youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig
youtube.com/watch?v=QhARR-zmTCE
youtube.com/watch?v=HlEJbs02wAM
youtube.com/watch?v=-TKY1G6l8pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nJPERZDfyWc
youtube.com/watch?v=pbjVjZrrE3w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bronson is his best film btw and anyone that disagrees is a Pleb fucking shit

I know he's a hacker. Dude put a rootkit on my computer, it was fucked up. Don't mess with him.

No but he indulges in pretentiousness more than he should. He's not quite mystic enough to pull off convincing surrealism.

Bump

He needs to stop writing his own movies. He fucking sucks at screenwriting.

hes /our hack/

I used to be pretty harsh on the guy but this webm warmed me up to him

that's why I made 'em

Nah his movies are OK. Even Only God Forgives wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says; it's pretty and atmospheric if nothing else.

I figure his career is over though.

>tfw you will never have a friendship like Nicholas and Goose

He's /ourguy/. He's starting his own FREE streaming service with restored classic flicks, paying for it himself.

He used to be good looking, what happened

youtube.com/watch?v=j7uOKLpiJlo

How come? Because Neon Demon flopped?

he's an auteur

>He used to be good looking

His career is far from over. The other user is just a faggot who is speculating because he is a philistine.

Guy has an artistic eye and good cinematography, he’d be better suited to making video clips for songs

yes
only pretentious faggots and memesters will say otherwise

>philistine
please don't ruin that word by using it frivolously. we need that word. cuck used to mean a guy who lets other guys fuck his wife you know.

For better or worse he's one of the few directors with a clear individual style, much like Wes Anderson or Harmony Korine

I think he gets too caught up in setting up shots than telling a story properly

The only reason he gets so much flack is because his films are somewhat mainstream and thus exposed to plebs that can't handle films that aren't narrative driven.
The fact that people think his films are incredibly pretentious or 'style over substance', or whatever bullshit gets thrown around goes to show that most people aren't well exposed to cinema.
Basically he's entry level kino so people think it's cool to shit on him, even though there are films out there that have the same qualities his films get criticized for -even far more amplified- but are well received because they're obscure enough that plebs don't watch them.

So what's the context here

*steals ur jaw*

Liv looks like a lego man

The bromance was going too far between those two in the months leading up to Only God Forgives' release. I remember at one point they were kissing on the lips at media events.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Se4wv9tz58
>3:45
>Oh please, this country. in Europe they're much more liberal about this. It's just guys hanging out having fun.

least they cancel each other out for the kids

It's a joke.

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=tj8rwWC5LDU
youtube.com/watch?v=2VZtcLCgMqI (8:56)
Who had the better picks?

I want the Avenging Silence to happen.

abbey

did she get her teeth fixed?

He clearly puts a lot of effort and cares a lot about everything he does, and is genuinely upset when it doesen't meet its standards, how is he a hack? I don't even like most of his movies but is hack now just a buzzword for "person I dislike"?

Her teeth seem to switch regularly since she started acting. Maybe she wore fake teeth/a cover in 2015? Because in 2015 and some of 2016 her teeth looked fixed, but as of 2017 they look weird again.

This. In the documenary made by his wife you can see how depressed and angry Refn gets when he isn't satisfied with something during producton. He even starts hitting his head over something he was frustrated with when making Only God Forgives.

>He even starts hitting his head over something he was frustrated
This is literally a sign of autism.

At least he got style.

Better to be a real autist than a fake normie in this regard

ref knows nothing lol

qt

When will he be Next?

it's just a normal european greeting m8

I live in scandi and lots of muslim guys will do that to young girls here

Only God Forgives is a shit movie?

No, but his head is too far up his own ass and that's coming from someone that likes Only God Forgives, the Neon Demon and Valhalla Rising

He's better when he makes more conventional movies

Does anyone have the captioned version?

completely missed what a bromance was I think

He's always going to have a career in Denmark

He's got a good eye...Neon Demon looked like a Kubrick film...Same goes with Only God Forgives... Problem is that his films tend to be empty...Boring. Not captivating at all. a shame because he creates beautiful looking films for sure.

Neon Demon was at least more interesting than Onlt God Forgives...

I get the feeling that Refn doesn't is trying to find his own identity as a film director...He tries to emulate of David Lynch's stuff...Some of Kubrick's...But something is missing...Maybe a good script ? He has interesting ideas...But not compeling enough imo.

He needs a better writter...He should stick to directing, but should co-write his films...

Imagine a film directed with Refn's visual flair, only with a tarantino script ?...Or Coen Bros Script....

>I live in scandi and lots of muslim guys will do that

Yes it is normal amongst muslims but not Scandinavians. It would be weird if I as a Swede would do that.

>tarantino script
yikes... you lost me there

if you wanted someone mainstream and good, maybe try kaufman

Stop being a fucking film snob...
Love him or hate him Tarantino certainly writes better scripts than Refn ever will. I personally don't like Tarantino's style. (visually speaking, his films aren't anything special imo and thank god Natural Born Killers ended up being directed by Oliver Stone)...

Anyway, Refn needs a co-writter...There's huge potential....He has a fantastic eye...But lacks the same type of imagination you'd find from someone such as Lynch...(someone he clearly tries to copy, along with Kubrick's visual approach)...

The Abbey interview is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

>stop being a film snob
I see you have no arguments at all.

This stuff is truely amazing...The attention to detail, the setting, the way it's shot...The geometry etc..
youtube.com/watch?v=H--z1M-524E
Same goes for Neon Demon..
youtube.com/watch?v=NZYmgZSf6KY

He's talented for sure...But his films need a final touch...He needs a different writter..
Maybe a co-production wih Lynch himself would do the work.

He should just do perfume ads at this point. He's a pretty good commercial director. His Gucci and YSL ads were p.good.

>I see you have no arguments at all.
Well that's not an argument either..
Look i know my english is shit. (not my native language)... But that's one thing you can't take away from Tarantino...He writes good characters
youtube.com/watch?v=vNrG5lD2zmQ

I agree with you, but Tarantino is a shocking choice

film snobbery aside, tarantino's scripts doesn't really fit refn's style, maybe I could see reservoir dogs being directed by refn

maybe taylor sheridan or javier gullon would be better choices

>He should just do perfume ads at this point. He's a pretty good commercial director. His Gucci and YSL ads were p.good.

This one is visually stunning..
youtube.com/watch?v=lJZc0L4xPjQ

(the music is from Massive Attack btw)

>taylor sheridan
I was thinking that actually, but I don't know how well his visual style would work with Sheridan's boner for the frontier

>she doesn't get picked up at bars
everyone probably feels like she wouldn't give them the time. I know i would, i'd aim at her homely but still cute friend and then MAYBE work my way up by being awesome next to her

I get a dopamine hit from this, this is very beautiful.

eat a giant dick, tarantino is a bigger hack than refn, pulp fiction is his only good movie.
Charlie kaufman is an amazing writer and he'd elevate any directors work.

sheridan's Wind River was lacking a distinct visual style, he is a good writer but I think Wind River would have been so much better if a more capable visual director was directing it, I mean what Villeneuve did with Scicario compared to it, or to a lesser extent Mackenzie did in Hell or High Water

>I agree with you, but Tarantino is a shocking choice

Well, i'll admit that it's true....It probably wouldn't fit Refn's world.... But any other writters would help him at this point imo...

He has the eye...But happens to be a mediocre writter...Some directors can't have both..

David Lynch for instance, is able to direct and write funny and very awkward scenes...
This one comes to mind...Simple, yet brilliant
youtube.com/watch?v=ZucVDrVzDpk

Or this classic..
youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

Refn on the other hand...Has nailed the visuals...(from both Lynch and Kubrick)...aesthetically beautiful but empty shells...

Another director who has the very same problem is that Indian guy who directed the Fall and the Cell...(can't remember his name)

Visually stunning stuff..
youtube.com/watch?v=QhARR-zmTCE

(i personally wasn't too engaged in the story though...Maybe because it felt like a rip off of Terry Gilliam's "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen "

fuck off from here, perfume ads are the worst part of the industry, it's like saying one direction or whoever is it's equivalent nowadays has great music production. It's shit and it's been crated from shit, with shit goals. Sure there's some pros working there and it might be technically good, but it's still shit for so many reasons.

>he distinguishes between story and visuals
Is there a single bigger pleb trap in cinema?

Perfume commercials are brilliant and a great tool for experimentation. Also, it's nice for idiosyncratic filmmakers that they can make gigantic amounts of money doing that while keeping their features focussed.

Also, Refn needs to write his stuff himself. Pusher II was written by him alone and it is more beautiful and emotionally resonant than any of the works by the writers mentioned ITT. It's just that the Ref insists on doing some type of exploitation and giallo inspired films. Those nonsensical works are very strange by modern standards but were completely acceptable in the 70's. He wants that feeling.

youtube.com/watch?v=HlEJbs02wAM

That's just your subjective opinion buddy. Calm down

I don't know user, I think it's a shame uno farto stopped writing for other people because he knows how to write a script. I mean look at true romance, even with another director the script still has a lot of personality and attitude that still shine through THATS good screenwriting.

its literally objective that tarantino is a hack that steals a handful old movies, puts them in a blender, adds some nigga slang, some pop culture references, some catchy tunes, and calls it a movie.
And it's literally objective that everything kaufman did is well written at worst. I actually think everything he's been involved with is amazing.

>efn needs to write his stuff himself. Pusher II was written by him alone and it is more beautiful and emotionally resonant than any of the works by the writers mentioned ITT
Also Pusher III, probably my favorite film of his.

I guess but it's a bit overbearing and you can hear him literally write those long diatribes and rants his characters spew, he's sort of like Sorkin that way.

I mean they have personality but all their character personalities deviate from their own and its certainly entertaining in a way and can make good movies sometimes with good vision but I just find it a bit much

>when you give the bull new sheets to fuck your wife in

I watched Valhalla Rising the other day. I enjoyed it on a technical level but I have no fucking clue what it was about. I gather there's a bit of Norse mythology with hel and One Eye representing Odin, but that's the extent of it.

With Only God Forgives I knew that there was more to the story that I'd be able to work out with a bit of effort, but I got no sense of that from Valhalla Rising. It's a shame because it's a good setting and Mads is great in it

Yes. Considering he's been making the same movie since Drive, he's a hack.

Peaked with Bronson.

>Yes. Considering he's been making the same movie since Drive
Dumbest Sup Forums post of the day

>Peaked with one of the best movies of a decade
What a hack!

>its literally objective that tarantino is a hack that steals a handful old movies, puts them in a blender, adds some nigga slang, some pop culture references, some catchy tunes, and calls it a movie.

It sounds very easy when you put it this way. But guess what ? If it was so easy, there'd be nothing special about this guy's talent. And you wouldn't be wasting your time callking him a hack on a chinese message board...You'd write similar or better scripts yourself....But the truth is that you don't have that talent...

Do you think there's any "originality"...Genuine originality anywhere ? Everything is a copy, a remix...

Nolan's Inception...Inspired from Paprika...Paprika itself, is inspired from K Dick...
The Matrix...same shit
youtube.com/watch?v=-TKY1G6l8pQ

EVERYTHING IS A REMIX buddy..
youtube.com/watch?v=nJPERZDfyWc

In music, litterature, films , even food, architecture...We all copy and remix ideas from each other...

Disney itself, reboots its own animated films....And even recycles its own animations
youtube.com/watch?v=pbjVjZrrE3w

De Palma's Scarface....Was a fucking remake
Scorsese's The departed, was a remake...
The list is endless....

Yes but hes /ourhack/

>Paprika itself, is inspired from K Dick...
Paprika is based on a Japanese novel of the same name.

>Paprika is based on a Japanese novel of the same name.
And where do you think Yasutaka Tsutsui got most of his ideas from ? Out of thin air ? We ALL influence each other...ALL the time , you can't escape it even on a subconscious level...

Oh don't come to me with that bullshit. the "everything is a remix" concept is valid, but there are good remixes and "literally stole pieces of things like a child having a fever dream with his favourite toys and cartoons and called it my original content"

Tarantino is not good at remixing. It's babby's first blacksplotation and western and asian lore. He seems good to people who hasn't seen enough movies and can't tell his work is soulless.

The fact that im discussing his work on a cantonese tumblr is because the industry picked him up, because his shit made money, because dumbasses think he's good for some reason. That doesn't make him talented. Otherwise i guess you consider michael bay and some other hacks that make billions and gets discussed here also talented? sure michael bay has some sort of talent, at making money, at making shallow but technically impressive movies, sure, whatever u say. But as filmmaking goes, he sucks, and so does tarantino

Tommy?

Bronson was pretty good but I don't think the scene with the inmate shitting in his hand was necessary.

no, even objectively, you could ask anyone and they'd typically have at least one of his movies in their top 10s

>the way she instinctivly moves to resist by placing her hands on his wrists but he breaks away quickly enough that it doesn't look like a struggle on camera

>Oh don't come to me with that bullshit.

It's not bullshit...
Without Schopenhauer there'd be no friedrich nietzsche...
Without Goethe or Kant, there'd be no Schopenhauer...
Without Schultz , Rousseau or Christian Wolff , there'd be no Emmanuel Kant.

You are deluding yourself if you think anyone...let alone film directors , writters or
Charlie fucking Kaufman , are immuned or impermeable to outside influences...

>Anyway, Refn needs a co-writter

Alex Garland? or even a Tarantino script with Refn's direction?

Why the fuck do you end every sentence with three dots?

>Alex Garland? or even a Tarantino script with Refn's direction?
Anyone would do...
And there's no shame to admit it...But it seems that Refn's ego is getting in the way of his own film projects...

Take Villeneuve for instance.. Fantastic film director...Who doesn't necessarily writes his own films...Same goes with the legendary Kubrick.

Refn definitely has talent..I can't tell who he should be paired with...(it would have to be someone who understands his artisitic vision)...

Kinda like Lynch's co-writter on Lost Highway (Barry Gifford)..

The Coen Brothers have each other...But when you don't have a second half that fully understands you...It's a more difficult matter..Not impossible, but complicated.

I demand an answer to this

>Why the fuck do you end every sentence with three dots?
I don't know. I could lie and tell you that i'm influenced by Louis-Ferdinand Céline but i don't have 1/100th of his talent.

Who /abbey/ here?

Celine doesn't abuse ellipsis like that, nigga.
Children and the mentally ill do, though.
Which one are you?