Compelling psychological thrillers like this?

Compelling psychological thrillers like this?
Films that have intelligent plot progression and keep the viewer engaged and thinking?

Bumping this, I loved prisoners

ikr. what a great film.
it was paced perfectly and the atmosphere and tone set by the film complemented the story just right. every character acted in ways that were understandable yet interesting and the story itself was so compelling.

fuck there should be more films that evoke so much intrigue and are directed so well.

dennis the villain is today's best working director

prestige

the films of david fincher

Anyone else loved seeing Paul Dano get beat?

>Prisoners
>intelligent plot progression

Enjoyed the hell out of this movie, but it seemed like it was totally ignored when it came out.

i got a sense of satisfaction in seeing his character get beaten up because he seemed so pointlessly antagonistic and annoying. but that was the point. you're supposed to feel angry at paul dano in the film until the reveal at the end in which you suddenly see a different perspective.

it had a pretty great progression my man. this is a good film.

Cure for Wellness

have seen them

no. arrival is a blot on his filmography imo. he's a very good director yes. but not necessarily a genius or the best.
lynne ramsay is up there among the best imo. for me a director qualifies above the rest when there is something spectacularly unique about their direction or if their direction helps the story telling in extremely innovative, interesting or intelligent ways. Prisoners was shot amazingly well but that was mostly due to roger deakins. And denis is a good director but not the best.

God I loved this movie but the last 20minutes were bad

>it had a pretty great progression my man
That sure convinced me.

what do you want me to say you goddamn mongoloid. not like you brought any intelligent critique to the table that i could refute.

How, I thought it had a pretty bad ass ending. The only part I didn’t get was why he looked so demented as he rode the bike into the darkness

>what do you want me to say you goddamn mongoloid.
Something more intelligent than "it was pretty great" and "this is good".

>not like you brought any intelligent critique to the table that i could refute.
It's just that this film is so remarkable at making no sense at all. Just throw together mysterious things like mazes and snakes and spice it up with scenery chewing and retards like you will grunt "'s great, 's good".

I don't think a more sophisticated or well-crafted plot exists than that of Miller's Crossing famalam

>Something more intelligent than "it was pretty great" and "this is good".
are you literally retarded? the third post explains why. and usually its pretty easily understandable in general what makes films good. its the critique that is specific and needs to be responded to. but your dense 12 year old head clearly doesn't understand that.

>It's just that this film is so remarkable at making no sense at all.
confirmed brainlet. try watching the film multiple times if you don't understand it in the first go. its a pretty straightforward movie but take your time trying to understand it.

Prisoners

The most IMDB sensibility film made so far. Anybody who thinks that Prisoners is above mediocre is juvenile about the medium and entirely emblematic of the video game crossposter fueled downfall of this board.

Villeneuve is one of the biggest trashmasters working today, hack's hack. This is hot pocket: the movie. Cheeto dust: the flick.

IMDB "FILM BUFF" pleb fodder. If you like this film then you are an enemy of the medium.

>MUH BASED JAKE
>MUH BASED DEAKINS
>MUH DARK THRILLER
>MUH RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM

All the memes are there, it's shit. Get some fucking taste.

thanks user. this is what i was looking for.
>sophisticated and well crafted plots.

most shit i see in films is just banal, trite, unoriginal garbage. rarely are films challenging or compelling.

This pasta was never funny

here's an idea. instead of ranting like an autist, why not name a few of your favorite films from this genre.

I spent a lot off time laughing at this you autist

tasteless post

>Le old lady is the crazy killer twist

Yawn

>from this genre
I don't have one much like I don't have a favorite color. This is because I am not an infantilized video game enabling cultural terrorist.

> their direction helps the story telling in extremely innovative, interesting or intelligent ways

I think you could argue that this happened with Blade Runner, I've never seen a film that doles out vital plot information in such a perfectly placed way all throughout the ~3hr run time

Have you ever watched Incendies? Idiot.

>I don't have a favorite color
he didn't ask that, he asked you to specifically name films in this genre or similar that are good

no point feeding the troll/baiter.

Fracture 2007

>b-but muh waifu kino!

I watched Villeneuve's other one the other day, Enemy with Jake G

It sucked

Sup brainlet

blow me gayboi. i knew it was going to be shit as soon as i saw it was canadian produced

it was unoriginal, and just boring. be mad

>gayboi

Get a load of this faggot.

>Zodiac
>Gone Girl
>Mind Hunter
>Social Network
>The Lovely Bones
>Memories of Murder

These all have the same feel and tone to me, makes sense because four of them were by Fincher.

The Chaser
Confessions

>He's a closet homosexual
Kek

and Se7en obviously. also The Game, Insomnia, Memento, Phone Booth, One Hour Photo, Frailty

>zodiac
>gone girl
>social network
>se7en
>memento
>one hour photo

have seen all of these. a few of them are by fincher and i see that he likes to direct somewhat unconventional thrillers.
will check out the rest.

ty for the recommendations anons

Miller's Crossing is probably the best Coen Bros. movie.

couldnt believe it took me so long to watch this one. had me up for a couple nights. was very pleasantly surprised to say the least

Mystic River