Helm's deep or Pelennor fields? Best battle?

Serious question

Motivate your answer

During the whole of Helm's Deep I was on the edge of my seat. I still am. After years of rewatching it still is suspensful. The action is top notch and the desperation and hum an element played up makes for a cinematic knock-out punch. While Pellinor Fields in retrospect suffers from what Peter Jackson's good (but heavily flawed) King Kong remake did....excess and ego driven waste.

It is too big and too long. It starts out suspensful but it feels like less is at stake because we never connect with the people of Mina's Tirth. The plight of those in Helm's Deep is like a shot to the gut but we never get to really see the people of Mina's Tirth except when Faramir goes off to "die." That's it. And it is SO LONG. It just doesn't gel nearly as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iYRi-Hbi2Sg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2 is the better movie in general, and the charge wiping out the enemy army was at least set up and made sense instead of just being magic green guys

Helm's Deep. Because i liked it more. Perfectly spaced to form it's own story.

>best battle overall
Helm's Deep by far. More tension, less silly Deus ex Machina. And at least in the movie, there was much more tension.

>Best moment
Charge of the Rohirrim. This is with out a doubt one of the greatest 5 minutes in cinematic history. It still stirs up emotions in me to this day.

Helms deep has everything. Dark Atmosphere. Desperate defense. Awesome fortress. I love seeing the women and children in the caves and the young men being pulled out to fight. The Uruks-hai were truly terrifying. Their armor was perfect and you know these killing machines would cut down everything and have a gruesome feast after
It's my favorite battle to watch and the best in all 6 middle earth films

The Battle of the Five Armies :^)

In all seriousness it's completely shit because it's not really a battle scene. It's just the main characters talking while CGI mannequins rub against each other in the background.

There are a couple of cool few second long sequences though.

>tfw they were filming a practical battle scene
>in the middle of shooting Jackson had a breakdown and just cancelled the shoot, fired all the extras on the spot and decided to CGI it later

>good guys are about to lose but an external force comes in to wipe out the villains

both battles are shit.

Someone did the numbers on this a few threads back. The Battle of the Five armies has something like seven times less battle footage than Helm's Deep or Pelennor Fields despite being about three times as long.

Helm's Deep had the better stirring speech leading up to the finale and charge. Hell, I defy any moment in the entire film trilogy to compare to Theoden's fell deeds line and his suicidal charge into the heart of the Uruk-hai.

>So much death... what can Men do against such reckless hate?
>>Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them.
>For death and glory?
>>For Rohan. For your people.
>Yes...yes! The Horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep...one last time!
>Let this be the hour when we draw swords together!
>Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin and the red dawn!
>>BARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM
>FORTH EORLINGAS! CHARGE!

The Charge of the Rohirrim beats out any single moment in either battle
But Minis Tirith took too long and Legolas flipping around was even more stupid than his shield surfing. And the ghost army is lame

You didn't even ask a question you fucking retard

And since there's like 8 charges of the Rohirrim in these movies I mean the one in Return of the King
>A SWORD-DAY! A RED DAY! ERE THE SUN RISEEEEEES!!!

Helm's Deep.

Pelennor Fields was a great battle, but nothing can compare to the dark atmosphere and sense of impending dread of Helm's deep.

Also Gandalf's charge with the Rohirim and Sam's speech is a much more satisfying conclusion than the arrival of the ghost army.

Honestly, I found Eomer's charge in Two Towers to be more emotional.
>Theoden, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli all surrounded and about to die firing off one final desperate gambit into the heart of the Uruk-hai
>Gandalf appears with the first rays of dawn overlooking the battle
>"Theoden-King stands alone."
>>"Not alone. Rohirrim!"
>Rohirrim riders step into view
>>"To the King!"
>Riders flood the valley with the light of dawn at their backs blinding the Orcs. The seminal moment in the trilogy when Man stands up and begins to fight back

Some good taste in this thread

Helms Deep easily for me. Perhaps it's just because it's more realistic, I don't know. It's a normal siege but it's done very well.

helm's deep was also intercut with the ents rekking Isengard which was pretty cool

If i remember correctly Andy Serkis was attempting to film some battle sequences with like 5 extras in a shed at one point. God The Hobbit films are abysmal.

I gotta go with pelennor fields. I was big "fan" of war elephants as kid and that scene satisfied my curiosity for "elephant" warfare for decades to come.

Is there even any other movie scenes where elephants are used in war? Yea I know they're not official elephants but whatever. They pass.

>God The Hobbit films are abysmal.
Idk man I think the first one is pretty much LotR tier. The only bad part is the Goblin Town bit.

The first Hobbit was the best, but it's not LOTR-tier.

How the fuck did the uruks lose the battle of Helm's deep?

After the wall was blown up and they started to pour in, it should have been over, right?

They pretty much did win. They slaughtered the elves and men defending the fortress and were only held up by the barricaded door of the keep, which they eventually knocked open.

They got BTFO by Gandalf and the Rohirim showing up.

I actually kinda wish they'd leaned into it being a musical a little more heavily, could've been supremely comfy. As it stands I think it feels like its just doing too much at once, which is odd considering that its stretching 1/3 of a story into a film length narrative.

It is a great moment
To each his own, I suppose
I liked the Witch King razzling Gandalf and busting his staff right before Theodin showed up, going on about Death with a capital D and then the horns drawing it away. And I like Eowyn and Merry in the midst of the charge and they're both scared out of their skulls, but then they also get swept up by Theodin's speech
It just does it for me (also it helps having Eowyn as your middle earth waifu)

Pelennor fields would have been better if jackson had included the grey company rather than have the dead hang around for the battle instead.
Should have included Prince Imrahil and the knights of Dol Amroth since they also counter attacked with a charge when the Rohirrim turned up.

As much as I love the trilogy, I do hope that a true book adaption gets made sometime.

Alexander, they're used briefly
youtube.com/watch?v=iYRi-Hbi2Sg

Well which is worse, legolamb shieldsurfing or oliphantsurfing?
Mumakil charge and DEEEEEATH is th3 shit tho

300, very quickly

>Gondor is going to fall and here is why its ok

i love orcposting

I vote for Oliphant surfing because that effect has not aged well

oliphantsurfing because how he holds onto the rope while holding his shit in the same hand looks awkward as fuck.

Was the Gimli/Legolas comic relief really needed in Helm's deep? It would have been better without that shit

if you cut out all the massive battle scenes except for the parts where important characters die, it would make no difference to the plot and would make the movie significantly shorter

For whatever reason, I really dug the part of the Two Towers where the ents go apeshit.

They're unstoppable. I dig that.

there was no reason for changing so many things about the books
pj is a hack and thanks to the hobbit now everyone knows it

Pelennor purely because of the Rohan charge scene

Two Towers>ROTK

it wasn't that he had a breakdown, it is the fact that he had no idea what he was doing or had any semblance of a plan for the battle. What they were shooting with the actors was essentially "stock fight footage" of people just randomly swinging swords and shit. He decided to halt production so that they could figure out what the fuck they were going to do. Given the break, and having something that slightly resembles a plan, there was no time to create brand new sets, new weapons, armor, costumes, and create stunt and fight choreography.

Smaug makes the second movie tho

What were the most important/biggest changes?

ghost army in the peleonor battle and elves in helms deep
saruman death
the spider in rotk and not ttt
also glorfindel and bombadil

Amon hen

frodo in osgiliath
saruman working for sauron

>Also Gandalf's charge with the Rohirim and Sam's speech is a much more satisfying conclusion than the arrival of the ghost army.

This, the Ghost army was fucking dumb as shit

no elves showed up at helms deep. the army of the dead only scared some corsairs away and aragorn went through the southern regions of gondor and collected men and showed back up to pelennor field with another army. i also must be miss remember ing but i think aragorn retook control of the palantir and used it to bait sauron into thinking he had the one ring. which is why sauron threw everything at the black gate

Theoden in general felt like they found some guy in the streets who happened to actually be Theoden.

>i also must be miss remember ing but i think aragorn retook control of the palantir and used it to bait sauron into thinking he had the one ring.
There was a deleted scene or something similar that had Aragorn using the palantir.

underrated point. OP is self-centered and doesn't know how to listen to others

>being this retarded
is it bait?

why does it matter if it's a practical fight or a CGI fight? it's fake anyways
practical effects aren't more real than CGI

it's the perfect payoff after all the slow-paced ent scenes. plus the dam breaking and all the ents standing against the water while the burning one runs to dunk his head in is hilarious

No, the landscapes are ugly, exposition and flashbacks all suck, they spend 3 hours running from shit, dwarves are annoying cunts, photoshop Saruman sucks, LOTR references hace no payoff.

Goblin town is just the final nail in the fucking coffin

Helms deep simply because the king thinks he's hot shit then basically breaks down and gives up until Aragon tells him to grow a pair
I hate the opening speech he gives on the horse in the fields then goes and dulls his sword smacking all the spears
>raaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhh

>RRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWHHHHH
>AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

chills

Patrician detected. The real best battle. Best comical moment in the movies as well with the tree on fire dunking his head into the rushing water

Elephants>No Elephants
Cavalry plays important role during the actual fight>Cavalry deus ex machina
Civies getting murdered to build tension>civied cowering in caves begging not to get merced

you are a dumbass

I prefer arrival and charge of the Rohirrim at Pelenor more than Helm's Deep but the rest of Pelenor Fields and the Siege of Minas Tirith is all over the place so I'll have to go with Helm's Deep.

>what that music starts playing

NOW FOR WRATH
NOW FOR RUIN

the olyphant horn alone is better than all helms deep

>hate the opening speech

how

Theoden always struck me as caring more about honour and a good death than protecting his people, which I can dig.

I haven't watched the EE in awhile, how much did they add to both battle sequences? I remember some added shots in Pelennor looking pretty funky and they also show Gothmog getting killed

In that scene he had given up hope, a good death was all he could ask for. Remember he doesn't know/believe gandalf is coming

Some good taste here. Helm's Deep is arguably a movie within a movie. Everything is done extremely well, costumes, set design, acting, music, cinematography. Everything's on point as hell. Probably the best ever fantasy on the big screen.

As a 13 year old seeing the two towers in the theatres I was mad that the elves showed up because they didn't in the book.

Also when they rode out and pushed all the orcs aside I laughed, they made it look a bit silly.

I guess I also like Pelennors field more because it was brighter and made more sense when it came to location and how they won.

The third hobbit movie is a trainwreck start to finish, but the first two had their moments.
The problem with them was in between the good moments (like riddles in the dark, Smaug's speech and boast) they were padded out with drawn out theme-park ride esque sequences and from the second movie onwards a retarded romance subplot.
Like Bilbo finding Gollum was great. It's just a shame that before that we get the mountain giant fight, which was supposed to be just a background thing, the chaotic escape from goblin town during, and immediatly afterwards the wargs and Azog (which for some reason had the nazgul theme in the backghround?) Just like in the second, where immediatly after Smaugs excellent introduction it gets followed up by a ridiculous cat-and-mouse chase through the mountain, making Smaug, who had been hyped up for one and a half movie, look utterly incompetent, with occasional shots back to the little town where for some reason orcs are trying to kill a sick and dying dwarf.

>aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's great because the ents, which were pretty much set on hanging back, see the full extend of what Saruman had done to the forrest. So they unleash the forrests full wrath on him.
>Many of these trees were my friends... creatures i had known from nut or acorn
>They had voices of their own... saruman! a wizard should know better!
>there is no curse in elvish, entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery
>hroom, hm, come, my friends. the ents are going to war. It is likely that we go to our doom
>the last march of the ents
Chills everytime

It's in the extended cut, yeah.

Would you follow Tally-ho Theo to the death?

Orcs should have used more fire arrows n shit.

yeah the surfing was top

>mmm emotional stimulation
>mmm i love this, need to bask in it
>mmm I'm different from fats and drug addicts mmm

>not appreciated a character study flick

Pelennor fields is my favorite. It's not just the battle itself, it's everything around it. The madness of Denethor, Faramir and the knights riding out to Osgiliath, the charge of the Rohirrim, and, of course -

>End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Pelennor fields. I'm not really keen on battle scenes, but I do like a good cavalry charge, and the on in this battle had a lot more OOMPH to it than the one in Helm's Deep.

Helms deep. The darkness, weather and the claustrophobic setting was great. Uruks were also an intimidating foe.

That stupid fucking Legolas skateboarding scene ruined all the tension.

well, you got me there, it would've been perfect without that bullshit. I fucking forgot about that. Fuck, I'm kinda mad now.

and without the elves

>911
fuck now I'm mad too

>goes and dulls his sword smacking all the spears
He smacks them with the flat of the blade you dongus

:^)

incredible how does he move that shield so fast he makes wind strong enough to knock that orc, some kind of magic probably

u r a fag and ur shits all retarded

stop please no more

>a wraith was able to overpower a god
reeeeeeeeeeeee

>It is too big and too long.
That's not what your mother said last night.

They're laughing in the face of imminent death, revelling in their newly found camaraderie and friendship. It's top tier gallows humour kino.

At least it looked cool.

>ywn see the March of the Ents in a movie theater, with the music blasting

What's you point, ADD kid?

>being so much of a small-souled bugman that you don't feel the deep-seated instinctual need to battle from hearing that speech
There's no point to you procreating or continuing to live. KYS and save humanity from wasting its resources on you.

>Pelennor fields
not a single field.

HACK son

He didn't just want a good death. He wanted to give his people one last chance of surviving.

He's probably one of the best fantasy kings.

I actually like how he uses the shield as a blunt weapon.

>take them head on
Why not flank them and kill the riders?