So what actually went wrong with this film?

So what actually went wrong with this film?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jTfgXfaCU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not much besides some pacing issues.
Redditlettermedia told Sup Forumsedditors that they hated RO and loved TFA so they incessantly bash it.

Sup Forums letter media didn't liked it so its shit.

dialogues written by 12 year old

It kind of felt pointless outside of seeing the Empire's nice uniforms more or less the same problem every prequel suffers from.

It was supposed to be Saving Private Ryan but it's too risky to take risks so Disney turned it into Suicide Squad.

I fell asleep the first time I watched.... Enjoyed it on the second watch, though. It does have pacing issues I'll agree

The 50% of the film that was reshot looked like shit and had writing to match compared to what was left from the original cut.

I hope we get a restored version one day.

It's more gay star wars shit

Only Sup Forums-reddit hates this movie.

It features everything they hate in one place, plus the concept of unhappy endings is not easily absorbed by the weak minded, they prefer a more 'on rails' story, this movie doesn't get praised enough for some of its ground breaking approaches to an old franchise.

Its better than TFA in my (humble iq135) opnion

>Implying successfully saving the galaxy is an unhappy ending

this

Uninteresting stale characters who are impossible to sympathize with or relate to.

It being better than tfa is common knowledge. I dont like this movie because they could use Vader much better. But instead we got him making jokes and fighting the last moment as fan service.
Fuck disney

It might literally be fan fiction.

Some people hate it for the forced diversity.
Everyone else hates it because it was shit.
Plebs think it was good.

>Only Sup Forums-reddit hates this movie.

It features everything they hate in one place, plus the concept of unhappy endings is not easily absorbed by the weak minded, they prefer a more 'on rails' story, this movie doesn't get praised enough for some of its ground breaking approaches to an old franchise.

Its better than TFA in my (humble iq135) opnion

jews

They kind of finished the franchise with the prequels, why is there more?

>forced diversity
Where???

It was unnecessary.

>Rebelions are built on hope

yeah agreed, that and the ending and just several other parts like Forest Witickers character not going with the rest of the cast and just a bunch of other parts that flat out were just as stupid or didn't make much sense. Movie had potential but fuck did they ruin it.

There are three reasons that are most commonly brought up as to why some hate or really dislike this movie:
1) Female protagonist.
2) "Diverse" cast.
3) Too "dark".

Of these three, only the third can really be considered valid criticism of the movie.

Learn how to greentext then come back from reddit

it was meaning less it this wasnt set in the dogshit universe and the develop the character and not only rely on faggots nostalgia and name drops it would have been a good dark suicide all in movie BUT FUCK DISNEY AND FUCK STAR WARS AND THE REST OF THIS DOGSHIT CINEMATIC UNIVERSE SHIT

Shite characters is a big one.

Not one goddamn thing. This was leagues better than that shitfest TFA.

Had potential to be a decent spinoff (a war movie focusing on the rebels could have been neat) but leave it to Disney to fuck up a semi-interesting concept.

it's a film made for the kind of people that enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy. May just be nostalgia but i don't remember the OT trying to be a big ass toy-ad

People had to make up for the fact they were swindled by TFA and its hype and nostalgia.

i laughed out loud in the theater when i saw forest fucking whitaker in that suit. i had actually forgotten how genuinely awful this dogshit movie was

Casting Felicity Jones is what went wrong.

best star wars movie desu

Just like the upcoming Han Solo movie, it's not something anyone wanted. There was some cool shit in RO but I had a hard time caring about what I was watching.

Script seemed slapped together, 1st act was a jumbled mess, no fucks given about any of the characters, Vader shoehorned in PURELY for fan service, bad acting from the lead. 3rd act almost rescued it but too much damage had been done in the first 2/3 of the movie.

>So what actually went wrong with this film?
that tiny spaceship that pushed the big spaceship into another big spaceship and saved the day

I wanted it and it ended up being my favorite Star Wars movie since the OT.

On the other hand, the Han Solo movie can go fuck itself.

Agreed on all points

>people still triggered by a "rebellion" because they identify with the bad guys

ultra forgettable characters, dialogue making no sense, jumping from planet to planet, boring two thirds, and it took itself way too seriously. force awakens was so much better.

Did this movie have bad guys?

Too serious for the SW manchildren, too ridiculous for a war movie. Also characters flatter than my laptop.

Still a solid 6 at worst.

it was boring, the characters were boring

Diego Luna is probably the worst actor in gods green earth. He should stick with telenovelas

The parts of the film that have a focus and grit work best.

The Disney stuff you can feel was forced into it ruins the tone.

The space battles are among the best in the entire franchise, with Y-Wings actually used properly (in contrast to TFA's X-Wing fanwanking).

Krennic is a great character; he's curiously sympathetic.

Bunnyfu was good but they could have done more with Jyn's relationship with her father.

Magic Stick Man was ok but I would have preferred no force use in this movie other than perhaps Vader.

CG Tarkin worked well and was unavoidable, but CG Leia was unnecessary.
Forest Whitaker's Saw Gorera was a pointless and contrived character.

like an hour+ of nothing interesting happening then 15 minutes of some okay scenes with the big toys making explosions

They had 2 Asians, a Swathy South American, a nerd man, a robot, and a Bunny.

Diverse in a good way.

I’m generally in agreement, though I thought it was leagues better than TFA. I only find two major flaws and it’s not bad characterization, but too many characters in too little time, which ties into I think the second flaw of poor pacing. Reminded me of the that samurai remake that came out a year ago, no investment in any of the chars except the main two protags

don't forget about the black guy u fuckin racist

Can we all agree that Krennic is the best villain in the franchise after Sheev?

Dropping Kyle and namechanging/racechanging Jan.
Should have been the start of Dark Forces kino

3 2 3 4 4 2 3 AND!

Only the last third of the movie was good, great even. But the rest was episode 1 tier.

Vader shoehorn was fine, it was only 10 seconds of screen time and it was a great ending.

They both pale to all versions of Grievous, besides his movie version

I hated this movie seeing it on opening night and now I can't complain about it without being accused of being a RedLetterMedia fanboy.

Not a whole lot, but it was nothing particularly special, either. Sadly it was Gareth Edwards's best work, which speaks volumes about how shitty he is as a director.
It was honest about its nostalgiafaggotry, so it has that over A New Hope 2.

It's an okay movie but it doesn't feel very Star Wars.

I guess they didn't want it to, though.

The pacing is fucking horrible, this movie is far too long despite not much happening.

The characters are absolute shit. The robot and Donnie Yen+sidekick are only likable because they are shitposter quiplords. The others lack any identifiable or likable character traits and the dialogue is just awful.

The movie looks shabby and drab and dreadful. Sure maybe that's the point, but you can take something shitty and make it better to look at than this flat fucking mess.

It's full of shit that makes no sense. What the fuck was with Forrest Whitaker's character? What the fuck was with the super brain reading monster that MAKES YOU INSANE but the guy is fine like one and a half scenes later?

Portrays the Rebels as a bunch of backstabbing, cowardly faggots who were always one moment away from breaking apart. Why are we supposed to root for them then? The whole point is the Empire is evil.

The fanservice stuff is REALLY distracting and annoying. Here's a one second shot of 3P0 and R2 in a hanger! What? It's the guys from the bar! What? Why?

AT-ATs (sorry, AT-ACTs) being used for defense when they're frontal assault vehicles made to cause high collateral damage?

The only thing I can actually say I liked about the film was the final assault on the base and especially the space battle. The last 20 or so minutes is good, the rest is the absolute worst Star Wars movie.

>dialogues written for 12 year olds
ftfy

Here's the new Fake Plinkett review

m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jTfgXfaCU

And TCW version.

>tfw I've never seen it and talk shit about it constantly because I'm a petty nerd who was hoping for a Dark Forces trilogy.

No. Fuck off.

As shit as he is there's not much you can do when you play a sandnigger who's only character trait is friendly fire.

This movie is a very rare case where I knew it was going to be shit literally less than 5 minutes into it.

Once they cut to the third goddamn planet within a span of 2 minutes I knew there was no hope that this would be even remotely watchable.

I want more of this movies instead new sagas

This is a stupid complaint about a movie called Star Wars but there was just way to much senseless killing in this movie for me to enjoy it

People hate Rey and Jyn but lemme ask u: have u read Nemesis by Isaac Asimov? Have u read Absolution Gap by Alasdair Reynolds? Strong superpowerful daughters are the future!

>badly written
Spends tons of time in the beginning with exposition and stuffs most of the action in at the end, stumbles at emotional highpoints, etc.
>isn't original or different enough
>tons of embarrassing bad fanservice

Basically it's like if someone made a movie based on mediocre fanfic.

Maybe make them interesting or likable then. Jyn is one of the most utterly bland shitty characters I've ever had to follow around for a whole movie.

Rey is somewhat likable, I don't have a problem with the characters in the new trilogy, my problem is that the new trilogy's plots and action scenes are straight up ripped off from the original to the point where you're not even watching a new movie.