Was the Clone Saga really as bad as people say?

Was the Clone Saga really as bad as people say?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8l3Bo1MK9_Q
lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/introduction-and-update.html
lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. It was worse.

read it all and find out

Yes, though I think a lot of people gave up before Maximum Clonage came around and never had to read it.

Maximum Clonage is so much fucking worse than the standard bad of many Clone Saga stories.

It's very convoluted and the side comics have to be read to make any hope of sense out of it.

It was WORSE.

I knew two different guys at the time that stopped reading comics altogether because of it. I personally completely stopped reading all Marvel and shortly thereafter stopped following superhero comics.

It left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths that people just said "fuck it" and were walking away from comics just because of the association with that one story. To this day no other story in comics has ever done as much damage as The Clone Saga.

It nearly killed Spider-man to the point it lead to a soft reboot of the brand.
No other event has damaged him that badly.

IT LASTED TWO FUCKING YEARS ACROSS FIVE ONGOINGS PLUS ANNUALS AND MINISERIES AND ONE-SHOTS AND CAMEOS! AROUND 100 FUCKING ISSUES!

Fuck you I like Ben.

It really was.
'Clone Saga' doesn't refer to Ben's short stint as Spider-Man, though. It's all the horrid story that leads up to it, as well as his finale. After the clone bollocks temporarily stopped and before it started back up again the comic was fine. Certainly better than it had been in at least 4 years.

Storytime when?

No. I loved it as a kid. It's just that then-manchildren hated it, and because they were the first to have the internet, they shilled their opinion, and therefore it became the only acceptable opinion.

But I loved it. It was a soap opera drama, but I loved it, because it kept me hooked

We haven't got that sort of time or bandwidth.

Many brave anons tried, but they all fell attempting this impossible quest

*coughonemoredaycough*

What if we set up a storytime general to coordinate our efforts? Three Anons working together with other storytimers taking up their regular storytimes?
We could make 2017/2018 the year of the Clone Saga Storytime of Pain!

Don't

Tied with "Sins Past" and "One More Day" as the worst Spider-Man story ever done. It's completely nonsensical. It turned ASM into the comic equivalent of a Spanish soap opera written by a schizophrenic.

I don't think you could actually do it. It's probably almost a hundred issues, all different titles, all in random as shit order.

Can confirm, my dad dropped his pulls on all comics because of Clone Saga, and I dropped all of Marvel for years after. He's only now getting back into reading stuff from the 2000s, but he'll never buy another comic.

It has strong points middled by really bad filler. Also the whole LOLOLOL WORST EVER is old-timey-meme that took hold more than anything. You have 'tards who never even read Spider-Man declaring they decide they hate the character because they read "Blog Post Saying It Sucks #291" saying why it sucks.

No doubt the editorial fucked it up by dragging it because it was selling pretty damn well.

At the time, and at the age I was (13), no. I loved it. Shit was getting stirred up and it felt like real and scary shit was happening to Peter's life.
The years prior to that had mostly been episodic and low stakes. Carnage's first arc was kick ass, but after that I remember feeling that things just plodded along.
The effect was a bit diminished because I was also read Web Of, Spectacular and "Adjective-less" so the crazy drawn out nature of the story in Amazing is only evident to me in hindsight

the story was great, it was too long and too expensive to keep up with.

this. you were buying around 8-12 Spider-Man books a month once this thing hit it's stride, many of which had some gimmick cover attached to boost the price $2-3 dollars.

and it was seven ongoings eventually New Warriors and Green Goblin were brought along

This was Age of Apocalypse on steroids

It was okay, it was just too long, too expensive to follow, and had too much filler.

>To this day no other story in comics has ever done as much damage as The Clone Saga.

Ahem?

Yes and no. There are some genuinely great parts of it (some issues are the absolute best of Spider-Man history, like ASM #400). But there are also parts that are complete and utter shit (anything involving Judas Traveller or the Scriers).

Oh shut up. Stop being hyperbolic. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as people act like it is.

This and pic related.

when i read through every spiderman ever, i actually really enjoyed clone saga because it was totally different

and then that ending.. fuck, and then it goes back to the same old for another 5 years(which is good) before {and by same old i mean spidey doesnt miss a beat in forgetting what happened and doing what spidey does best}

Superior was glorious, the hell is your malfunction?

Clone Saga Storytime

It was a single shit story to justify a bad retcon. It hurt Peter's character more, but it didn't sour readers as much as years of garbage stories with a few outliers did. That, and there were far fewer readers at the time.

I was a kid at the time and by 95 all of the older kids were telling younger ones that Untold Tales was the "real" Spider-Man book and that ASM should be ignored. It hurt the brand hard.

>superior spider-man
>damaging the spider-man brand
If anything that was one of the few arcs that made people interested enough to see what the fuck Slott was doing and it was actually decent.

Muh Peter, Muh marriage.

desu inverted Satan, of course people who actually care about the character would be pissed at Superior for being a big shit on the character in question.

And the marriage too, I guess. Whatever. RYV landed us with a story of Peter buttfucking MJ's pussy, so I'm happy as hell. But then there's the one about Peter and Mayday, too...

more clones

>But then there's the one about Peter and Mayday, too...

What are you talking about if you don't mind me asking?

On pastebin, Boy it sure is a good thing i'm not asian. There's two chapters, one 1 and the other 4

I'd post the link but I don't wanna get worn, or warned.

Incorrect. One More day was the writers wanting that. It was not a spin effect trying to get crashing sales back up.

>anons don't understand the difference between writer creator stories and re launching all books at #1 due to brand trouble.

They went back and retro number them but they ended the Spider-man series to reboot it 6 months later. That has never happen before nor after the Clone Saga mess.

100 issues is hilarious for an event but not that intimidating to storytime honestly, haven't people on here storytimed the entirety of Preacher on multiple occasions?

nick? is that you?

if not, that same thing happened to me too. Just recently started getting back into comics.

It's the fact that it's all mixed up between more than six titles (including minis and specials and the like), not told in order, and does not flow logically at all. The user storytiming it right now is posting the collected trades and that shit spent ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE PAGES on later material that clarified things along with various snippets from about ten other comics before reaching the first proper issue of the saga. It's really fucking bad.

I think it was just 4 months through the summer with the new #1 in September but yeah it's fuck up how bad they hurt the Spider brand with Clone Saga. Some wonder if the 2000 film didn't happen how much more the brand would have hurt for the after pains of that.

Worse

> part 3

This.

>Some wonder if the 2000 film didn't happen how much more the brand would have hurt for the after pains of that.

Damn that bad?

Oh, no. It's happening. Somebody stop this!

Tomorrow Part 4.

You don't know what you're doing! Stop before it's too late!

AAAAAAAAAa

>You don't know what you're doing! Stop before it's too late!
>
>AAAAAAAAAa
It may let to good things Spider-Girl storytime

It had potential, it could've been great. But it went on WAY too long.

youtu.be/8l3Bo1MK9_Q .

>It's good because my nostalgia says it is

I found this editorial behind-the-scenes to be more interesting than the comics themselves. It's worth at least a skim to get a sense of how fucked up it all got. (No one here has mentioned that Marvel actually published its own 'How To End The Clone Saga" parody book before they'd figured out how to actually end it) :

lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/introduction-and-update.html

It starts here:
lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html

>Just recently started getting back into comics

Must be terrifying seeing how far they've fallen.

>then-manchildren hated it

all the guys I knew who were "normies" stopped reading spider-man after that

all the nerds stuck with it

Thank you

I would really appreciate this

Good. I really miss May.