Awaiting Costume Reveal edition

Forced into exile:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKMp96cphc
youtube.com/watch?v=gvXDD2shejg
youtube.com/watch?v=-wLnlym5faI
youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>...the best place to begin is Series 1, episode 1: “Rose”. This is a solid jumping on point for multiple reasons, but perhaps the most important one is that no knowledge of previous Who seasons or lore is required. You can know nothing about the show or its history and still enjoy this episode. In fact, you can know nothing about the show and enjoy the entire first series. Christopher Eccleston plays a mysterious, brooding, and occasionally manic version of the Doctor that serves as an excellent introduction to the character and his history. Billie Piper, as the titular Rose, is both well defined but enough of an everyman for you to easily relate to her and her reasons for joining the Doctor. While the minor characters of the story, such as Jackie and Mickey – Rose’s mother and boyfriend, respectively – don’t add much to the plot or development, they add a layer and depth to her character that many companions from the Classic series initially lacked.

>Now, I’ll admit that “Rose” hasn’t aged particularly well when it comes to production values. The CGI is… camp, which is the kind way of putting it, and the monster of the episode is downright silly to watch at times. However, this episode does succeed in delivering what it needs to, and it does so in a charming, simplistic way. It introduces you to the character of the Doctor and his lifestyle, it establishes what a companion is, how they relate to the Doctor, and why they choose to travel with him. It introduces you to cornerstone elements of the series, such as the TARDIS and the sonic screwdriver. It even seeds the beginning of a story arc that still continues to this day and has had a profound impact on the character of the Doctor and the lore of the series.

Rose succeeded everywhere the TVM failed. Don't get me wrong, I have love for it in the same way that

do, but it failed because it was too entrenched in the VNA mindset.

1/2

Do we know any specifics about filming? Time and place, and will jodie be there? Which episode they're filming?

(You)
2/2
It was a terrible introduction to the series. It was too complex for new o even casual viewers to follow. Rose, on the other hand, streamlined and direct. It didn't require anything of its audience, simply for you to watch and learn.

On top of this, Rose isn't nearly as problematic as the TVM. It doesn't fuck with any preestablished Who lore, and while I don't believe in canon, a statement as apocryphal as "I'm half-human!" does nothing but fly in the face of everything the series had established, which will do nothing but confuse new viewers further.

Anyways, I meant to post this hours ago, but I was at work. Oh well.

but eleventh hour

The Eleventh Hour came at a very different point in the show's history. It wasn't burdened with the task of resurrecting the show (for the second time in 10 years). Hell, the same argument can be made for any series premiere besides Rose. That's why Rose is the best jumping on point for new viewers.

they're apparently filming in Ireland at the moment according to an eyewitness post earlier last thread, no sign of Jodie or the TARDIS yet

>Germany

We all know the real best jumping on point

Yes, Rose succeeded in spite of the big job it had, but that doesn't make it a better watch than The Eleventh Hour

Sure, I agree completely. TEH is way better as an episode. But that's not the argument here. The argument is what succeeded in its goal: TVM or Rose? The answer is obviously Rose because that launched what eventually led to The Eleventh Hour.

I wonder who could be behind this post.

I said Eleventh Hour because you said Rose was "the best place to begin".

post low res pics

to what end?

Because it is. TEH still begins in medias res, literally off the tail end of TEoT. There are characters and plot points in 11s era that really heavily on stuff from the first four series.

There are characters and plot points in 9s era that really heavily on stuff from the first twenty six seasons

Every entry point has prior continuity that's part of the appeal of the franchise. The purpose of a jumping on point is to actually be welcoming and compelling. The context of when the stories were produced has nothing to do with getting someone hooked who is starting today.

not actually though.

in s5 the doctor asks amy about events that happened in series 2, nothing comparable happens in s1

Definitive best jumping on point is the first story in this you guys.

By the sounds of this, we probably will have un-intentional Billy-fluffs in the Xmas Special
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKMp96cphc

except an entire mostly offscreen time war that I would think is more agonizing for a newcomer than something they can actually watch.

that is, assuming we're this hung up on alienating continuity in the first place. which somebody new wouldn't be they're just signing up for a sci fi spectacular. dunno how a nickelodeon soap opera is your best bet to have them sticking around.

>yfw we have these and 12 corrects him at first but soon goes "ah forget it"

>Ah I see my future incarnation got a maid for the ship, brilliant thinking my boy

Guys, you know what comes with zero continuity and also happens to be GOAT?

this was the earliest full story example I saw on eyespider. The Exiles, that is.

except the time war isnt a reference to past events in the shows history, only past events in the canon

yeah exactly. I think continuity you can actually reach into is pretty compelling. Having Classic Who as a possibility really got me into Who early on. So something like The Eleventh Hour showing an entire history of lead characters faces is a better hook than a girl who doesn't know how to google and a crappy website that only has pictures of one dude. It was good for the wide audience of the day, but somebody starting the show offseason in current year would be more prepared than those people. I'd think so at least.

i don't understand the thinking behind "thank god there's such an extensive catalogue i have to get into before i can fully appreciate the show!" being more appealing to an audience member than being presented with a new narrative throughline

>puh puh pizza
>burping trashcan
>shit special effects
>not even in HD
>old fake ass websites

lmao user why do you like this crap

Nah, I get what user is saying. I think NuWho benefits from the fact that when the show says the Doctor is a billion years old and has saved a trillion planets and beaten a gorillion monsters, it's not just the writer saying that, you can actually go back and see those adventures. Regardless of whether you actually want to see them, that makes it feel more earned. An Unearthly Child is still a superior first episode though.

I'm not even that user, but I'll defend Rose anyway.
Actually, I don't even need to defend Rose, because this clip says more than I ever could.
youtube.com/watch?v=gvXDD2shejg

>say something that sounds really deep and interesting but doesn't actually make sense
>"forget about me now, I must go"
even cheesier than the burping bin.

>doesn't make sens
when the fuck has the conceit of the Doctor ever made sense?

Believe it or not, sounding deep and interesting is actually what writers do.

okay dude just tell that to your would-be fan when they laugh at you for making them watch this shit

I know people who got into the show this year by watching Rose. If they don't think it's compelling television because of one bizzare monster scene and because the fucking websites aren't up to date, they're probably just televisually illiterate. also
>Basing your opinion of Doctor Who on the opinions of normies

>How do we get people to watch my favorite show
>Oh not normal people, only geniuses who watch Rick and Morty and other high quality science fiction shows

Why do you care so much who watches Doctor Who? (When the answer is a lot of people, because of Rose)

Viewing figures have been going down for years and I don't think Rose does much good for that in 2017

Reminder that normies respect old black and white shit because they associate it with classic movies.

?????????????????
That doesn't make any fucking sense. An episode from 2005 doesn't save the (very, very different) show in 2017. You're effectively blaming An Unearthly Child for the 80s cancellation.

I think we have very different definitions of what constitutes a normie

The question was "How do we get more people into Doctor Who". Showing them an episode of a "very, very different show" won't get them watching series 11 and won't help the ratings. Not its fault, but reality

If the show is supposed to last, there have to be new jumping on points

Yeah, that's what the first episode of Series 11 is for.

>But muh plot points will come from earlier seasons!!!

One of single greatest moments in Doctor Who.

Even better than 'Don't You Forget Me Sarah Jane' from Hand Of Fear.

"Rose" is best kind of awesome !

Wait, who/what are you trying to mock here?

vintage meme

I was originally posting that to be festive but now I'm just finding classic goodies

Doctor Who is dead.

KINO IN THE STREAM. NEW !!!

Adam Orford knows about /who/

The Doctor shouldn't be caught up in the petty prejudices of his day, he should be well beyond them. I don't recall One ever displaying any "harmless chauvinism", the only prejudices he held were towards cultures or peoples he deemed primitive or uncultured.

Honestly, I'm surprised he wasn't more overtly sexist. Even Captain Kirk (more prominently Captain Pike from the Pilot episode) portrayed more sexist attitudes in the intentionally utopic Star Trek than The First Doctor ever did.

I remember those memes.

have you ever dressed up as something from doctor who for halloween /who/?

Thirteen costume reveal today for Halloween. Get hype.

I can dream, right?

I feel like the costume reveal will either be really soon or not until after the reveal. heres to hoping

also does anyone know how to Find integers s and t such that 527,760 = 2,961,110,016 s + 2,637,110,736 t

jesus christ could we get some news about the 13th
i need something

by reveal i mean regeneration of course

apparently it was confirmed that she'll be northern yesterday!

sad, and the hoax that Kris would be Irish doc

Your professor must hate you man. There are two ways of solving this shit and to do that you need to find GCD. Have you tried wolfram alpha?

>64 posts in 6 hours

Doctor Who is dead.

527,760 = (2,961,110,016 * s) + (2,637,110,736 * t)
like that right?

the GCD is 144, it says to use a method show in the lectures but the only method they used in the lectures is the retarded fucking Extend euclid table one

ill give wolfram another go, cheers user

youtube.com/watch?v=-wLnlym5faI

/who/ fan film when
think so.

based middle 8

>think so.
shouldn't you have 2 equations?

with brute force I found this

s = 18559223442307
t = -1.652850692040*10^13

Kindanon, let us know how it went :)

I'm getting this weird feeling. My dad usually gets up to pee in the middle of the night and I haven't heard him do that yet. I'm starting to think dreadful thoughts that he died in his sleep or something but I have no way of checking without waking him up.

Are there any "die suddenly in your sleep" diseases or disorders that leave no symptoms throughout the day? He looked normal all day and night that I saw him.

C'mon /who/, I need the Doctor right now.

have you failed to reply to a cursed post?

what the fuck thanks judes that could actually help a bunch

My mom is already dead so I have no obligation to reply to those threads.

SOMEONE HELP ME IS MY DAD DEAD OR DOES HE JUST NOT HAVE TO PEE

IM HAVING AN ANXIETY ATTACK NOW

Guys. I'm real worried. My two uncles haven't texted me back yet. Its been 12 hours. They're in Syria on vacation

Oh man. I need help

I'm getting this weird feeling. My son usually gets up to set report in the middle of the night and I haven't heard him do that yet. I'm starting to think dreadful thoughts that he died in his sleep or something but I have no way of checking without waking him up.

Are there any "die suddenly in your sleep" diseases or disorders that leave no symptoms throughout the day? He looked normal all day and night that I saw him.

C'mon /who/, I need the Doctor right now.

I'm getting this weird feeling. My son usually faps loudly 3 times middle of the night and I haven't heard him do that yet. I'm starting to think dreadful thoughts that he died in his sleep or something but I have no way of checking him dead with his meat out.

FUCK ALL THREE OF YOU FUCKING CUNTS I WAS SERIOUSLY WORRIED I GET REALLY PARANOID EVER SINCE MY MOM PASSED AWAY AND /WHO/ IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT HAS ANSWERS SOMETIME ITS 4 AM FOR ME AND I WAS PANICKING

FUCK OFF

>11:15:48
>11:16:51

upvote

check this spoopy
youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU

post who a e s t h e t i c s

test

twice upon a time.png

>Cornell dialogue

I'm not sure if I like this or hate it

>bought a Sup Forums pass 12 times