Top tier comics

Hey Sup Forums, im thinking miracleman might be the best comic I've ever read. All nostalgia aside, I think it was better than sandman. Where do I go from here? They won't even announce a release date for the Gaiman silver age and after reading miracleman, nothing can really compare. I'm almost finished with fables but it feels like child's play after this. Send me some suggestions??

Other Moore comics?

Nexus

I've read thus far from Moore:
Swamp thing
From hell
League of extraordinary gentleman
Watchmen
V for vendetta
Collection on his D.C. Work (whatever happened to the man of tommorow etc.)
Have I bled him dry?
Also some other writers would be nice for the variety.

Thanks! Tell me more!

Providence, Top 10, Tom Strong, and Supreme

And Promethea.

Whoah that helps, personal favorites?

Well, if you're interested in space operas, then this book should definitely be up your alley. The main character isn't treated like he's the center of the universe, the story is always moving, and pretty much everyone in the comic has their own agency. The comic is mostly drawn by Steve Rude, who is fantastic with his paneling, his composition, and you can really see that as the story goes on that he continues to get better, and coupled with the writing of Mike Baron, you'll find yourself reading a comic that is being made by two people who sincerely love what they're doing and show it by giving it their all.

Promethea?

>Cerebus
>Legion of Super-Heroes
>Unflattening
>Corto Maltese
>Madman

Well, it really depends what you like. Do you prefer stylish action? Fantasy? Historical fiction? Pulpy detective stories, perhaps?

I like pulpy detective stories, sci fi, y: the last man was a little lackluster for me if that says anything. I Really like high-concept cerebral stuff. If there's some real feels or potent romance mixed into a genre comic then I'm in heaven.

Read X-Men Archives: Captain Britain issues 1-7, also by Alan Moore and Alan Davis.

But I was originally asking if that description was in reference to promethea.

Are there any Shazam (captain marvel) comics that are high-concept or aimed at a mature audience that I can read. I really like the character but all his comics are so basic.
I just asked on Sup Forums but I doubt they'll have any answers for me lol.

Give me some pulpy detective stories. I read an issue of vigilante that Moore wrote and really liked it, should I delve deeper?

Sounds like you should really check out Hellblazer, if you haven't already. The character of John Constantine should be familiar to you from Swamp Thing, and this is his solo series. Part grimy detective fiction, part magic and demons, part British social realism.

Miracleman is a Captain Marvel comic aimed at adults.

Incal and Metabarons

Yeah I'm reading hellblazer right now, loving it but it's kind of an in between comic for me because there's so much. Would it be okay if I skipped a couple books and read the run that Warren Ellis did for it? Or is it important that I read chronologically.

Yeah I know, but it was originally just captain marvel aimed at the U.K. And D.C. Has had plenty of one to make a captain marvel of substance.

Protip. High concept means simple pitch along the lines of "Shazam fights Godzilla". It doesn't mean "mature and complex", in fact it basically means the exact opposite.

Are there any comics where he fights Godzilla though?

Yes, read the whole thing.

Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme

The Whiz era is the best stuff, though it's aimed at kids, though a mature audience can appreciate it.

Delano and Ennis are the "important" runs

Yeaaaaa that's on the listtt

Well one of his primary antagonists is the Monster Society of Evil so make of that what you will

Sweet, I'm really happy to get that confirmation because what I read felt so interesting

who caressss

Oh that's intersting, I work in film and we never use that term to describe something like alien vs predator haha. Like the sci-fi films that are in highest demand right now are "low-tech, high-concept". Like being John malkovich esque films.

Aw kitty, who hurt you?

wow rude

Sin City is a classic in that genre. At its best, it's pure testosterone put to paper - hard men doing hard things in a nightmarish film noir setting. Miller's artwork is generally a love it or hate it kind of affair though. I happen to be in the former camp.

For a more classic approach, try Blacksad - a more lighthearted take on the genre, while still being very well-written and occasionally moving. Don't let the anthro characters put you off, and give it a chance.

There's The Spirit, of course. Definitely more to the comic side of the scale, and fantastically charming. Classic pulpy "two fisted tales" stuff.

That's just the essentials, though. You can also try things like
>Fatale
>Fell
>The Goon
>Torpedo
>Scalped
>100 Bullets

You'll survive big boy

Have you read Silver Surfer: Requiem? You should if not.

Anything With some real feels? But not like slice-of-life Blankets type shit. Superman: a man for all seasons makes me cry real tears.

Thanks I'll put that on the list, I used to read the essential as a kid but I don't know where to start now.

>Anything With some real feels?

I've got the thing for you.

Sin City has a lot of tragedy

I've never heard of this either, looks right up my alley, anything else?

Goon itself or this one in specific?

That particular one, but it'll be a lot more impactful if you preceding issues first.

Well, it depends what you mean by "real feels". If you mean "genre comics with a certain level of emotional impact and tragic characters", then things like The Goon and Sin City is what you want. If you mean "weaponized depression", then Chris Ware is your man.

Read Stray Bullets. It is the pinnacle of crime comics.

Thanks, you guys are filling my list right up

You read any Grant Morrison, OP?

Only the mainstream D.C. Stuff. I've been meaning to read the invisibles but for some reason everywhere I go is sold out of the first book. I'm assuming it's worth the read?

It's pretty neato

I think they're reprinting his Doom Patrol right now if you want to give that a look

Oh, sure. It's pretty fucking weird, though.

Its my all time fav, my other favs being Moores Swamp Thing, Lemires Descender which is ongoing, Hellblazer if you like Sandman and Swamp Thing, Simon Spurriors Down Legacy (terrified of the show) and most things by Brubaker and Philips are pretty great

You mean xmen legacy?

Lmao yea, auto corrected

Where should I start with the brubaker and philips? There's so much to choose from

just get the deluxe

Fatale is great occult shit that has some length. Fade out is a fun noir-ish story that's only 12 issues in length. Criminal is fucking GOAT but its a long, wild ride. Their ongoing kill or be killed is shaping up really well too. You really can't go wrong with any if them though

Word I'll start with fatale then, although long doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't start milking and get stagnant

>proto-SJWshit
>by a literal cuck
>top tier
I want Sup Forumsmblr to go away. Miracleman starts by building up a character with godlike powers and the ability to impose his Will on the world, but what does he do with it? Disgusting. Sad.

Criminal certainly doesnt get stagnant but theres some parts that shine much brighter than others. Lemires sweet tooth and moon knight (on going) are also great, as is trillium if you want a short but fun read. Two other short but fun comics that are Miracleman esque are Silver Surfer Requiem and In Thy Name

>Builds a Utopia that will inevitably fall

I think you're missing the points that are made

Aw Cutie

And I want Sup Forums to go away. We are here to discuss if a comic is good, not about it's politics.

Just finished reading this last week and it was amazing.

>No Animal Man

>what does he do with it?
Impose his will on the world?

That's pretty amusing because its exactly the opposite of the actual definition. High-concept means an easily pitched and succinctly stated premise. Something like John Wick "criminals kill guy's dog, guy gets revenge." Low-concept means something that is hard to summarize because its focus is on more subtle and complex ideas like character development, themes, symbols, etc. Kinda like...Being John Malkovich.

Just curious, have any of your pitches been picked up? You might be misunderstanding everyone's intention. "Low-tech, high-concept" sci-fi films are indeed in the highest demand. But that means things like Robocop not Being John Malkovich. Which makes sense considering that Being John Malkovich made about $30 million on a budget of about $13 million so...it barely made any money. Just to contrast Robocop had roughly the same budget and made over $50 million so...I think "low-tech, high-concept" is being used to describe something other than what you think its describing.

Fuck you, the name is Captain marvel

Will simpson is what carried ennis' fanfic. Like, two fucking years to see the king of vampires again? Constantine becoming a bum over that stupid irish cunt?

Is it just me or do I not see Red Son or Kingdom Come anywhere?

Read more comics.

Mike Carey's Hellblazer run was pretty good as well. He is known for writing incredibly long story arcs.You have read Sandman, right? Pic related is probably the best spin off in the Sandman mythos. Carey wrote a 75 issue series, plus three issue mini, and one issue one-shot, that tells a complete story. It is 75 issues of continuous action and movie set-pieces. It recently got reprinted in five large softcover books.

If you want something more cerebral, Carey also wrote The Unwritten, a deconstruction of modern fantasy novels and literature

Animal Man and Red Son are both better than a lot on the list.

>only capeshit is Year One and Watchmen

Why are people so ashamed of super heroes?

I mean, nothing on that list doesn't belong that I noticed (although really I fucking hate Ghost World; I get that I'm the minority), but it's just ignoring such a huge part of the medium. And as great as Year One is, I wouldn't even say it's the best mainstream super hero book; it's just one of the most famous. DKR probably fits the list better, and I'd throw things like Marvels, Kingdom Come, All-Star Star Superman into contention.

It's also way biased to old stuff. There's more recent shit that definitely deserves recognition.

Oh nevermind, I just saw Digital Fortress in there. It's fucking bait after all.

Moore's best work was Swamp Thing, so that's where you go.

Lucifer > Sandman.

The fact that you don't recognize a comic doesn't mean that it's a bad comic.

Dark Knight Returns IS on there, you whiny whiner.

Check out The Incal. Way ouy-there sci-fi with beautiful art.

For pure action and pacing yes. There are only like 5 single issues in the entirety of Lucifer, and they serve to build the greater story being woven, I really, really liked the short stories in Sandman more than in Lucifer though. Lucifer also had a more consistent art style, even though artists drastically switched every other arc. OP, if you are seeing this, Lucifer is very similar to how something like Hellboy is plotted out: it is intelligent "capeshit"

Incal is so stupid.

I also very much prefer Lucifer as a protagonist to Dream. Less moping around about failed relationships and more fucking people over by telling the truth and being an Honest Joe.

So what are your suggestions?

I'd suggest Corto Maltese and Torpedo.
Torpedo was also storytimed recently.

Flex Mentallo is amazing, especially if you're aware of the history of comics in America, as well as all of the popular criticisms of comics as a genre. Plus, dose muscles tho.

>muh references
Laugh out loud.

You're upset because I don't like your French shit. Don't be. It's not meant as a personal insult. It's just a difference in taste.

Above all, Sup Forums has shit taste.

Right, right, if it's French then it's shit, I should have known.

well yeah, it's a list of good comics

You're desperate to find something to argue about. I don't understand you, but that's fine. You can keep replying if you want. Don't expect any (You)s though.

Jodo is Chilean, though

>You're desperate to find something to argue about.
Look in a mirror. The original post was yours, not mine.

>high concept
>cerebral
Except you're an idiot, high concept means easily explained to the masses

They probably confused high concept with highbrow.

we've already been over this, user