring to.

hand me your hand

let me look into your eyes

>Transcendental Youth
>A 7 in any way, shape, or form

Why was Clay such a terrible person, Sup Forums?

Not the best of upbringing, and then he married the worst kind of person for a someone like him.

So if the series were to continue, what do you think would be the most fitting end for Censordoll?

Doing voodoo

Getting miraculously pregnant so that she thinks she's the Virgin Mary and releases her grip on the town to better suit her new image. Then the baby dies in the womb

We Shall all be healed is my favorite because of the music and some personal expierences that really changed the way I viewed that album.

Most people who start listening to The Mountain Goats because of Moral Orel should listen to Sunset Tree and Tallahassee. Those are the Albums that the songs in the show came from and those are the albums that deal most heavily with a fucked up home life.

I really love the older stuff that came out before Tallahassee the most but I have a hard time recomending those albums to people who aren't already fans. They're really raw and unpolished. Mostly recorded in John's room on an old tape recorder usually while he wasn't sober and can be hard to get into. But I think that the older stuff has the best stories, lyrics, and references. There's one old EP where half of it was just references to Things Fall Apart by Achebe.

But if you just listen around the discography for what you think sounds great then you'll find what you love. Sunset Tree, Talahasse, We Shall all be Healed are solid. I'd move from the center of the catalogue (the previously named albums) out. If you like the raw emotion and lyrics more then go into the older stuff. If you like the more polished parts move forward. But The Mountain Goats are an amazing band. Hard to really go wrong.

alternative start points are All Hail West Texas if you have ever lived in West Texas/The Panhandle or Life of the World to Come if you like religious imagery and don't mind flipping through the bible to see the verses the songs are named after.

Why Did Dino have the best taste in music. Moral Orel and Frankenhole made me fall in love with so many of my favorite artist. Io Perry doesn't get enough love.

Also. Was Frankenhole bad? It gets no love but I remember loving that show to death. Everything about it was amazing to me.
>that accurate Frankenstein's Monster

>I cringed
Back in high school, I had an art class that this obese retarded girl was in. Sometimes the teacher would make little jokes that were dumb, like "If you lose your pen, just dip your finger in ink and write like that". Every time he said something like that, she would shout "Nuh uuuuh! That's not true! That's dumb!" then look around the room for validation that this guy was an asshole when, in reality, she was. Now, this girl was (and is) retarded, so nobody actually thought she was an asshole.

However, when I see people like you throw the word cringe around wo desperately, it makes me think of that fat retarded girl. The difference is that she was retarded. What the fuck is your excuse?

in high school i knew this autistic guy who would talk forever and not really have a point.

I hope we both die.

I think Beat the Champ throws some people off because it isn't (clearly) about his personal home life or abuse, and rather about "low-brow" wrassling, but its become my favorite albums in that it tells a full story. You have a guy who travels all around the Southern US and some parts abroad to perform shows for people, missing out on his home life and stability and kids, but doing it because he loves it.

Some songs reflect on his (the wrestler's) childhood, where it was an escape from his circumstances. Others focus on how your body gets used up in these fights, fake or no. He prides himself on taking chokeholds, stabbing other people with foreign objects and gets lost into his character and wrecks some poor kid. He gets involved with shady wrestling promoters who arrange matches where he or others could seriously get hurt, all for the idea of making a good show.

It's a powerful story, and the songs wax and wane as the main character either questions, relishes, hates and finally quietly accepts his role as a wrestler (which has implications for any grown adult, if you think about it).

God forbid, this along with Clay's breakdown in Nature was heartbreaking. Not in the 'Oh, I feel bad for a few minutes'. No, it made me honestly cry.

Mainly because I empathized with Clay and his situation a lot more than I cared to admit. Especially self-hatred and the relationship aspect.

Pretty much. I think the biggest problem is that Rick and Morty has is that when Rick is revealed to be 'depressed', it acts as an excuse. Rick is ultimately exonerated from his shitty behavior because he feels bad about himself.

Clay on the other hand, for all his issues is shown to be a pathetic human being. Perhaps one who is understandable, but still a shitty human none the less. Something that I fucking love.

Speaking as a guy who has a history of self-hatred and anger issues, having mental problems has a huge impact on your decision making, but it's not an excuse. It's something you learn to either live with and accept will always be a part of you or you ignore it and let it consume you.

There's a reason why rick is popular as fuck with normies and certain kinds of assholes who lack the mental capacity for self-reflection while clay is all but forgotten outside of Sup Forums.

Met a guy in college who regularly used memes in his dialogue and would turn up his voice whenever there's an "audience". He was also fat and liked to keep to himself.

Yeah... I mean, I don't mind the fact that Rick is revealed to be depressed, I mean I enjoy drama mixed with comedy, but I just hate how it's executed.

I mean, the closet thing we got to a second Clay, Bojack falls unfortunately into the same category sometimes. The show does go out of it's way to show how pathetic he really is, but unfortunately you get the morons who think that his bad childhood and depression are to blame.

and the rising black smoke carries me far away, and i never come back to this town again

>Speaking as a guy who has a history of self-hatred and anger issues, having mental problems has a huge impact on your decision making, but it's not an excuse. It's something you learn to either live with and accept will always be a part of you or you ignore it and let it consume you.
Holy fuck, this. I wish my teenaged dumb ass had realized this sooner.
I swear to God teenagers are universally mentally handicapped or something (relative to adults I'm pretty sure they are).

>I swear to God teenagers are universally mentally handicapped or something (relative to adults I'm pretty sure they are).
They medically are. Human brains are not done developing, and therefore don't have their true capacities, until into the early twenties. Given human history, this doesn't exactly mean that you can't trust them with heavy responsibilities, teenagers historically were. But that they're still getting the ropes of the whole "being a human being" thing. Making them practice being an adult more might actually help out with that while their brains are still piecing it all together, of course.

That's kinda of true. Our brains when we are teens are still developing. Things like risk assessment, emotional maturity and so on haven't really formed. Also hormones are fucking exhausting to deal with as well.

Combine that with the shitty experience of high school and so on, it's no wonder teenagers can be messy emotionally.

Theres enough content there you can just go to spotify/google play and just stick it on shuffle and find something you'll probably like

I was never quite able to figure out why people who praise rick and morty for how deep they think it is bothered me, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

>reading Punpun while listening to Mountain Goats
I recommend only if you need a hole carved into you with chopsticks.