Castlevania Show's Adi Shankar: Next Project is Dark 'Power Rangers' Reimagining

animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-02-10/castlevania-show-adi-shankar-next-project-is-dark-power-rangers-reimagining/.112052

> Producer Adi Shankar said in an interview with gaming news website Polygon that his next project, after the upcoming Castlevania series for Netflix, will be an animated series reimagining the first three seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

> Shankar describes the series as R-rated, and "darker than any other Power Rangers series." He also said he wanted to move away from the monster-of-the-week format of the original series. He is working on a script and hopes to launch the series within the next 18 months, though he does not yet have a network.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well shit, there's actually something that'll be worse than the 2017 movie

So, they want to make EVA?

Yeah well we'll see how those plans hold up after the film tanks.

Adi Shankar is a giant faggot. Castlevania is going to be shit.

fug

>let me take this lighthearted franchise meant for kids and add muh violence and muh darker tone
I'm so tired of this shit. Make your own fucking IP.

that one crude animation about Judge Death was nice. But yeah, anything that comes from a poo in loo wearing faggy make-up won't be an oscar winner.

>5 trips
this is a message isnt it?
god damn.

Well fuck you guys, I think this sounds great

Welp, looks like the guy who kept making the "should power rangers have a cartoon" threads memed this into reality.

>take a series whose only appeal is to kids or the camp factor
>make it dark and edgy

>I want to make a Castlevania cartoon thay's really dark, gory, and edgy
>I also want tk make a Power Rangers cartoon, and make it R-rated, dark, and edgy
Is that the only thing he knows how to do?

Castlevania IS dark and gory. Power Rangers is just puzzling. Why do so many people want edgy PR? That concept seems to come back with PR way more than any other franchise.

> they could make american akibarangers
> make this instead

whatever.

When will the "make everything dark" fad end?

I'm curious where it started.

>Dark
>Power Rangers

>Why do so many people want edgy PR?
It's an interesting idea that you can get a lot of mileage from, and aside from Agony in Pink, it's never really been done well.

>A dark and edgy animated version of Power Rangers

This doesn't need to exist.

Nearly 40 years of Super Sentai and Toku in general show that going edgy is never profitable.

>Nearly 40 years of Super Sentai and Toku in general show that going edgy is never profitable.
In Japan.

Why not adapt straight from the source?

RPM had a pretty edgy setting/villain, but they still understood that Power Rangers at its heart is light-hearted.

Cause the old seasons were squeaky clean 90s shit and people want to see that defiled.

>darker and edgier

Christ

There was already Samurai Flamenco which was sometimes trying to be dark and edgy super sentai (it's not great).

Like that matters. The Japanese Sentai shows were already darker than the English versions a lot of the time, and THEY toned them down because it wasn't profitable. Experience is experience.

SamFlam was basically just Kick Ass but focused around Kamen Rider/Super Sentai.

and they completely ruined what could have been an awesome show, but they needed 'edge'.

most likely the nolan batman films.

Not really, no
It varies wildly, in recent years alone Fourze was a top seller, but so was Gaim, and Ex-Aid and its schizophrenic tone seem to be doing just as good

lolno, you can thank one Frank Miller for that, and it wasnt even intentional

>Adi Shankar
>Still has that Power/Rangers shit in his system
So much for Castlevania being good.

Wouldn't Toei have to sign off on this? I don't think they'd go for it, they didn't even let Disney make a PR cartoon.

It's existed since before you were even born

>Shankar describes the series as R-rated, and "darker than any other Power Rangers series." He also said he wanted to move away from the monster-of-the-week format of the original series.
So he wants to make Power Rangers...by NOT making Power Rangers?

He's going to make the yellow ranger transgender. Screencap this.

This is the one time I want Saban to work his Jew magic, to prevent this from happening.

youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

He already made this and people ate it up for some fucking reason.

>Why is everyone upset? If you grew up on Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, you should love this. We're all adults now, so it's more mature.

Oh my god he does not get it.

>even if the shitty movie fails we won't be free of edgy Power Rangers

Is this some kind of such joke?

Fuck off, Shanker.

SF was great, the fuck are you on about?

Adi has all the ingredients needed to hate him but I really can't. He seems like the kinda dude you can just hold a conversation with over a round.

>Samurai Flamenco
>not great

Cool, i really hate how dumb and lazy thos board is, just casuals and manchildren wanting everything to be exactly as they remember it.

There's 40 years of Super Sentai for fucks sake, a different version doesnt change that or the future of the series.

Good for Adi shankar, i hope the new movie does well.

Holy shit, enough with the "we need to make Power Rangers dark" shit already?

Power/Rangers was a fucking joke. Goddamn I'm so glad Sentai exists so I don't need to pay too much attention to this shit

Toei would literally never let a PR cartoon happen let alone a dark and edgy one

>Cool, i really hate how dumb and lazy thos board is, just casuals and manchildren wanting everything to be exactly as they remember it.
This is the kind of post from someone who does not actually like Power Rangers

Use your big boy words user. This isn't tumblr

Your post is from a casual that loves going not muh. I can imagine idiots like you sperging over Ultraseven being to edgy

Just once, I'd like someone to re-imagine a non MMPR season.

Hell, Dairanger suits could be expanded upon and they would be stepping on any preexisting toes, for example.

Personally, I'd kill for Jetman.

If Saban had the money, the patience, and the care....they should do Gorangers.

It's just a lot of fun, and kinda like RPM in not pulling punches.

I doubt it'll tank. It'll probably pull a damn transformers because people love that kind of shit they can turn their brains off to and quiet the kids.

If the Power Rangers movies *does* tank, it's hard to expect this to go anywhere.

And even if it doesn't tank, it would have to out perform nearly every other big time 'super hero' movie to get the Toei and Bandai suits to even THINK about being willing to hand over their important brand to be re-imagined into something dark and brooding.

Shit, dude, just get the rights to Garo or something; they already made a dark PR-a-like over in Japan and it certainly performed well.

>if
It's Jem and the Holograms 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Only this time someone's going to lose their ass over it cause this shit didn't cost just 5 million to make.

Let's compare a power rangers toy from 2 decades ago with one from today.

Which of these two would you buy for your child?

Honestly, this should be clear that the original was never made as a "parody", but as a serious attempt at making an edgy fanfic.

You don't remember Power Rangers New Powers?

Please be killed in preproduction after the movie tanks. Please.

I didn't say how BIG of an if it was.

My expectations are as follows: it will have a good-to-great opening weekend/week to at least some degree because of nostalgia driven audiences and *maybe* the kids.

Past that, because there's a good chance the plot will mostly be some plodding Dawson's Creek (or whatever teen drama show is all the rage these days) bullshit with sci-fi seasoning, the movie will need to balance other factors in order to save itself.

The two selling points the movie *needs* to succeed are for the drama/teen parts to not suck *as* bad as we're expecting and--this is the really tricky part-- the suit and robot fights have to be God-Tier. As in "don't follow the first movie's example and give us one mook-fight, no suit fights for the rest of the film, fuck the ninja garb fights, and then top it off with a lack luster robot fight. If this movie crams the action into two points in the film, then screw it, it's going to crash and burn.

Actually, who the fuck at Toei would even greenlight this shit in the first place? Sincerely hope its just more of that bootleg shit, since Saban loves clamping down hard

He should just do Skullman

>Skullman
Fuck. Yes.

>Sup Forums in charge of reading

He says he wants to do a dark power rangers "type" project. Meaning not actually Power Rangers.

>in charge of reading
He literally says he wants it to be a retelling of the first 3 MMPR seasons

>watch first few episodes of SF expecting light hearted drama+toku
>get /y/ instead
It was weird

> first few episodes

what? It doesn't get gay until after the change in tone.

What the fuck is his problem?

It genuinely annoys me that people loved this and unironically want 'grimdark' Power Rangers. I don't get why people actually want that in a Power Rangers show, when PR has always been lighthearted, childish fun.

It's pretty gay since the beginning. The character designs made me think it wasn't gonna be a bromance type thing.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my cup of tea at that moment. I might finish it eventually.

Also,

>MMPR AGAIN

Fuck, there are other PR shows. Or even just make a new team.

Japs need money because their economy is sinking ship and not enough kids being born. So whatever suit greenlighted this rationalized no harm in having spinoff cartoons so long as they get their check.

>Castlevania
>Light-hearted

Castlevania has always leaned more on a teenage demographic, in recent years they've been skewing adult.

>Edgelords can't let children have anything
>Always have to fuck things up by demanding they mature or injecting the politics into it.

>Actually, who the fuck at Toei would even greenlight this shit in the first place?

It's literally free money. All they have to do is send Saban their own props and costumes.

Eh the short he made was gritty but it wasn't just some lazy spoof with blood and sex all of his bootlegs seem to be made with some respect for the original story.

He probably meant Power Rangers, bro.

I think it would be pretty cool if a reimagining of the early seasons did something they couldn't do if they were reusing sentai footage, namely change the helmets to match the Thunder and Ninjazords (which is to say, use the Dairanger helmet designs), but from the neck down kept the diamond suits and belt morphers.

Castlevania's main draw for me wasn't ridiculous levels of blood and gore. It was the idea of a family line of vampire hunters going up against a nigh-immortal force of evil and his posse of monsters, which includes beings like Death, Medusa, Frankenstein's creature, and more. I just want a well-written Castlevania cartoon.

There's also this Facebook post from a couple of years ago. Not sure how true it is now because the show likely went through changes, but Adi Shankar apparently doesn't get why people like Castlevania.

Regarding Power Rangers: The current comic book series is a respectable and straightforward adaptation of the series. What I want to see from another Power Rangers adaptation, animated or otherwise, is for them to embrace the dumb fun of the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers show and go a bit crazy. The live-action movie should have been directed by a guy who loves giant robots and campy stuff in general, like Guillermo Del Toro or somebody similar who shares his sensibilities. An MMPR animated series should be half Voltron: Legendary Defender and half Gurren Lagann: An active recognition that, yes, this series is based off of heavily re-writing a show from Japan, and a willingness to go a bit crazy with the core concepts of Power Rangers and giant combining robots.

When Tim Burton magically doesn't make Batman a massive pop culture success back in 1989.

>An MMPR animated series should be half Voltron: Legendary Defender and half Gurren Lagann: An active recognition that, yes, this series is based off of heavily re-writing a show from Japan, and a willingness to go a bit crazy with the core concepts of Power Rangers and giant combining robots.
Hell fucking yeah.

Why does the mastodon Zord have eight legs and a web shooting out of its ass?

Saw this bad boy at the toy store.
Should I go back?

'Cause obviously, the important thing to emphasize when an alien wizard comes to Earth and deliberately bases his robots on prehistoric animals is that they look more alien, rather than like the actual animals they're based on.

>Dark and Gritty power rangers

I like Garo and Kamen Rider Amazons.

but I don't know how I feel about this

He's an alien this time.
Full alien.

not gonna lie though

this did make me want to have a human character as a villain

not an alien
not a human faced monster

just a human that fights the power rangers

Real talk though.
Is this guy the Indian Max Landis?

> made me think it wasn't gonna be a bromance type thing

Oh, so you havent seen the end...

>No "I'll make your monster grow" Rita Repulsa card
I am disappoint.

So this Shankar guy is just some edgy deviantart fag with too much money?

>Let's have a bro-mance

What did they mean by this?

Nope. Do they fug? I bet they fug.

Hang out. Give each other brojobs. Typical bro things.

love is confessed but in the end the phone delusion continues

Really the series went too long past the Kamen Rider phase. Though its lampooning of motives of love to drive the hero was funny.

Same with KLK with if you remember its a parody.

>Dark PR
So The Guyver, Zetman, Kamen Rider Amazons, GARO, and that one Rider show that took inspiration from The Guyver (kinda went full circle.

I'm only going for legacy Morphers. Picked up the reissue of the MMPR standard. Looking to get Dragon Next.

Actually, I think that would be a pretty clever throwback to the original Super Sentai, where the Yellow Ranger was a man. It might not be a good idea, but again, it's clever.

Garo in Hollywood hands? Fuck that noise after seeing how GITS looks.