Image Week 2 Storytime: Astro City

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

This week it's time to put the spotlight on the "second wave" series, those books that weren't created by the founders but still managed to be an important part of the company's history.

Next up is probably the best creator-owned superhero series of all time, Kurt Busiek's Astro City

The Maxx:
Pitt:
Hellshock:

If I remember what I've been told right Astro City avoided the super edge Image was kind of famous for in its early years doesn't it? I remember hearing it described as a love letter to older comics stories. Certainly feels like it so far.

That's right, yeah. It's like a non-malicious Kingdom Come.

Oh jeez, all those leftover |'s in those voice boxes. I can't help but read his inner monologue in Chico Marx's voice.

"Some sorti of Weather Disaster-i, probablyi anotheri typhoon."

Yeah, I have no idea what happened there.

You're all at the Savage Dragon thread, aren't you? Goddammit.

I'm reading.

Good, steer clear of shitposting and Sup Forums baiting. It's for the best.

Oh, I love Astro City! I remember when I did a complete storytime of it about a year and a half back. Busiek is definitely one of the most consistent writers in the business.

You were the guy who introduced me to it, so thank you.

Oh shit. Murderanon, you're back! I love this series. Very comfy.

I've been back since like a week, my man. If you're wondering when Invincible is coming back, should be at some point in March, probably.

It did have its sad moments. Like the silver agent's entire story.

Or that one issue about a guy remembering a girl who doesn't exist. Only later its revealed that she was his wife and doesn't exist because a supervillain broke time and the superheroes tried their best to fix it by rebooting it. So in the new timeline her parents never met but the guy still remembers her. It's even stated that he isn't the only one who lost someone special due to the unknown reboot.

I genuinely fucking cried over that.

>Or that one issue about a guy remembering a girl who doesn't exist. Only later its revealed that she was his wife and doesn't exist because a supervillain broke time and the superheroes tried their best to fix it by rebooting it. So in the new timeline her parents never met but the guy still remembers her. It's even stated that he isn't the only one who lost someone special due to the unknown reboot.
To be fair, that was HIS fault, but yes, probably one of the saddest cape stories of all time.

its nothing like Kingdom Come at all

I don't mean literally Kingdom Come, I mean in the sense that they both went against the trend of extreme 90's antiheroes, but while KC was very aggressive in its posture, Astro City just... is, it doesn't attack 90's stuff, it just shows you why Busiek prefers classic heroes.

Wait who's fault? The guy didn't mess with time. Th villain did, unless you were blaming him.