What's the furthest comics can go before readers complain about it getting too political?

What's the furthest comics can go before readers complain about it getting too political?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's a right way to handle politics and a wrong way.

Saying anything that anyone might disagree with, really.

>when the candidate you're obviously promoting loses the election

How is that political? Or does anything that contains the word "immigrant" just automatically become political to you?

America is on the verge of turning into a warzone right now.

it's been a pretty political topic in todays world. Iirc people got mad because Kamala led a bunch of minorities to the polls.

And that related to what she's saying... how?

As someone that immigrated from Ukraine to england and then to america, this is 100% true.

This

Shit, that's unfortunate mate.

Feel free to head back home any day now.

America's situation is a tense one. Not exactly because of King Donald the Trump, but because it appears that the citizenship in general has grown tired of democracy.

Did you even read the image OP posted?

That´s pretty on spot.

I say that if you cant stay related with the characters/the story/theme of the book or you cant bother to be impartial about a certain issue you shouldnt bother bringing politics at all.

As an American, I demand more glue.
[Spoiler]I feel like it is true, but at the same time I feel a mild xenophobia is justified... Sorry guy.[/spoiler]

>People wonder if my culture where husbands can hit women, we have to cover ourselves or we get stoned and is generallynbackwards, fanatic and violent screwed me up WHEN WILL THE OPPRESSION EEEEEEND REEEE

How is marvel this fucking retarded?

Failed spoiler. Time to die.

Has the Dave Sim is not a misogynist petition reached its goal yet?

I figured Sup Forums would have given him the signatures.

When the social and political climate of a society has reached such levels of tension and generalized distrust, it's natural the citizens are going to feel out of place while at the same time placing excessive burdens and expectations on one another -- immigrants, especially. That's what I meant.

Ummmm not all muslims???
and who cares if female rape victims get stoned???? thats like their culture?????

hmph, let's just see you try!
*teleports behind you*

Why would I do that?

Your own citizens are the biggest problems with both of your countries. Both Americans and the Brits have proven that they are far too foolish to ber allowed to participate in democracy. The fact that of all the better Republican options, a clown Trump was not only chosen as nominee but -elected- and that Hillary was ever REMOTELY thought of an acceptable option in the first place is evidence enough of that nobody on either side has the ability to determine a decent candidate with their interests in mind.

If anything, we're all here to help save you from yourselves. You need us; We're the only hope you have left.

>filling comics up with bigoted strawman for the LGBT/PoC heroes to knock down
>making the most irredeemable villains be pro LGBT/PoC equality to make the strawmen seem worse in comparison
>drop story arcs and replace them with LGBT/PoCs brooding about how they're so oppressed and how they have it even worse than capes/muties

>REMOTELY thought of an acceptable option
Wew lad

I don't need you in the slightest and I'm not joking when I say I wouldn't mind seeing you and all your kind swinging from the branch of a tree.

That's not a meme or anything like that, I want you gone. Stay in your own fucking country if this one is as bad as you claim, nobody wants you here.

There was no one on any side of that election that was a good choice.

Whovthe fuck decided these things? Really? Not a single uplifting candidate?

this

it's identity politics

examples?

But people shit in yuppie culture all the time

No, you do. You're not nearly smart or responsible enough to be trusted with your own democracy. I'd say you probably voted against your own interests, but I can already tell you don't even know what those are. 90% of people that live in democracies don't, and the ones that do are wealthy enough to talk the media into making you want what they want. It's really too bad

You're welcome on behalf of immigrants everywhere. I promise we'll find a way to make America great again.

wow so much wrong here. These people would probably be happy if USA didn't but its face in the middle east and fucked shit up.

when it becomes clear the character is merely a vessel for the writer's opinions

this make sense from the character's POV. It doesn't have to be correct and i don't agree to it with an extent. But it does make perfect sense coming from the mind of an american teenager.

Immigrants did make America great in the first place...

>I don't need you in the slightest and I'm not joking when I say I wouldn't mind seeing you and all your kind swinging from the branch of a tree.

>I'm not joking when I say I wouldn't mind seeing you and all your kind swinging from the branch of a tree.
You could kill all of the immigrants with this amount of edge

>The worst enemy of the People are not politicians anymore, but the People themselves.

Ah, I'm so glad somebody else understands.

Are you stupid?
"Da white privilege" is political horse shit.

That's the big tragedy. Protesters act as if Trump were the source of all of America's problems. But Trump is merely a symptom, not a cause, of Americans growing tired of democracy.

Clinton and Trump had plenty of support, and still do. Left and Right want an almighty monarch that will crush their enemies and rules the country without restraints. That's the core of the problem.

What she said is utterly true. If one white person sniffs glue in a population made mostly of white people then no one bats an eye. If one Pakistani does it in a group of non-Pakistanis then most of them come to the conclusion that Pakistani's are all glue sniffers. It's just how the human mind works. We love generalizations using very little data because it makes the world easier to understand.

There's nothing wrong with politics in comics, even hardcore stuff like Mr A.

The problem is PANDERING, dumb ignorant american writers that don't know the difference between conservative and right wing, using comics as a tool for mouth pieces instead of using politics as a storytelling oportunity.

Captain America having an illegal mexican family in his apartment saying it's wrong for them to be in america and that they are criminals and having a hard time doing what is right (with the kid of the family actually getting them a green card) is fine.

You can expose Heroes to stuff that would affect them or that puts their own actions in perspective:

Green Lantern not caring about what happens in the plaents he fight, Bruce Wayne giving jobs to people he know he has fought as batman, Or even the Ultimates being total fascist interventionist cunts having to fight the "evil ultimates" that where nothing more than a NORMAL response from China.

Politics belong in comics. Marvel has a extremely long story of PANDERING to teenage fads. now is not that marvel actually cares about the SJW and panders to them hoping they will be their public, is an attempt to bait SJW bloggers to give them free press and more important to RENEW their image as the "young and proggresive" company. They were the hippie ones, the "not your dad comic", the cool ones and then the Edgy ones, Marvel lost that in the late 90s, DC, thanks to vertigo got to be the "mature" one, before mature meant "grim" and thanks to the movies a bunch of kids 10 years ago got iron man, what marvel wants now is not be the "kiddie company", but the "proggresive liberal" one.

Is a gimmick by ignorant idiots. If marvel had balls the muslim characters wouldnt be talking about being immigrants, with someone like O'neil they woukd question WHO BOMBED THOSE COUNTRIES. You can see Scott's twitter, over and over again people asked him why Trump being a cunt when it comes to migration is worst than WARS.

When you say "we'll make America great again" i think you intend to be condescending to native citizens of the US like you could do a better job but you have to understand when you say 'we' you mean 'us' because once you're here, me and you are working together my friend. Because we'll both be Americans. You get that?

Would it really be that bad to scrap our current system and make it simpler? As is, nobody can get anything done

For the first one, the closest example I can give you is a scene from Justice League (or it might've been one of the movies) where Wonder Woman emasculates a random guy for saying something like "You're pretty tough for a lady".

The second one is a variation of pic related. I can totally see other writers mimicking this joke to fit their narrative.

Third one is purely anecdotal. I was part of a geek club in uni. Most of the club was LGBT/PoC and their favorite game was the Oppression Olympics.

>dumb ignorant american writers that don't know the difference between conservative and right wing,
Implying there is a difference in America with their two party system

They should stop preaching.
Show > tell.

>Politics in comics: DUDE REPUBLICANS/DUDE WHITE PEOPLE
>Politics in manga: Talks about ideas in a way that whether you read them in 2000 or 2050 they're still relevant because they're trying to do more than just shallowing jump on a hot topic

> As is, nobody can get anything done

it's partly designed to run slowly so that one person couldn't get in power and go all hitler with it.

Most readers dont' complain. They just stop reading/buying

Well maybe we need someone with absolute control. Democracy doesn't work

That's the point.

Obama is farther right than hitler, and Hillary is as far right as Pinochet, literally the only Neo-liberal dictator ever.

Vastly more complex systems run by evil motherfuckers supported by human detritus are already in place to navigate our current complex system, simplifying would bring more people into participation sure but it wouldn't prevent those in power from maintaining their positions i don't think.

The joke is that byrne is a clown and that the joker is a jew and everyone knows that but DC really wants to avoid saying it loud

But we need less people in government.

Not really though the whole "white people are crazy" sentiment runs pretty hard in a lot of places. And Paki glue sniffers probably wouldn't catch on as a stereotype until at least another couple did it like Abbo gas huffers.

>are far too foolish to ber allowed to participate in democracy
Get out of internet Brysseldrone. Please.

m8, mangas are just as bad as comics on this side. There's wrong and there's right.
If japanese knew how to politics, people living there would be happy.

*unteleports you*
pshh...... nothing personnel..... kid

No, but it's instead designed so a WHOLE mob of people and their corporate backers are the ones that can go all Hitler with it.

I know that's how it is now, but it should be changed so that one person has all that power

Yes, and I agree 200%. The problem is people like that don't understand that. Unfortunately, that sentiment is rather common.

No they wouldn't, because their countries were violent shitholes before the US got involved.

>m8
>mangas
>Vague nothing comment

Try again, user.

>No, but it's instead designed so a WHOLE mob of people and their corporate backers are the ones that can go all Hitler with it.

well no because 1778 is a hell of a lot different from 2012 or 2017 or 1980. but i get your point

>trying to do more than just shallowing jump on a hot topic
Spouting vague philosophical drivel about how humans are naturally angry/violent. It isn't particularly worth bragging about.

>being a weeb
>needing anything concrete to be proven wrong

Try again, user.

>Politics in manga: GLORIOUS NIPPON ALL OTHER NATIONS CAN POLITICS CAN NOT COMBINE
And then there are rare cases like Akemetsu who says that the solution to a collapsed economy and corruption is to violently murder everyone involved in said collapse and corruption.

This is just an easy tool to deflect all criticism. Stupid excuses like:

>Some muslim man may honor kill his daughter but there was some crazy white guy a few years ago who did something similar
>So honor killings can't be specific problem muslim problem.
>Don't talk about it, you racist.

Considering how homogeneous Japan is, they're actually fairly..well fair when it comes to involving other countries.
>Vague
Nothing vague about something like GoTS which blows away any cartoon or comic the west has made

Actually when it comes to Japanese media they either treat the US like a joke or treat it like the greatest country ever.

>Nothing vague about something like GoTS which blows away any cartoon or comic the west has made
Ghost in the Shell? You mean V for Vendetta: the anime?

>their countries became violent shitholes when the US got involved.
Hint; Radical islam is a US-funded means of toppling democratically-elected nations in the middle east in favor of Pro-US regimes that, spoiler alert, turn out to be not-so Pro-US.

Don't forget, Bin Laden recieved a western-style education

Most mangas don't care much about the message. They want action and suspense.They don't care if the solutions they accidentally show are questionable.

I still prefer that to western nanny writing.

Calm down, Anakin.

Just like comics, that depends on the writer.
Sometimes you get good political/social commentary, like Franken Fran.
Other times, you might get shit like GATE.

Will you watch this show, Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

You either have no idea what Ghost in The Shell is about or have no idea what V for Vendetta is about.
Either way is that is least accurate comparison I have ever seen in my life.

Here is what happened.

For a bunch of different reasons converging on each other, the political climate in America has been really toxic for a while. There isn't actually any liberal party in America, by the standards of most of the rest of the world the Democrats would be the Right and the Republicans are the Far Right. We have no left. This means that our political ecosystem isn't stable, we don't balance back and forth around the middle anymore, we just keep drifting further and further right.

The two party system, and considering any third party to be a laughing stock not worth our time, means that any time one party takes a stance the other party is basically obligated to take the opposing stance. Everything becomes a partisan issue, even if it shouldn't be one. And the two parties we have are so constantly at each others throat that after Obama got elected it was somehow deemed acceptable that the Republican strategy for the next 8 years was 'what if we pretended he wasn't really president and just didn't let him DO anything?'

And interwoven with all of the above is the fact that our constant campaign system, and deregulation of campaign finance and inclusion of superPACs, means that corporate money and wealthy investors get to choose our candidates. We only get to pick from the options they give us first, so they stack the deck.

The cumulative effect of all of this is that Washington politics have drifted further and further away from what the American people actually care about. Its all special interests, self aggrandizing legislation for campaign fuel, partisan dickwaving or internal politic shell games. This applies to both sides, just in different ratios. And the American people are getting increasingly sick of it.

>"Da white privilege"
I understand you don't like to acknowledge but white privilege is and has always been a thing. Complaining about it doesn't mean it's not valid.

>Ghost in the Shell? You mean V for Vendetta: the anime?
What did he mean by this?
Okay let me restate: Comics and manga aimed at older audience.
Cause shit like GATE is literally for pre-teens while Franken Fran is 18+

Nope the arab world was fucked even before WW1.

How many liberal comics does Sup Forums have to read before they stop spamming Sup Forums?

Yeah okay, user.

>All white people should feel guilt for what they've done throughout history
>But the good stuff you get from your ancestors aren't shared among all of you, so it's privilege

hmmmm yes
making up your own definition of a subject and bashing it
a bit old school but still respectable

Yeah I'm not talking about the anime you fucking retard.
I'm talking about the movie. The thing that actually made the franchise famous globally and put anime as a medium on the forefront?

I didn't give a definition for white privilege, excellent reading comprehension and grammar like usual tumblr.

And if a white woman doesn't wear a hijab in a primarily muslim country she'll be utterly ostracized or even killed.

What's your point?

>GiTS blows away any cartoon or comic the west has made
>I'm not talking about the anime
?????

Literally every single racial group has privilege according to the definition and theory leftists professors use. You could go down to the black homeless man with four teeth, 8 toes and a lacy eye and call him privileged.

If you're so holier than us, why did you need to fuck off from your home country in the first place?

>Nakia dropping truth bombs
is the only kind I can tolerate, her characters was established from day one.

That's a terrible example.

Ghost in the Shell the movie from 1995 is an anime but it is not THE anime.
The anime series (which there are like three by the way) came out later and are by different writer/directors.

The movie is what I'm talking about, if I was bringing up the anime I would have said their subtitle like Stand Alone Complex or whatever.

So because you're a fucking idiot I'll re-state;
The Ghost in The Shell movie blows away any comic or cartoon the west has made and the philosophical themes and questions are still relevant to this day.

>Politics in comics: DUDE REPUBLICANS/DUDE WHITE PEOPLE
>Politics in manga: DUDEO, JAPAN NO COMMIT WAR CRIME, FILTHY GANJIN GOOK MAKING UP LIES OF GLORIOUS NIPPON

Readers today are fucking pussies. If Garth Ennis is a pretty political guy and if wrote half of the shit he did today this board would be calling him a race traitor and a cuck.

Explain how then.

Trump stormed through the primaries because he promised to shake things up and rattle the establishment, and he gained a foothold against the other candidates because the Republican party has been weak and internally divided for years. The Reps were divided into something like 4 internal factions all claiming to be the 'one true republican party' even before Trump showed up, and that division left them without the immune system to keep Trump out. That, and he knows how to play the social media game better than any of the other candidates, he controlled the conversation the entire election even if the conversation was mostly about how awful he was.

Hillary, meanwhile, strongarmed the DNC because she had spent the last 8 years building her board state, preparing for this election. And she was going to be damned if she didn't run as the democratic nominee. The problem was she was still running like it was 8 years ago, and the fact that Trump was her opponent made her overconfident because like everyone else she didn't think he could win. She didn't respond to the growing resentment that the American people have been feeling towards being ignored by their government, and she wasn't the right candidate to run for this election.

So it turned into a choice between the Washington insider who represents another 4 years of not really listening to you, or the outsider who promises he is going to make things different. For people who have felt left out and left behind, that's enough to push them towards Trump because the current system is already failing them, so they feel they have little to lose and Trump makes big promises.

Russia probably helped Trump win too, but even assuming that is true its just Russian taking advantage of an already present shitstorm to get the result they want. They didn't create the mess in the first place.

No one said white people are crazy. Who are you even arguing with?

Regardless, what I said was true. What the comic said was true. How about you save your ire for actually untrue statements.

>gives reasonable justification for the statement in the comics
>lol, that isn't even relevant, what's relevant is that muslims kill women! That's what we are talking about, not comics and cartoons!
What did user mean by this?