Umm... wtf did I just watch?

Umm... wtf did I just watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rMMX8dkbXEU
therobotsvoice.com/2015/01/7_reasons_we_dont_need_guillermo_del_toro_at_the_mountains_of_madness_lovecraft.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lost highway

looks like another redditor got LYNCHED hehe

Mulholland Drive except with a dude.

And in reverse.

Lynch's 2nd best film
And Patricia Arquette getting naked a lot

the best Lynch movie

also this

A psychogenic fugue in a Möbius strip.

In other words: kino

Kino

I'm not even a huge Lynch fan, but this was the first movie I saw of his and I love it. It's got a great atmosphere and it's a good mindfuck without some sort of trite twist like so many other "mindfuck" movies.

Mystery Man: We've met before, haven't we.
Fred Madison: I don't think so. Where was it you think we met?
Mystery Man: At your house. Don't you remember?
Fred Madison: No. No, I don't. Are you sure?
Mystery Man: Of course. As a matter of fact, I'm there right now.

The soundtrack is great, too.

Was Mr.Eddie too fast for you?

I think Lynch is arguably the most effective horror director of all time. I can't think of anything as frightening as the Winky's scene in Mulholland Drive or this scene from Lost Highway where Paxton talks to the man standing right in front of him on the phone in any other film.
Lynch's horror works because it's not shocking, it's upsetting.

youtube.com/watch?v=rMMX8dkbXEU
this scene is the most scary from LH
it's scary as fuck

Lynch is all about building a creepy atmosphere at a deliberate pace through things that range from subtle oddness to outright high strangeness. Everything is off-kilter, like a weird dream.

I wish more people made movies like this.

He directs a couple of good creepy scenes, but he's hardly a horror director.
Look at Inland Empire - it's meant to be unsettling throughout, but it rarely succeeds.
Maybe Lynch is the most effective at it, but that really just means the other directors are pretty shit.

>it's meant to be unsettling throughout, but it rarely succeeds

Nigga, what?
If IE excels at something, that is being unsettling as fuck.

It's his most unsettling film, but it's dull and loses a lot by being 3 hours. The flickering light scene is a great example of it being unsettling.
A lot of the film isn't unsettling though.

I've been saying for years Lynch could properly do a Lovecraft film. He would nail the atmosphere.

Gnosticism.

It would be interesting to see him try, but he's never done a creature feature before, has he? I've not seen many of his films, just Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. I have Blue Velvet downloaded, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.

David Cronenberg probably could've made a great Lovecraft movie back in the day.

He's done creature features before

>he's never done a creature feature before, has he?

He has a thing for odd creatures. See: Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Dune and Twin Peaks S3

>It would be interesting to see him try, but he's never done a creature feature before, has he

The atmosphere is more important to do Lovecraft properly than creatures. That's why everyone loved season one of TD so much.

MOMMY!

Well, fair enough.

I agree that atmosphere is a top priority, as fear and madness play a major role in most of Lovecraft's stories, but Hollywood has only ever been keen to take a look at adapting the stories with lots of "monster action." Del Toro's shelved adaption of At the Mountains of Madness is the most obvious example.

I get the feeling that we'll never see a proper big screen adaption of any of Lovecraft's stuff. Maybe Netflix would greenlight something, but I don't really trust Netflix to not fuck it up.

>Del Toro's shelved adaption of At the Mountains of Madness is the most obvious example.

Goddamn that script was awful.

I never read it. What about it was bad?

Hi @BeerStix!

This sums it up pretty well

therobotsvoice.com/2015/01/7_reasons_we_dont_need_guillermo_del_toro_at_the_mountains_of_madness_lovecraft.php

Well, good thing this never got made. Bullet dodged.

Pure kino.