What's Sup Forums's verdict on this comic...

What's Sup Forums's verdict on this comic? A lot of people who claim to dislike Superman or his modern stories love this one particularly.

I hated it

I regret buying this and I've enjoyed most Superman origin stories

I kind of liked the first issue, but after that it just didn't do it for me. And much like I have enjoyed most of his origin stuff in the past (even Earth One). I wanted to like it because the artists were so good.

It was very expectedly by the numbers. Landis can boast all he wants, but this was cookie-cutter as fuck

Which is not to say it's bad or good. It's very average, nothing we haven't seen, nothing to outright hate.

I remember the ruckus when teen Clark burned that guy's arms off and people went nuts, but that's not even edgy, just expected from someone like Landis

it's super mediocre but got a lot of praise

the book was ok, but watching that one superbro autist freak out every issue was more entertaining

I only just noticed that the cornfield is an S.
I suppose I never really looked at it but still.

It kinda works when listening to the album

I liked it a lot. I like modern Superman too.

Quite possibly the greatest Superman story ever told.

I enjoyed it very much. No particular reason for it. It features the best Supersuit to date.

The Sup Forumsnsensus here is that it's good.

Fuck the Sup Forumsnsensus, or my opinion for that matter. Read it for yourself.

also tfw a one-page back-up story gives you a nihilistic existencial crysis

I can see how it would be interesting to read if the reader hadn't read very many Superman stories. I think the good thing about the comic is that it characterizes Supes as a human being with a distinct origin that can be identified rather than an alien. I took it as a response to the "Superman is just a godlike alien!" comment that people usually make.

As far as the actual writing goes - eh - it's not really that good.

It's a Superman story for millennials that don't actually understand Superman.

It's good, but they basically made Superman Peter Parker for people who don't like Superman.

>it's for people who don't like/don't understand superman

I honestly don't understand the rationale behind this, unless that rationale is just elitism.

It just means the characterization was poor. You're overthinking it.

Its really, really good.

It is MOS done right.

Imagine that you say you don't like a character like he is even though he has a lot of fans, then they start changing things to appeal to the people who don't like the character.

In fact they didn't really like the character, they changed so people could like him. Maybe the character wasn't for them?

How poor?

I honestly don't know what parts you're talking about. I loved American Alien, and I've always been a superfag.

In what way?

It's like if you don't like Big Mac so they changed the beef patties into chicken patties so you would try it and maybe like it

>food analogies
I never said it's a good analogy to begin with

For a guy that hated Man of Steel he wrote something that was the same tone and vibe as Man of Steel yet somehow more boring?

Landis is a talentless nepotism type.

Pretty poor as in using "Superman as a mouthpiece multiple times" poor or "Superman needing to go through edgy traumatic experience to learn a moral lesson poor" or "Superman drinking beers at 16 because it's what teenagers do right" poor or "Superman can party like young adults and be cool and shit" poor?

No, I'm saying that American Alien makes no changes to the core of Superman's character. He's the same guy.

>Superman can party like young adults and be cool and shit

This wouldn't have been bad if it happened in a more logical setting (ie in the 31st century with the LoSH).

Superman's characterization is never to be judged with overall, the sensibilities are in extreme subtleties not in extreme characterization, even fucking Millar understands that. Me being an elitistfag would never actually give two thoughts two a "we're doing the grounded take on Superman and making him human for the 1000th time" take because that's not really Superman but I'd prefer Byrne and JMS over this self indulgent crap.
Landis tries so hard to be a cool dude is another thing that pisses me off. He's all about saying that All Star is the definitive Superman story and referencing that silver age page he saw on Reddit, but he has never picked up a Superman comic that was published pre Byrne in his life and considering that he gets off to Doomsday and Superman being involved in a gorefest, he wouldn't be able to appreciate it either.

>This wouldn't have been bad if it happened in a more logical setting (ie in the 31st century with the LoSH).

this sentence is amazing

I think Landis is a major faggot and I'm a Superman fan but I liked American Alien.

It's not my preferred Superman story or the best one but it was good.

>they basically made Superman Peter Parker
Not really, want Superman as Peter Parker? Read Chuck Austen's Superman run.

Yeah I've always thought about Superman doing that kind of stuff like the everyday stuff except in his own Super way.

You like to play fetch with your dog with a stick? He plays fetch with his super dog throwing a giant steel beam at sound breaking speed and out to orbit.

You take your dog for a walk in the park? he takes his super dog for a fly and to space.

You like to sun bathe on the beach? He likes sunbathing on the moon.

You play with your cat? He plays with a grown ass lion in the wild or a dangerous alien predator in the Fortress.

You take a vacation in another country? he takes it in a planet.

Things like that but he treats them as mundane, because he has the power and invulnerability

I feel Clark as a kid or a teen would crave for some normalcy but at some point he would just enjoy both the mundane and the extraordinary and the latter is in a certain way more preferable for him because he doesn't have to hold back as much.

It was miles better than Man of Steel.

Not that it is hard to be.

Pretty sure he was talking about Byrne's MoS.

He had a party with teenage Cheetah, Green Arrow and what not, while pretending to be Bruce Wayne and fighting Deathstroke.

Not that usual.

It reminded me of Superman: For All Seasons, and I really enjoyed them both. Just some fun character driven short stories.