So how plausible is The Expanse?

So how plausible is The Expanse?

Will we have a glorious Martian future?

Well if we ever did colonise new planets and they became self-sufficient, then independence will almost always follow. Its the same reason America became independent from the British Empire.

We evolved in a specific gravity. We can barely tolerate our highest mountains or the pressure of our shallowest oceans. Bone loss and muscle wasting in space is a reality.

Best of luck, traveler.

People never evolved to travel the oceans either, everything is possible of you put your mind to it

I don't disagree, but becoming self-sufficient isn't going to just be the natural next step after colonisation. Once we begin to set up mining colonies and research outposts, I doubt many at all are going to become truly self-sufficient. There's just too much to have to supply.

No glorious Martian future.

>Once we begin to set up mining colonies
It will never be economical to transport minerals back to Earth. Mining will always be in service of self-sufficiency.

Growing crops would be remarkably useful - reduced costs for shipping foodstuffs from Earth, assists with atmospheric life support, and there are studies that demonstrate that growing things helps psychologically with the stresses that astronauts (and potential colonists) face.

Unless we figure out the materials to build a space elevator which if we do would probably be built on Mars first (or Titan if we start colonising their (although why would you?)) it won't be practical to export minerals from Mars, the asteroids make more sense for mining purposes

>Show is scifi/future
>Every scene has an overbearing colour tint
Why? When will they stop doing this?

Mars has no magnetosphere, a thin and poisonous atmosphere, signifcantly weaker gravity, the surface is a cold desert... don't be an idiot op.

No, your country will turn into South Africa.

You should have went with planes and the pressurization required at 35,000 feet. But that power of mind stuff died twenty years ago -- have you been outside?

Corporations are already putting money into space travel research in the hopes that asteroids in particular will be worth the investment. We can't say for sure at the moment, but it definitely has the potential to pay off, even with the astronomical costs. That said, a space elevator or orbital ring would make the process 10 times easier. Unfortunately, we'd need to mine raw materials just for that, nanofibers or not, and that would require space mining to begin with. We'd need that initial investment.

Just recently I saw a video of scientists on the ISS growing crops to measure psychological effect and plant growth cycles in zero G. Any colony would definitely need to have its own way to produce at least some food, but there'd still be scores of vitamins, supplements, medical measures against the effects of living in space, and other things which would likely need to come from Earth... at least to begin with.

Self-sufficiency is definitely possible, but it would require a great degree of planning, infrastructure, and organisation. It would turn a colony into a city, and frankly would represent one of the great milestones of future human history.

Also to answer OP, I think there are plenty of aspects which are kind of realistic and entertaining because of that realism, but the Martian government in particular being a withdrawn, militaristic power seems to kind of stand out in a goofy way compared to the rest of the setting.
>read the first book
I'm assuming they become a little more fleshed out and nuanced, but having two powers who were fighting a neo-Cold War based around established self-sufficiency and differing social organisation as a result would have been much more fascinating to explore in my opinion

Oh sure, a Martian colony would be tied to Terra for a long time (unless they went there purely with the goal of becoming self sufficient (and that's very unlikely)), but you could probably achieve the kind of self sufficiency where being cut off from Earth for a year would be uncomfortable but not fatal withing a decade or so.

>Will we have a glorious Martian future?

Unlikely. Mars does not have a magnetosphere due to its core having solidified. This means no atmosphere, which means no terraforming.

Even if we nuked Mar's core a thousand times, it would still take ~1000 years to form a stable magnetosphere.

Colonizing mars is a meme. It's a dead planet and reviving it would take a millennia or more.

>This means no atmosphere
Apart from that atmosphere it has

There's always some little aspie fuckstain here to correct the record, isn't there? You know what I mean - a breathable, human life sustaining atmosphere.

>Damn, someone called me out on my ignorance and stupidity
Fucking kek matey you're going to have an aneurysm if you get this mad regularly. Maybe you should calm down, take a few deep breaths of that atmosphere

why go back where we came from?

>what is artificial gravity

>Fuck the belt

The future in the Expanse is more realistic then other SciFi stories that happen a few hundred years in the future. I think that the moon and Mars will be colonized eventually, though the moon not to the degree that Mars will be. I know it's a lot more effort but personally I think it'd be cool to see a terraformed Venus. That close to the sun and the rotation period would be a great place to grow crops. Assuming we even need to by then.

Mars is 1/3rd earth gravity. It should be tolerable with some drugs, gene editing, and exercise.

Humans at minimum need 4 psi. Current Earth sea level air pressure is 14 psi.

If you place a huge magnet in the Mars/Sun L1 orbit. Then the magnetic field would protect Mars' atmosphere. Allowing for rapid atmosphere regeneration. As the CO2 frozen in the ground subliminates and doesn't get blown away. Martian summers at the equator are warm enough for shorts. Once you have enough atmosphere built up naturally. you can start putting out cyanobacteria and algae. which will start producing free oxygen.

belter FUCKING SHITS

>niggers in space with other mongrels
>implying Mars wouldn't be full of high IQ whites and east asians if it is to be the best and brightest from earth

not at all likely

so why doesnt the military on earth do high g training? E.G martians train under one g thats cool, but we go jogging in 4 g

because it doesn't matter, earth would still win just from the numbers alone.

Haters gonna hate but Expanse, New Star Trek and even Orville give me hope in sf on tv.
Expanse- best book/tv adaptation,bar none(also,Expanse was on list of books that cant be quality adapted ,same as : Gene Wolfe: Trylogy of new sun(Severian)& dan simmons- hyperion,endimion etc
ST Discovery- really great SF show, desigion to cut "backwards" compatibilty was an stroke of genious( so ,no forced cheap trash level space opera) ,that show needed some higher production values
Orville- great omage to old school ST, Seth actually enritches show withnhis humor and its a great show for all old school trekkies who think STD is overproduced(morons)
Im happy.
We even got phil k. Dick Electric dreams( yea,i know its different type, but ut makes a guy happy).
If someone would make high production Isac Asimovs Foundation, but keep it real...

sf is doing a hyperion adaption

There is no way it won't be complete dogshit.

Bobbi "Fat" Draper

this is true because hyperion is dogshit

average iq is 85 and humanity is devolving, as the the third world grows in size and displace higher races from their home countries.

So I think it is excessively optimist to think in the future we will still have technologies such as the wheel, let alone colonies on mars

But in the expanse the majority of the earth population is on welfare and has no job. I get what your saying, but you gotta have an extended period of stagnation, which is the time frame the series represents.

When third world countries develop, they see a surge in IQ scores. It's happened in Ethiopia over the past few decades.

Unsurprisingly, better nutrition, health, and education give higher IQ scores.

>earthers: Bernie Sanders cuck planet
>belters: antifa faggots
>martians: rugged, masculine colonial frontier, where men work for their keep and take pride in what they’ve built

It’s time to come home

>implying whites will even exist in a couple hundred years

At this rate, we’re going the way of the neanderthal

Only 7% of white people marry interracially. We're going to be fine.

And the other 93% have a negative population growth...

Even China has a birth rate below replacement level. Quality > quantity.

That’s true but genetics are also a favor and even in countries such as France with good nutrition, health, and education, average IQ is decreasing because of mass immigration from low IQ populations

China isn’t experiencing mass migration on levels anywhere near western countries

The West has been through worse. We'll be fine.

>'Oh shit an expanse thread'
>It's a Sup Forums thread
oh well

every thread is a Sup Forumss thread

OP asked about the plausibility of space colonization. Political talk is bound to follow.

Mars is actually a pretty shitty planet. Venus is a lot better candidate for terraforming, it just has no meme value.

>best and brightest from earth

That's the jews.

>Venus is a lot better candidate for terraforming

>Incredibly slow rotation - days longer than years
>Ridiculously fast winds on the surface
>Temperatures and pressures that melt metal on the surface
>Sulphuric acid rains
Sure user, sounds like the garden spot of the Solar System

It is easier to fix the Venusian atmosphere than to make anything out of Mars.

In fact, we could use Venus as-is with aerostat habitats.

>"everything is possible of you put your mind to it"
>He fell for the power of will meme

Hitler thought the same then proceeded to lose the war against the "sub-humans".

And when we've figured out how to land a spacecraft on a zeppelin I'll be ever so slightly more inclined towards a Venusian summer home, until then I'm going to continue suggesting it as the best place to dump anything we don't want

Uh... user... There is already a plan for that.

>NASA
I look forward to watching it go horrendously over budget because they have to build at least one component in every state to keep the senate happy, getting delayed repeatedly because they can't decide exactly which altitude they want the balloon to fly at (and whether or not they want to use Russian propellers on it), before it then finally getting canned by the next president in office after work starts on it purely because the last guy was in favour of it.

Hey, with this line of thinking, we will never leave Earth anyway, so why bother?

>He forgot about based Musk

how about this instead of all that

He'll die before economically sustainable space travel is realized and his companies will go the apple route.

The issue is bone density loss. Strapping some weights to your fat ass doesn't affect that.

Hope you faggots enjoy reading

>is companies will go the apple route.
Massively successful and making more money than some countries?

the books are short, i finished them all in like 3 weeks

while doing nothing to actually advance technology

We no longer need headphone cables user

>delays your audio .1-.5s

>Doesn't tangle

>oops battery is dead

I may just have bad luck, but the sound quality of wireless earbuds/phones tends to be total garbage with everything I've tried.

why wouldn't it?

Because it's a cellular replication issue, not a strength training issue.

No matter what, bone density decreases over time with exposure to reduced gravity due to the lack of resistance offered by 1g. Eventually you start bleeding internally through your bones and die.

Should have charged them user

Fuck martians, I am tired of them always wanting independence from Earth in every sci-fi setting

Fucking Earthers - "Oh we ruined our planet, how dare those Martian's not let them ruin theirs too"

I started to read the books

I was kinda annoyed when in the show they said how earth is overpopulated and other bullshit when we know that the population growth is slowing down rapidly and developed countries have HUGE problems with low birth rates.

but they nicely explained it in the books

its the universal income.
the population went down as expected, but automation took over and there were just not enough working opportunity for people. So universal livable income came to be.

and one thing that people started to do when they could not really get work is fuck and raise children and so came the population growth.

I like how the book nicely explained one of my big grippes

but I am going away now, I am not risking spoilers with you faggots

population rates are only falling for intelligent people

I couldn't stand this underacting diversity hire. NZ is a shithole by the way

t. nzer

>average iq is 85
I keep reading this on here and I never believe it. Although if you've said the average IQ on here was that I wouldn't doubt it.

>YWN work to make a barren wasteland a garden while simultaneously fucking up fattie Earthers and malnourished Belter scum with your superior Martian navy.

I think there's a few throwaway references to UBI in season 2.

Say it with me lads
JUST NOT ON IMPACT

sexy earther granny
thicc marsian commando
swag belter detective

what more do you need?

I hope Mars can reconquer Earth in the future and lead the human race into greatness free from the UN jews

Ubermensch Jesus Earther Captain
QT OPA rebel XO
Donkeyballs smarmy Martian helmsman
Motherfuckin' Amos "mechanic"
Some plant boy with a messed up daughter

The Roci's crew is based

nice reddit spacing

>Reconquer Earth
>Can't even go for a walk without more drugs than a AIDS patient at Glastonbury

Dustfags are adorable.

>people from earth literally built the first colony
>ungrateful cunts act as if they did everything themselves

>>people from earth literally built the first colony
Who else would have done it? The Mars natives?

WE WUZ LUCA AN SHEET

I think you're neglecting the human ability to adapt. An extreme example would be the eskino's ability yo not get blood clots from the cold. A simpler example would be someone who grows up in the mountains would be more used to it than someone who didnt.
We could definitely adapt to lesser gravitational planets, and those who can't will be out of the gene pool anyway

There are at least 9 books written or planned. You think Syfy will allow a show to go on that long?

Don't even bother getting invested.

Even when it was SciFi, the longest shows ever ran for was 4 seasons.

Hope you faggots enjoy reading.

>finally meet aliens
>its some fucking bioengineered hivemind weapon shit
I can't fuck that

The "Browning" of America and Europe will almost definitely trend birthrates in the opposite direction.

Wealthy people know that having more children means fewer opportunities. Poor people don't care because the state will look after them.