Tell me when the golden age of The Simpsons ended for you?

Tell me when the golden age of The Simpsons ended for you?

For me it was after the movie. Sure the quality dipped before but it was still good imo, would have been perfect if the movie ended the series like intended.

Seasons 2-8 are the only good ones

I can't really say when I started to actively dislike the show, I remember enjoying episodes up till about season 10 but Id say the first 7 where the best

Why does nobody like season 1? It has some of my favorite episodes ever and it had a real tangible sense of melancholy about it that I miss

I'd subscribe to that, 9 too, 10 was solid thouhhbut there were a few weaker ones.
I never really rated the movie, was still pretty hype seeing it on the big screen though.

season 7

the radioactive man movie episode is unironically the best episode

Season 10 is when things got truly dicey, and by season 11 you were getting more shit than gold.

3-6 are the only GREAT ones. 2 being kinda debatable, in fairness.

>GOAT TIER

2-8

>God tier

1, 9-10

>Great tier

11-12

>If you want tier

13-15

>Why tier

16 - onwards

After Season 4.

>S9-10
>God tier

You're far too generous.

Season 13. Behind the Laughter should have been the end of the series.

I don't know. To be honest, I haven't watched simpsons since I was a kid. I started watching it again in December and so far i'm on Season 11. It's still pretty good.

Sort of agree with this. 1-4 is what I'd call "classic Simpsons" due to original writers, Simon, Groening, etc. A good episode from season 6 or whatever is still a good episode since it's not like it went from to great to shit in a single episode, but doesn't feel "classic" to me for a lot of reasons.

I'd maybe extend that to 5 just on the strength of that one having Rosebud/Treehouse of Horror IV/maybe a few others I've seen less recently (Boy Who Knew Too Much, if that's even the right name), but it feels really different from the previous seasons.

The first time I personally thought "wow, Simpsons is fucking shit now, how is this still on TV " was probably like season 17. Not that I didn't think there were bad episodes before then, and I definitely didn't see 16 as "golden" or anything, but that was the first time it felt unbelievably bad and not just not-good but also inoffensive.

I still haven't seen the movie.

When I grew up. and the simpsons became infantile

It gets said a lot about a good number of shows but Simpsons really does feel like a completely different series in terms of tone and humor

First 9 seasons. 9 is where the drop becomes noticeable but there's still some gems in there. Then it gets worse and worse from 10-12, and 13 is complete shit. Stopped watching after that.

The decline is weird though. The good episodes start to thin out but there's no single moment that I said IM NO LONGER WATCHING THIS it's more you just kind of stop caring to tune it

1 is good in its own way.
2 is better
3 to 8 are excellent
9 is pretty good
10 is hit or miss
11 has some decent episodes, but also some of the first that are shit.
12 and beyond are shit.

For me it was the Tomacco episode. It had a few good gags, but it just kept dragging on with its shitty plot, and then fizzled out with a conclusion that wasn't funny or satisfying. I stopped watching new episodes regularly after that aired.

For me, it was the episode where Marge went into making pretzels after the rest of her whatever-club (pretty much all the other female characters around her age) abruptly hated her because she was cautious about investing their money into a venture. They compete with each other, Marge is pretty much on her own and backed into a corner and despondent because of how badly her business tanks to the point where she tells her own children not to ever try to succeed in life...

...And then Homer calls in the mafia--without her knowledge-- to destroy her competition. They want her profits, Marge refuses, and the episode ends with no conclusion to any of the above, just a(n admittedly fun to watch) fight as the other women called in the Yakuza to fight the mafia. The whole family just walks inside wondering WTF.

This,-- along with the Grimes episode and a third where Marge (again) tries to help that ex-con adjust to being an artist outside of jail and Skinner just arbitrarily acts like a shit to cause him to retaliate and wind up back in prison-- took the shine and sparkles off the series for me.

Shit was happening for no reason. It felt like the plot synopsises were ad-libbed during pre-production and they ran with it.

Season 9

Seasons 1-11 are considered classic to me but my favorites by far are seasons 2-4, maximum comfy era. 5-8 are fucking hilarious tho, and 9-11 are still decent

I don't know why people dislike season 1 as well. Maybe because the wackiness hadn't kicked in yet and Homer actually acted like a loving father.

If this were still 2001, everybody would still be saying Saddlesore fucking Galactica, but now barely anybody's that butthurt about that episode, not that it still sucks.

I liked the more grounded sitcom style it had though. They felt more like a real(Albeit) dysfunctional family sitcom

It ended with Behind the Laughter. I do think Trilogy of Error was a good episode though.

Season 9 and 10 felt like being the tall kid trick or treating. You're like, this is fun, hanging with my friends, but yea.... I don't like most of this candy, but its cool to see how the houses are decorated and its fun to dress up.

Then they killed maude and you're like "oh man, that scary gorilla is totally just kevins dad in a costume, wtf this sucks now"

So, 9-10 shaky ground, 11 was when it ended for sure.

After Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

>Then they killed maude

People like to point to Grimes but this was the real moment that the series crossed the line.

Yeah I get there was issues back stage but that's when you knew the series was done because unlike Grimes this was a direct result of Homer. They even make a joke about him parking in the emergency lane thus preventing timely resuscitation in the same episode

NEVER FORGET

1-8: Golden age (Yes I like season 1)
9-10: Noticeably worse, but still funny
11: Much worse, still some good stuff though
12+: Irredeemable trash

Matt Groening personally hated this style of animation and didn't want the Simpsons to be so cartoony. Listen to the commentary tracks for once instead of posting the same three .gifs.

Season 13 is underrated. I'm not saying it's a great season, hell it's not even good at points, but it's an uptick from 11 and 12. I would say it's as good as 9 or at worst 10.

Season 8 and the first episode of season 9

He also disliked the Indiana Jones scene when Bart runs out from the house.
Did he unironically enjoy the animation style of Hanna Barbera or was it just an excuse to save money?

About midway through season 10. Kept watching all the way through season 15, dropped it when season 16 started because based Humberto Velez left when season 15 ended.

Early on he wanted the Simpsons to be regarded as live television rather than an animated show. The animation was only to allow them more flexibility when it came to arranging plots and casting, using one VA to voice half the cast ala Futurama. So when the animation is more grounded and 'real' he thinks that allows the audience to connect more with the characters. Just like how Season one and half of 2 is more drama filled.

>So when the animation is more grounded and 'real' he thinks that allows the audience to connect more with the characters
I understand what he is coming from but i respectfully disagree. The realism has nothing to do with it, it's the writing that brings life to a character. His argument is just as flawed as the japanese mindset as seen in most anime and vidya that "unless the characters are human, the audience won't be able to connect with the it" (see Sora from Kingdom Hearts and Rei from Neon Genesis, as examples).
Bojack Horseman has shit animation and most of the characters are not even human but the writing is enough to make you feel for the characters in more than just one way. Now of course the animation itself can be used in a variety of ways but mostly you an do things that you can't do with live action but if a character is only as smart as the writer then so too does it's emotional connection through.

He hates fluid animation, he wants everything rigid because it reminds him of the sitcoms from the 50s he used to watch.

For me it was originally around season 10.

But lately it's been so shitty that I think it's actually reducing my tolerance for the show and shrinking the "golden age" range for me.

My single moment was just the end of season 13. I was just like

>wow, do I even remember anything from this season? Did I have fun watching this season? Why even bother watching season 14?

And then I didn't.

Whenever my favorite youtube e-celeb told me to stop watching.

Maybe it's only because I'm a bit young, I can honestly enjoy anything up until season 14. I'm not going to say that seasons 10+ were anything spectacular but I can still personally enjoy them just as much though.

Don't know what season it was (I saw a re-run) but the one where Marge picks up the Darwin book and suddenly changes her entire life views was when I stopped watching any of the new episodes.

Watched 1 through 8.
The episodes in season 8 really felt like they wanted to end it there, so I stopped watching.

>The realism has nothing to do with it, it's the writing that brings life to a character.

Well yes and no, the idea is the write the characters realistically and a lot of writers after used the animation as an excuse to push the characters into more fantastical directions than anyone originally intended.

Homer sustained a lot of crazy injuries early on (Bart the Daredevil) but it would be nothing compared to what came later, like using motorcycles as swords as an example

When Homer crashed into that celebrity house after doing that thing where you wear a parachute and get dragged by a boat.

>Muh celebs

>When You Dish Upon a Star

>celebs
I didn't knew who they were back then, still don't.

>he hasn't watched beetlejuice

Seasons 1-8 are the golden age. But I would watch any episode from season 19 or before. Some of them have interesting interesting plots or gimmicks, like the one where Ned Flanders moves to a town which manufactures little ceramic toys.

IIRC, the chick was Vicky Vale in the first Batman movie.

how do you not know who Alec Baldwin is

he was in Beetlejuice and The Hunt For Red October more recently he did that shitty Trump parody SNL skit

I know Alec Baldwin. Not the other two, that chick and the ginger dude.

It was fun until season 18,it should have stopped after the movie

Used to be married to Alec Baldwin. There is a joke in Europe that American celebrities are only capable of marrying other celebrities because they refuse to hang around normalfags or their old friends for that matter.

I have a friend who insists that current Simpsons is still great compared to all other current tv and that is only shit when compared to classic Simpsons.

How wrong is he?

You don't know Ron Howard? He made that weird time travel movie with the talking pie.

Instead think, how is he right? When you realise you can't answer that one is how you'll know he is wrong.

I'd say season 9 was the last season that I felt was consistently enjoyable in both comedy and plots. Even its less popular episodes have their moments.

Seasons 10-13, the comedy, while still funny, lacked the wit and cleverness of the golden era. And a few too many episodes had wacky cartoonish plots. Homer is also an asshole for no reason in plenty of episodes.

14-16, the stories became somewhat grounded again (for the most part), but unfortunately the laughs were too far and few between outside of a couple episodes. Its okay, but nothing to write home about.

17+, It feels like they just stopped caring altogether.

No, sir. I don't.
>He made that weird time travel movie with the talking pie.
You're fucking with me, right?

Completely

I tried watching some season 26 and 27. It is fucking boring now. No wonder there are some who think Family Guy is better.

Granted, there are still many who think saying that is a sin. But still, currently, the Simpsons are stuck with poorly told stories, bland humor and characters that got flanderized to hell and back

for me it was season 17. It had the first episode I really hated and the worst character ever which is pic fucking related. sure, things started going wrong before that but at least the jokes were still funny.
The movie was pretty good though, especially considering the show was at its absolute worst during that time.

I think season 7, because season 8 started to get self-aware and meta. The original writers thought the show was ending, and so, though it continued, it died in spirit.

However even season 4 is a noticeable change (much wackier) from the first 3, and some people didn't like that. There are many ages to Simpsons, it all depends on your level of criticalness.

/thread

I'd say 9, but I'll give a few passes to some 10 and 11 episodes. 9 was kinda falling apart, though, as it started to get weeeeiiird. Jockey Elves killed it, Prisoner Island was where I felt it could never come back.

the movie was shit and i hated the memes, but it was a fair end.

there was also a lot of hype for a simpsons game back then, it was crazy, doubt it will get that kind of hype again.