Digital

How can I learn to appreciate the look created by digital cameras?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_on_digital_video_prior_to_2015
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By watching Collateral.

Not sure if this is a shitposting thread but Nightcrawler is interesting in this regard because all the night scenes were shot on digital while the daylight stuff was shot on film.

Yeah, night scenes can look gorgeous on digital.
Pic is Twin Peaks.

DIGITAL IS SHIT

S H I T

That doesn't look good though. Looks like some mundane cellphone photograph. The colors look lifeless.

I think film looks better at night despite the worse lowlight performance and lower dynamic range. The lights are really saturated and glowing.

The best looking new films are shot on digital, even if it's more difficult to get nice colors with digital than with analog (actually recording something is much easier in digital, of course). There's a reason basically all cinematographers and most top directors are pro-digital while analog is a thing for teenagers on the internet who have never even seen a reel of celluloid and mostly directors with a weak visual eye (Tarantino, Baker) (there are exceptions, of course).
There's also guys like Tscherkassky who are simply in love with the physical material, but those don't really count.

is there a website that can tell me which movies were shot on digital/film?

Before 2010? Then the movie is probably analog (unless it looks like cheap digital, such as Inland Empire and The Idiots).
After 2010? Probably digital, film looks slightly less harsh.

THIEF IS GREAT

PARTICULARLY ALL THE OLD ANALOG HIGH-TECH OF THE DAY

PRIME CRIME ARTIFACT OF THE 80S

Almost everything you watch these days is on digital. The industry is moving towards digital, autofocus and zoom lenses as a standard. To appreciate it you just need to turn on a TV and see how nice everything that isn't hollywood blockbuster meme-director money looks when compared to even 5 years ago.

CORRECT
>tfw the guy who did it right ruined it with Public Enemies

Dammit Mann

This is not a comprehensive list, but it hits most of the major Hollywood movies.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_on_digital_video_prior_to_2015

You should be able to easily tell this by yourself. But you can look at IMDb under "See full technical specs" where the cameras used are written. I can't tell how accurate it is though.

>The industry is moving towards autofocus
Why are you spewing absolute bullshit? No one outside of teenage youtuber vloggers uses autofocus, even your dumb high school friend who opened up a "Brandon Johnson Photography" facebook page with 12 likes doesn't use autofocus.

Digital filters/colours pretty much ruin movies for me.

I loved Side by Side and recommend it to anyone interested in layman film stuff.

So you're a digital > film guy?

Lifeless colors? You do realize that the pic you posted has a shitty blue digital filter on it? It was added with the blu-ray release.

that's because collateral wasn't 100% digital while public enemy was.

nice try lynch

check Technical Specifications on imdb for every movie.

>It was added with the blu-ray release.
because mann is obsessed with the color blue.

Digital isn't a problem as long as the DP and the director aren't dipshits with color manipulation in post.

What are some good looking digital movies?

Personally I liked The Revenant and Blade Runner 2049.

Also anything David Fincher. And study Soderbergh's work ethic. Guy is a champ. Lensed, directed and shot two entire seasons of a tv show and found time to still watch films or read books and have a life with his family.

You dummie. That shit was color corrected digitally years later.
Even though shit is filmed on film it's always put through rigorous colonization digitally, taking whatever image and making it better.

Here's the thing: This is a debate people were having in 2007. In 2017 it's over. Five of the past six Best Cinematography Oscars were shot digitally. Those five were all shot on the Arri Alexa. 17 out of 30 nominees since 2011 have been digital. Odds are the digitally shot movies you've seen in the past 5 years outnumber the film ones 2:1.

Drive

Collateral is reddit trash and worst Mann. Watch Miami Vice (2006) Theatrical cut instead.

>one of his most famous movies is the worst
>watch one of his least famous movies instead

How typical of you.

Miami Vice theatrical cut = absolut кинography

I want a better understanding of different camera types, digital, film and that whole shebang. Any good recommendations on sites or books?

>cut =
Speaking of Reddit trash

>no u
ok sweetie

imdb

Don't you think that's at least partially because more films are shot on digital now?

And why do you think most people shoot in digital?

Convenience, flexibility, price.

How much does digital projection influence the decision to shoot digital?

Probably not much. The main considerations are cheapness and convenience.

Film is a pain in the ass and costs a lot of money.

Guaranteed you're a fucking retard that cannot tell the difference

Try me.

this, I could rewatch this any day. It's great

... not at all? lack of film projectors isn't why people stopped using film

Cheaper and easier. It's not like if you showed all those directors just a film image and a digital image, they would all pick the digital

Just know that pretty much any digital movie made these days is shot on either the Arri Alexa or some RED camera.