Alright, bros, let's settle this once and for all

Alright, bros, let's settle this once and for all.

Kataang or Zutara?

strawpoll.com/4c25wb8

Cut out the middleman, just ship Zaang.

You posted this poll on a board full of Kataangfags. It's obvious Kataang will win.

You're right about it being biased. What do you think is the more popular pairing overall?

tokka
or sukoph

I understand the Zutara appeal and I like it more in theory but it was never going to be canon.

Zuki is the best ship anyway though.

My head says kataang but my heart says zutara.

>Zuki is the best ship anyway though.
That pairing is just Bryke's lame attempt at trying to create more relationship drama now that Zutara is sunk

Kataang is cannon

I've always thought Zutara but I never cared for either ship so I don't know about the numbers. The biggest poll that I've seen was the one posted on Buzzfeed. It had over 100,000 responses.

Neither.

Tokka, obviously.
Pair Suki with Zuko,

Mike and Bryan wanted Kataang and they're the creators so they got Kataang.

Fuck Bryke. They only had Kataang happen because Aang was their self-insert. No wonder they couldn't give a shit about the Korra romance.

I don't care for either but I guess Zutara just because Katara and Aang are more like siblings to me.

It's good drama

There are still people trying to pair Sokka and Toph despite the fact that Toph is a canon slut who had kids by different guys, neither of which were Sokka and at least one of which she isn't sure if he's the dad.

Aaron Ehasz and Giancarlo Volpe wanted Zutara.
I wonder how Bryke felt about that.

Friendly reminder that Korra isn't canon.

They called Kataanged "forced" to make Korrasami look better. Yeah, I can agree with Kataang being forced but Korrasami was way more forced. They are massive hacks.

Friendly reminder that denying the truth doesn't make it not true.

Another love triange by Bryke and Sokka getting cucked are not good drama

>Aang needs to end up with Katara! It's our soft spot! She's his first love
>Korra can be with anyone. It doesn't matter. Makorra is dead so here's an Asami.

Friendly reminder that technically everything is headcanon, so the truth can be whatever I want it to be.

Seriously though, somehow I have separated the two things in my mind as completely unrelated. Same with the movie.

Fucking this.

Any rule 63 character of the show is top tier waifu.

>ten years later
>Zutara fags still salty
kek

That's because Korra is basically a badly written fan fiction. We all know the heart of ATLA's storytelling was Aaron Ehasz.

I legitimately still can't understand how anyone ever shipped Zutara. Not only do they make it incredibly obvious (way past the point of fault imo) throughout the first season that Kataang is happening, Zuko and Katara only share like 3 scenes in the entire series that could be construed as romantic. And then what few "mishaps" Aang and Katara's relationship has (EIP and beginning of season finale) are so obviously forced just to create some semblance of 11th hour tension that you can't even take them seriously.

Zutara would've made sense if they had developed it, so I understand why people shipped it, but anyone thinking it had a shot of becoming canon were deluding themselves.

Agreed. I feel like Korra is such a divergence as far as writing quality goes that it's hard to consider it part of the same cannon. Same thing with the comics, though I actually enjoy them quite a bit in a self-indulgent fanfiction kind of way.

Is this from N&S part 2? And if so do you have the source on a scan?

The Kataang romance was really mangled. Katara had that ambiguous expression in Day of the Black Sun after Aang kissed her, and the Love is a Battlefield comic had her seriously uncomfortable with Aang asking her about their relationship. There was the Cave of Two Lovers but it felt really forced because their options were to either kiss or die. The Headband was a pointless fucking episode and while the Kataango was ok - it replaced an episode that was originally focused on Aang's relationship with Kuzon.
Still better developed than MaixZuko though.

Yeah that's what I mean. I'm not opposed to the pairing based on their personalities/roles within the show (I actually think it would have been more interesting than what they did) but there was, to my eye, almost literally no basis in actual content for this ship.

What annoyed me most about the relationship between Aang and Katara was how the two never had a conversation after their arguments in EIP and the beginning of the finale. Katara just starts making out with him. It made it look like she was doing a 180.
It actually had a chance of being canon according to Ehasz. Don't care for the ship myself but that's the facts.

>3 Zutara threads in 2 days.

OP, you are patethic. Why are you trying to force your shitty headcanon into other people?

Ehasz is a philosophy major. He's into that symbolic and mythology stuff which Zutara kinda has.

>posts kataang french kissing
>zutara shipper

We had Katara literaly being jealous of Aang with other girls.

I remember Kataangers blowing up over Volpe reblogging Zutara fanart. Shippers are pathetic.

OP used the same pic on the last thread.

Katara also dressed up as Aang's mom and Sokka as his dad. Watercest is canon and Aang is their son.

I don't know where you get the idea they're a Zutara shipper. To me it feels like OP is trying to "prove" the superiority of Kataang.

>It actually had a chance of being canon according to Ehasz. Don't care for the ship myself but that's the facts.

I know Aaron supported it, and there is some evidence of that in him and his wife's episodes, but the chances of it becoming canon were incredibly slim to none.

holy shit fuck off

I have the impretion that most people avoid Aang on the pariring, just because he is smaller than Katara.

On the comics he is already taller than her, 2 years later, and buffed a little more.

According to the canon pics, he becomes the tallest of the Gaang too.

It happening was all dependent on whether Bryke would budge. Ehasz and Bryke fought over quite a while over whether Toph should be a boy or girl. They actually hadn't decided the pairings while B3 was in production, the possibility of a B4 was still open, and the original plan for the Sozin's Comet finale had no endgame couples.

>no Taang
You done goofed.

Why ship Kataang when Aang can get a girl that didn't brozone him for a whole year?

Sincerely, I am fine with them fucking with Zutarafags.

Worst part of the fandom, by far, along with scrapper.

But the movie never happened

>one anonymous adult on the internet is going to tell another anonymous adult on the internet how they're allowed to enjoy a children's cartoon from 10 years ago

Yeah, I'm the autist

I fucking love Volpe

Toph is too good for Aang.

>that didn't brozone him
I think the appeal of Kataang lies with dudes projecting onto Aang in the hopes they can get a relationship upgrade with whatever girl they're pestering at the moment. I mean, Bryke admitted to Aang being their self-inset on numerous occasions.

Fuck, I hated how arrogant Bryke was about it too: "it was in the DNA from the start" then later claiming that it was a little forced.

OP here. Pure coincidence. This is the first thread I've made on Sup Forums in months.

>source: my ass

On Ji and Meng were better than Katara. Aang could have even ended up with an airbending chick if they had stuck to the "Air Nomads are just hiding plan" like they were going to at the beginning.

epic bro

Aang's appearance was based on DiMartino's appearance and his philosophy reflected that of Konietzko. There's a reason why they didn't give a shit about Korra - she was Aang's opposite and they couldn't relate to her.

>imagine being this fucktarded

Hey, it's fine to like Korra. Lots of people have shit taste.

>later claiming that it was a little forced.

I mean, you really can't take that statement seriously when they were on full damage control/justification mode over Korrasami. Look at episodes like The Fortuneteller, Cave of Two Lovers and Jet in the first season that served literally no purpose in the overall plot except to push this relationship, I really doubt Kataang was a last minute decision.

Honestly the number of AtLA shipping threads there have been this week make it pretty hard to believe it's not one person

yea like Sup Forums is the only place that seems to hate it

Kataang wasn't a last minute but whether they ended up together or not was a complicated decision. The original plan was to have no official couples and then some other writers wanted Zutara.

>yea like Sup Forums is the only place that seems to hate it
It's the only place that still remembers it.

I won't pretend to know about popular opinion, but a lot of people I know thought Korra was pretty disappointing too.

>It's the only place that still remembers it.

tumblr was hating LoK but now they love it because Korrasami happened.

you have a source on that

You could try browsing the site. I remember seeing huge essays on the problems with LoK but people act like all is forgiven because of Korrasami.

so nothing ok

They just said tumblr and you still expecting a source

why was this show such a cancerous blight of the shipping wars?
but by now, everyone knows that kataang is the right answer, its even fucking cannon you shitlords.

there was nothing between katara and zuko you fags.

tokka forever.

guy i have a tumblr i have seen nothing like that

Bryke spent more time in B3 trying to make Zutara look bad rather than develop Kataang while trying to throw in will-they-won't-they drama so it just ended up looking forced.

>Love is a Battlefield
That comic ruined the Kataang pairing for me.

>Zutara
Those people still exist? It's over, ever since season 1, fans were already correctly guessing that Aang and Katara would end up together. The writers weren't even subtle about it. They even made fun of those Zutarians in one of their episodes by having both Zuko and Katara cringe at the prospect.

Not him but I remember a lot of people I know (on and off tumblr) were pretty annoyed about Korra but just gave up by the end of season 2. Obviously that's anecdotal but iirc ratings consistently went down during it's run and you wouldn't see the hate because normal people don't bother going on forums to bitch about a show they just gave up watching. Idk anything about like hardcore fandom-type blogs though

That's really not true at all, go on any platform online that discusses cartoons and you'll see how differently the two shows are regarded. And no, youtube comments don't count nor do tumblr's volatile opinions. And really, when people make these statements I feel like they really weren't around during ATLA's peak and don't realise the amount of praise it got from absolutely anyone, from little kids who wanted action and comedy to jaded manchildren adults who somehow started watching wit.

Korra had nothing until the final 10 seconds because hey, lesbians. The hype died midway through the first season and only picked up slightly on the 3rd, and even then it got put off the air.

ok still not giving me nothing you guys are fucking pathetic what are you going to do next give me a list of nobodys shitting on the show

>and there is some evidence of that in him and his wife's episodes
The only evidences are in Crossroads of Destiny (which has Aang say that Katara is more important to him than the fate of the world) and in Sozin's Comet (which ends with Kataang becoming canon endgame)

Mai Lee or Tyzula?

Mai Lee because it leaves Zuko available for a better girl.

>Better girl
>Mai

That's exactly what they said

Ehasz is only credited as head writer for the final episode. It was mostly by Bryke and Joaquim.

Shit taste

I preferred Taiora to Sorato?

It is subtle, but there are definitely shades of a subtle romance towards the end of book 3. Again, not explicit at all, but with the knowledge these two were heavy supporters of the ship, you can see definitely see the signs. When Katara goes to face her mother's killer, she allows Zuko to see her at her most vulnerable state, in a way she could never do in front of Aang. Zuko repays her in kind by letting her see him at his most vulnerable before he faces his Uncle. Then, when Zuko needs help against Azula, he immediately turns to Katara for help. The growing mutual respect they gain for one another is one of the highlights of the tail end of book 3 for me even if purely platonic, and is done with far more subtlety and elegance than Katara and Aang's contrived mess of a romance.

Old Masters had a bunch of ZukoxKatara ship tease. It was directed by Volpe and written by Ehasz without any major Bryke involvement.

I truly believe that they harbored secret feelings for each other, if only a little. Too bad it never got explored.

Eh I get the appeal of Zutara but I'm glad they didn't go that route honestly. I feel like it would detract from Zuko's story arc among other things

I'd agree if it weren't for how shitty Zuko's canon romance stuff was.

Could've been nice if their relationship slowly progressed until one day they're sort of together. Doesn't need to be a big drama or anything. Also could've been a turning point for Aang to let go and realise that his responsibility as the avatar demands personal sacrifice. Perhaps his acceptance of that fact enables him to reach his full avatar potential and thus ability to energybend somehow. That way we get the best of both worlds.

I heard that in Stitch's voice.

>Eh I get the appeal of Zutara
It's aesthetically pleasing

Not really, Kataang is the best. You can fuck off girl.

Did you just assume my gender?

>Could've been nice if their relationship slowly progressed until one day they're sort of together. Doesn't need to be a big drama or anything.
See this would be nice but I really doubt it would be written like that.

Ehasz wanted to write it that way. I just don't think Bryke would let him. They way Bryke wrote romance can be seen in Korra.

>See this would be nice but I really doubt it would be written like that.
Except it already was. All you'd need is a fraction more content, and a scene of them being touchy feely and you'd be there.

>The way Bryke wrote romance can be seen in Korra.
And Book 3. God, the romance was terrible. Especially Maiko. Zuko is an idiot for thinking Mai is better than Jin.

>They way Bryke wrote romance can be seen in Korra.
Their problem was shoving two retarded love triangles.

If anything they did the opposite of what they did in ATLA.

>ATLA
Water Tribe girl ends up with the younger nice guy that has had a crush on her since he first met her rather than with the brooding handsome firebender that already had a girlfriend

>LoK Book 1
Water Tribe girl ends up with the brooding handsome firebender that already had a girlfriend rather than with the younger nice guy that has had a crush on her since he first met her.

Tuko underrated ship.