What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1502.03808
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Very little

Brother plot went nowhere, intermittently cutting him burning the fields with cooper suffocating didn't work well

What the fuck was that moon hoax scene at the beginning?

>"Love, Tars. LOVE!"

Aside from that 10/10 movie.

you have to be joking

Nope. Love transitioning through time is stupid. Morse and binary traveled through time. At first this made me hate the movie. But I love it now. It's a good science fiction.

no its not

McConaughey is absolutely miscast, whole premise of a movie falls apart if you know anything about physics, moon landing scene made no sense, the love monologue is so fucking cringey I literally winced few times listening to it, Nolan seriously thought it's a good idea to "reference", that is, thoughtlessly copy 2001 Space Odyssey, visuals were awfully cartoony and unimaginative, and most of all, the whole black hole shit was an insult to intelligence of anyone who read even most basic info on them and of course, for supposed great director the amount of hollywood cliches is off the roof.

this movie succeeds only as a brainlet filter and final proof that Nolan is skilled movie-maker and director, but sucks at writing.

>he was the first choice for BR2049
Imagine all this shit above but in BR2049. Just imagine the stench of rotten carcass of original after Nolan would rape it with his "style".

>Nolan is skilled movie-maker and director, but sucks at writing
It is you who has been filtered in every sense of the word

Nolan can't direct his way out of a cardboard box, but this movie is still genuine kino

refine your taste

oh, and I forgot - if the mc I forgot the name of because he was such a well-developped character DIED at the end then at least his arc would have some sort of gravitas BUT WHO ARE WE KIDDING, Nolan CANNOT stray too much out of hollywood storytelling cliches and so we have to sit through a "touching" scene and sequel bait.
Also
>find the top secret NASA base
>they let you and your daughter hang out cuz u wuz a pilot and shiet

the more I think of this movie the more angry I get, pic related

bitch, I might be a fag who only recently started watching more movies and my taste might need refining, but Nolan can keep the pace and dramatic tension. Inception was also full of brainlet moments and yet it was a good, well crafted movie. Interstellar wasn't even that.

I'm talking about writing because about writing I know the most. And it was shit.

>but this movie is still genuine kino
lol stfu
2001 Space Odyssey is kino. This was a pretentious borefest which tried to be profound and utterly failed.
inb4 muh visuals
those were also shit and basic af

they literally had a well known theoretical physicist work on the black hole visualization
arxiv.org/abs/1502.03808

I had to check the address bar after reading your poast

also, there are at least 2 other papers that came out of this, but I cannot be bothered to find them

Fuck you the score alone is worth it

>whole premise of the movie falls down if you know anything about physics
There were two incels at the end of the screening I went to, who said something similar. You know that they knew fuck all about physics because they said that. That's how I know you know fuck all. Do you know who k. Thorne is and his role in the movies production?

Why is it always some spastic who writes a fucking essay who gets it wrong..

did they also used theoretical physicist to create a fucking time observatory within black hole, which miraculously didn't shred all his molecules apart and crush it into two dimensions like real black hole would? did they use him to justify MC ending up right next to fuckin Saturn which made no sense?

>muh visualization
typical brainlet, thinks it's all about how it looks

not an argument
also, I'm sure you're a newfag compared to me

Anything beyond the event horizon of a black hole IS theoretical. It could take us into equestria for all your hopes.

You realize though that what actually happened once he entered the event horizon wasn't him entering the singularity but the tesseract the future beings built?

i've been here for 11 years boy

Those faggots never went to the moon in real life too. You should know this in 2017.

>there are people who defend this piece of garbage
>the absolute state of Sup Forums

Who gives a fuck you goddamn numale cocksucker
>muh authority
whole black hole shit was dumb as fuck, he shouldn't have survived it, at all. what he contributed about gravitional waves was introduced by a plot device known as "wizard did it", bastardized and dumbed down for audiences.

Unless you believe that supposed astronauts would explain themselves fucking wormholes and basic shit they should know about beforehand since they are, y'know, astronauts.

>defending a shitty movie which tried to use authority of scientists to pretend it's something that it's not
dishonest cinema in its finest

this is another problem
whole premise hangs on "future beings" without examining anything about them, questioning their motives, anything and their existence in itself should be a major spook for characters, audience is just told about them and that's it
they're just future and they're just beings who help mankind cause idk lol
just another plot device without much thought, just to get the movie going

>Anything beyond the event horizon of a black hole IS theoretical. It could take us into equestria for all your hopes.
Russel's teapot is also theoretical and yet nobody spends milions of dollars to make movie about it
and we do have an idea what could happen.

>tfw only 10 years
you win this round

looks like some little lad someone left his fidget spinner under his pillow

I too am too smart to watch interstellar, how are your PhD candidates doing fellow tenured professor?

Truly, my audacity to discuss a movie I claim is bad is out of bounds.

>I too am too smart to watch interstellar, how are your PhD candidates doing fellow tenured professor?
>he thinks it's pretentious to claim that Interstellar is a shit and dumb movie

tons of plotholes everywhere

even the basic premise (having to leave earth) is flawed - if they're able to keep the blight out of their giant spaceships, why not just keep the spaceships on earth and just live inside them here?

but I really enjoyed the visuals and the soundtrack so I didn't really care too much

love, TARS, love

>McConaughey is absolutely miscast
What? No.

Also the movie is NOT about scientific shit, no one but the most autistic retards give a single fuck about the black hole and all the other scientific mumbo jumbo in the movie, it's a fucking drama that uses sci-fi elements to create its drama.

I hate how Nolan is revered here as the non plus ultra of the cinematic art but this movie is a fucking great blockbuster, if all the blockbusters were like this I wouldn't mind.

Just appreciate for the good blockbuster it is. How the fuck can a blockbuster be pretentious? The fans can be but the movie is honest.

In the end the movie doesn't provoke much thought and doesn't even try to answer existential questions like sci-fi usually does, it's only an emotional voyage.

>whole premise hangs on "future beings" without examining anything about them, questioning their motives, anything and their existence in itself should be a major spook for characters, audience is just told about them and that's it
>they're just future and they're just beings who help mankind cause idk lol
>just another plot device without much thought, just to get the movie going
Do you take a look and analyze the hand that reaches you when you're drowning? I don't think so.

>if they're able to keep the blight out of their giant spaceships, why not just keep the spaceships on earth and just live inside them here?
And what will humanity feed itself with, if I can ask?

What a retard.
You guys joke but that's exactly what the movie is about, the power and influence that relationships have on people, just think about it, Coop-Murphy, Brand-Edmunds, those are the engines of the story. It's not a fucking sci-fi movie.

If the movie had been about colonizing planets and the difficulties in it, it would have been great.
Sadly it was about "muh luv space time xd". Only brainlets like it.

earth and family plot was shit all along
space plot was good until they got to the magical library

TARS, set intelligence to 110%
>I'M PIIICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIIICK
Maybe set it to 90%

What did they mean by this?

yes, but which one was fake, the 1st one or the 5 sequels too? at that point why keep trying to milk the franchise?

> It's not a fucking sci-fi movie.
But all good sci-fi is about something more than spaceships lasers and shit

Nothing really, it was great

>If the movie had been about colonizing planets and the difficulties in it, it would have been great.
Lolno. Go read a book if you want that, you fucking autist.
Yeah, the point is that the sci-fi in this one is just a tool to tell a story about love and relationships but everyone only care about muh not realistic representation of wormholes, see the autismo I'm also responding too. Who fucking cares about that shit? It's like saying Star Wars is shit because spaceships don't make noises in space, it's retarded. Star Wars is shit for other reasons.

Seems like no one is able to enjoy a good commercial movie anymore.

Yeah, he was. He's not cut for dramatic roles.

The whole drama back on earth with "ghost" storyline hinges on black hole shit. The way plot is structured you can't really go around it.

>blockbuster
It was too drawn out as a blockbuster.

even if nobody ever examines the fact that there are other beings in the fuckin universe. that's pretty major stuff.

It really looks like a massive ass-pull, just to get plot going. Also
>be astronaut in a magic library
>try to communicate with daughter
>want her to tell yourself to stay

>instead give coordinates to top secret NASA base which lead you to that situation

bravo nolan

>muh relashonshibz
holy shit you must be a brainlet.
>bad writing
>nonsensical story
>cringey faux deep lines about love
>herpaderp 75% sense of humour

>good commercial movie
Inception is a good commercial movie. Interstellar is a one giant mess.

The last act.

>tfw too intelligent to watch a movie about relationships
t. you
Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean it's bad.

>Cooper, what are you doing?
>Docking

literally the most legendary film scene we've had in decades

Nolan tried to make both a hard sci-fi and an emotional family drama, and the two just didn't mesh together well. The hard sci-fi stuff was great (the exploration, the planets, the black hole, the time dilation), but the family drama was kind of 'meh'. The scenes on Earth without Matt sucked badly, and everything after he went into the black hole was atrocious. If the movie never cut back to Earth after the Endurance left, and it ended with Cooper going into the black hole and Brand arriving at the other planet to start the human race anew, it would be a near masterpiece, but that would be way too dark and bleak for most people.

Ok, honest question, no shitposting:

Don't you think a movie about relationships could be made in much less contrived scenery?
If you want to make a movie about relationships, then why you put in space? Why add all those black holes, gravitational pulls etc.?

Do you feel like Interstellar said something about relationships no other movie has said?

>>Do you feel like Interstellar said something about relationships no other movie has said?
No. It's a very commercial movie.
As I already said
>In the end the movie doesn't provoke much thought and doesn't even try to answer existential questions like sci-fi usually does, it's only an emotional voyage.
>doesn't provoke much thought
If you can suspend your disbelief then the movie is a powerful emotional voyage.

>Don't you think a movie about relationships could be made in much less contrived scenery?
>If you want to make a movie about relationships, then why you put in space? Why add all those black holes, gravitational pulls etc.?
All those things serve the purpose of amplifying the drama and the emotions caused in the viewer, they're a tool for creating a grand, epic setting.

It's a fucking blockbuster, you should be glad it's not the usual Transformers shit or superhero shit. The fact that people cry about muh plotholes or muh science is retarded. If you want thought provoking movies about relationships watch Malick, if you want autistic sci-fi, well I don't know but don't watch this shit.

This post right here, this is that stereotypical "I'm to smart for a movie" type post. When in reality he's like 12 years old

>tfw not 12 years old
>tfw I really might be too intelligent for Interstellar

For me complaining about plotholes and unscientific shit in Nolan movies is like complaining about the same shit in ET or Close Encounters and shit like that. It's fucking retarded and it means you don't get the point of the movie.

Sure, when making the movie they're trying really hard to make it in a serious manner but in the end it's still a fucking ultra commercial movie.

no interesting character, the black guy was especially useless. he should have gone crazy when he was alone for 20 years, that would add some character development and develop the plot around human beings but that's too hard for nolan. the LOVE part is also cringy because it's obviously a studio imperative and nolan is completely unable to understand human emotions. the woman exposing her emotions like it was some thesis is an example of how dumb nolan is for this

>tfw I don't really know if I should watch this because I'm not really a fan of Nolan's other works

Is it anything like Inception? Basically like tons of exposition scene plus showboating. I feel like Nolan has great material but not so great execution. Plebs seem to like it, though.

I mean, I would totally watch this if I didn't have 300 other movies in my queue.

ending made no fucking sense
>McConaughey's grandmother coming out of fucking nowhere

0/10
Why not watch it? Everyone has thousands of movies in the to watch list.

I guess the difference is that in movies like ET, the tone is much more light hearted and fantastic, so you're able to suspend some disbelief. In movies like Interstellar (and most of Nolan's movies in general), the movies goes for a much more realistic interpretation of the script, so it tends to highlight a lot of the flaws in the writing.

sure imma download the YIFY rip now thanks for reassuring me that it's not gonna be a waste of 3hrs of my precious time

>what went wrong?
Lack of restraint and some major structural flaws.
Like the pointless opening that takes place in the future just making sure to dissolve all tension.
The constant cuts back to earth don't really serve a narrative purpose beyond some really heavy handed emotional manipulation.
The movie, despite being about the vastness of time and space, is constantly tripping over itself to move on to the next boring set piece. The story is never given any time to breathe or decompress.
It's a fine film in theory, the execution is just so fucking sloppy that it just makes me seethe.

>what will humanity feed itself with, if I can ask?
The same things they're eating when the space stations are in orbit.
The blight is just a poor script element that raises too many questions the movie doesn't even think to discuss.

I'd agree about the "unscientific" complaints if the marketing for the movie wasn't loaded with DUDE SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY!

I recently rewatched this movie . Completely skipped the Dr Mann bullshit (30-40 mins) . Ngl I low-key enjoyed this version. Didn't mind the "love" is the key trope either .

You're shitposting on Sup Forums, on Sup Forums of all places, retard, your time is obviously not precious at all.
I don't know if they want to be realistic or not but they're more verisimilar than anything., they only seem realistic. In the end it doesn't matter if they are.
They only can sustain themselves for a certain amount of time before needing actual land, I guess.
Scientific accuracy in certain parts. But anyway that's marketing, are you so stupid that you care about anything marketing related? Can't you just watch the movie and think for yourself? As I said, for the story they're telling, in the end it deosn't matter if there's a plothole or the science is not perfect, even if the creators thought it was.

And I say this because I don't have enough scientific knowledge to judge the content of the movie, I assume you're correct but for what I know you might as well be wrong and everything in the movie is correct.

All the critiques seem like autistic screeching to me. Don't like the love stuff? Good for you, it doesn't make the movie bad. It just makes it dull, maybe, but still enjoyable.

>being this mad about a fucking movie

Please stop breathing.

He's mad at people, not the movie itself. If everybody plead no contest to it being shit, he'd not have posted, I'll bet.

>"Love is 5th dimension."
When I saw Anne Hathaway (scientist and astronaut) whining and crying about muh love, I left cinema.

Absolute pretentious garbage about how a black hole is actually quite a friendly peaceful thing that will save Earth from global warming and republicans and aren't actually the coldest most indifferent objects in the universe that will make spaghetti out of any human that gets within a light year of one.

>hard sci-fi
>gravity just makes you fall and messes with time and stuff

climax was way too stretched like with all nolan films, third act fucking sucked tbqh

trying to be scientific and shit but incredibly stupid

gross matthew mcconagahayahah sweating and panting constantly

It's just average so it will never inspire other filmmakers or become ingrained into pop culture.

Why in Gods name did they, as scientists, go to this planet?
Why didn't the ~15 hours they spent on Mann's planet result in any time dilation?

THIS planet.
>Don't worry Coop we'll check out the data when we get there

why do people that know this stuff get so mad when movies are inaccurate even about more mundane things

Try again.

I have to say that I enjoyed the movie but MUH SCI ACCURACY is bullshit.
If they needed all those rockets to leave earth, why this small ship can leave a planet with such gravity?

Why did they go into a planet that had 10 years of transmitted data after having a discussion about time dilation and that 1 hour=7 years. Why did they spend hours flyin to the planet and not hunk about this really simple math?
Why didn't NASA calculate this?
Why would Coop land in water up to the engines if water in the engines results in an hour reboot?

THATS the "muh science" of the movie for me. I'm fine with astronauts explaining spheres and black holes being magical portals.

Literally nothing.

ok guys I just have one question to the nolan dicksuckers, how can this movie be good when science has proven love isn't real and the whole film is about love, this whole movie is moot at that point.

As a fun adventure movie in space, I really like it. It's not a masterpiece or anything but it doesn't have to be. Did the movie try to be more than it actually was? Absolutely. Was this movie overrated to shit? Yessir, but I don't care.

Literally nothing.
That single film has more substance in it that gravity and martian combined.
It is just that space drama isn't everyones cup of tea.

Stop talking dogshit kid.
Not even one scientist knows exactly what there is in a black hole or what would happen if someone went in.
There are different views, and nolan went with the most interesting one(albeit the one that makes the least sense from scientific pov).
But then, it is a fucking film and a good one.

Because that small ship has limited fly range mong.
They needed to go out with a huge ship and rockets are the only things capable enough to propell it.
Try not to alt tab while watching a film next time.

literally everything lol

>brainlets are nolancucks

who would have thought????

nice rebuttal.
who would have thought you were a faggot ?

Well I did.

See

Dude the rockets are needed to leave earth. You remember the modules?
Yet the small ship can leave a planet with a stronger gravity.
You are the idiot.