Laser-sharpened to the width of a single molecule

>laser-sharpened to the width of a single molecule

There are structural problems with this scenario.

Other urls found in this thread:

technologyreview.com/s/420220/the-science-of-a-sparkling-shave/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah but it sounds cool

Didn't Byrne do that first in Alpha Flight?

>your sword literally dulls as you swing it because it can't handle air resistance

I remember watching this episode for the first time ages ago and thinking the same thing.
Even if it was vibraniun or some other made up metal, being one molecule thick would cause it to bend or break on impact with just about anything.

More distracting for me is having to suspend disbelief about a woman being a credible threat to anyone.

She's a blue-skinned magical zombie assassin, user. I feel like her structural and scientific problems extend beyond her sword.

I don't think breaking is the issue so much as it is dulling.

Cutting power and sharpness longevity are inverse figures. The sharper something is, the more cutting power it has but it stays at that sharpness level for less time because with each cut, you shave off some material that keeps it sharp. If you have a microscopically sharp blade, you could probably cut one inch into just about anything before all your sharpness gets shaved off because it has no structural integrity at that width (and that's assuming it could even survive the friction of the air, as said).

I wish there was more of this girl. She gave me a boner as a kid

That's not inherintely true. Obsidian blades can hold a ridiculous edge, and due to their cleavage, they remain sharp. Down sides are they are crazy brittle, which means in company they can snap to easy and for surgery they leave to many "I can literally slice DNA strands" shards to be useful.

I wish I knew science. I just sit there like a moron eating up this ridiculous shit because I genuinely don't know any better.

Her second appearance was disturbing as shit. That poison that completely destroyed the other assassin's minds while leaving their bodies alive, effectively creating living corpses, was fucked up.

There are structural problems with your face!

At least one part is right. If you wanted to sharpen something as thin as possible, a high-powered laser would be the way to go. The amount of directed heat you could impart onto a surface would be enough to get it down to a fine edge.

You are thinking traditional cutting tools and steel blades. These have a macroscopic cutting edge, microns in edge which is billions of atoms. As anoth user said Obsidion blades can actually get to one atom thick at the tip. But they ar brittle and hard to find.

Easy solution is graphene. Each sheet can be one atom thicker so you can cut even DNA in half. This is not far away, graphene is fucking amazing but the creation of it has been slow

Aren't there surgical tools made out of tungsten, I think, that are sharpened to the atomic level?

Byrne is a pedophile and should never be used as justification for anything

This is a neat thread.

You're legitimatly a better person and more fun to be around because of it

No need to be the fat fedora scoffing in the theater every time a gun clicks superfluously. Even they are superior, as guns are a real thing, to the kind of autist who complains about the star wars blasters or lightsabers being """"" unrealistic """"""""

ALL diamond bits are atomic. Tungsten doesn't compete.

Hell, keep in mind this is published in science but hightly criticised. They made one diamond a hole and the other an atom pincer and supposidly made hydrogen a solid metal. I am very sceptical but even coming close using atomic diamonds is amazing

And you should litterally die. A person who has no knowledge of science or politics or economics or even artistry, is a rain on all of us. Why do you thibk the smartest want to leave for mars? Cause earth is already fucked

they have vibroblades for surgery. also graphine is graphinite that has been shaven down to the point its an atom thick, and its the next super material up there with aluminium. only problem is harvesting it effiently and not with duct tape, which is how it was found.

Good job with your spelling.

Duct tape is best for large atomic plates, but you can print a near graphene with 3d printers

That's not true. He acknowledges that it has left him in a less than ideal position. People who just shit on others because they feel like they are part of a master race of intellectuals who can see the truth have done more damage to the world than anyone else. Learn some compassion and practice your writing skills, nigger.

Or just my phone. I need to figure out a good swipekey type program. All have been bad so far

Hilary Clinton was a very credible threat to the entire United States.

Awareness is always the first step to improvement. Just torrent some basic science books and get studying!

And conveniently gets around the whole BS&P "no slicing people with swords" thing.

Do you have any recommendations? I have dyspraxia so non-verbal subjects have always been a problem area for me. Nonetheless, physics was always my favourite branch of the sciences in school and the one that came the most naturally to me, so I'd love to make a start there.

In a russian science fiction book "Princess is worth dying for" there were atom sharp blades that you have to sharpen mid combat, like 2-3 times mid fucking swing, by pressing a button.

Yeah. Another case where the attempts at censorship made it far worse.

or you could use a computer

this is what i assumed hers did. if she had a sheath i would say it did that for her, but with that curved tip you couldn't have a sheath could you

Not that user, but YouTube has many basic science lecture for free. Just pick a subject and go from their. That's how I learned about guns and bullets.

Have you ever seen the forgotten weapons channel?
Love that channel. You should really check it out. Love the history that Ian goes over there.

t. Hasguns and gun nut.

No, but I will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

samefag

Dumb question.
What local area you from if you're comfortable sharing that?

I want to know if you are able to get into shooting sports or not and the laws in your area.

>Someone pulls out a glock
>Sound of a hammer being cocked is emphasized

What kind of molecule we talking about here?

Why not make a vibrating sword covered with a thin layer of plasma? Also, you think Terry would have fair well against a Strider? You do know that there are many Striders, right?

I live in Southern California. The valley area, to be more specific.

In America, the shotgun is an amazing weapon. When touch the shotgun, it is cocked. Loudly. For all to hear. Much louder than you would think logically possible.

When you hand the shotgun to someone, it is cocked. Even when the fore-end or the charging handle isn't touched. It is cocked. Again. Loudly. Regardless of whether or not the slide or bolt is locked, it is cocked.

Amazingly, the shotgun can be cocked even without moving any external or internal components. In fact, it can be cocked by being observed carefully and deliberately.

Truly an amazing weapon.

I am so glad SOMEONE on this site feels this way. Jesus fucking christ.

Shotguns don't even need ammunition as they fire completely magically, evident by the fact that anytime someone pumps a shotgun several times without firing to intimidate someone not a single shell is ejected, yet it still manages to fire.

RULES OF NATURE!!

Bad news for you, California's gun laws are very stringent and, if I'm being honest, a little draconian.

At the very least for most semi automatic weapons. Their state laws make it challenging to get weapons and ammunition as well. But. Don't lose hope. There are still many options available to the novice including bolt action, pump action, and lever action un affected by many of their bizarre laws.

That makes sense, most of my family hunts for fun and I have used a shotgun a few times.

Honestly, depends on how into it you are. People are /sci/ will call you a fucking casual but I would start with Teach12 courses. They are done with university tenured profs who have high respect in either the teaching or publication community. As a physicist this is what got me back into science but these are my faves (spelling errors and unknown profs ahead)

>The Dark Universe -Steve Carrol
>String Theory -Proffessor Gates (Probably the smartest man in any of these courses, it's not just string theory but why higher dimensions are likely)
>Quantum Mechanics (Don't remember but teaches imaginary numbers in a way no prof has done well yet, conceptually)

unrelated
>Isreal and Palestine (first look at it that was unbiased and blames everyone in the fucking world.)

I live in WI, and believe it or not, old army surplus guns and AKs have and continue to be used to hunt with, provided you use the proper sized magazines.

The .30-30 cartridge, as you may or may not know was the first smokeless metallic cartridge developed. Very similar to the .30-30 for many purposes is the 7.62x39, which was developed for the SKS and now ubiquitous AK round, though its similar 5.45x39 round is becoming more popular.

In California, the AK platform is most certainly considered an "assault weapon" and prohibited firearm, whereas here, that's a perfectly fine deer rifle. Once again, using appropriately sized magazines. The SKS in particular makes and models and makes is also restricted in California, despite being a fixed box magazine design. Again, the rifle is very well suited to deer hunting and indeed in soviet com-block nations still serve that use today to hunt saiga, elk and caribou. Many of the features prohibited in california are cosmetic in nature for the comfort and safety of the shooter and those around him.

pardon the rant. It's something of an interest.

People who shit on others because they feel that their self-proclaimed lack of arrogance and "pseudo"-intelligence makes them superior to anyone who actually thinks about things have done far more damage than any non-issue they choose to be angry at, but they don't care because they've convinced themselves to be proud of it.

The blade could probably be stabilized with some kind of induced field to keep its structure

The only problem is your autism.

are you insane? were do you think the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" came from?

and willing suspension of disbelief as a whole is kinda bullshit because you could just dismiss everything that is fiction by saying "none of this is real so why should i care about this fake drivel" it's like, you have a man slaying a dragon with magic and everything is fine and dandy, then have a woman do the same thing and thats when it becomes to much to believe?

>mfw humans are strange creatures
i guess i'll never under stand Homo Sapiens

monomolecular blades were a staple of science fiction long before Byrne was around

it's really down to the physical properties of the fictional blade's material rather than any problem of sharpening

"all" it really has to be is flexible enough to avoid shattering when force is applied but hard enough to hold an edge

there's no real benefit to sharpening a scalpel to that degree - anything in your body it couldn't otherwise cut would be handled with a bonesaw (which is basically a sterile angle grinder) or drill, either of which might use diamond dust (but probably won't, due to contamination of wounds as diamond particles fall off)

the "smartest" don't want to leave for mars

people who want to spread their genes around, like DiCaprio, in a one-way trip to colonize - they'd sign up;

people who enjoy a challenge want to go - but that doesn't mean they're the "smartest", even if they hold multiple degrees and professional qualifications;

the main people who want to go - the ones who are doing the most talking about it - have never been shy of saying they'd ignore all international treaties immediately, ignore any kind of worker rights and basically have martial law from the get-go, because turns out rich people are craaazy

now, if you fell into either of the previous two groups but knew enough about who's likely to get there first - as a colonial concern - would you seriously want to go to mars?

that's a good question. isn't metal characterized by not having discrete molecules or even atoms, with instead atomic nuclei floating in a shared sea of electrons?
in any case, pretty sure it's .. iron? or some spaceage metal

most of us do, we just don't say anything because why bother

in fairness, pistol-grip shotguns (the coolest kind) have one of the most cryptic ammo storage locations ever: what looks like a second identical barrel under the first. even more weirdly sometimes there ARE double-barreled under-over shotguns

fraid not, we're the ones that are right
you can tell because we don't change our minds. if you change your mind, it means you used to be wrong

Oh shit, this could be an actual reason to justify that stupid Iaido style the japs are so fond of.

The saying came from the fact that women have the pussy card.

"Oh my scorned wife is angry at me. Guess I won't get to fuck her tonight. So lamentable."

>muh aural realism
I'm sure you're annoyed when punches don't sound like weak slaps, gunshots don't sound like fireworks, and far-away explosions are in sync.

There's a time and a place to fuck with the established tropes of cinematic sound design, and I won't pretend that I don't rage every time a movie computer makes a superfluous beep. But the reasons behind these tropes are that they don't care about realism -- they care about how the sounds make you feel. Mixers can't make audience's ears bleed, nor push a heart-stopping shockwave through their chest, so they make up for it by adding thunder and LFE shit to explosions. Gunshots should FEEL loud without giving you tinnitus; punches should FEEL painful without you actually getting punched in the face.

Anyway, it's mostly about storytelling. You take shortcuts to express events as quickly as possible. Sometimes that means playing to unrealistic expectations, rather than giving the audience a lecture for every gun cock. Unfortunately, most people are retarded, so it does become a lowest-common-denominator situation.

As a Mechanical Engineer this pisses me off to no end.
No the blade won't cut through everything like they think it does. Yes the blade will dull in a few seconds of cutting unless made of magic. Yes the blade will shatter unless made of magic.

Blade sharpness is a function of hardness which is normally inverse of brittleness. So the sharper the blade, the more brittle it tends to be. No always true, but true 99.99999999% of the time. The blade would be freakishly sharp sure, but you're not going to cut through steel like butter. The blade still has friction from the cutting process, and the cutting surface will dull super fast from being a thin. That said, I'd recommend avoiding being hit.

This shit and vibroblades piss me off to no end.

What if the reason every gun in a movie makes a rattling noise if it makes even the slightest movement is because they're all actually made by Taurus?

check out the bants on this guy.

Yaay. A real pro here. Don't you wish comic writers would do more research on subjects or at least consult someone who is good with math?

I know you're trying to be funny, but consider that a gun in a story is ALWAYS important. It should sound dangerous (and metallic). But mostly, you should never forget that it's there, even when it's offscreen. In real life, being in the situation is enough to remind you that there's a goddamn gun in the room. But in a movie, when you have close-ups and shit obscuring what's going on in a guy's hand [hurr hurr dick joke], you should never forget it. It needs to sound different from when it's not there, to contrast scenes that don't have a gun in them.j

Drama is contrast, sound design focuses your attention. These tropes are stupid for enthusiasts, but for the enhanced world of cinema, they work to tell the story.

I hang out with a lot of friends that are becoming writers.

I get to bitch to them a lot about some of the issues they write about. It's like seriously, there's a fucking Hotline for questions like this. I'm not even kidding. Fucking hollywood need to use it.

This is the most autistic thread I've seen in months. Holy shit, you faggots.

Ok I guess that makes sense.

I'm not super anal about it personally as a gun nut actually - I've actually grown accustomed to "clip" and "bullet" for several reasons.

"bullet" as a synecodoche for a cartridge makes sense.
And clip is just having to adjust to language changing and colloquialisms and slang.

What's the issue with vibration blades?

You forgot who and where you are son. Now go and cool off you hothead.

They work, sure. But they're not damn lightsabers. You're not going to chew through armor but knock around left and right. It helps loosen the blade during a cut, so it slides easier, but it doesn't make the blade magically sharper.

You'd need some sort of chainsaw like effect to do what they do with them. Think something like Kars blade from Jojo where isn't a super small chainsaw cutting at insanely high speed.

Also they will ruin the fuck out of your wrists since the vibrations are said to be ultra high. Imagine if the weight balance was off or the blade was damage, it'd be like holding a jackhammer.

>He doesn't get trigger by >clips
I envy men like you who are free of such autism

Smart and has good taste. Mai nigga. Tell them about the power of science.

>Think something like Kars blade from Jojo where it's a super small chainsaw cutting at insanely high speed.

I need to stop watching Samurai Jack as I type, it's making my writing terrible.

>martial law

I think people confuse passion and autism so much that it has become tall poppy syndrome where they see anybody who tries to learn, improve, or dedicate themselves in any fashion as autistic.

Remember that mediocrity isn't a sin if you're just poor or unexceptional at something. But if you discourage others from reaching their potential because you are jealous and envious of their ability surpassing your own that you would rob the world of a bright mind shining brighter you are effectively removing that brightness from the world and are a bad person.

We've created a society here in America that not only is mediocre, but discourages people to be exceptional. If you want to talk about making America great again, maybe you shouldn't scream at other people and tell them not to do great things.

That has nothing to do with what the guy said. He's envious of someone else not getting upset over people confusing "clip" with "magazine". It is a big fucking difference, but getting pissed about it, even just internally, is straight-up autism.

>getting pissed about it, even just internally, is straight-up autism
I can't help it user, I've spent way too much time on /k/, jerking off to rifles and using cosmoline as sexual lube.

It's okay user. I understand. I don't blame you.

It doesn't bother me personally when people use one or the other. Language changes frequently and sometimes slang will interject and change it as well.

But I can see why it might bother someone else. And there are certainly cases where a disambiguation is actually warranted and valuable.

I can give some examples but I feel I might just bore you.

What is it? Sounds useful.

She's also blue

here's something that may ease your burden.

What if tomorrow, hudson arms for instance, came out with a new handgun and called their magazines clips?

What would you call them?

It would be like having a cellophane blade, it would just flop on top of anything you want to cut with it.

technologyreview.com/s/420220/the-science-of-a-sparkling-shave/
Any time you hear "lasers" in sci-fi change it to "plasma" and it's not that far from plausible.

>And there are certainly cases where a disambiguation is actually warranted and valuable.
Well, that's the problem. In terms of firearms, clip and magazine are extremely distinct. They are completely different things in and of themselves, and they inform massive amounts of information regarding the weapon's mechanics when used correctly. They are not interchangeable.

If you know about guns beyond having played a video game, saying clip when you mean magazine is like saying whiskey when you mean beer. Yeah, they're both alcoholic beverages, but they aren't even close to the same thing.

Magazines, because that is what they are by definition.

Unless it actually did feed from a clip like some kinda of handheld Type 92 machine gun, or maybe an enbloc clip like a Garand.

I do know, and have examples of both magazines and clips, and the difference is important in certain situations. But not _all_ the time. Sometimes you have to understand that language is implicit, largely. And you have to accept that some words only have implicit meaning. In context, they're going to be referring to one as the other. But as long as you know what they mean, the meaning isn't lost.

If no disambiguation is required, then you have to accept there's going to be some overlap in use, simply as a colloquialism.

In this example:
If the retailers, stores, and online sites are ALL calling it a clip, and it's not just a glock magazine (hudson arms just uses glock mags by the way because they're so ubiquitous but just bear with me), and EVERYBODY calls it a clip, and you're the only one calling it a magazine, people aren't going to know what you're referring to and will say, "oh, you mean the hudson arms clip?"

Because they will need you to refer to it by its name. And unfortunately, you and I would have to suck it up and call it by something we know it isn't.

Unless of course it was a massive ass-backwards clunky side loading thing like the bergman no.1 pistol that actually DID load with a clip. But that'd just be silly in this day and age.

Women are fundamentally shitty at fighting and any depictions otherwise should be consider sjw enabling propaganda

Khan Academy, home boy.

>ackchyually us nihilistic atheists want to go to MARS so we can leave the INTELLIGENTLY CHALLENGED here on earth. Has anyone seen my Katana?

This is what you sound like.

Best not be shitting on Iaido, son.

obviously its made of an incredibly hard, yet strong unobtanium that can hold a monomolecular edge, yet retain it over multiple strikes

its the future, they can do that

BAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLD!!!!
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLDD!

You can get the cutting edges of an obsidian blade down to three nano-meters thick and it's still smooth even if you look at it with a high powered microscope.

Metal blades are always jagged no matter how much they're sharpened when viewed with enough magnification.

I'm glad I ctrl+f obsidian before making the reply I was originally typing up.

>unobtainium
>Not the superior ultrastrongium or even dare I say the strongest metal ever fuckshitupium.