THE BIZARRE HOLLYWOOD PHENOMENON OF “TWIN FILMS”

>“Twin films” is the term used to describe a peculiar Hollywood phenomenon that just about every year sees different major studios releasing movies with almost identical plots and themes to their competitors current offerings. Popular examples of twin films include Deep Impact and Armageddon, two films released within weeks of one another that centred around saving the world from a giant meteor. Other popular examples include A Bug’s Life and Antz – animated films about ants rebelling against their hive. Then there’s Dante’s Inferno and Volcano – both of which are disaster films about volcanic eruptions. (As an idea of how common this is in Hollywood, all of these films were released between 1997 and 1998.)

>It turns out there are a variety of things that may result in a twin film, with everything from corporate espionage to pure coincidence coming into play.

todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/10/bizarre-hollywood-phenomenon-twin-films/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j-2fSzqHYx0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>the prestige and The illusionist.
I enjoyed the prestige a lot, but I still think the illusionist is the better film

>I enjoyed the prestige a lot, but I still think the illusionist is the better film
This is the right opinion.

Is this news? We were talking about this on these boards (not /tv obviously, since it wasn't born yet) like a decade ago.

Armageddon was a better film by far

Orville
Star Trek Discovery

Kingsman
Cell
Sammy L. Jackson

I had a geology professor that would flip the fuck out if you told him Volcano was a good movie. Lel it was hilarious. Autistic Scottish man ranting about silica content and cursing Tommy Lee Jones. My second favorite memory from college.

but those two are stylistically and thematically very far apart. They only share superficial plot points.

The whole geology department at my university went as a group to laugh at The Core.

>tfw as a little kid I loved The Core
>tfw my family still makes fun of me for it

Fucking amazing to a little kid, fucking laser that can blow through a fucking mountain

Those two shitty Hercules movies couple of years back.

I think you meant to say "Dante's Peak".

Dark City came out in 98, this came out in 99

>we

you're me

>Then there’s Dante’s Inferno and Volcano
>Dante's Inferno

Fucking moron doesn't even know the movie was called "Dante's Peak".

Who cares? It was forgettable as fuck

>thousands of films get released
>most arent similar
>hundreds are similiar
>dozens share the same story or plots
>three (3) end up being totally similiar, statistically speaking this isnt a shock

>DUDE FAN THEORY. PHENOMENON TWIN MOVIES DUDE LOL SPACESHIPS AND STARS AND SHIEET. CORPORATE ESPIONAGE? ENTANGLEMENT?

Both wrong.
The Matrix's twin was Existenz.

God you're a faggot.

never say never again vs octopussy

Terminator and Robocop

This is as simple as one person working for one company having a "friend" that works for the competition going yeah this is our big thing. Make your own.

Wrong, it was Equilibrium.

Antz and A Bugs Life came out in the same month iirc. Literally the same movie

And sets

literally this, people are retarded

Uh no but the robocop trailer did originally use terminator music which probably is where the confusion is.

>ANtz and A Bug's Life similar
yes and every movie with humans in it is the same movie

White house down and Olympus has fallen is an obvious example too

>t. gender studies major

those films about channing tatum saving the president from the white house being invaded

I didn’t even know they were different films, and I watched one of them in the theatres.

just last year

That movie where two friends fuck eachother and things get weird, either starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis or Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman
youtu.be/j-2fSzqHYx0

Interns are spies planted by other studios to gauge their competition.

but equilibrium is a loose adaptation of Fahrenheit 451, which is far away from the Matrix

were either of these any good? I remember seeing the trailer for the one on the left and it honestly looked like it could either be trash or kino

left honestly is trash, I heard the Christine (right) film is kino

wow, I thought it was the same thing. I legit thought seth mcfarlane was doing a star trek show called Star Trek Discovery but they changed the name to the orville when they found out the acronym.

Not that I give a fuck, actually, but...

Don't you dare!
I saw the scene where the grandma jumps in the acid water to push faster the boat toward the lakeside when I was a kid approximately the age of the proganists and I'll never forget that scene.
It was probably the first time a movie made me cry.
Forgettable my ass, soulless idiot.

prestige is the only nolan film i like how is this possible?

Sleepless was basically a cross between Taken and John Wick, and somehow it learned nothing from either of those movies and was unwatchable.

The Prestige had me until magical tesla cloning machine.

when david bowie is in a movie, you gotta expect some bizarre shit to happen in it.

the Illusionist was bullshit. Sure, it being bullshit was the point, but in the end it was more bullshit than it was supposed to be.

well wasn't that the point though? misleading the audience while it was in fact a sci fi film

Capote and In Cold Blood came out within weeks of each other.

These movies were by the same studio with the same sets, locations, lighting director

I still like Push
fite me

I think they were gonna make a Push tvshow but that went nowhere.

Except the pool is much smaller when you consider only big movies.

If they came out within a few weeks they probably aren't aping off each other.
However Need for Speed (2014) came out a year after Furious 6 which grossed over 700M.

Do Book of Life and Coco still count even if the span of time between them is like 2nyears?

Interstellar
Gravity
probably some other space drama I forgot

I also like Push.

Why would I fight you it's one of my favorite kinomatics.

You're family was right.

This shit is always really creepy, you also see this with some tv shows like Family Guy where they inexplicably stack 2 weeks worth of episodes with the same plot structure and sometimes the exact same subject

I think it does.

>Need For Speed
That doesn't even count at all
Fast & Furious turned into capeshit with cars

>cybernetic cop
>Robot assassin
No

Which volcano movie is the one where some guy literally melts because he falls on some lava? That was funny shit

no country for old men/there will be blood

>Robot
they're cyborgs, stupid
just like robocop

Volcano

what do they have in comon? Also, one is shit and the other a masterpiece

Mirror, Mirror
Snow White and The Huntsman

The first was actually not bad. The second was trash that somehow got a sequel.

>shilling some retarded site that thinks "twin films" is a "bizarre Hollywood phenomenon".
Millennials are retarded.

>one is shit and the other a masterpiece
Good bait 8/10.

>The second was trash that somehow got a sequel.
cause disney made it
also the first one did really well in china

terminator isnt a cyborg ,the only terminator that had a cyborg in it IIRC is 4

I think the point was to show obsession manifested in two people with polar opposite means just the suspension of disbelief requried was too great. How Borden did the trick was clever. How Angier did the trick was an asspull.

Universal made it though.

Is not b8, just how I feel. No country is a meh movie, with a meh plot and an awful ending. If a book is not filmable, dont film it

TWBB is one of the best fucking movies ever made

It's never a coincidence, studios spy on each other all the time and try to make a movie about the same potential cashcow idea but faster than the competition.

in T2 arnie straight up says that he's a cyborg

I also liked, but for different reasons than yours, probably

>actor names dont match up with the faces on the poster
what the fuck man , like why would anyone do this ? its so fucking easy to just switch em .

>just how I feel
Exactly, because you're retarded

I was about to post that, but I googled "cyborg" before and... I was wrong. And you still are wrong.

Movies can have more than one point

whoops. my bad
still did really well in china tho

swn put your 'gun' in her mouth

>Rebecca hall
>Michael c hall

Kek coincidence win

Were they hoping to save on marketing by using the other movie's?

The core was a greatly entertaining movie because it never took itself seriously. It was science fiction on crack. Anything goes.
Still comfy to watch.

killing yourself everyday and stocking your corpses in a basement is a good example of obsession, IMHO

>Pacific Rim and Battleship

>scripts passed around constantly
>movies with similar plots release around the same time
>this is news

he says he is but he isnt , the definitions can get a bit confusing . some define cyborg as an animal with mechatronic implants like the dude from T4.
but if you wanna use the broad definition (a being with both organic and biomechatronic body parts , organic body parts being parts made from organic compounds which is everything with carbon) then literally anything mechatronic with any polymer\steel\alloy with carbon is a cyborg .
by this definition your AC is a cyborg , your car is a cyborg and old computers with dvd\BR drives are cyborgs .

you can see why im using the definition which only includes living creatures and not everything made from organic compounds .

I'm not saying they can't but sneaking a sudden scifi twist in a movie that prior did not have a precedent and becomes a driving force for the 2nd half of the 2nd act. Furthermore, the mcguffin undercuts the reveal because it's no longer a trick nor anything that had a sensible hints sown into the narrative to make the reveal believable. It's also got some logic discrepencies though that's nitpicking.

I never said it didn't portray that in Angiers rather they did so at the expense of the realm of belief where as Borden's character made sacrifices for his craft and they didn't need an asspull to explain anything.

People don't realize that these two movies were true capekino, but marvel killed any chance of ever getting capeshit on that level

>Battleship (2012)
>Pacific Rim (2013)
Nope.

>push and losers both was failed attempts to start a franchise and both star chris evans
>losers have reference to push

>he says he is but he isnt

the definition he uses in the movie is " living tissue over a metal skeleton". which he is.

the losers was such a good movie, everyone should watch it at least once

Wrong

the laziness of this awful abortion of a bait is more infuriating than the actual inaccuracies your post contains

battleship and transformers you absolute idiot.