Alternative comics

Could I get a rundown/recommendation of some
all I really know is Jason, Ware, DeForge, Crumb, Bagge and Doucet
but what else is really out there
is there anything you feel is genuinely great?
who's the best in the medium these days? is Van Sciver really as good as everyone gives him credit for?

Give Me Liberty
An Army of Principles
Julius Corentin Acquefacques, Prisoner of dreams
Lone Sloane
Tales of the Beanworld
Frank

I don't particularly like of what I'v seen from Loane Sloane
avant garde or psychedelic style stuff never really is my thing, like McCarthy's stuff turns me off pretty hard
Frank looks really great though, is it like it has a art style similar to Cerebus

steal storytime

cool I'm down, go for it
also just ordered some Chester Brown
does he get respect in that community? what about like webcomic writers like Beaton?

Al Columbia

was this originally printed in a newspaper or a collection like this? it's pretty interesting

i think they were newspaper strips and then collected

is there a book super similar to this? I really recognize the style being stortimed here before

I'm tempted to purchase the White Boy in Skull Valley that just came out

is this pencil work called stitching?
seems really tedious

>Frank
>art style similar to Cerebus

Not even close. It's surrealist in the most extreme way imaginable.

i think its called hatching

would you recommend checking it out? I've only read a few issues here and there of Cerebus because I have an issue committing to anything for a long time

oh ok, interesting. he has to do those repeated panels by hand with exact detail right? it just doesn't seem drawn by a computer
I was super surprised to find out Ware only uses pens

I feel this guy really hard

is this dude just a boring Crumb? I'm not really feeling him
why are all these things that are supposedly mature just really melancholy and dull

sorry to seem so critical but its just sad to me
it's like a diary comic but with even less sycophantic emotion

The very same reasons why I am digging this. It's a nice relief from, and alternative to endless capeshits and pilgrimesque dross.

But its nothing like Crumb, other than being black and white.

just day in and day out vignettes
I'm just wondering/searching for some more alternative artists but this stuff is just reinforcing my perspective of the indie scene
like at least Jason's stuff, Age of License, Neat Comics and a lot of Crumb's stuff feels like its trying to go somewhere
even what I've read of Gould seems with more purpose
this just seems like a pretentious Dilbert to me

where is everyone hiding the fun and interesting comics? I'm not looking for capeshit, but even Scud or DeForge's work if that makes sense

Both get respect in that community.

Dope rider?

Chester Brown is my all time favorite cartoonist.

Everything Los Bros Hernandez touch is gold. Start with Jaime's Locas stories.

Matthew Thurber is a genius, funny and absurd. Check out Infomaniacs.

If can find them Ganges by Kevin Huizenga is one if my favorite floppies of all time. A fifth issue came out last year and a sixth is on its way.

If you wanna go for something with a really low print run John Pham's Epoxy from issue 4 on is one of the most visceral comics experiences around. It's fair to say he started the risograph trend in small press stuff.

Some more far out shit to check out: Yuichi Yokoyama, Shintaro Kago, Suehiro Maruo, A. Degen, Conor Stechschulte (or however you spell it), Lando, Blaise Larmee, GW Duncsanson.

Dunno if it was storytimed but Kirchner's Murder by Remote Control was just reprinted last year.

The Bus would have been serialized in Heavy Metal btw.

The next issue of Ganges is supposed the last one so maybe the whole thing will be collected soon.

Bump

mazzucchelli's asterios polyp
seth's comics
dillon's the nao of brown
horrock's hicksville
almost anything by clowes
zezelj's comics
hornscheimers's GNs
dash shaw's stuff
nilsen's big questions
maus
persepolis

I want that mug.

Yeah, it's all hand drawn.

Well this is just one comic, "mature" stuff can be fun too. I've been really enjoying Hanselmann's MMO comics, they might seem like dumb stoner humor but it's more of a funny and grotesque depiction of depressed people. Also, DeForge comics are funny too.

I think the first two or three got reprints recently.

>guro manga

Oh boy, now we're talking!

thank you! lots to check out now

>Give Me Liberty
thanks user