Was Zimmerman the wrong guy? this OST is pretty average compared to the original film

was Zimmerman the wrong guy? this OST is pretty average compared to the original film

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dwbr9EL0UJM
youtu.be/z_JgOlGq6i4
youtu.be/AvEm3a20Yc4
youtu.be/AehfRmzm0RU
youtube.com/watch?v=z_JgOlGq6i4
youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5Uyk7Qr8
youtube.com/watch?v=WcLzUZSGT6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU
youtu.be/EGxyGcZ5jsY?t=1m3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I agree. I listened to both yesterday and the original was more interesting.

Everything about the film is mediocre overall though.

bait is bait

Ost was rubbish. They should have grown some balls and got Kanye west to do it or something

>not liking sea wall
nigger u wot

sea wall, jerk off instructions and tears in the rain are pretty much the only notable tracks though

Zimmer is a hack

I think Zimmer was the right choice. I think he expanded on Vangelis quite well having listened to the 2049 OST several times already. Otherwise you get a contrived sound like the music for Thor Ragnarok that's pandering to the muh-nostalgia crowd. But to each their own.

>Taking b8
Let me bring you up to speed. Johan Johansson did the original score for 2049, but left the project over creative differences with Villeneuve. Even though the two had successfully worked on scores for Arrival and Sicario. Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch (It 2017) were brought in well into production, hence the half-assed result of heavy bass and overuse of allusions to Vangelis' work.
>TFW we'll likely never hear Johann's compositions.

awesome, now defend your point

>heavy bass
the bass was overdone but isn't the main problem. the tracks just aren't melodic enough, it's far too rustic and grating and just sounds like shit for a vibrant/neon movie

I just wish it had more weirder tracks like this
youtube.com/watch?v=Dwbr9EL0UJM

>OST is pretty average compared to the original film

lol you'd be hard pressed to find any music that's anywhere near the combination of ambient techno and drone that the 2049 ost is. really the only hallmark of zimmer that is present is some of the percussive elements which fit in well anyway. again, just a bunch of meaningless nitpicking

hahahahaha
really?
so we could have months of people complaining about "muslim acceptance propaganda"?

thank god none of you fucks (don't mean (you) personally) have talked about the buddhist chant/percussion elements in 2049

I agree that on its own it isn't the best. I have to say though, paired with the actual film it's pretty nice.
Just nothing really good in it, besides Sea Wall.

This track is pretty great
youtu.be/z_JgOlGq6i4
shook the theater in iMAX

It should have been Cliff Martinez.

Have you seen the Jackie Chan film The Foreigner? The OST is great but out of place - it belongs in the world of 2049.

And get rid of the Elvis shit - holy shit.

'Joi' and 'Seawall' are fantastic

I really want to hear what Johan Johansson did before they brought Zimmer on board, he's not the best but he's way more interesting

johansson wanted a peppy arcade-like neo-80s soundtrack. it didn't fit at all with BR

The purpose of the soundtrack was to support the film, not to be necessarily full of melody or listenable by itself.

I accept that the score is pretty boring by itself. But I think it suited the film well and did its job.

However to me he;s a bit of a hack, he did suprisingly well thanks to it.

He mimics Vangelis well when it's needed, while adding some of his own - overall it resonates with the movie very well, still has similiar vibe to the original, and he adds pathos and ithe unsettling dustrial/ ambient parts to highlight wider spectrum of important events (revolution) that movie reveals and enhances the feeling of further degradation of the world in other moments.

I'm not the fan of song choices though - this is supposed to be future, and Sinatra and so on were already old at the time when original was released. On the other hand, picking today's artist as 'nostalgia picks" for future would be extremely risky and hard to pull off, while Sinatra is all-time classic

Last but not least, he didn't overdo it - movie has really lots of silent, no-music sequences, making the whole experience of soundtrack more meaningful.

So I'm very happy for what he did for the movie. Will it be remembered and listened to as much as the OST of the original thougj? Not a chance.

Maybe its just because he's done so many movies but I find Hans Zimmer pretty boring most of the time. He doesn't really do much electronic music so I don't know why they picked him for BR either. Should have got somebody like this.
youtu.be/AvEm3a20Yc4
youtu.be/AehfRmzm0RU

>Sinatra and so on were already old at the time when original was released
yeah but those songs happened when they were in Vegas so it sort of fit, especially Elvis.

Sure thing! I'm not American though, so by default I'm viewing some of the cultural aspects in differently and there's no other way around for me, really.

Also sorry for spelling/ grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker and I'm on drugs.

>not mesa

Mesa and sea wall tho

Stand out tracks for me.
>Wallace
youtube.com/watch?v=z_JgOlGq6i4
>Joi
youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5Uyk7Qr8
>Mesa
youtube.com/watch?v=WcLzUZSGT6Q
>Sea Wall
youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU

wallace fit that scene so fucking well. made the film worth seeing in the theatre

Tons of better artists out there and honestly Zimmer's name alone has like zero pull factor for normies as they only give a shit when they watch some mainstream tripe like the type Nolan does.
Also Zimmer doesn't create shit, it's merely a name at this point, everything is done by his assistants.

This poster is probably one of the worst marketing decisions desu
So bland and not it saying anything

They had the sound up slightly too loud the vibrations made my insides shake. Can't say it wasn't immersive though.

Who's Zimmerman?

Well, it's blue and orange. That's everything a movie poster needs these days. Cause it tells you everything you need to know about a movie: That it's gonna be blue and orange.

congrats this is the dumbest thing ive ever read on Sup Forums

Part of why I find its commercial failure bittersweet is because it'll never receive the contrarian crucifixion it would've gotten had it made a billion.

george zimmerman

He was the right guy at the right time.

A lot of the tracks are decent but forgettable. A few like Sea Wall are good. But we're also comparing it to BR, and Vangelis's OST which is top-tier, so the standards are high here.

The overall issue I had is that it mostly just sounds like typical Zimmer blaring bombastic stuff, but with a few synth notes peppered in to make you say "oh yea, this is supposed to be blade runner music".

This. They started scoring like 3 weeks before release date.

Opening song of Blade Runner is incredible.
Then 2049 is many times times than the rest. NO saxophones thank god.

>hating on saxophones
kys cuckfaggot

I normally really dislike Hans Zimmer's music but I loved this OST and was very surprised at the end to see that it was him. So no. I think he did a great job.

I wish they kept Johannson.

All the soundtrack was was typical Zimmer BWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH bullshit.

Fuck I know. He legitimately doesn't know how to read music.

What he does is hums a melody (so I guess just a loud sigh nowadays?) then gets his assistants to do all the hard work of arranging it and he just gives it a yes or a no.

Yes, my impression too. Mediocre overall.

Honestly, the soundtrack works really well within the context of the movie but really sucks on its own.

not that bad a suggestion considering kanye's favourite movie is akira and he references the OST sometimes.

I honestly have faith that Kanye could do a good job with it.

**MOTORCYCLE BRRRRAAAAAP**
youtu.be/EGxyGcZ5jsY?t=1m3s

Villeneuve thought Johansson would make the soundtrack very similar to the Vangelis soundtrack (and he isn't entirely wrong) so they changed him.

Will we ever get a directors cut with the original version of the soundtrack?