Superman Star Henry Cavill Says "Mistakes Have Been Made" With The DC Universe

>Although DC's cinematic universe has been hugely popular at the box office, it has been less kindly received by critics. Wonder Woman was a hit with both fans and reviewers, but the likes of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad were met with much criticism. Now, Superman star Henry Cavill has spoken about the state of the DC universe and admitted that "mistakes" have been made.

>In an interview with Canadian publication The Rake, Cavill said that DC's problems were more than just a comparison with superhero rivals Marvel. "Even if Marvel didn't exist, we'd struggle," he admitted. "There was a style [DC was] going for, an attempt to be different and look at things from a slightly different perspective, which hasn't necessarily worked. Yes, it has made money, but it has not been a critical success; it hasn't given everyone that sensation which superheroes should give the viewer.

>"I feel like now the right mistakes have been made and they haven't been pandered [to], and we can start telling the stories in the way they need to be told. It is even better to come back from a mistake or stylistic error into the correct vein because it will make it seem that much stronger. Wonder Woman was the first step in the right direction."

>Both Cavill and Gadot are set to appear in Justice League, which is released next month. The movie is on course for a big opening weekend at the box office, with early tracking suggesting a $110-$120 million debut. That number would rank it above Wonder Woman, which opened to $103.2 million, but below both Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad.

gamespot.com/articles/superman-star-henry-cavill-says-mistakes-have-been/1100-6454549/

Candid stuff. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14308945
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Superman actor always ready to search for hope
>Batman actor always in the brink of despair

The good thing about the DCEU is that the actors actually become the characters

>Wonder Woman actor gets a lot of hate for her race and gender but never gives up on humanity

It's true.

justice league looks crappy. i hope it is decent.

Gonna be the best DCEU movie. Easily.

Easy.

With Joss Whedon writing for it?

lol

>Green Lantern actor fucks everything up and gets replaced

Cavill is an enemy of capekino. We need to get rid of him.

Yes. Say what you will about his political opinions, but his writing has remained top notch, much like Mel Gibson.

It sucks because I think Cavill could be a great Supes but Snyder, Terri, and Goyer have just undercut him at every fucking turn. I just want Man of Steel 2 featuring Brainiac, cheerful Supes, and no fucking Snyder.

Justice League may be our first glimpse at a Superman uncorrupted by Snyder.

Will we ever se a Superman:the red son movie?

Bullshit. She shouldnt have been cast as wonder woman and fuck you for pulling the race /gender card. She sucks as wonder woman period. Fucking clownshoes

Top kek

Wonder Woman should be tough looking with a toned body. Gadot is a much better choice than the scrawny little thing they cast for the old TV series back in the day.

>tough looking with a toned body
So, like pic related?

I don't see why you would cast Bill Clinton as Wonder Woman, no.

That actually not that hard since they all fucking suck.

More like 60% corrupted by Snyder.

That's why I said easily you chump.

Worked out for Watchmen.

>Althought DC's cinematic universe has been hugely popular at the box office
>hugely popular
>at the box office
Wonder Woman was their only certified hit, Suicide Squad did good but it wasn't exactly a blockbuster. BvS barely broke even and those are DC's two best characters and arguably the top 2 comic characters of all time

Faora from MoS should have been WW.

>Forgetting about the CGI'd out mustache

Superman is too overpowered, the past 20 years of comic book movies focused on heros being portrayed as very vulnerable, it just doesn't work for a character as powerful as Superman. WB is also trying to make him gritty, but he's not a gritty character, he's has a clean cut look, the only director I think can make a great Superman film in today's climate would be Rami

Which is weird because in most adaptations of Superman he's felt annoyingly UNDERpowered for how powerful he should be. Snyder is the one person to get it right.

>Superman is too overpowered
Which is why the best conflict is him dealing with the practical limits of his abilities. Hes fast, strong, and invulnerable, but he can't be everywhere, and things still happen that even he can't prevent.
Take the death of Pa Kent in superman 78 for a perfect example.

*sigh*
I meant the fisique, you twat

snyder did it in a bad way, it's okay for superman to show effort/emote pain/get tired/bruise/etc

>fisique
Lol.

Marvelbros in charge of spelling.

Sure, but nobody ever shows Superman punching someone and that person going flying 50 feet into the air. That was what we needed.

But MoS and BvS were the only remotely good capeshit of the 2010's, everything else has been complete shit made for brainlets and brown people.

But that's wrong you fucking retard.

Go watch Rick and Morty fag

even the punching sucked and was boring, superman has a great wrestling inspired move set

t. brainlet/brown person

Rick and morty is faggot shit made for brainlets and brown people

>t.

Stopped reading there.

t. brainlet

>t.

Stopped reading there.

t. cuck

>spoiler tag
Stopped reading there.

cuck.

t. someone else

>Canadian publication The Rake
Aha no fucking way

Stop posting.

he basically said Snyder IS the mistake

Snyder himself isn't a mistake. The mistake was putting him in charge.

>Snyder isn't the mistake, except he is the mistake

>fisique
literally my black gf's name

>Sup Forums hates the movie that fans and critics love because it stars a female jew

Why am I not surprised?

Isn't he dead?

>*sigh*
>physique
>twat
But yes, Wonder Woman should be muscular although maybe not as much as Mother Russia. I wouldn't object to a Mother Russia Wonder Woman but I do object to a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman.

>Capeshit actors giving even the slightest fuck about "telling stories the way they were meant to be told"
They don't even read the fucking comics
All they do is fuck dirty old rich men and turn up for one day on set

such great heights

It doesn't matter how many times you reboot a franchise within a short time with new actors and big audiences with critical success, Spider-Man is proof of that.

>I feel like now the right mistakes have been made
It's a wonder what a word does. I fucking hate journos. Massive distaste.

A brit turning red coat no surprise here

95% of comic books are complete shit. You don't have to be le ebin comic nerd xDDD to care about making a good movie, and Cavill admits there have been some missteps in the DCEU

Wuthering Heights.

This, every Snyder movie that has actually been good has been good because of someone else doing the brunt of the work. For example, David Hayter wrote the script to Watchmen.

>They don't even read the fucking comics
Plenty of them do. Namely Ryan Reynolds.

>it just doesn't work for a character as powerful as Superman
It worked perfectly fine in Mos/Bvs, they showed his emotional vulnerability and confliction.
>WB is also trying to make him gritty, but he's not a gritty character
No they are not, they are simply asking what would happen if you had him grow up in a realistic world with honest parents who know how bad the world is and actually prepare him for such.

lol

Who do you want to direct Man of Steel 2?
strawpoll.me/14308945

Don't his parents prepare him for the world in the comics?

Of course mistakes have been made. You have fucking Superman and Batman in a movie together. How, HOW do you manage to fuck that up?

Part of their problem is that they are too greedy. People love Batman and because of that they keep shoving Batman to the front at the cost of not letting rest of their characters shine.

So you could have a really OP Superman doing mind blowing shit but nope, Batman needs to be able to beat Superman...

No he never said there was any mistake in Snyder's dceu films in terms of film making competence only that they were not what audiences wanted.

I'm surprised you included Gareth Edwards in there even though I like him. He gets a lot of hate on Sup Forums but I've consistently enjoyed his work.

Of those, though, I'm gonna have to go with Villenueve. He's like "What if Snyder wasn't a hack?"

Zack Snyder was the mistake.

No they just blindly tell him he is going to do great things and that people are inherently good.
They never really show them warning Clark about them fearing him/hating him regardless of what good he does, they never warn him of the fact that religious finatics will cause war & genocide to spite him for being a alien and proving their gods false, they never warn him about society loosing their shit over him.

I voted jj for the lulz I doubt there will be a second they want wonder woman as the lead now

They should have done a Batman solo movie first. Introducing Batman to the universe THROUGH BvS was incredibly stupid and only even happened because they are rushing to catch up with Marvel. I guess they figured they could get away with it because the Dark Knight trilogy was so fresh in people's minds, but no. Though, Batman beating Superman isn't one of my problems with the movie. He is consistently able to outwit him in the comics despite Superman's insane power level.

Better idea: Woman of Steel. Introduce Kara to the DCEU.

>I'm surprised you included Gareth Edwards in there
Rogue One was superb & he doesn't have another project line up yet so such makes him a more realistic option.
>Villenueve
>He's like "What if Snyder wasn't a hack?"
There is nothing hack-ish about Mos.

Snyder

>but his writing has remained top notch
lol

>I voted jj for the lulz
He would be a perfectly fine choice if they full stop do not allow him to homage or remake the Reeves films at all.
His films were he is not trying to basically remake stuff like MI3 are great.

>but nobody ever shows Superman punching someone and that person going flying 50 feet into the air
Because Superman is actually capable of restraining himself.
Why would he punch a regular human so they go flying 50 feet?

I was mostly joking about the hack thing, but I think Villenueve has a similar style to Snyder without being so overly reliant on spectacle, so I'd find him to be a good fit. I would be fine with Edwards, though. I'd also enjoy Vaughn as the director if they decided to take MoS2 in a more lighthearted direction.

Prove that it hasn't. Go on, quote something from the script.

no. not even real parents tell their children how shitty the world is. maybe that's why Autumn killed herself because Snyder kept telling her how awful everything is.

He isn't asking for it to be done with regular people. he is asking more superman on superhuman battles.

The entirety of the Avengers.
Also Age of Ultron.

Michael Bay would be perfect
>no quips
>no fake deep stuff

Joss is just there to add some levity. the story is all Zack and Chris Terrio.

Why would beings capable of physically challenging Superman be sent flying by Superman?
They'd be able to stand their ground and take the hit.

Real children aren't going to fundamentally change society and human history just by their very existence.

It's clear as day they also told him about humanities good side hence him already wanting to save people as a child. They just warned him about the bad, no different then parents who tell kids not to talk to strangers.

>>no fake deep stuff
It wasn't fake at all, the religious stuff is irrelevant, the world building was wonderful and Bay would spit on it.
Fuck you, I will take quips before I take his brainless fucking ass.

>It's clear as day they also told him about humanities good side hence him already wanting to save people as a child.
maybe Snyder should've shown that so as to not make the Kents look like fucking cunts.

Same reason Thor was sent flying by blows from Iron Man or the Hulk in the first Avengers despite being durable enough to not be injured by the blows and being strong enough to crush the armor in hand. The concussive force is still enough to propel away your body upon impact.

>the world building was wonderful
Want to get to Gotham from Metropolis?
Just rent a row boat lmao
And who could forget the presence of the Turkish Airlines, such a deep and interesting world Snyder has built.
Truly the kinoest of kinos.

There is nothing cunt-ish about worrying about the big picture.
If you bothered to pay attention it was spelled out that their warnings were not about being selfish.
Hence the line after "mabye".
>"There is more at stake then our lives or the lives of those around us"

>actually using Marvel as an example
And again, Superman is capable of adjusting his power to match is opponent, or to defeat them quickly.
Sending them flying would also just give them a chance to escape.

I hope not.

No I am talking about them showing humanity have many different realistic reactions to Superman instead of blindly trusting him like in the Reeves films.
I am talking about the sequence with scientist & news people pondering his existence. I am talking about showing the negative consequences to when he saves people in Africa.

IT'S NOT DEEP, no one is saying it is deep, only that the world building was more realistic, honest & immersive then more silly fare offered by most superhero films.

How does Superman disprove the existence of God? Why isn't it possible that God could have created a being like Superman?

Nice quote. /s

Because the Bible/Quran don't mention other races on other planets.