Cinema dying or just Thor Ragnarok underperforming?

I went and saw Thor yesterday. Image related. Took the family in fact. It was better than I expected, the action scenes were decent to good, the Asgard scenes felt like a different and better movie, and overall I can say I enjoyed it with reservations.

What I was really surprised at was when I booked a last minute ticket for someone around three hours before the film, the entire seating plan was nearly available. Only five other bookings across probably a hundred seats. I checked in other screens and times and it was the same. Oh well, I figured, people probably just aren't bothering to book.

We get there and the cinema is empty. Tickets are at the concession stand... and to my delight all the Justice League junk is already out, so I grab a tub and the Superman topper to go with my BvS Batman one. I'd brought my disabled mom to get her out of the house, but she was disappointed there were no Loki or Marvel trinkets.

When we got into the screening my earlier assumption about people coming in later proved false. One or two people extra came in. There were ten-twelve people in the entire showing of Thor Ragnarok, newest Marvel movie, only a few days into release.

What the fuck? Is my local cinema dying or something, or is this happening elsewhere? I want to hear some experiences from other people who went to see it.

>Inb4 DCbros rip into me for going to see Ragnarok.
>Inb4 Marvelbros rip into me for buying JL cinema shit.

reddit the thread

capeshit the thread

BRAAP the thread

OFFICIAL manchild thread

>seating plan
Come again?

People grew out of capeshit

>monday afternoon isn't a popular screening time
woooow

Sup Forums the thread

>le kek

You don't book individual seats so you can dead-center?

Maybe. Or my city is poor. Or a new better cinema opened and I didn't get the memo. Or Thor isn't doing too well. I was hoping for a bit more engaging and reports from people who've been to see it.

I check Saturday and Sunday too bruh. Same thing.

Hollywood pissed a lot of people off with their arrogant liberal bullshit.

So box office earnings have been down all year as in the end people really don't need this shit to get by in their day.

>people aren't booking tickets to a screening for a movie that's being shown everywhere all day for the next month a week in advance
wooow

I think the only way for cinema to survive is if it becomes a streaming service like Netflix rather than a business like it is now. Having new releases streamed instantly into homes would be the best new way to go about it.

Capeshit is the death rattle of cinema

No, I just buy my ticket and sit wherever the fuck I want

>booking tickets for a movie like you do a concert

Found the millenial. That's fucking stupid. There's ALWAYS a good spot if you get there early enough.

It’s just the audience killing cinema with what they’re spending their money on and pissing off whoever’s trying to enjoy the movie with their shenanigans

>Loud ass older Black woman hollering throughout the live action Tokyo Ghoul movie of all things like it was Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
>the theater was only at 40% capacity
>Some of the audience (me included) went up to the back end
>the bitch can still be heard
>movie ends and says she it was a good anime movie and was hyped for A Silent Voice that came out a week later

Unless it’s Star Wars, otherwise you’re fucked

>watching shounenshit
>watching shounenshit in public
As if you're any better than her

I fucking hope so. I'm goddamn tired of capeshit

I saw Episode 1 on the first day in spite of fools camping out to see it two months in advance.

It's easy to see any movie on the first day or first weekend; just go to an earlier showing. That's all there is to it.

You're either a shill or just a cuck with a shitty taste. Anyway, saged.

>See a movie on Monday
>Theater is empty
Gee how shocking

>taking pictures of toys
Sad

t. didn't arrive even close to early enough

People actually watch Thor?

Could be that I guess. Box office results will show, and JL and Star Wars. If Star Wars isn't packed out in the first few days, I'll know my cinema is doomed for sure or cinemas in general are.

Actually discussed that on the way home. That probably is the only way.

In my cinema you have to choose your seat. They even turn the screen around at the counter when you buy it and ask you to choose a free seat. You get asked to move (and kicked out if you refuse) if you sit somewhere you didn't pay for.

Wasn't that bad for Thor, thankfully, though one dipshit had apparently decided he wanted to share a nasty cold with everyone because just had to see Thor while sick, and couldn't wait a week. Sniffing and coughing every couple of seconds the entire movie.

I actually posted them to show I wasn't lying about them already pushing JL stuff, and not even trying to sell anything for Thor. I was surprised. But sure, I'm just showing off my cheap and shitty merchandise.

Lots of theaters have assigned seating. When you purchase the beforehand, you can look forward n that location's site for the seats still available.

People are just broke after the summer vacation and saving up money for Christmas and New Year.

This Thor was a horrible, if you think it was good or great then you are incapable to judge a movie. I don't know with which frame of reference you could say this movie was good.
TL;DR kys

Non comic book fans started to become privy to what the studios were doing with the movies and now don't bother wasting their time or money.

>capeshit underperforming

sounds like cinema is being reborn.

I honestly didn't like it, the quipping really killed the movie for me, it was too much and even tho I liked some of the jokes, the majority of them sucked ass.
Also the music, badly chosen and too repetitive.
>*Immigrant Song starts playing on literally every action scene*

Its usually not unusual for screenings to be less then sold out, the same shit happened when wonder woman was released and people were memeing there were only 1 or 2 at the cinema and it still did beypnd expectations

Maybe your cinema is just shit, mine was almost sold out

Thor is already a massive hit every where. Sure it will do great with all those "legitimate" reviews

>You don't book individual seats so you can dead-center?
Is this an American thing?

I go to the cinema, pay for a ticked, go to the movie room, and sit where I want to sit

I hate that open mouth smiling Reddit men face. They always have the beard and glasses combo too. Ugh

*Meme face

>from people who've been to see it.
Why would anyone here go to the cinema when we can pirate it for free?

Nope, Brit here. It's not even out in the US for a few more days.

I-I have a feeling you will mock any serious answer I give, so fuck off.

>I-I have a feeling you will mock any serious answer I give,
You caught me. Fuck you.

It's over-performing always everywhere according to the available data. There's a semi-realistic chance that it'll have a bigger opening weekend than Justice League. Currently they're both tracking at about 110-125 million.