What happened?

The real question is why star trek ship design is so awful in generation. The defiant is the only passable looking federation ship.

Undisputed best ship coming through.

it doesn't need to be pretty if it can cloak.

they hired a cloned jony ive as their designer

>t. star wars fan

So the engines were shaped that way with green energy running through it just for aesthetics?

Producers and production designers that have no respect

i dont like how DS9 fags think they speak objective truths when they dont even like star trek

Wrong

NCC-1701 refit is the best ship overall

>Exposed warp drive engines
>literally just a big "shoot me here" sign

Why the hell did they get rid of the round orange ends and replace it with this shit? At least the new movie restored it with a blue swirly one.

What?

Because they developed better engines.
>at least the new movies restored it
Do you even know what you're saying?

The round orange ends were awful. The Enterprise refit was way better in every way.

It was a different time.

Dedrex is top of the line lexus of battle cruisers.

I have no idea why they wouldn't use the Warbird

>d'deridex

Is there ever any reason in the show that the Klingon's have this as their mainship? I heard it was originally designed to be Romulan.

The Klingons are pretty primitive in most regards, did some Romulans land on the Klingon homeworld and get their ship stolen?

It's not their main ship. The B'Rel class is just small, cheap, and easy to produce. The Battlegroups in Star Trek are loosely based on carrier battle groups today. The B'Rel really just supports the heavier battle cruisers.

>7 years

>Romulan Bird of Prey, Discovery-era

Star Trek shields are magic.

One of my bigger complaints about the show is that they show the hull taking serious hits with the shields down. Logically just one photon torpedo should be enough to destroy an unshielded ship; the things have multimegaton antimatter warheads, for fuck's sake.

The IRL reason is they didn't have the money to build a new Klingon ship model for the early TNG seasons, so they just made the BoP look hueg instead. After the Vor'cha model got built the BoPs went back to being dinky again.

It really makes no sense to have ships that look so similar be vastly different sizes, so I like to pretend the monster BoPs were really Vor'cha all along. Anyone know what the remastered eps did with them?

>Thinking aerodynamics matter in ships designed for space
There's a reason why the most intimidating craft in the galaxy is a cube.

I dunno, you don't want to hit asteroids and such, not to mention it presents a smaller target than a cube would in battles.

It matters if you want to land it, or survive more than a few seconds if the navigational deflector fails.

>Anyone know what the remastered eps did with them?
Kept everything the same

In TOS the Bird of Prey was a Romulan ship exclusively. In the early drafts of the script for Star Trek III, Kruge captured a Bird of Prey from the Romulans. This was dropped during rewrites but the ship retained its name and look for some unexplained reason. Subsequent movies and series show the Klingons using the Bird of Prey as well.

There is a throwaway line in one TOS episode about a Romulan-Klingon alliance (ironically, this was used as an excuse for the Romulans using Klingon ships in that episode). So, the in-universe explanation for the Klingon Birds of Prey is that the Klingons exchanged design information with the Romulans at some point.

Everyone knows spaceships are built on ground

If their shields can brush off hits from multimegaton antimatter warheads they can also survive crash landings through any atmospheres.

An ideal ship is some sort of polyhedron so that guns and thrusters can be mounted in many directions, and preferably a regular one so that personnel and equipment can be moved around efficiently.

DELET THIS

That's disappointing. It would've been cool to see a new intermediate Klingon ship design in Yesterday's Enterprise.

WTF?
I could tell them how to do their jobs better but really couldn't be fucked when instead I could have sex muh holographic Marilyn Monrobots.

Wouldn't it be fucking hard to build a ship that size in space, like really, have you seen the movie gravity?

On small thing goes wrong and everything is fucked, flys away in endless motion, if it was on a plant, it would just fall.

The whole point of remastered TNG was to keep it looking exactly the same as it did in its original 1987-1994 run, using the same model footage and all. They didn't want to "Lucas-ify" it like TOS.

No gravity means you can build a large structure without worrying about how you're going to lift it into orbit. Why build a spaceframe that has to support its own weight on a planet's surface when it's going to get used in a microgravity environment?

Not really. Not if you're half competent. They're already building space stations in orbit today.

Yeah, I respect that decision.

I guess I just want more kino ship designs. STD and its overdone meme ships are not helping matters at all.

Why wouldn't they at least shell out for a dope ass paint job?
It would be a drop in the compared to their total construction costs, and a bargain for the amount of tight Orion pussy that would grab.

Looks like they took some influence from star fleet designs