Watch Good Time

>watch Good Time
>google it
>New York actually exists
Jesus Christ, someone should nuke that place!

>second most liberal state in the US
>everyone is an asshole
Checks out.

Notice how the white people are degenerate and the innocent victims are POC? Makes me think.

Why were there nazi frogs in this kino?

the directors apparently post here.

>The only thing I know about NYC comes from movies
>I've never left my flyover state
kys, fatty

Sell me on this movie, what is it about?

>white

But seriously how much would a 20oz sprite bottle full of liquid acid be worth? I kinda gasped when he wasted so much on the captain now.

A charming, forceful mook gets his brother locked up and hatches plans to get him back which go awry. It's very blunt, direct, but w/ nuanced acting, intensity, some comfiness and humor.

It's a generic "24 hours to get something done" crime film on paper that relies heavily on contrivances to make the story work. But the characters are so authentically "New York scum" and the social commentary is very limited (it's there, but only if you try to look for it). Photography is brilliant, music is a real highlight and really hearkens back to movies like Thief. I was very entertained by it and when it was done I thought about it for the rest of the day.

+Acting (Robert Pattinson reached the next level)
+Characters were realistic
+Music
+Locations and photography
+Most of the dialogue

-Story
-Last fifteen minutes happen almost too abruptly
-Some characters just disappear and are never heard from again

Shitty people with shitty lives have a bunch of shitty things happen to them for 90 minutes then the film ends with them still being shitty people with shitty lives. Pure kino.

>20oz sprite bottle full of liquid acid
a normal dose of LSD is about 100 micrograms. 10 mil of LSD would be something like 100,000 of these doses

>-Some characters just disappear and are never heard from again
It's Connie's subjective POV, so if they're not there, they don't exist.

Of course I understand that but I wish JJL and the little black jailbait were around a bit longer.

Wow you just described most every crime, noir and thriller.

Is there a rip anywhere? I meant to see it in theaters but I ended up missing it

20oz is 590ml, so it's 5,900,000 doses, consider 10$ a dose, so it's worth 59 milion.

leaked yesterday.

AT LEAST YOU CAN TALK, WHO ARE YOU?

Wew lad. Dosing Barkdi cost like 15 million dollars.

and it wasn;t even worth it because they found them at Barkhad's apartment anyway. also why the fuck does a security guard have the ability to rent a high rise in Brooklyn? the most unrealistic thing about a movie full of unrealistic scenarios.

So there's LSD in it? Does it have lots of psychedelic imagery?

Not at all.

I assumed it was a project/low income housing. The apartment, though nicely furnished (for 1989) was relatively tiny as the hallway showed like 6 packed into the corner of the floor.

Yeah, i suspended some disbelief but some things were a little on the nose. Or a little too neatly cinematic, like the acid being randomly and quickly hidden in a sex themed spoopy ride.

>(for 1989)
Wat do you mean by this? The black jailbait uses Facetime.

>+Acting (Robert Pattinson reached the next level)
He was good in Rover, unrecognizable in The Lost City of Z. Been hoping good roles for this guy.

The Captain Now's home, at least the cabinet and some furnishings were classic late 80s aesthetics.

Yeah, Cosmopolis is also a good performance, and Maps to the Stars as well (the movie was bad though). Him and Kristen Stewart have really surprised me in the last few years, both are picking very interesting projects and showcasing their abilities.

Are you suggesting that everyone in new york is not an asshole?

>(the movie was bad though)

The scene where that one guy's telling Pattinson his story about the LSD is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Perfectly delivery.

Cronenberg clearly had some ideas for it but he just didn't know how to execute them without making it just a very awkward and sickening experience. It's one of his worst.

Agreed, he sounded like so many obnoxious loud assholes I've met over the years. I think he was the best-cast out of everyone.

>no sugar mommy gf

>Kristen Stewart
Personal Shopper was suprisingly good, all though it fell a little apart in the third act.

>sugar mommy
she was living with her 60+ mommy in Manhattan dreaming of vacations she get daddy to pay for. She was honestly more pathetic than Pattinson's character.

This character was actually based on the average Sup Forums poster

I actually really liked the story, even though its pretty simple.
It was interesting how their brotherly love was portrayed as unhealthy at times.

I think that was the only way it was portrayed. He loved his brother obviously and thought he was doing what was best for him but he was wrong and ended up ruining his own life over it. At least he learns his lesson at the end. I didn't hate the story I just think it required so much suspension of disbelief to work. I say this as someone with no real writing talent though.

It's an experiment to see if it's possible to release true kino in 2017. It was a success

Pattinson has had a fucking amazing filmography post Twilight.
He's so rich from his Twilight days that he just seeks out indie films with low budgets that allow him a lot of emotional depth

Yeah he really played smart with his career. Could have burned out like other young-actors like Efron and make dumb schlock into his 30s (he probably could have gone down a similar path to Pattinson).

It's jarring to me to see complaints about it being "unrealistic"
I'm mean I don't know shit about NY, but I'm a slav and a constant observer of such events happening in local news and urban environment
It felt like just one of those news stories filmed

It's not unrealistic. At least not to me, I grew up in BK and sold/did drugs. They did well to eschew guns, would have cheapened it.

>about it being "unrealistic"
The problem is just certain things which take me out of the movie, like there being one sleepy cop outside a prisoner's room, and taking his sweet time at the vending machine. You better believe as soon as he returned and saw the bed with a violent offender empty the hospital would have been locked down. Also the news happening to be on at the perfect time for Connie to see his mugshot multiple times. Things like that are scattered throughout to remind you that this is a movie.

but it is a movie

Of course, but minimizing contrivances couldn't be that hard could it?

josh safdie posted a pic of himself in a good time thread last night

>like there being one sleepy cop outside a prisoner's room, and taking his sweet time at the vending machine. You better believe as soon as he returned and saw the bed with a violent offender empty the hospital would have been locked down.

He wasnt exactly Hannibal Lecter, and hospitals are enormous and prone to human error like everything else. Since he wasnt a serious threat, it might not have been that intense right away. Yeah, Connie saw himself on the news that one time, but at least the second time he had to wait a few minutes. It was a big story. I agree there were some confluences certainly, but not nearly as bad as most movies.

This one right? Is he a Trump supporter or just being ironic?

That Iggy Pop song at the end was fucking GOAT

I didn't see Maps but Cosmopolis was practically unwatchable imo. I don't know what happened to Cronenberg. I wish he would go back to horror (or even action) and stop with these post modern gab fests that feel like 2 hours of The Architect from The Matrix verbal dumpage.

Yeah it is. I'd heard it a bunch on Spotify before seeing it, but in context it's really beautiful. The score, while generally very good, was sometimes a little much or at odds with the action.

it's used well to maintain tension, movie is all about that
Everything like exclusively close-up photography or Lopatin's soundtrack works towards it along with the script

This was actually a good ass film.Best movie so far this year

Cosmopolis was very good, DeLillo is too deep 4 you bud.

DeLillo is a good writer, but Cronenberg's gab fest adaptation sucked.

I think he genuinely enjoys Sup Forums and goes on it

>paki terrorist unironically wearing a hat with the word "meme" on it is your average Sup Forums browser

Absolutely checks out

>this guy
>michael bay
>adam wingard
>josh trank
>ana lily amirpour
>joachim trier
are there any other directors that confirmed for actually browsing this site?

>unironically
I'm not sure you understand this word

explain to me how you wear something ironically

watch me

the part where he goes to the hospital to break his brother out
first of all you can't just walk in to any part of the hospital, there are restricted areas that require pass keys to get through certain doors
so I call bullshit

This is true kino, the music is amazing too. It really gives you an uneasy feeling sometimes and that's part of what's so great about it.

It's one of those movies I was very glad to have watched, unlike that American Made which upset me because it wasted my time.

Maybe it's a super cheap hospital that doesn't have those precautionary measures?

looked like a regular hospital to me

this is true and it isn't at the same time. yes hospitals have security, but walk with purpose and confidence and people don't question you.

was the opening shot of this the opening building from the dark knight?

I thought of that as well, it was oddly similiar

one of /ourguys/
probably browses atleast Sup Forums and maybe Sup Forums

They aren't, they're just busy all the time.
ie: the city that never sleeps.

Just because there are more places to buy beer at 3AM doesn't mean it never sleeps.

was he jerking off the dog? I was confused.

I'm starting to think that the whole of america is just a meme and it doesn't actually exist.

what pther explanation can there be? caitlin jenner? c'mon man that shit can't be real.

It's for braindead retards.

If mallick releases films, then these are poop.

>a megalopolis exists
wow really makes you think

ENGILSH SUBTITLES WHEN?

yo josh you there?

What did he mean by this?

I just started reading White Noise less than a week ago and it feels like it's been ages since I've enjoyed a showcase of writing this much. Where do I go from here?

Was it autism?

bump

cool posters at least.

I moved to Manhattan back in january. Everyone is actually really nice. I don't know where this whole surly new yorker thing comes from.

Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx. What do you do for work? How can you afford this place?

I work for a small production company in chelsea and live in west village. I can afford this place cause I live with my girlfriend.

Just finished White Noise myself. Excellent novel that really makes you think about the modern world, it's technological trappings, and our relationship to them.

even still, having an apartment in Manhattan is a fucking arm and a leg. A one bedroom in Brooklyn is at least a grand and that's a shoebox. You must live with other people, right? I commute to the city from Jersey and while I have a lot of space rent isn't cheap.

>live with other people
besides your girlfriend, I mean

Yuppie

No, just us two. Its 2200 for our place, roughly 1000 square foot. We got a deal because no one had rented out that place in a while and they were looking to sell the building, so they cut us a deal to make the place looked more "lived in" for potential buyers.

>Its 2200 for our place
for FUCK'S SAKE! what's included with that? is there a washer and dryer at least?!

Watched this last night, /ourguy/ Robert Pattinson did it again.
Pure KINO

Yeah, in the bedroom. The only downside is its first floor and we have waterbugs on occasion because its first floor.

ok a washer and dryer is a luxury, and you probably have more than one bedroom, but 2200 a month is making my asshole clench. what do you use for all the space?