Admit it, this scene was better than anything in 'Force Awakens'

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bXaDtAtpLPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not a high bar

Phantom Menace was a good movie even with JarJar in it.

Force Awakens is boring and it just doesn't feel like a part of Star Wars.

Ewan McGregor, Ian "Based" McDiarmid, and Darth Maul were much better than anything in The Generic Action Movie in Star Wars Clothing.

That lightsaber duel was unquestionably the best of the prequels. Also, '1' had the best CGI of the prequels.

Maul-Rey Sue

>Also, '1' had the best CGI of the prequels.
because a lot of that 'CGI', wasn't

yes
when dual of the fates starts it becomes fucken magic

absolutely agree on TFA. Doesn't feel like star wars. Feels like a typical superhero move with a star wars theme.

A lot of what people, and the retards on Sup Forums, call CGI in the prequels isn't actually CGI.

I won’t blindly defend the prequels. I loved them, but understand they weren’t perfect films. But at least they had memorable and incredible scenes. TFA is fine as a whole, but my God is it forgettable.

George still new how to create meaningful tension then. Or I was a kid when I first watched it. Either way, yes, I have no problem admitting it.

The water is salt.

>Force Awakens
You can literally pick any scene and it would be better then anything in FA.

TFA is just boring, i dont care about any of the new characters, i dont care about han solo since harrison ford is phoning it in and we all knew he was going to die from the get go, i dont care about the tie fighters and xwings (especially when Poe does crazier maneuvers than anakin of all people), i really just cant find a reason to even want to like this movie

It's a poorly choreographed sword fight with no emotional impact because Darth Maul is a Bad Dude McCoolGuy who has literally no dialogue and Quigon Jinn is boring as shit. The only person with any semblance of depth is Obi-Wan, and it's only because he shows emotion and because he's someone we know from the original trilogy.

it only really fails in comparison to the drama of the fights in the originals, which don't present you with fighters at the top of their game

it's akin to comparing the fairly inconsequential, dance-like fights in the Matrix Reloaded to the more direct and important fights you get in the latter half of the Matrix. Of course the earlier ones are superior, they don't have as much work cut out for them to remain interesting

This the only non-meme ranking:
>ESB > ANH > RotJ > TFA > RotS > RO > PM > AotC
ANH > ESB and PM > RO or RO > RotS are acceptable alternatives.

TFA and RO are at the bottom of the list

Rogue One arguably belongs at the bottom of the list but anyone who says that The Force Awakens is worse than any of the prequels is a contrarian or a moron. It's still a better movie than the prequels despite being a ripoff of A New Hope.

lol, and one of the Garfield spidermans is better than any of the Raimi ones, right? What a load of shit taste.

>anyone who says that The Force Awakens is worse than any of the prequels is a contrarian or a moron.
it's bedtime little Timmy. Or at least stick to your GoT/nuBlade Runner/Breaking Bad threads.

>best lightsaber fight scene in SW is sliced up and intertwined with shitty Padme and Anakin scenes

I swear it's gotta be the same fucking autist anytime a prequels thread shows up that says the force awakens just doesn't feel like star wars to them.

I'd rather watch Tom Green singing about sausage for four hours than episode VII. What's your point?

It doesnt feel like star wars. It feels like marvel with a star wars veneer

Say what you will about the prequels, at least they had interesting fight and battle scenes.

Episode VII didn't have anything good. Story was shit, fight and battle scenes were shit, characters were shit, acting was shit. There isn't any reason to like episode VII unless you are five and never seen a movie before.

Most of the fights aren't that good in the prequels. I like the Darth Maul duel, but that's basically it.

I like the part where they're dancing like retards instead of trying to tear each other to shreds. That's what sword fighting is all about.

Well the clone wars started a trend I really hate, I don't know what to call it, so I'll call it a 'Yoda Moment'.

Basically, when a character does something super badass or unexpected that comes out of nowhere. Like when Yoda starts doing flips and shit in his fight with Count Dooku. Maybe this was done before, idk, but ever since it seems like they do it in every movie.

Examples
>The Hobbit - Bombur killing a shitload of orcs while bouncing in the barrel, then uses the barrel as armor to kill more.
>The Avengers - Hulk grabbing Loki by the leg and smashing him repeatedly on the ground, then says 'puny god'.
>Dr. Strange - When the magic cape beats the shit out of the guy on his own.

There are countless others. Usually these scenes are ridiculous and cartoonish and have little to no effect on the plot. I hate that shit.

how very reddit of you

Yeah, the Yoda and Palpatine fight really takes away from the Anakin and Obi-Wan fight for me.

LITERALLY the Prequel duels are all formatted for super cool sequences no real meaningful shit,
A robot with four lightsabers that spin, a devil looking guy with a staff lightsaber. Theyre more toy commercials than actual important stuff. The only prequel duel that makes sense is Obi Wan v Anakin but its ruined by them swinging across lava and shit.

Meanwhile the Empire Strikes back is slow, serious and important for the progression of Luke, facing a man that every sign/signal has said to not fight. Even with Rey her scene with Kylo is more interesting as its about her power and how easily she can best a guy that just hurt her mentor and friend.

No one is arguing about Empire vs. the prequels. The Rey v. Kylo fight might have been interesting if they hadn't shoehorned Flynn into it and Kylo had been at all threatening as a villain. Instead we got a 'sith lord' who can't fight worth shit despite having killed all his fellow apprentices somehow. Having been wounded by Chewie and Flynn, gets beaten by Rey who magically learns sword fighting 'cuz she's gud at force bruh'. It was completely stupid and badly written.

Reminder
IV>III>I>V>II>VI>VII

>poorly choreographed
stopped reading there

>scene with stakes is better than a movie made to play it safe for the most money possible

Whoooaaaa, who would have guessed THAT?

Well Quigon is pretty much the ideal Jedi. No emotion, just doing what is right. I agree Obi-wan's character is a little deeper and thus more interesting, but I don't think it makes Quigon any less cool if you understand what he is. Maul isn't the best villain but he is at least a badass. He is able to stand up to two jedi and even defeat a seasoned master in single combat. That's much more interesting than Kylo who gets overpowered by a novice.

>take model
>cover it in cgi to make the totally cgi elements not stand out
>dude it's practical!

It ends with two dying. It really was more shocking than everyone walking away fine. Im not saying "kill a character to add weight to it" cause, they did kill a character, it just didnt add any weight to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=bXaDtAtpLPs

This but unironically.

it got the biggest budget and was meant to break in the series like TFA did.
but it kind of had the opposite effect. Not sure why it got a lot of hate, I thought it was a fun movie and you could see influence from other directors woven in with nods to the OT (like when anakin powers up the pod racer for the first time).
3 was obviously the all around gem of the original saga but 2 (again irrationally hated) was kind of the visual/stylistic apex of the series (I can easily ignore the 2 or 3 shots that look bad).
Comparing 1 to 2 and 3 though, it's kind of the odd one out, but it still looks pretty good. Also it was the only prequel to be shot on film.

Prequels gave us great toyline and great video games

TFA gave us nothing, literally, there is no TFA video game
wtf?
and tfa toys are shit

Agreed, the prequels get so much hate because of nostalgic fans comparing it to the original trilogy. Which I can understand but it became such a circlejerk of hate they can't admit anything was good about them. Even people who never cared about the original trilogy starting hating the prequels because that was the accepted opinion. Jar Jar, both anakins, and some of the dialogue was shit, everything else was fine. Episode VII was just a steaming pile of shit no matter how you frame it. I just can't understand why people who claim to hate the prequels try to defend episode VII. The only thing I can think of is the cynical SW fans grew up and now don't care enough to dislike it.

>no episode VII game
This should tell you all you need. There is no interest in an episode VII game, because no matter how much people try to like it, it just sucks, plain and simple.

obviously

Truth be told the Phantom Edit and countless Fan Edits after it proved that he movie could be salvaged

Actual Star Wars fans disagree

TFA is the worse film in the franchise

SW has a very specifically pacing and style of narration
Prequels lost most of its charm but still has it

TFA has nothing

Yes, because it's the only scene with any emotional impact in any of the prequels or TFA. But the shiniest turd is still a turd.

New Hope = Empire > Revenge > Return > Phantom > Rogue > Attack > TFA

Can we all agree?

DUN DUN

DUN DUN DUN

DOO DOO DOODOOOLOO DOO DOO DOODOOLOO

nice bait

Even without any visuals it would have been, it has one of the most beautiful pieces of music composed for it, it brings immense value, compared to negative value FA brings by shitting on your childhood heroes (it's realistic that the main cast is in complete shit, I mean have you seen far, far away's divorce rates?)

DUN DUN, DUN DUN, DUN DUN, DOO DOO

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DOO DOO DUN DUN DUN DUN NA DOO LA DOO DOO DOO DUN

It's been established that the only people who like the prequels are drooling retards that just like light saber battles. The scene was exciting. The rest of it was boring crap.

I think the first short duel between Qui Gon and Maul on Tatooine was pretty intense desu

If force awakens is boring then so is a new hope. It's the same fucking movie.

I take original crap over remade knock offs of the original trilogy any day of the week

Your existence annoys me

>But at least they had memorable and incredible scenes

That's your opinion clearly based on nostalgia. This is what all faggot fans of the prequels do. I-IT'S NOT PERFECT BUT SOME THINGS ARE TEH GOOD.

this if I'm being honest
TFA and R1 is like any other capeshit or star trek flick where a bunch of stuff is happening to cover up the lack of story. The disney movies doesn't feel like star wars movies.

>I take original crap over remade knock offs of the original trilogy any day of the week

Then you'd be a drooling retard who just likes light saber battles. Please enjoy. It doesn't change what you are.

>imagine 10.000 years without any real dark side threat
>being stranded on this shitty desert sand planet
>haven't had to really put up a fight since youngling training
>it's hot, the fucking kid is getting annoying already but you're excited because of your mediclorian finding
>and suddenly the Sith are back
>escape because you're a coward
>motherfucker nearly killed you
>for fucks sake that could have gone down the shitter
>play it off cool

This is the point. The music is what makes it. It sucks otherwise.

>Sup Forums is so contrarian it will defend prequels after hating them became the popular thing to do
Always cracks me up

Enjoy your Diversity Wars who takes an even bigger crap on the originals than the prequels ever will

This isn't about whether or not the prequels were good movies. It's about whether they were better than episode VII which they obviously were.

Be a drooling retard. Who cares? But that's what you are. It's a great fight scene. That doesn't make it a good movie. We didn't even really know who darth maul was before the fuckin scene. What weight did it carry? Don't be intentionally intellectually dishonest.

>This isn't about whether or not the prequels were good movies

Then who gives a shit? The new movies are being made by different people. Comparing them is ridiculous. It's a different feel altogether.

V > IV > VII > VI > III > RO > I > II

>be Disney
>buy Star Wars
>have all the creative freedom in the world
>can hire the best of the best to create the greatest new line of movies ever
>no more le evil george to ruin the franchise
>end up creating movies just as bad as the prequels
>cancel TV show and replace it another TV show thats so bad that its now in the final season
>destroy EU and replace it with even bigger shit no one cares about and fans still rather discuss EU lore
>merchandise is rotting in the stores which didnt even happen with the prequels
>video games are non existent because they killed of Lucasarts and made a deal with video game devil EA

>>end up creating movies just as bad as the prequels
You guys are such dishonest fucksticks it's ridiculous

So you don't have an opinion? Then you didn't contribute to the conversation.

beside jar jar and anakin scenes I is better than the rest of the prequels

>We didn't even really know who darth maul was before the fuckin scene

What the fuck are you talking about? Darth Sidious introduced him as his apprentice who was asked to track down the Jedi and Amidala

Well I do have an opinion. You're just too stupid to grasp it apparently. All you want is to defend the prequels by comparing them to a wildly different movie under the same franchise.

>You guys are such dishonest fucksticks it's ridiculous

The fact that you cant bring in a single argument shows me that you are a faggot in denial. Its ok just a wait another decade for a plinkett 2.0 to come along so it can be ok to hate it

So when someone is introduced all of the sudden you're aware of their deeper motivations? WE DIDNT KNOW HIM. Get what that means. Why the fuck should we care about a guy who's only motivation is IM A FUCKIN BAD GUY? You're a mental midget if that's enough for you.

>3 seconds showing his face constitutes as sufficient character introduction
This is why people mock prequel apologists

To me Rogue One is as unwatchable as Clones. PM is, despite its flaws, watchable as heck.

>You're a mental midget if that's enough for you

Sorry Mr. Intellectual but i dont take my family scifi adventure movies as serious as you

There's no argument to be had with someone who's so deep into Sup Forums shitposting he actually thinks the movies are even comparable in terms of quality
TFA suffers from playing it too safe, essentially copying the older movies
But apart from that it's a well-crafted movie
The prequels are shit in almost every single regard you could ^possibly come up with

Your opinion is that having an opinion is stupid. So you are dismissing the argument altogether instead of thinking critically. Comparing two films from the same franchise is not unreasonable. Thinking one is better than the other is not the same as saying either is 'good'.

The prequel trilogy is allowed to be different and still good.

But they were not good.

There is no emotional attahment to anyone in the first film. We do not have a hero. Or a villain. The plot is convoluted and not interesting.

I csn forgive Jar Jar, but his inclusions into some scenes are stupid. Like the tongue scene with Qui-Gonn. What reaction does Lucas want from the audience?

The film is jammed wih that kind of stuff.

Cant be as perfectly written as TFA thats for sure!

>Darth Maul had the high ground
>he died
yeah no

Denial: The Post

Have you heard of the tragedy of Darth Maul on the High Ground?

>look at me Sup Forums I too do not think like the unwashed masses am I cool yet do I fit in
Congratulations on being a worse board than Sup Forums, Sup Forums
You earned it

>Using the term well-crafted to describe episode VII

You obviously don't know anything about Star Wars or movies in general.

The masses agree that TFA is weak otherwise the merchandise wouldnt be rotting in the stores

Definitely. The phantom menace wasn't a great movie but it was still star wars meanwhile tfa is cheap utter recycled trash and is barely even a movie. Fuck jew jew abrams!

not him but trips dont lie

The prequels, oddly, are better as a stand-alone trilogy than as Star Wars prequels. The prequels are several things in one. Among other things, the prequels are:
1) An action trilogy for very young kids, about goofy droids, JarJar, "Yippeeee", and so on, influenced by cartoon depictions of robots.
2) A political epic about the last days of a great republic, with nods to old-school Hollywood epics and ancient Rome
3) The character arc of the fall of Anakin Skywalker to evil
4) The setup for the world seen in the original trilogy
The problem is that #3 and #4 are badly bungled.
As regards #3: Anakin's character arc is unbelievable, and the trilogy goes back and forth between depicting him as either a noble young man gradually seduced by the dark powers, or a young creep who temporarily maintains a mask of sanity. These two are not necessarily contradictory as aspects of the same person, but the tonal shifts between the two representations of Anakin make a mess of the character. And there are other problems. Why doesn't he go back and get his mother? Why does Padme stay with him after he breaks down crying in front of her, admitting to killing women and children? Why does he stay on Palpatine's side even after he learns that Palpatine doesn't know how to stop death? Etc.
As regards #4: The world depicted is visually inconsistent with the OT trilogy (even accounting for the in-universe passage of time). A bigger problem is that there is too much fan-service/toy selling/Lucas0isms. Chewbacca appears for no reason. C3PO turns out to have been built by Anakin, for no reason.

Perhaps most importantly, the Anakin from RotS simply does not seem like the same person, even accounting for the in-universe passage of time, as the Darth Vader from the original trilogy. Darth Vader always seemed like an eloquent, somewhat learned man, with an aristocratic bearing and a taste for wordplay. There was something upper-class about him. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine Anakin from the prequels reading a book, speaking eloquently, or approaching life in any sort of manner other than by rushing forward with a lightsaber drawn.
But, to go back to what the prequels do well... Lucas did a good job joining his usual love of Flash Gordon and Metropolis together with throwbacks to old Hollywood epics to create some striking, if mostly derivative, visuals.

The politics are actually well-done, and Palpatine's evil enthusiasm lights up the screen. It's fun to watch the machinations, and some of the politics depicted is surprisingly sophisticated given what the rest of the movies are like.
Obi-Wan is well acted, with a weary determination. And there are some scenes that are quite good when viewed in isolation: The Darth Maul fight.. Anakin in search of his mother, followed by her death and his reaction. The opera scene with Palpatine. And a few others. Unfortunately, the good scenes are only occasional bursts of quality and the bad character development ruins much of the context they would require in order to drag up the movies as a whole.