Is post-9/11 Frank Miller a bad artist?

Is post-9/11 Frank Miller a bad artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If he isn't, his style is ugly.

>those hands

That's an especially bad pic from several books of ugly art, but I'd still be happy to draw that well with that consistency, at least that way I could make comics, however unattractive the art might be.

He didn't use to be. His style just became a parody after awhile.

I think Miller's art has been pretty okay in the TDKRIII minis that's inside all issues.

I think he's declined somewhat, but his art still has some of that aggressive, dynamic feel to it. Modern colouring doesn't do him any favours though

This particular mini has the benefits of a great colourist and inking done by Klaus Janson.

>unattractive the art

I realize that apparently the guy had some sort of illness that impact(s) (ed) his ability to draw but graphic novels and comic books ARE visual mediums - when people do shit like complain about HOUSE STYLE and/or POSER, etc. when it would otherwise appear acceptable as art (as opposed to ugly, unattractive or dimensionally incorrect) is to misunderstand what comic books and GNs are.

He's a good artist that proved many times to be one of the masters of the genre... then he decided to experiment, go places people didn't expect him to go, and his new style is the result.

There's a difference between an artist that can draw and then decides to make things look ugly, and a guy that can't draw and makes shit. You picked DK2 as an example: his layouts and the structure of his pages are still 10/10 in that book.

Also, here an interesting link:
harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

I kind of agree with Frank when he said that modern art in comics has gotten too realistic. When I got into comics, I loved the realistic artists work in various comics, and this style is more or less the norm these days. But more recently, I've come to appriciate guys likr JRJR, Greg Capullo and Frank Quitely a whole lot more. It's just something about that kind of art that speaks to me.

But Frank also thought heroes should have huge hands and feet, something which I'm not really a fan of. His work on TDKR and Ronin though has some of my most favourite art ever.

NOPE.

You're ridiculous.

Holy shit, that guys re-coloring does so much for the art.

Frank Miller isn't experimenting. He is literally going blind.

Yep, modern coloring just doesn't seem to suit Miller.
Do we know why yet?

He is great, you are just a dumb casual

He attacks miller pretty viciously in some of his interviews. Comes off like kind of a cunt. Not that that changes the improvement his coloring makes.

Also, this.

DKSA was kino.

Not that user, but shitty art is shitty art, irrespective of how much comic knowledge you have or how many floppies you've read, dude.

I agree. I remember people shitting on it, but I felt like it was next level stuff, sloughing off the unnecessary parts of the medium, as much a descent into Miller's madness and Batman's. It also pushed me to work on a simpler, blockier style that was all about storytelling, not acting like a human xerox machine. I get that you might be trolling but IDGAF

We all have opinions, user. Your 'shitty art' is someone's Guernica. Your views are as valid as mine or anyone's. Your unlikely to persuade anyone that something they liked a minute ago is shit now and the reverse is true of me, I don't know why I bother

I used an ironic term unironically.

Glad to hear it. It's hard to tell around here sometimes.

>harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it
Holy shit, this dude gets it. So good