Was this show any good?

Was this show any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, but it ends abruptly just as it starts to really gear up.

The opening multiparter is great, but then it slips into entirely episodic stories for a season and a half. It does give origins to a lot of the weirdos who went unexplained in the old show and all the world-building pays off as they introduce different races, environments and mythology aspects. It's just not done at a serialized pace.

It gets great when the Snake Men show up and we the writers get more ambitious. But it ends right when they reveal the origin of the Power Sword and introduce Hordak, so you're left with blueballs at the end.

The toyetic stuff is so in-your-face it's actually pretty funny, but that's what makes He-Man enjoyable.

Sounds just like the ThunderCats reboot.

Yeah just about.

It was fantastic. Perhaps one of the best 80's based franchise reboots.

It took the whole Masters of the Universe mythos to another level.

I wish they just used the original character designs and animation from Filmation then did even better rotoscoping or outright animated He-Man during major plot points or episodes.

Unlike the ThunderCats reboot,the only person who treated Adam badly was Teela and she started to treat him better as the story progressed.

Nope thanks.

At least Adam's transformation in the MYP series made sense.

I remember being somewhat disturbed by this show when they showed one of the main characters brother? being swallowed alive by king hiss. feet shaking and all.

Zodak's brother. And this started the vendetta between him and King Hsss. Man, that was awesome.

This show makes my inner 9-year old squee. It's so fucking manly and awesome.

Show was pretty violent when it wanted to be.

>Keldor getting his face melted off and becoming Skeletor
>Zodak's brother getting eaten alive by King Hiss.
>Zodak hypnotizing King Hiss into having his snake arms eat his own head.
>Hordak killing King Grayskull on the battlefield.

It never felt try-hard with the violence, though, because they still balanced it with all the He-Man silliness like a magical belt that forces Skeletor to be nice or Orko intimidating Rattlor by summoning a giant mongoose, or anything with Stinkor.

Yes it had a good balance between serious and fun at the same time.

Not only the show, but also the comics, which pubblished at the same time period have been awesome too. Oh man i loved the new Sorceress's design. It was even more sexy than the original one!

Yes, it was like if you took the show Justice League and then set it in the world of the original Masters of the Universe. It was very good, but Cartoon Network canceled it half way through the second season and never aired any re-runs despite how popular it seemed to be at the time. CN really raped this show and blamed it on the toy line suffering due to too many He-Man and Skeletor figures being in the toy isles and not enough secondary characters.

It was better than the Thundercats reboot and seemed to be building toward a third season before CN abruptly pulled the plug.

A lot of shows from circa 2002-2003 suffered from Cartoon Network's lack of confidence.

He-Man got heavilty promoted with the first 3 episodes being aired as a movie on Friday night. CN quickly gave up on it, though, and cancelled it outright.

Transformers Armada, which premiered a week later and also got the Friday night movie treatment, was treated better or worse depending on your POV. CN pulled it from Toonami and burned off the last half of the series on the weekday morning 6am slot with no promotion.

CN seemed to have an attitude that if a show wasn't an immediate competitor for SpongeBob then it needed to be scrapped ASAP so they had space on the timeslot to try something else.

A lot of shows were casualties of that era (admittedly, Transformers Armada was shit so I don't care that it got the shaft, but it's the principle of the thing).

Agreed.

And one of the great things of this show, for the first time didn't focus entirely on He-Man, Skeletor, the Sorceress and Teela. Secondary characters like Zodak, Mekaneck or Two Bad had their own backstory and time to shine. The Heroic Warriors, didn't expect everything from He-Man, and worked like a real band of warriors, while Skeletor's crew, Hiss's Snake Men, and the Horde were extremely dangerous and convincing threats, not a bunch of clowns.

Yup.
Fun and interesting rebooted characters. Fun Skeletor.
It was pretty damn cool.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Evil-Lyn also was hot as hell.

And Teela too.

The 2002's sabertooth Battle Cat was freaking badass.

youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y

Keep this crap out of this thread. It's an insult to the 2002 series.

>so you're left with blueballs at the end.
While it leaves the plot it was building to unresolved, I would argue that the final episode, which features He-Man in an all-out battle to the death with a giant, three-headed snake god, is a pretty fucking metal finale.

Prick.if it wasn't for this you wouldn't have that pile of shit you have a hard on for.

If it wasn't for the toy line and the mini comics, you mean my ignorant friend. The Filmation cartoon was garbage.

No. This heap of shit was garbage. Terrible sound. Shitty stories. Just a Fucking pile of shit.you cuntsmear.

Oh and check em. Cunt.

Get your shitty taste out of here, you nostalgic faggot. What story the Filmation crap ever had? It never had story, not continuity, nothing. It was made for 4 years old,.

Obviously cartoons back then were less sophisticated but it was still good for the time and for what it was. If it wasn't for the popularity of the original cartoon the reboot would never have happened. Don't shit on those who came before you, it's low-class.

Then you should do the same. Because without the mini comics and Mattel's toy line, you wouldn't have any cartoon either.

One reason....Toy sales...bad ones actually.
And executives.

>But HE-Man did have a good team behind it if I recall

The Filmation He-Man looks so fucking terrible and dated, how does it have fans. Fucking nostalgia.

I know, I didn't disrespect the mini comics or toyline, so what point do you think you're making?

Look, all those old cartoons had comparably bad and childish plots, GI Joe, Transformers.. if you read the comics of GI Joe and Transformers from the time period they were a thousand times better. But still these franchises wouldn't have continued for so long and generated so much content and characters if not for the cartoons, which could then be used and improved on in reboots and comic books. So it's just dumb to shit on the original series. If you don't like them, fair, but judge them by the standards of their time not today's standards. Even as they are they have some gems.

Yes, it's very underrated.
I fucking love that intro

My point is that pne year before the Filmation cartoon, there was something which started the MOTU franchise, and it was better from the water downed version. The MOTU mini comics had better more Fantasy based plots and this awesome Sword and Sorcery feeling that Filmation threw away

And something else, you ask for respect for the Filmation cartoon while you are posting a video that makes fun of it, just saying.

Zodak was one badass motherfucker. One of my favorite characters from this show.

Anything related to He-Man is good.

Can't go wrong with Kirbyesque Sword and Sorcery.