I just read the first trade of the new Green Lanterns series and

I just read the first trade of the new Green Lanterns series and...

How did Sam Humphries get this good?

This is the same guy who made Kitty Pryde dance in a banana costume to break Starlord out of jail.

What changed to make his Green Lanterns book so good?!

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/01/12/are-these-massive-spoilers-for-civil-war-ii-or-just-neogaf-fan-fic/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apparently, Geoff Johns is being Humphries' close advisor. It makes sense, both characters are his creation.

I think it's mostly these two characters did not have a whole lot of work done on them before, so Humphries can sort of give them new voices without a ton of backlash.

simon should be purple and Jessica should be violet

they miss the chance

Thing is, Humphries doesn't do anything too outlandish with these characters. They are well rounded and defined.
That could be it, yeah.

I've seen a LOT of "Simon Baz is hot" comments. Why?

I mean, he is handsome, but so is every super-hero. Why is Simon attracting such attention?

Simon doesn't act much like he did in older appearances but apparently nobody read those (or they like Humphries more so it's okay in this instance)

he actually has an editor who does their job at DC

He looks good when he takes off his mask, and it's uncommon enough to note.
Also when he was baking cookies without a shirt on.

delicious brown is agendered

Something being fun doesn't mean it's good

see: mcu

But, this was good. You got characters who are relatable and you want to see them develop.

Not all comics need to be some Punisher/Spider Jerusalem saying why everyone else around them is shit.

Yeah, I was going to add that Baz does act a little differently (he had respect for Guy before), but he really did only have a handful of appearances before Green Lanterns

but it is good

You know, sometimes I wonder what anons consider to be good.

I have a worryingly real crush on Jessica

I imagine he's been given a direction to follow through in GLs and probably has an editor working with him to help in that regard. It amazes me how Dogfucker of all people is the one making Simon gain a personality and define himself and doing it well.

There's so little rule 34 of her.

If it makes them chuckle a little you can be sure half of Sup Forums thinks it's the best book in years

even beyond the humor, Phantom Lantern was a 5-star villain, and #15 was one of the best depictions of anxiety I've seen in fiction

>He looks good when he takes off his mask, and it's uncommon enough to note
What? Heroes looking good without a mask is the norm.

O thought you meant Green Lantern and Humphries were his creations

oh shut the fuck up

This. And a premise that pretty much write itself. Same goes for Lobdell's RHatO.

He's not entirely wrong, look at Gwenpool, mediocre at best but Sup Forums just fucking loves it for cutesy art and passable humor.

Yes he fucked Humphries' mother.

because he's literally perfect

This is correct.

Jessica and Simon are complete blank slates so really the worst of the writing is how damn wordy it is, specially all the narration boxes.

I wouldn't call five or so waifufags representative but fair enough point

What about Venditti on Hal? I'm telling you, someone made a wish on a monkey's paw for Rebirth and the price was the DCEU

I can't tell what you're saying about Hal's book, but I like it well enough.

>This is the same guy who made Kitty Pryde dance in a banana costume to break Starlord out of jail.
To be fair, how else could someone like Kitty get someone out of some sort of containment facility.

I'm saying that it's great (like GL's and RHatO) so it must be more than just having a simple premise that's suddenly turned all these writers around.

ah I see

This is probably the case with Vendetti on Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps as well. Vendetti got really good just out of literally nowhere.

I'm pretty sure Johns is holding their families hostage.

Johns should just go back to writing green lantern... I want it s bad. it hasn't been nearly as good since he left, I bet he's pratically ghostwriting for the new writers because humphries is complete and utter garbage, every book he's written that i've read has been cancer

> those bottom two panels
unf

Simon and Jessica weren't nearly as interesting under Johns

>Also when he was baking cookies without a shirt on.
Do you think Jessica fantasize about Simon? Cause seriously how can you not fantasize about the well built guy who shows tremendous emotional support and bakes cookies shirtless?

he's muslim

I don't think he's Muslim, just Middle Eastern

no he's muslim just not a very good one

Jessica is afraid to get out of her apartment, she would probably die if she saw a guy naked. She probably can't even imagine herself having sex without trigger a panic attack.

>How did Sam Humphries get this good?
>This is the same guy who made Kitty Pryde dance in a banana costume to break Starlord out of jail.

It doesn't have to be a sexual fantasy, maybe she just fantasize Simon and her in comfy situations.
>Hey J-bird, do you wanna binge watch Voltron?

>How did Sam Humphries get this good?

I've argued that he's got the ability to write a good book since Avengers A.I. but no other user seemed to believe me.

I think it's mostly because he actually has a decent editor now compared to Marvel's clusterfuck of management. It's also lends credence to the idea that Marvel ruins talent that would be great at DC (Soule, Lemire, Asrar, even Spencer).

>comfy
>you will never play morrowind in turns on a cold night with your green lantern bestie

I actually really enjoyed his Planet Hulk SW mini.
I hope the urban legend that he leaked CWII is true.

Better editors, Geoff Johns advising him, Humphries actually wanting to write for a change.

He is a new man.

Literally cried reading 15. I don't even have anxiety but I know people that do. It made it more real.

what legend?

From January 2016
bleedingcool.com/2016/01/12/are-these-massive-spoilers-for-civil-war-ii-or-just-neogaf-fan-fic/

>You guys have absolutely no reason to believe me, but I’ve read the script for the first issue of this. Here’s what happens (hint, it’s pretty bad)!

>The guy who can see everything in the future? He’s an Inhuman named Homer. I shit you not. No code name, no Inhuman moniker, just Homer.

>Homer helps the heroes beat some big bad and Captain Marvel takes the opportunity to start using Homer to solve future crimes.

>OFF PANEL, both War Machine and She Hulk die fighting Thanos as Carol learned he was landing on Earth to try to get the Cosmic Cube again thanks to Homer.

>Tony swears revenge on Carol for getting Rhodey killed, while Jennifer lies dying on a table, her last words urging Danvers to keep using Homer to look into the future, even though she’s, you know, dying.

Again, no reason to believe me but there you have it. Wait and see.

>Again, no reason for you to believe me on this, but heres some other tidbits:

>– Stark throws a big party for all the heroes when they beat the first big monster, and the party sees Damien Hellstrom hitting on Wanda. Jessica Drew is watching this, talking with other heroes and says something to the effect of “Come on Wanda, just say it. No more Hellstroms!”

>– Speaking of Jessica Drew, she’s had her kid at this point but they don’t give any details on it. Bendis seems to have a tough time keeping straight who exactly is on which team.

>– Carol wants to look into the future because “the Ultimates trying to prevent future catastrophes is sort of our thing!”

>– Tony explains how him being a Futurist is exactly WHY he doesn’t want to use Homer as “everything has a natural order”. This is explained through typical Bendis fashion with Tony stopping mid-sentence to tell everyone to “listen”.

Folks theorized it was Humphries as he escaped the back door for Rebirth.

Simon sounds fucking awesome

What bothered me more is that it continued the recent trend of the Badoon being a bunch of a retarded space lizards that the GOTG push around like chumps. Both the Badoon and the Spartax weren't even relevant in the already crowded 616 before Bendis overhauled them to be, well, even more useless and redundant. So what was even the point?

>have crippling social anxiety disorder and depression
>constantly working at improving but can't maintain any semblance of balance for a long period of time
>only one close family member actually understands the issue properly
>everyone else just kinda pretends it isn't a thing or skirts around the issue
>some family members outright say they don't believe it's a condition
>feel massively isolated but coping on a day to day basis
>pick up GL#15
>can't even finish the issue without crying
>perfectly encapsulates the fear of falling backwards into who you used to be
>covers the irrationality of anxiety and why it is so challenging in a single fucking page
>even fucking explains how to help people cope with how Simon acts

Sorry for blogpost but just needed to write out how goddamn important is GL#15 to me

I like the idea of Johns being this overlord looming over their head making sure they write his GLs decently.
Always watching. Always judging. Always playing with toys and eating cereal.

The GLs have done a bunch for the people with purple skin and the people with violet skin,
But what about the people with BROWN SKIN?

Yes, but the point is, you hardly see him without it.

You know, it's kind of ironic that a book about predicting future crimes was itself leaked months before it came out.

He is. If you haven't been reading Green Lanterns, you should, Simon and Jess are great and Humphries is making a decent over arching story.

>"Twenty-eight-something."

You know, I've always wondered if it was pronounced Two-Eight-One-Four or Two Thousand, Eight Hundred and Fourteen or what in the comics. Nice to know within canon how it's actually articulated.

I think it's been Two Eight One Four, but never the other one.
But Twenty eight fourteen rolls off the tounge better.

He has been Rebirthed.

He turned into Tony Stark?

>that hair
Jesus. At least he's gotten rid of it.

But user, imagine being the one to calm her down from her panic attack, then it turning into shy, timid, tender love with cuddling and hand-holding.

>Phantom Lantern was a 5-star villain
This this and this. I wish he would appear again somewhere, preferably in something only very minimal relation to lanterns, just for humor.

I have only read blackest night brightest day. And my core knowledge comes from TAS. Which makes this great. Great character work and slowly running through the core concepts. Every arc is showing me a new aspect to the mythos. GL for beginners and i love it.

I recently developed anxiety issues...possibly from a concussion or just severe depression that coalesced into that, and i agree. When my anxiety is high i think and feel exactly like her.

You hit the nail on the head user
Frank was many things done right: old character brought back, a bigger threat set up, and above all, he is a the perfect hateable villain with the most punchable attitude

Issue #15 is one of the most real depiction of not just anxiety, but how to support people with anxiety. I'm surprised Tumblr hasn't jumped all over it yet

All this proves Humphries definitely has talent. He just need something to keep him in check

People fantasize about themselves being confident all the time. Or submissive. That is the point of a fantasy, to have a different role. I don't think she does that wismth Baz though, he is a brother. If anything she fantazises about being in control of Wonder Woman

Tumblr only likes Marlel. Mary Sue told them DC was racist sexist homophobes

Oh well.
I bought a couple of the Deathstroke gun violence issues for my students (inner school Chicago kids) and got some good discussion out of it. It's just what it is

I am thinking of buying a second copy to cut up and colleague

My LCS is called Sector 2814 and most people say twenty-eight fourteen.

I have hyperresponsibility ocd and it also felt close at times.

I'm liking a lot but I wish the gl franchise stopped with the formula of every villain being either rellated to the emotional spectrum concept or to the green lanterns as a whole.

Oh, you're that guy. What did your students have to say about that issue?

Pretty split on the issue. Some believe in the eye-for-an-eye thing, some believe violence begets violence, but they all agree on owning weapons for self-defense, funny enough

>A civil discussion on Sup Forums, of all places, about anxiety

Why is 2017 so good lads?

Sup Forums Rebirth

>Why is 2017 so good lads?
Cuz you're here senpai.

Is Green Lanterns worth reading in trade or floppies? Considering buying the first volume at the end of the month since I'm reading HJ&TGLC in floppies.

I'm a filthy trade-waiter, so I'd go with that.

Regardless of his output, he looks fucking miserabel

I think its the 2x monthly schedule.
like he has to get the scripts out, and can't just dick around on them.

plus without the movie influences he isn't being as editorially scrutinized?

Reminds me of my poo friend, claims to be Muslim but doesn't believe in god and eats vegetables.

The art early on makes me waver. I'd suggest buying if not for that but it really wasn't consistent enough for my liking.

I fell behind on reading though so I don't know if it got better.

He didn't. The dialogue is cringey and repetitive. This "Humphries and Lobdell are good" meme is something DCfags regurgitate to cover up the fact that Rebirth's overall quality is no better (or worse, for that matter) than DC has been in the last 5 years

I floppy buy.

Spencer pls.

wait can muslims not eat vegetables