Marvel economics

real talk co/ is Marvel’s diversity strategy paying off? it backfired and allienated the old fans and didn´t bring the new ones?
no sjw/anti sjw bullshit, let´s talk real numbers
will dc go the same route?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/vrqwK6r?r
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It doesn't matter

Bendis, Waid, Spencer will keep writing for Marvel. Sales drops will not interfere with their message

DC did what Marvel is doing now with DCYou in 2015. Rebirth is their way of reclaiming lapsed readers they alienated in the past.

Marvel is no real rush to win back readers because they really care about LCSs anymore. they're trying to build up a portfolio of kid friendly books and Star Wars they can sell in Disney Stores and other outlets

>Sales drops will not interfere with their message
but are sales actually dropping?

>let's talk real numbers
Marvel's sales are a disaster on the direct market, but they claim to be selling well on the digital market.

However, the digital market doesn't release numbers.

So we will never have an informed conversation on Sup Forums about how well Marvel's strategy is paying off, because we honestly don't know and we're only guessing.

Anybody that gives you an answer is a liar or a fool.

I'm six months behind on Marvel, who the fuck is the top left guy?

Mosaic. New character they were trying out. Nobody have a shit.

I do hope Marvel Rebirth is around the corner since everyone is dead or in a coma, it's super easy to bring them all back as a big (Actually impactful) event that could get readers back in with this soft reboot style like DC Rebirth

Yes, they've actually resorted to overshipping just to fluff out the Diamond numbers and it's pissing retailers off, since while it sounds free they're actually still stuck with the shipping bill, and they're left with books they have no space for because they can't move them. Champions is hurting the retailers because of this.

We can't know how digital sales are doing, aside from the fact we can see top-10s and DC has been doing better since rebrith with those, but we do know that on the physical side they're really getting reamed.

Is that Riri in the front? Isn't she supposed to be 15 years old? She looks like 50.

My LCS had so many issues of Champions that they're overflowing on the shelf. I won't be surprised to see them being given away like candy since I'll doubt they'll sell by the time FCBD rolls around.

Cause Deodato is really slipping.

op here, thanks for the answer user

>ey've actually resorted to overshipping just to fluff out the Diamond numbers
holly shit i didn´t know that, they`re really desperate

>We can't know how digital sales are doing, aside from the fact we can see top-10s and DC has been doing better since rebrith with those

I remember years ago, when "Injustice" was on his first year, and in digital sales ALL top 10 was just "Injustice.

Then in 16º you would see some random Wolverine digital comic. It was crazy.

I really doubt that Marvel do better in digital sales than DC.

Remember how they use google traslator for his spanish dialogue

I'm completely okay with that because Bendis is the only one that doesn't have a way out.

Is that a paladin from the Brotherhood of Steel in the middle there?

It's obviously a gundam.

We'll have a better idea when we get Jan sales. When do we get those?

...into tracing territory.

>Mosaic. New character they were trying out. Nobody have a shit.

And now Marvel is going to replace even more classic characters with diverse replacements. You say you hate Marvel's legacy characters and want new original diverse characters instead but I guess you couldn't put your money where your mouth is. Thanks a fucking lot, Sup Forums.

Well sorry for not giving a shit about yet another gas mutant.

I like my superheroes to get their powers via accidents, aliens, or just plain bad luck, fuck the x-gene and fuck magic mutant gas crystals.

good writing would have made him make a difference. He didn't have that and died. really pretty simple

Stop shitpushing this same memethread every day.

We all get it, "DURR, Marvul is going bankrupt becuze they ern't Nazis! Muh poor white rase needs hulp!"

It wasn't anything but your shit-stained headcanon two years ago, it's still nothing but that today.
And FYI: DC is already copying everything Marvel's doing in their half-assed poorly thought out way.
Or did you not read any comic-books recently?

The fuck is that line of thought?

Now are we supposed to buy a bad comic of a new character because otherwise Marvel will kill a classic character and publish a bad comic of a legacy character? How about NOT buy what is bad?

Fucking Marvelfags and their Stockholm syndrome.

Hail hydra to you too buddy.

Marvel interns are getting more and more violent.

I hate Marvel too but you made this thread earlier, Sup Forumstard?

If Blacks can't buy white characters then why do you think whites should buy black characters?

Is Ms. Marvel the best newcomer in that image?

Oh boy the Disney shills are really out for blood

Her comic is currently undergoing a free fall.

It's an AV-98 Ingram from Patlabor colored gray.

Nice bait and as much as you want to disagree with how marvel is doing, they are doing poorly but its bit because of diversity, its their shit writers and seemingly lack of editors. DC is still going strong if you actually read the comics, Jl vs Ss was great and and old concept but the writing made it good, the current superman arc is awesone, the longer king does batman the better it gets over time, nightwing just got real in the last issue, the phantom lantren was a cool as fuck new character

Someone needs to post the fucking maths test required just for comic shops to get rare variant covers. It's literally homework.

Thats crazy, i knew some 1/100 or 1/1000 variants were hard to get in for small shops but i never knew there was a fucking equation

Congratulations, you display exactly as much intellect as violent antifa protesters.

I think there wouldn't be a problem if the new diverse heroes had better stories and had more character to them. New ghost rider has been pretty cool. Silk started off pretty bad, but once she was out of Slott's hands, her character improved dramatically. I don't think Marvel is completely beyond hope but they do need to rethink their priorities.

It's crazy.

(Sorry if this is a picture for ants. I'm on mobile)

m.imgur.com/vrqwK6r?r

yep, they do the same thing with skottie young "Young" variants. once you meet the quota you can order as many of the variant as you like though. unlike 1/100's which is self explanatory. the latest walking dead had a 1/50 variant, I think my local guy bought like 5...

And what would a a lcs owner need to do to get varients for DC
Probley somthing 100 times worse
So shut up about it

Is not diverse, there's nothing diverse about the characters outside of kamala. The rest are just "something"-american.

Just like with Johns OC lanterns, they offer NOTHING that can't be done by white characters, they all shart, they all clap and they all eat burgers.

Diversity is about STORYTELLING. That's why the first BLACKWING or Nightrunner in Morrison's Batman inc were diverse characters, their background was actually different. Meanwhile 90% of marvel's colored guys have the same background: slums from new york.

It's Pandering, not to the fans, but to the SJW of the internet: it's about free publicity, it's about using them to get attention, they know this will not last, A white guy from Moldova? that's diverse. A native american character from a small town in alaska that has to deal with drugs and weird forest monsters? that's diverse, A russian soldier that has to protect a syrian city from the bombings of the americans and the rebels backed up by the americans? That's diversity. Some Indian superhero that has to deal with poo in the loo?
That's diversity. There's nothing diverse about Maria America or riri. Moon Girl, Jaime Reyes and Kamala are actual diverse characters, even if they all suck, they AT LEAST offer something interesting, The rest are just mouthpieces.

>And what would a a lcs owner need to do to get varients for DC
>Probley somthing 100 times worse

With DC you literally just tell them what variants you want. They only do free to order ones.

Stay mad, Disnigger.

One guy already told you but the current state of DC variants is that there is always one extra variant for every rebirth title and they're standard order stuff.

isn't that also true for characters getting other characters identities?

>hurrrrr this is bait

The user was asking a fair question you memetard

Nobody is saying Marvel is going bankrupt, the MCU has made sure that's not happening anytime soon. Just that the comic side is suffering.

>And what would a a lcs owner need to do to get varients for DC

>Retailer: I'm ordering fifty issues of this DC title, I'd like ten of those as the variant.
>DC Diamond Rep: Sure, you can have as much of your order as variants as you'd like. They're free to order after all.
>Retailer: ... I love you, man.
>DC Diamond Rep: Uh... I... I love you too sir. Have a great day.

>Jaime Reyes
>suck
He's one of the few minority legacy characters done right.

The MCU side is with Disney proper now, user. It's as much a subsidary as Pixar. Marvel just has comics, TV/Netflix and licensing to merchamdise companies. Marvel could safely die or be shuttered, with the TV and licensing business moved to Disney as well and the movies would continue to come out.

It's their job to make new minority characters that attract readers. Don't blame the fans if they're not interested in shitty characters.

>Marvel comics are shut down
>the movies start using OCs
>they hire Bendis

>disney in charge of making good original content

oh boy

The diversity isn't the issue, it's just poor writing. Diverse legacy characters are great if they are written well.

>And FYI: DC is already copying everything Marvel's doing in their half-assed poorly thought out way.

>let´s talk real numbers

real numbers 2016 year started out slightly worse month-for-month on 2015, which is far from unusual in comics; but by the end of the year iirc they were making more money and printing fewer comics, which is less of a bad thing than you'd think

DC meanwhile doesn't appear to have shifted underlying sales from where they've been the past two years or more despite a huge relaunch

the problem with trying to pander to existing audiences, especially if they have polarized views of what the product should be, is that you risk failing to please them in the short term while driving away new readers in the long term

basically, even if the younger readers have less money and buy fewer comics per head of population, they're also less likely to die in the next few years than the older readers are, so it actually makes more sense for the long-term preservation of a business to go for younger audiences; that may be a relative term (a company that produces incontinence underwear for geriatrics is obviously going to go for old people as a primary market, but again - it'll be the younger ones who become the longest-term customers)

whatever Marvel/DC do in the next few years, if they do end up pandering exclusively to the whims of older readers, it means they're not planning on staying in publishing: the way things have been going for DC for several years now, I can honestly see that happening and their IPs being shifted to merch-only, with DC becoming a reprint line as part of that, producing nothing more than trades of classic stories (classic stories as defined by the WB marketing division, based on upcoming movie offerings)

>the way things have been going for DC for several years now, I can honestly see that happening and their IPs being shifted to merch-only, with DC becoming a reprint line as part of that, producing nothing more than trades of classic stories

That means the LCS think they can sell them. They're free (or paid for, however you want to argue it). There's no reason not to try and sell them - it makes money for the store. If it didn't, they'd just throw them away.

Again, the publishers can't force the retailers to display or sell titles.

Personally, I don't know why Marvel is doing the overshipping thing. Maybe they're just proving a point to DC/their own board - you can't just flood the stores with cheap/free copies like Rebirth did and have an effect on your sales. But then the question becomes why do it now, after DC has already proven that as its own sales remain unchanged from pre-Rebirth levels, now that the sale or return promo has ended?

The answer to that: Marvel planned it during Rebirth's early months without trying to analyse what the underlying sales figures were like, and didn't understand that Rebirth was simply massaging the Diamond shipping figures without affecting readership sales.

For real, it a Power Armor model someone ported to Poser that the artist used to make the comic.
Some times he added a Labor head to it for the scenes she was with her helmet on.

>The answer to that: Marvel planned it during Rebirth's early months without trying to analyse what the underlying sales figures were like, and didn't understand that Rebirth was simply massaging the Diamond shipping figures without affecting readership sales.
Marvel interns getting into the "alternative facts" business.

Sure thing, let me just pull out Marvel's marketing data and... well, would you look at that? I don't actually have it!

Probably because if it were subjected to rational scrutiny by the thinking public they'd be the fucking laughing stock of the corporate comic books industry.

>hockey stick
>hockey stick
>graph dated from 93
>charts upsidedown

Comics are source materials for the movies, though. Disney won't shut down their "House of Ideas".

Who cares? They are a triple AAA corporation who can issue their own credit. They'll just get a bigger bank loan.

>who do jewdo?
>you do jewdo!

Considering the only thing Age of Ultron and Civil War had in common with the comics is the title, it's pretty easy to shut down Marvel publishing.

It would be a mistake. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy. That came from a fairly new, mostly obscure comic.

>Guardians of the Galaxy
>fairly new

>1990
>fairly new
Casual much?

The non-30th century version is fairly new, and it has almost nothing in common with the original besides the name and the occasional appearances by Major Victory and Starhawk.

Whor did pretty good numbers for a couple of years so you have to assume they get some amount of new readers.

Isn't that just the first issue of their series? I think the name and Yondu appeared as far back as 1969.

Yes. Therefore the GotG aren't new at all, and is a complete faggot.

So they share the same name that makes the story in the two series the same? No

26 years is new comparing to the real shit

>26 years is new
You refuse to be wrong, huh?

Not the same user, mate.

Only saying that comparing with the AAA-Heroes that have +40 years of existence, GoA is a newer IP

You know math right?
40 > 26

It might have worked better if they didn't constantly relaunch and clutter the books with crossovers.

>comparing with the AAA-Heroes that have +40 years of existence
You didn't say so before. Too late, casual.

>26 years is new comparing to the real shit

You sure can't read "hardcore"

No, their comics havent been doing this bad for decades. Disney will keep the ip intact with both movies and toy merchandise, both which amusingly have nothing to do with the new "diverse" Marvel comics.

Look at the Marvel toys Disney sells and its the classic Spiderman, Hulk, Thor and IronMan. No Riris, Miles Morales or Whors in sight. And there wont ever be. This is a gimmick which will eventually die out.

Marvel's been killing it with the toys, honestly. I work retail and am always impressed by the Legends line and surprised at the characters I see people pick up. Just the other day someone bought the Shocker with Silvermane's head+R/C car.

>Riri front and center
man the drop off from #1 must have really hurt his ego, huh

>"black"

fuck inhumans

Why are disney shills so sad and pathetic bros?

>ghost rider not pictured
CANCELLED

>DC meanwhile doesn't appear to have shifted underlying sales from where they've been the past two years or more despite a huge relaunch
>90% of the best selling issues are always DC with a few Star Wars shit in between

Keep trying man

It's crazy cause none of the people stated actually really did some cool shit like real darkies like that black science physicist who isn't the meme guy or the guy who made the super soaker (He also made a bunch of cool technology shit we never discuss.)

Not in December and January, even DC is failing now.

Sure, sure.

December
> 5 out of 10 are DC books
> 3 out of 10 are Marvel Heroes books
> 2 out of 10 are Star Wars Books
> 1 out of 5 of the DC books are #1
> 2 out 3 of the Marvel books are #1
> 1 out 3 of Marvel Books is the final issue

You know how many more #1 Marvel had in December? Do you want me to give you the numbers?

Actually it was not meant to you but to

Sure. Earn your non-existent salary posting non-existent numbers.

Also in January wasn't like 7/10 DC books with JLvsSS crushing everything?

> 2016+1
> He doesn't know what is Comichron or where those numbers come from

Oh boi, don't talk about things you cleary don't know about casual!

I don't think Comichron as the numbers yet

>I'm so mad that I cannot even spell

> He thinks everyone has 10/10 perfect english

Sure dude keep being this little sad man that you CLEARLY are

I think Moviebob is on-point for once. Comics don't make shit regardless, they're just IP farming for when their real money maker needs new characters. Re-casting the old ones would be the living death of the MCU.

>man the drop off from #1 must have really hurt his ego, huh

How much did it drop?