Is Shawshank Redemption overrated?

yes. not even kino, just an average watch. same with those awful dark knight films. why do normies have such bland taste?

If you have to ask if a movie is overrated, it's not overrated. More people like the movie than dislike it, meaning it's a good movie.

Maybe a little, but it is still the best remake of all time.

Prison movies are weird. The films always try and portray the prisoners as heroes and the guards as evil, while ignoring that the prisoners are all murderers and rapists.

>person goes to prison for robbery
>lands in crooked facility
>treated like absolute crap by the guards
>beaten and humiliated
>guards clearly taking advantage of the fact that these people are jailed and cannot complain about their situation

The Great Escape > Shawshank
It was good but I don't get why it's elevated to that level.

nah. it's a top tier movie. Maybe not 10/10 but still

>The films always try and portray the prisoners as heroes and the guards as evil, while ignoring that the prisoners are all murderers and rapists.

That's part of the plot though, unlike most. The protagonist is literally innocent and is sentenced by a shitty judge to be in a corrupt prison in which the guards can get away with their brutal punishment methods and prisoners can get away with shit unless, as we see in the movie, it interferes with the warden's schemes.

The other prisoners are never portrayed as good people, it's the prisoners who claim their own innocence (apart from Red). They only come off as good because they're a group of friends interacting with each other, same as any group of friends in prison regardless of what crimes they did.

Kind of. I definitely wouldn't call it the greatest movie of all time but it succeeds in what it sets out to do and there isn't objectively anything wrong with it, so I think it's worthy of the praise it gets.

so overrated that it has become underrated. fantastic movie

calm down razorfist

>isn't anything objectively wrong

Objectively, it's way over the top and cheesy. So much of why people talk about this movie is just "muh Morgan Freeman voiceover." There's nothing special about the movie other than the way it makes you feel when you watch it at 13 yrs old.

But the Morgan Freeman v/o wasn't a cliche in 1994.

I still love it. Funny that I saw this back in 1995 or so on VHS when it was the more underrated of the Best Picture nominations that year. Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction were WAY more hyped up.

i always thought them being in the prison for 20 years and not aging visibly at all was kinda lame

Not sure if you're trolling, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a remake, unless someone had already done an earlier adaptation of Stephen King's "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption."

It wasn't even one of his older stories at the time.

Probably means Escape from Alcatraz. Watch it with a pen and pad. blatant lifts.

Very.

It's scope exceeds it's grasp in terms of characters

Ah, I follow. Alcatraz is a fantastic movie, too, but whatever beats Shawshank might have lifted, the story explores entirely different themes.

I agree, Shawshank is the better film, but I don't think it would exist without EfA. Check the dates. King loves his movies.

who

if it's a remake because it borrows elements, then everything is a remake.

> innocent

I always thought the film was ambivalent about his innocence, which was one of my favorite parts about it.

Have you forgotten about the entire subplot about the new inmate knowing the actual killer and then getting murdered by the warden so that Andy can't get released?

but none of that was proven. The inmate could likely have been spicing up a somewhat similar story in order to please his beloved mentor, and Andy was definitely desperate enough to believe anything.

*tips tin-foil hat*

It's about a nigger getting out of prison and whitey teaching him how to live : the movie.