Dear lesbians of Sup Forums, what do you think makes a good lesbian character in comics/cartoons...

Dear lesbians of Sup Forums, what do you think makes a good lesbian character in comics/cartoons? What would be a good example?

Straight white shitlord here, wouldn't it be the same stuff that makes any character engaging?

Not a lesbian here. But /frz/ was swarming with them back in the day.

Not a lesbian but it just has to like any other pairing, organic. Shit like korrasami was thrown in at the last minute, but garnet makes sense.

In all honesty if korra was just korra and asami fucking around people wouldve been more on board

>what do you think makes a good lesbian character in comics/cartoons?
Step 1 for writing good lesbian characters: Don't

Seriously. No straight guy or girl is going to nail what makes a lesbian characters unique (relative to straight or gay characters) and even then writing good hetero characters/relationships isn't exactly easy when you consider how much garbage is out there.
Now obviously I dont think ONLY a gay person could write good gay characters but I do think there's a certain aspect a straight person wouldn't be able to capture.

Also PB/Marcy are a terrible example. Totally inorganic and from a writing perspective it felt completely shoehorned. Exploring the (romantic/sexual) aspects of their homosexuality is used more for comedy than legitimate character development.

tl;dr:
>Hey baby how YOU doin?
>Sorry manbabby I only FUCK HOT GIRRRRLLLLSSSSSSSSS
^- 99% of all "lesbian" characters

>Seriously. No straight guy or girl is going to nail what makes a lesbian characters unique

I'm not sure this is true. What exactly makes them unique besides their sexual orientation? Is the way they behave within a relationship that different to how heterosexual couples act? I'm not buying it. Every relationship is different, so as long as you are being genuine and take time to craft it, you should be able to make any relationship work well.

This. If you have a black character and keep reinforcing the fact that they're black, it's a shit character. Give them a personality, don't make them an archetype. Different groups have different experiences, yeah, but that isn't the sole way to define them

A dead one user.

This.

Not with homosexuals you don't.

/thread

Ever watched Dofus?

>Also PB/Marcy are a terrible example. Totally inorganic and from a writing perspective it felt completely shoehorned. Exploring the (romantic/sexual) aspects of their homosexuality is used more for comedy than legitimate character development.
You know they aren't even gay, right? It's mostly an headcanon by the fandom

>>tl;dr:
>>Hey baby how YOU doin?
>>Sorry manbabby I only FUCK HOT GIRRRRLLLLSSSSSSSSS
>^- 99% of all "lesbian" characters
Well, that's definitely not how PB and marcy are, though.

If we are going to talk about headcanon, I wsimply consider that people who have known each other for almost a 1000 years and basically only have each other for so long will inevitably form a bond that goes beyond romance or friendship. this is why so much viewer confuse it for lesbianism. I am not saying that they didn't experiment once or twice (who wouldn't try in a 1000 year), but I don't think this is what their relationship is based on.

You're not giving any reasons. Every single relationship operates on different dynamics anyway; there is no set way homosexual couples behave. So what does it matter exactly?

>Now obviously I dont think ONLY a gay person could write good gay characters but I do think there's a certain aspect a straight person wouldn't be able to capture.
>I don't think this, but I do.

At least for me, it matters less how they're portrayed and more about the fan reaction. Most depictions of characters who happen to be homosexual are subtle and not a topic that gets in the way of the main plot.

When people complain about the influx of lesbians in cartoons, I think they're more wary of the multitude of fanart and blogs worshiping their favorite pairings whenever they can.

That being said, have there been any female characters that have been explicitly confirmed to be homosexual within the show's episodes? Not stuff stated or strongly hinted at by the people involved in the show.

This is nearly as stupid as "whites shouldn't write blacks/vice versa" and "men shouldn't write women/vice versa".

The characters need to fall in love on screen. Or at least you need cues on when/if a relationship is forming.
No one gives a fuck about sexual orientation anymore, save a few hillbillys. Problem is that the lesbian relationships as they're always shown are shit. Always thrown in at the last minute and/or simply 'implied'.

Only two lesbian couples that did it fine are Garnet (even tho you could argue that they're not lesbians, but I'm not autistic enough to try and counter this argument.) and Simone and that cat lady in dofus (whatever her name was).
Ruby and Sapphire are interesting by themselves. Ruby is that short tempered tomboy, that's completely retarded but passionate, and Sapphire sees the future and can be seen as cold because of that. They're not 'just lesbians', they're characters that happened to be lesbians.
And Dofus' couple is something else, it's simply not 'in your face' (guess the fact that it's targeted audience isn't old enough to understand/care is part of it). It's there, you can't deny there's a relationship going, but it starts relatively slowly, and takes a while to develop. And the cues all happen, one by one, and you can't make them up. (Like in Korra, for example.)

But the short answer is, don't make a lesbian character. Make a character, and it can end up being homosexual.

Elsanna is best OTP

Agreed. IMO I wouldn't use Ruby and Sapphire as the best example, as they're a bit underdeveloped as characters, but the dynamic IS there. Just write two girls, give them an interesting dynamic, THEN make them gay. Not that hard. Any straight person could write a decent gay romance if they asked actual gay people for advice & focused more on the characters instead of the fact that they're gay.

>Underdeveloped
Are they? I mean, we STILL barely know shit about any gems at this point. It's more along the lines of they're not developed YET, than them being underdeveloped.
Also I believe that 'asking what gay thinks' is stupid as hell. They're persons, like you.
They don't 'think differently' than you do. Only thing that changes is they're craving for a cock/pussy while having one.
Only advices you'd get from asking an homosexual (men or women) would be physical shit, according to their preferences.
No, romance is romance, whether it's manxwoman, manxman or helicopterxdinosaur.