Was the ending too sugary sweet?

Looking back, they may have been laying it on a bit thick with the sappiness, especially the credits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8ULn9d_JfXI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the only thing i didnt like was how fast Stan got his memories back. other than that it was good. I do have an advantage over most of Sup Forums in that i binged the entire series over the 3 days before the finale aired, so i didnt have years of conspiracy theory tier threads building it up.

Yeah, a bit, but thats Disney for ya.

the ending monologue legitimately hit a major feel spot though.

I started watching the show shortly after it ended, and I mostly watched it out of order.

Eh, I thought it ended fine, besides the obvious stuff (like Mabel not apologizing for causing the apocalypse, but that's opening a can of worms.)

The ending made me realize that kids kind of have it easy nowadays when it comes to keeping in contact with people they meet over the summer. Before social media and the internet took storm, it was hard, and eventually you faded away from them ( or you didn't even get a chance to keep in any contact). Nowadays, all you gotta do is tell people to hit you up on the internet. Would be nice to have been able to have kept in contact with people I've met in the past.

Yeah. Come to think of it, The whole big sappy dramatic goodbye seems a bit weird in-universe when you consider that there's nothing stopping them from coming back next summer, or maybe even in a few months for christmas

It's probably so you're stuck with a feeling of optimism when you opens the letter.

*He, not you

The ending was complete shit and ruined the whole series for me.

Why's that?

except that Stan and Ford are off having kickass oldman adventures far away from Oregon, and the Pines Parents wont send their kids to live with weird man baby.

Who says they won't return to visit at some point?

YES EVERYTHING SHOULD HAVE BEEN EDGY TO SUIT MY 20SOMETHING NEEDS AND NOT THE INTENDED DEMOGRAPHIC THE NETWORK AGREED TO MAKE IT FOR

PARDON ME WHILE I GO COMPLAIN ABOUT MORALFAGS

SEE
YOU
NEXT
SUMMER

christ you're retarded

>or maybe even in a few months for christmas
youtube.com/watch?v=8ULn9d_JfXI

Don't cringe, it's fucking great

I liked the "the prophetic symbols didn't mean anything, ingenuity saves the day" twist, but Stan regaining his memories should've at least been left open-ended instead of explicitly brought back only minutes later.

What did Jesus have to do with this?

But in all seriousness, Stan was closing down shop, and Ford made it clear that their trip was going to be way longer than a few months.

>Stan & Stanford end up going missing on their trip
>Dipper & Mabel's parents won't allow them to go back to Gravity Falls because of it
>Dipper & Mabel, for the next few years, obsess over finding out what happened to their uncles
>When they turn old enough, they set out to reunite with Wendy, Soos ad Old Man McGucket to find their uncles

It's not so much that the ending was happy but rather how it was handled if that makes sense. While I was one of the couple people who could've guessed Disney would never let them kill off a character the fact they made Stan lose his memories for 2 minutes then immediately go back to normal was idiotically written and felt a bit manipulative even.

If you're not allowed to have the sad emotional ending then just don't bother with it. However this could very much be executive meddling on the last minute and since they had a clear setup with the memory gun it inturn fucked them from the very start. In which case, I feel bad from Hirsh but in the end of the day it doesn't change the fact that what we got was just dumb.

>While I was one of the couple people who could've guessed Disney would never let them kill off a character
Or it could just be that Alex is too attached to his characters to kill them off
plus I think he probably did it as insurance if his new show on Fox fails. I would bet money if it does, he'll just got back to the Gravity Falls characters.

It's been said countless times before, but it doesn't make it any less true: the matter of who was responsible for letting the apocalypse happen should've been addressed and resolved for some much needed character development.

IT'S A FUCKING CHILDRENS' CARTOON

> I'M STILL MAD AT MABEL OVER THE PIG

go back to /r9k/

Both Blendin & Mabel should have been called out. At first, it would be Mabel, but Blendin would step up and say it's mostly his fault.

The creator sure seemed to act like it was more than that

The creator sure didn't have the last say making a cartoon for Disney

keep floundering

I never said anything about a pig

it's a family show
and even Alex knows it. I mean, my god, the guy doesn't exactly try hard to be a clean cut role model for kids, does he?

Too bad Blendin fucked off back to the future and was never seen or heard from again.

Come to think of it, was there a reason for Blending being the one who got posesses to get the rift other than plot convenience?

>Or it could just be that Alex is too attached to his characters to kill them off
Possibly, though choosing the in explainable attachment to a character you made over writing a well thought plot or development is incredibly dumb and a sign of bad writing.

Not that I'm saying someone should've died, honestly while it could've been done well to increase the drama I also feel outright killing a character seems unnecessary for this show and if they couldn't think of a way to do something this dark in a generally lighthearted show naturally then not killing them would be the better option.

But there's a surprising number of writers who let their attachment of characters get the better of them, an example being the Zuke controversy in Steven Universe.
And I've seen children cartoons with more well thought out writing then this.
Kids don't equate to dumb, despite what many seem to believe.

Why do people defend Mabel so much? Can't they just admit she was a badly written character?

If Dipper caused the apocalypse the show would've made sure he was publicly humiliated and nearly killed over it.

>If Dipper caused the apocalypse
Let's not act like Dipper didn't have a small bit to do with it. He was pretty careless with that bag. When you got something that important in your bag, having it secured should be your number 1 priority, even if it means hurting someone feelings/brushing them off.

Maybe, but I mean if Dipper had been the direct cause of Bill getting the rift like Mabel was

it's because they're pedos and just want to bang her
most of her defenders are pinecesters i bet

Honestly, I fucking hated the ending.
Stan's memories should've been a casualty.
Dipper should've stayed with Ford.

I think they should've found a compromise between what Dipper wants and what Mabel wants, rather than essentially rewarding Mabel for causing the apocalypse.

>Dipper should've stayed with Ford.
Nah, that's stupid. Dipper obviously needed to experience life a bit more before embarked on that kind of thing (plus Stanford is somewhat nuts). Also, Stan & Stanford needed time to themselves to reconnect and do the thing they originally planned to do earlier in their lives, together.

Something something double standard.

life is fucked up, dude.

>In the finale, Dipper and Mabel are about to board the bus out of Gravity Falls.
>Suddenly, Dipper shoves Mabel into the bus and waves as the doors close and the bus drives off, a satisfied smile on his face.
>"So, is that apprenticeship offer still on the table?"

Stan and Ford reconciling without getting any development or screentime for their relationship in previous episodes (aside from ToTS) pissed me off so much. Everything about Ford's character was unsatisfying.

Technically, Stan and Ford only spoke to each other in 3 episodes.

And Ford interacted with Mabel 2 or 3 times total, and all of the interactions lasted less than a minute.

Which may explain the amount of Mabel and Ford bonding fics

Alec pls

My parents were divorced, and my dad was in the military. Basically, I moved about every year and a half. All those people I made acquaintances and friends with have mostly faded into the oblivion of half-forgotten memory. So, it kind of stings, since I had to go through that fucking umpteen times. I went to three fucking high schools.

Speaking of, the rift between Dipper and Mabel had a really weak payoff and a very unsatisfying resolution.

Mind explaining why?

Calm down, Alex

It's crazy because Stan and Ford's relationship is supposed to be very important yet the show barely does anything with them. It's one of my biggest disappointments with season 2B.

wtf i hate gravity falls now

it approached being a little sappy but I like happy endings

>While I was one of the couple people who could've guessed Disney would never let them kill off a character

you're a genius mate

>the only thing i didnt like was how fast Stan got his memories back
This was honestly my only complain...other than the series ending.

He got them back way to quick, but I guess it's to much for a kids show to end with a mind wiped Gruncle Stan.

I would've liked his memories to be gone but little by little come back eventually, leave the finale with a SMALL glimmer of hope as he just recalls something almost pointless right at the very end, that turns out to means so much.

haha me too. one episode was already impressive to me

Is this a meme?

Which one?

Spinoff when?

I'm afriad to ask what happened with Pacifica and Wendy. Did the dynmaic change?

hopefully if there is a spin off, it's about Mabel being depressed and feeling guilty over causing the apocalypse, which leads to her suicide.

huh

>it's a kid's cartoon so it doesn't have to be good
at least we can agree it isn't good

In the finale?
Wendy was the same, Pacifica went back to her pre-NWMM self
Unless you're talking about that Area comic?

a character dying doesn't make a show good

It was definitely rushed. Also

He made a deal with Bill for a new life in the past. He's laying low so the time police won't find him.

>obviously rushed ending because Alex got sick of working on the show
>characterizations were ruined
>plot holes left wide open and not explained
>Bill was an underwhelming villain despite being hyped for most of the season
Worst of all, we had to wait 2 fucking years just for it to all end, and to have it end like THAT was just a huge spit in the face.
Fuck alex hirsch and fuck disney channel. I am never getting invested into a cartoon like that again.

What difference does that make?
There are children cartoons that have better writing and consistency than GF

What were the plot holes?

Never explained where Robbie got the fucking hypnosis CD

Alien spaceship in GF that Ford and Dipper looked for the entire episode and when it was found, that had no significance whatsoever and was never talked about again.

Blendin Blandin exclaimed " I have to go get help!!" when Bill killed the Time Baby, and he never came back.

Never explained the connection the Northwest's had to Bill despite having a tapestry prophezising his return in their fucking mansion

The list goes on. Non of those were ever resolved because they just threw together the remaining episodes and called it a day because the hack manlet didn't want another season

I think he plans on doing all of that in the comic book he plans to make.

Its not the same as watching the show, but atleast its something.

While I agree some things needed to be expanded upon, not everything needed to, and it's obvious some stuff was left open for people to speculate about, like Robbie's cd. Shows like the X-Files and Twin Peaks don't explain everything because the mystery and speculation is more intriguing than the actual answers.

I feel like the answer to most of these are pretty mundane.

>that had no significance whatsoever
Any significance the spaceship had was in the past. It's where Ford got materials for the portal and it crashed because of the shapeshifter's mom.

The entire ship reactivated, said a bunch of gibberish, tried to kidnap Ford and flew into space.

They obviously planned something for that otherwise they wouldnt have included it.

>They obviously planned something for that otherwise they wouldnt have included it.
Alex said in the special they did for the show that he prefers it and finds it scarier when Aliens are more mysterious (as in not actually seeing the aliens, and only remnants existing of them)
So I don't think he had much more planned if anything at all

Sounds like damage control to be perfectly honest.
Just tell everyone you wanted to get the show over with and originally had something planned, butch changed your mind because youre too lazy

>Sounds like damage control to be perfectly honest.
I remember hearing him saying something along the same lines way back in season one. Besides it's not like we didn't get aliens we just didn't get those particular aliens.

>The entire ship reactivated,
Nah only the automated defense system. It was included so Dipper could gain confidence. Besides this was written with full knowledge it was going to be the last season. They 100% knew they weren't coming back whilst writing the episode.

>tfw the credits had more of an impact than the finale itself
I teared up, in a very masculine way. It was such a cheap shot though, showing nice summer memories like that.

The one thing I disliked about the credits was how they showed scene with Ford hanging out with Stan and the kids, which didn't seem likely to have happened Pre-Weirdmageddon. The credits would've killed me if the overall writing of the show was handled better.

Well there was a week or two gap between the end of weirdmageddon and them leaving. The scenes with Ford were supposed to be during that time.

Yeah, but Ford still seemed like a shut-in at the time who only interacted with Dipper.

Especially that grappling hook scene with Ford and Stan in the credits, didn't seem like something Pre-Weirdmaggedon Ford would be okay with.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill's death was what made him open up. Beforehand he was mostly wrapped up with trying to kill him and freaking out over the rift.

>Blendin Blandin exclaimed " I have to go get help!!" when Bill killed the Time Baby, and he never came back.
That never happened, he just said he had to get away
>Never explained where Robbie got the fucking hypnosis CD
I believe that was going to be explained but they had to cut it for time

That was the first time I've been let down so hard by a TV show. Usually I'm incredibly satisfied when I finish one (Breaking Bad, Regular Show, Over The Garden Wall) but Gravity Falls left too much fucking opened and handled everything in the final stretch of nine episodes horribly. They introduced too much and didn't finish or explain any of it.

And with all these added plot points and lore last minute, character development was fucking botched. Mabel not getting some shit for the apocalypse pissed me off.

This even would've worked tremendously. If Blendin would of come back and Mabel would have felt bad too and apologized and agreed to help for the final battle. But since Hirsch was too busy with a bunch of fucking retarded half baked subplot ideas (Mabel's bubble, which was just stupid and a rehash of a previous episode) there was no character development for Mabel or time for Blendin to help, which makes the whole show feel unfinished especially when

This shit fucking dropped off from the plot. I thought we were going to have some crazy cool shit happening. We could've fucking went to SPACE if Alex would've expanded the show a bit. For a show with a paranormal mystery like Gravity Falls, it's such wasted fucking potential. Everything about the UFO subplot being dropped and the portal breaking just made me mad. The space/technology feel the season 2 trailer gave me was never there. At least Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe satisfied that itch I guess. Never following a Disney cartoon seriously again. They can't even have a character be injured or anything or get dark about the subject matter.

They were never going to go to space. The ufo was just a means for Ford to get a hold of certain technology.

Still wasted potential man, I know it's a meme, but Hirsch is a fucking hack. A HACK with a capital H. Why write such an uninteresting arc for such wonderful characters and such a great world?

I got sick of Mabel by the end of it.

A lot of people were

I foubd it kinda weird that, despite the first two episodes of Weirdmageddon being based almost entirely on finding and rescuing Mabel, she barely did anything in the finale and ultimately caused more problems than she solved.

not enough mystery, too much romance that didnt pay off.

Nope.

Keep damage controlling
He took it way more seriously than "oh it's just for kids"

It's time

>say it's time
>only post one pic

I was waiting for the other guy

It tasted like my screen, just like any other show.

this nigga said it right

it seems Hirsch thought it was interesting enough;
maybe he rushed it a bit. maybe we should've gotten season 3, and Weirdmageddon at the end of that. but Disney treated the show like shit, so Hirsch did the most reasonable thing: ended it himself. If he ended Season 2 on something else and left WMD for Season 3, we might've never even gotten Season 3, and it would be just another unfinished show.