No killing?

I'm confused. Does Moon Knight kill people? I know everyone goes on and on about how he's "Marvel's Batman" but does he share that same no-kill code that Bruce has? I know I saw him carve his arch-nemesis' face off but was that just a one-off? Does it depend on which personality has taken over? Has he ever overtly said he doesn't kill people?

He's killed before, but usually holds off. Can't have people fearing khonshu if they're dead

He's killed people before. He's trying to be better than who he was. Sometimes that's not good enough.

Moon Knight has no qualms about killing, its just that often he finds it better to leave the guy alive so he can tell his buddies what happened. If the costume wasnt a dead giveaway, Marc wants people to see him coming

Wait, I thought he became Jake again?
Or is he just Mr. Knight or whatever
did he go back to normal
I've basically been under a rock for a while since those issues involving the demon monster under the child's bed praising Khonsu came out.

He was a killer before he even became Moon Knight, and he has no problems with killing but sometimes he doesn't and sometimes he does

It varies, because the point of Moon Knight is that Khonshu is varied and ever-changing like the phases of the moon.

Also, Marc is batshit.

What I don't understand is why so many writers put him in adversial relationship with Khonshu. Warren Ellis was one of the rare exceptions, but immediately after him the next writer made Khonshu complicit in some really bad things.

It's like they can't comprehend the idea of - you know - having faith in a god.

it's not quite finished yet.

All Khonshu cares about as a deity is his name being recognized, he's an amoral god....which, occasionally is at odds with Marc's own agendas which Khonshu doesn't care about

Not all deities are fairy tales meant to pacify scared children.
The concept of a purely good god is a relatively rare thing in the world's theologies.

I'm not saying that Khonshu is inherently good, I'm saying there's no reason for them to be at odds.

Why not? Half the Greek myths were about mortals butting heads with the gods.

If I was the favored son of a God, I'd have no reason to ever be upset with him. God lavishes blessings upon his favored mortals, and in return that favored mortal goes forth and glorifies his name and performs mighty deeds.

Moon Knight already does that.

>faith in a god

newsflash: faith is the exact opposite of knowing

The point of having faith is that when you have faith, you need nothing else. If God gave me super strength for worshipping him, I'd be the most devout follower ever.

I mean, Khonshu actively tries to slash and burn anything which Marc still clings to as his so called "life" in order to have him be the singular minded avatar of Khonshu. There really aren't many perks to going 100% Khonshu besides power which considering Marc is actually a good person, isn't as important as meting out justice as he sees fit according to the situation instead of just killing them all. And he still has people he actually cares about to stick around for.

Khonshu is a really fucked up god though and he'd just have you murder criminals pretty indiscriminately, like a parody of the punisher or something. And he wouldn't let you have anything else other than just doing that. No friends, no family no hobbies no nothing.

The thing is that Marc HAS nothing. He has no friends, he has no family, he's probably more than a little mad. He's driven away all his friends by the time of the Warren Ellis Moon Knight. Even Frenchie says that it's Marc's nature to be alone because everyone who gets close ends up dying.

He struggles with it. He wants to be a good person, a hero, but he's killed plenty of people in his past (the military, mercenary work) and he sometimes has to fight against what could be considered his "nature". If he's left with no other option, he absolutely will kill a person - I think the most recent example of him out-and-out murdering a guy would probably be when he pushed the Black Spectre off a building
It's not easy to be a nice guy when you've got a bloodthirsty god yammering in your ear telling you to kill people all the time

That's just the writers amping up the stakes by making it seem like it's going to be hard to get any of that stuff back. Look at the current ongoing, it has all of Marc's most important supporting cast. What's important about Marc as a character is that no matter how much they're taken away he will always want to have meaningful and fulfilling relationships with the people he cares about when they're usually being held just out of reach by Khonshu in order to manipulate him.

The most recent story isn't a good example, because the entire ongoing is taking place in Marc's head.

Like, you literally see him subsume his alternate personas. This is clearly not something that is physically happening, it's all allegorical.

Marvel does good allegory.

I guess i shoukd have made it more clear but that's what i was talking about; the fact that they're still so integral to him to be a part of his psyche like that. He's always wanted to find a way to make it work with them and they won't be leaving his stories any time soon.

When was the last time he was mainstream?
I remember that he was an Avenger for like five seconds...

They're trying to reestablish him for newbies since the Ellis run, and he'll probably have his own show or something soon. I think for the time being they've relegated him to his own little pocket of the MU until further notice, or at least until he completes whatever metamorphosis he's supposedly undergoing right now.

While I agree that the average writer doesn't represent theological subtlety very well, (choosing instead to rely on pop culture) in this case the complaint isn't really that warranted. Khonshu's a freaky moon god, he's supposed to have that pagan feel of something old, primal, mysterious, and not necessarily benevolent.

I thought Black Panther was Marvel's Batman.

No company does squat. They hired a writer and an artist.

Out of all the characters who get called "Marvel's Batman", usually Iron Man or Daredevil, Moon Knight fits the bill the easiest

>super rich alter ego
>street level bruiser
>also arms himself with tech like shurikens, radar, and other crap
>has a night themed alias
>models most of his shit after this alias, like having moon based vehicles

There are enough differences between them character wise for them to be totally different, but going by superficial comparisons it's easy to compare them

T'Challa is the "enough prep time = win" version of Batman.
Moonie here is the street-level blood-covered fists Batman who belongs in a nuthouse.

You're really wrong there.
First off, Marvel has a corporate culture that began as a hippie pothead artist's commune for anti-establishment subversion.
Some of that's still around, and don't think that doesn't change the final product.
And as for "just" hiring the creative team, there's also the work environment, the editorial influence, the ability and will to allow creative experimentation, and even the legal leeway that allows for creative control to shift between the different talent they bring in.
All of that is missed when it's not there, and it takes effort too.

Hahaha, nah he is one of Marvel's batman, he is white batman, there's red batman, black batman, black batman from alternative universe and I'm sure I'm missing one or two more.

Haha no, Marvel was never anti establishment, it was always about trying to be attractive to new movements between the teens, pretty much trying to go with the fads. Marvel has always been a bunch of Jews trying to make money and nothing more

>Marvel has always been a bunch of Jews trying to make money and nothing more

How is this different than DC? Superman himself is a metaphor for being a Jew

I've been wondering that myself. Violent stabby-stab 00s Moon Knight was my introduction to the character and I decided to read all reading his comics from the beginning last month: The early issues REGULARLY had arcs & scenarios that emphasized a no-kill rule, total opposite to what I expected.
Ironically enough, his 90s series is the only volume I haven't read yet (I browsed zak-site just as I was about to start, went full OCD and am now up to my neck in Franklin Richards comics...), and it's the most likely place for a clear paradigm shift. The final issue of Moon Knight pre-90s was an emotionally draining affair that ended as pictured; it's like he finally cracks after a decade of doing 'the right thing', which sets the tone for the general attitude of 90s comics quite nicely. I'd think/hope it's not incidental and Marc Spector: Moon Knight features a decidedly meaner character.

>Superman himself is a metaphor for being a Jew

I love casuals.

Why can't you stop repeating the bullshit you read on the internet?

He was created by a Jew

So Moon Knight is Raiden?

except that even a cursory look at the Wikipedia page would show you that Konshu is far more than a god of vengeance and madness, he was actually far more known as god healing (even outside of Egypt), he was also God of time, and a cannibal (ok I admit it this one is pretty terrible too), so being his avatar would mean much more than just beating criminals up senseless.

>hey i've always wanted to know more about moon knight he seems cool
after reading through these comments i am now more confused

What makes you think Marvel's Khonshu is anything like the real world one? Since when do any Marvel gods behave like their real world counterparts

yeah thors hammer wasn't exclusively for the pure of heart or whatever it was just heavy as shit

>What makes you think Marvel's Khonshu is anything like the real world one?
Ellis

>one writer trying to unfuck another writer's dumb continuity = a fictional interpretation of a mythological deity that barely has any appearances functions exactly like his real world counterpart
The way Khonshu works fluctuates from series to series. In the Moench/Sienkiewicz series Khonshu is nothing but a cool statue that Marc keeps around, then in the Fist of Khonshu series he's more like a sort of helpful god (gives Marc ancient gear and magic powers then fucks off), and his most modern interpretation which started with the Huston series, is skeleton bird asshole who is constantly against whatever stance Marc currently has for no reason.

Ellis Khonshu took a backseat in the stories and was basically Marc's "superpower" when gadgets and martial arts didn't work. In my opinion at least, this is the perfect place for Khonshu to be. Marc's major connection to the supernatural that makes him more then just "Batman but white". But now, the current series has Khonshu back to " asshole for no reason" with him apparently needing a physical body for an unexplained reason then immediately fucking off after Marc kills himself (but not really).

>tl;dr

Khonshu functions however the writer feels like and Ellis' explanation only existed to fix Bendis' dumb "Wolverine and Spider-Man live in Marc's head" bullshit.

The new series is really good. The last one was more observing Moon Knight, not dealing with his psyche. The new one deals with ALL his personalities but better than I've seen in the other books. So a different times he is Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley who all don the Moon Knight mask and there's a 4th Moon Knight personality (who is literally a solider fighting on the moon)

>Not all deities are fairy tales meant to pacify scared children.
>The concept of a purely good god is a relatively rare thing in the world's theologies.

Especially Egyptian theology. they mostly cared about themselves and their name

Hell, in some series it's left ambiguous whether Khonshu is real, or is really with Marc. He does nothing but be another voice in Marc's head full of voices.

>But now, the current series has Khonshu back to " asshole for no reason" with him apparently needing a physical body for an unexplained reason then immediately fucking off after Marc kills himself (but not really).
Maybe this Konshu isn't real and it's just all in Marc head.

>Marvel's Batman
These people are idiots and the arcs in which this is true are by far the worse in the character's history.

Kinda hard when a part of your conscious mind is permanently fused to it unless you use something to blur it out.

I know right?
Panther is Marvel's Batman.

He has literally the exact same skillset as Batman, the guy even has moonerangs

And the wealth. And the street smarts. And the mastery of disguise.

Pretty sure this has long been disproven senpai.
Unless you take a Great American Novel ONLY MOON KNIGHT COMICS ARE CANON approach. Maybe.

say what you will, dressing up as spiderman to fight strippers is funny

give it a read, it makes more sense in context

Fuck

Moon Knight Cyborg arc when?