imdb.com/title/tt1502712/board/thread/247119192
youtube.com/watch?v=haT62y-p6uU
avclub.com/article/josh-trank-back-making-al-capone-movie-tom-hardy-245069
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Failure.

Diversity.

Of course it did. It ended

Pants aside, Thing looked alright. Thats all I got

I don't love the Fantastic Four, but this movie seemed like it was actively trying to make me hate them

Concept of Reed and Ben being freinds since Childhood could work. But nuking Ben being a Test Pilot/Astronaut was a bad move.

Also trying to hard to add diversity by making Sue the adopted one and then the stupid Spec Ops bit.

Flat out Reed needs to be the older Established Scientific Genius.

Having them be interdimensional explorers and scientists instead of the generic superheroes the 2000's movies went with.

Despite looking nothing like the character, Michael B. Jordan did a pretty good job. Everyone else was terrible.

Failure; making Fox more of a laughing stock than any previous film could (yes, even the Chipmunks films); ruining any future attempt at a FF film; Killing Trank's career, the list goes on.

And, unpopular opinion time, The Thing's CGI wasn't as bad as the rest of the film.

I actually liked Reed in it.

Trank killed his own career when he tried shifting blame on his higher-ups on Twitter.

>inb4 all those tweets.

>Pants aside, Thing looked alright

>The Thing's CGI

Pretty much just THIS.

Weren't some people on Sup Forums unironically looking forward to this?

People thought it was going to be as good as The Dark Knight. I remember one guy on Sup Forums even swore that this would be the first superhero movie to get the Oscar for Best Picture

Tweets?

>And, unpopular opinion time, The Thing's CGI wasn't as bad as the rest of the film.
How is that an unpopular opinion?

IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME

The Denny's food.

It didn't get a sequel after the end heavily implied it.

Trank wasn't ready for Prime Time.

Hollywood has been without a Spielberg for almost two decades now and its showing.

it strongly (and correctly) suggested that kate mara should not be seen

nice

Remember how crazy things got?

imdb.com/title/tt1502712/board/thread/247119192

>Without a Spielberg

Hollywood really does have a problem with thrusting young directors into projects way above them, then blaming them when things turn to shit.

It was just a worse version of Ultimate Fantastic Four, user.

If they were going to chide FF fans for being racist for thinking a black Human Torch was weird, why didn't they also make Sue Storm black too? Or why didn't just cast Michael B Jordan as Reed instead? He fit the role more than Miles fucking Teller did.

The answer is 'no'. It's actually amazing: NOTHING about it was right.

Did anyone actually use the term 'blackwashing'?

I actually liked it.
But that was mostly before they actually became superheroes and I wasn't associating it with the comics (or cartoon or other movies) at all.

It felt like an interesting short movie by itself that got sloppy at the end.

This I guess

It's fantastic.

It's four

It accurately portrayed Reed as a bit of an asshole.

Ben's transformation.
Their aim to be more of a sci-fi thriller than a comic book movie really confused the production, but one thing it 100% worked for was the way The Thing was created.
He didn't just wake up to find all his body parts were made of rock, no he was SOLID rock. Something went wrong and all he could do was yell for help since he couldn't move or even open what he thought were his eyes to see what he'd become.
DAYS later we see he's just been struggling to slowly crack and break his mass into a vaguely human shape and he's still not even half way there, and he's STILL panicking, pleading for someone, anyone, to help him.
youtube.com/watch?v=haT62y-p6uU

The thing desigh is very cool

>Made of solid rock
>Can barely move
>But somehow not only retains the ability to speak, but even has the same voice

Would you say it was cooler than the comic book design, or the first or second movie designs? And if so, in what way?

It's weird yes but realistically without his ability to talk he would have never been distinguishable from the rest of the rubble and would have just been disposed of in the cleanup and presumed dead, removing him from the rest of the movie.
But yes, I do thing thematically it would have been better to have his mouth and throat just be the first thing he developed on his new body, due to his constant attempts to scream.

The soundtrack was pretty good, I guess.

Still don't know how they convinced Phillip fucking Glass to compose for this thing, though.

YFW you will never see the original cut of this film.

I refuse to watch it until its leaked.

Be to honest, it was a rare time where the film's failure were both the fault of the director and the higher ups.

At least Shyamalan is making a comeback, a small one but a comeback nonetheless.

The movie should never have been made this way. Fantastic Four is not horror. Period.

That is a wise decision.

The chemistry between the group was nice - everything went well up until they breached the dimensional barrier. Then everything went tits up.
Blame the sony execs.

There is no "original cut". Trank fell spectacularly behind schedule and didn't even have a complete movie when Fox decided to take over.

Come on, there are a ton of movies where the faults lie both on the director and the higher ups.

See: DCEU

Jamie Bell and Kate Mara are married now, so I guess at least it benefitted someone.

It succeeded in being depressing.

Wait, really? Thought he was with the chick from "West World"?

Now this is making me think Miles Teller should play The Maker in the MCU

Sony didn't make the film.

I could defo see it (not that he'd go back to the role.) how would that work, though?

Autistic Reed

>Fantastic Four is not horror. Period.

No, it sort of was at the start. The first issue seemed more like another Marvel Monster comic where the protagonists happened to be superpowered.

I mean, I'd rather it be science exploration than horror or even superhero than horror, but a horror take is still fair game.

I got the rights back to Disney.

They separated years back.

I doubt it'd happen because Fox would still technically own Fant4stic, but ideally if Marvel, Sony, and Fox work together they could acknowledge a Marvel multiverse more overtly. I mean allegedly Sony was thinking of doing a crossover between the Toby Maguire Spider-Man and the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man.

Nope. That deal was purely for Spider-Man.

In 9 years or so we'll see another copyright extender.

>it ended

>"it's just fantastic"
>"say that again"
>"fantastic?"
>"OK I got it!"

Kept the FF rights from Disney/Marvel for another few years.

Black Reed is the obvious way to go, but Fox clearly didn't want to try anything. Black guy is supposed to be the cool one, so that means he has to be Johnny.

>has to hide his name up until people get into the theatre to watch the movie

i guess.

The problem is that executives like control. They can control a young inexperienced director far more easier then an older one. Unfortunately, part of being a good director is knowing when to tell the executives to shut up. As a result the movies don't come out right and the director gets the blame.

It flopped. Hard. Thats about the only thing FF movies can do right. Which is good, because the FF is one of the most boring, shitty super teams, and they really need to just be retired.

Ah. She's his babymama, though, right?

Idk, Fox let the rights for DD and Ghostrider revert back to Marvel.

Yeah, she is.

Fox didn't have Ghost Rider.

Sony, right?

My B. Still, Fox let DD revert even when Marvel offered to extend the rights in exchange for Galactus and Silver Surfer. So Fox is clearly willing to let go of these franchises when they don't have a clue as to what to do with them.

Disney got the rights back, didn't they?

Yes. That's why GR showed up in AoS.

How is this different from any other capeshit movie?

Reed is autistic tho

Trank was slated to direct a fucking Star Wars movie until this shit happened. How do you manage to fuck up your career so bad?

>making the woman hunting rebel black
>keeping his sister white because they don't trust a black woman to bring in the same number of people

He said he chose to drop out but you can tell he got fired due to his spoiled brat personality he achieved due to the surprise success of Chronicle.

well, it did end

imagine how much worse it would be if this were a show FOX were determined to push just to stick it to Marvel

Man Michael B Jordan dodged the bullet thanks to Creed saving his career from going down the tube, as well as Kate Mara.

well shit

The movie was made just so that they can keep the rights, they didn't even care if it bombed. It was made just to spite Marvel.

>They ARE engaged.

Well shit, it's shaping up to be another Green Lantern Ryan Reynolds/Blake Lively situation.

That and cause Simon Kinberg was also producing that Star Wars spinoff, and Fant4stic.

I remember that shit

Hes gonna be the new Goyer/Orrci/Kurtzman/Lindelof if he isn't already

So it's a reverse-Gigli.

Yeah there's not a chance in hell that he made that choice on his own.

Well, that's shitty and its damaged the IP.

What happened with Trank anyway? Seems like he dropped off the face of the planet since Fant4stick came out.

Holy fuck, why is the invisible girl stuff not slimming or healthy? Is that not the joke?

>What happened with Trank anyway?

Perhaps blacklisted by Hollywood? I almost feel bad for him, almost.

It seems he is directing an Al Capone movie starring Tom Hardy, he is alright.

avclub.com/article/josh-trank-back-making-al-capone-movie-tom-hardy-245069

Short Answer: NO

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...times infinite.

It had the most natural naming of a team I've seen in a superhero movie. That whole scene just felt so right.

>Bad superhero movies bring happy couples together

The silver lining.

>In 9 years or so we'll see another copyright extender.

Problem is Fox had a really bad track record with the F4 films. And wouldn't they rather spend money on the properties they own outright (like doing another Alien or Predator film) or even a property they don't own that does reasonably well for them (Apocalypse was bad but Deadpool did really well) over a property that barely made money back at best, and a money sinkhole at worst?

This isn't like Hellraiser where the box office performance of the previous films did well enough to make it a viable property, so doing shitty direct-to-dvd films to keep its rights was a risk work taking (especially when you could make money with Hellraiser merchandise).

>they didn't even care if it bombed.

If they didn't care they wouldn't have ordered the reshoots and just let Trank's film go as is without the finished ending.

They did likely pick Trank because not only did people think he'd be the next Spielberg or whatever, he also did Chronicle low-budget and got far more than its budget back.

It's also not true. They did rush into development without a clear concept in mind, but no studio pours so much money into a high-profile project just out of "spite".

Yeah, Sony did the two Ghost Rider films.

They picked Trank because he was already an in-house director with a succesful movie under his belt, but still not big enough he would clash with them over production.

In theory, of course.

Pic related was a genuinely cool shot...