>user, no one cares about Watchmen

"There were Batman movies before Dark Knight?"

>superman is cool just because he is strong

"Things you've heard casuals say"

"The nolan trilogy are the best superhero movies ever made"

"Is Batman gonna be in the Avengers?"

"Marvel is making new movie, is it Wonder Woman?"

but that's right though

Well they don't even have the best Batman movie, which was* Mask of the Phantasm

*have not seen Lego Batman yet

"My favorite Batman villain is Green Goblin"
she was cute

can't stand the dialogue in older comics

No, it's not. If you can take out all the characters from the comics and replace them with basic spies and cops and have the story not even miss a beat because of it then it's barely a superhero movie at all.

Cool meme!

"Aquaman is so lame!"

>if you like comic book movies so much why don't you want to read any comic books?
>comic books are lame, dude

Maybe in general, but Batman specifically, no. He's the one "superhero" who explicitly isn't literally super (yes yes, he's rich, preptime, etc.)

A very grounded approach to Batman is a perfectly valid one and has been done many times in the comics. Frank Miller, for example, is famous for it in stuff like Year One.

I will literally educate a motherfucker who says this

That's a perfectly valid opinion. All of the various movie adaptations of Batman, from the original early movie serials to the 60s camp one to the Keaton ones and the later 90s ridiculous ones to Nolan took different approaches to the character. All of them also took liberties to varying degrees with the comic source material, omitting some things and adding others to the point that there really isn't any movie that's "non-casual".

I'd probably agree with on Mask of the Phantasm, but I don't think it's a casual opinion to prefer Nolan's interpretation.

>I don't think it's a casual opinion to prefer Nolan's interpretation.
It's the most popular interpretation as of today

Casuals talk about things they say to each other?

Which is fine. Popular doesn't equal right, but it doesn't equal wrong, either.

Nolan's work is very good, and it received enormous praise for a reason. There's a strong case to be made for it.

In fact it would be hard to argue for most of the other movie interpretations. 60s Batman? Burton's two films? Both are interesting in their own way but certainly diverged heavily from the comics too.

Like I said, the animated movies are probably the best pure comics interpretations, and even those have their issues.

>I liked Man of Steel

If you're trying to say that casual = popular and that non-casual = obscure, then the most non-casual Batman movies would be the 1943 serial or the 1949 film. Orders of magnitude fewer people have watched those than any of the later films.

Unfortunately those 40s films are really fucking terrible if you ever get a chance to watch them.

I wonder if the generation that grew up with the Justice League cartoon still thinks this. I feel like this attitude is a holdover from the Super Friends era, which was completely justified because Aquaman WAS lame in that. If that cartoon was your only exposure to Aquaman, you'd laugh at him too.

"You like comic books a lot, you should write your own comics"

What's casual about that? It's nice that your friends encourage you to be creative.

Maybe try it out and see what you can do.

>"Spawn isn't a super hero!'

This may be debatable but it's definitely not true for the first 100 issues.

Yeah, you tell them that he's yet another super strong, durable vanilla as hell hero that lives under water. That'll make them give a shit.

Are you aware of how cringy that is

In my LCS a guy loudly exclaimed to his friend
>ugh Captain America is sooo jingoistic
The guy behind the counter audibly spluttered and started listing storylines like Civil War disputing this, and they just wandered out fairly quickly. This was pre-MCU though.

Poor bait mate

Yeah that was poorly phrased I'll admit

It's cringey but not wrong. How would you go about convincing a casual or non-comics reader that Aqua Man isn't just an underwater Superman clone?

>Owns 70% of the planet
>Rules over an advanced civilization
>Doesn't fit in with either civilization, has to juggle being king, a hero, an emissary, and a husband/father (insert manta joke)
>Has a cool nemesis
>Controls sea life and sea monsters

>He's the one "superhero" who explicitly isn't literally super

Lots of superheroes aren't super, you casual

Idk each adaptation where good for theyr time.

"user I just wanted us to have a nice Thanksgiving, why do you have to act like this? I'm doing my best."

Lol what a casual pleb.

I had sex

Heard the exact same thing from a friend of mine who I let borrow the Moench run of Moon Knight. He got through only the first 2 issues before he said the dialogue was cringey and he couldn't stand it

dude, only fedoras and neckbeards care about that shit

Umm no. The Dark Knight has no black-and-white moral shading. Everything is dark, the tone glibly nihilistic (hip) due to The Joker's rampage that brings Gotham City to its knees-exhausting the D.A. and nearly wearing-out Batman's arsenal of expensive gizmos.
Nolan isn't interested in providing James Bond?style gadgetry for its own ingenious wonder; rather, these crime battle accoutrements evoke Zodiac-style "process" (part of the futility and dread exemplified by the constantly outwitted police). This pessimism links Batman to our post-9/11 anxiety by escalating the violence quotient, evoking terrorist threat and urban helplessness.
The biggest problem with this movie is that large parts are dedicated to a theme that has been done to death by the Left Wing Progressives of Hollywood. The absurd premise of this entire picture is that if you kill someone, no matter the justification, you yourself become the bad guy; it's cliché, it's worn out, and it's just not true. To someone who accepts this pseudo-philosophical garbage, the Dark Knight might have some sort of meaning, but to the rest of us, it's just a rather silly message that turns Batman into a gibbering do-gooder with both hands tied behind his back.
In the real world, a mass murdering psychopath would be hunted down and shot without any remorse whatsoever. No-one would care. There is no grey area here. Instead, in Nolan's fantasy world, killing a despicable killer (even to save others) is a no-no. Batman would much rather keep his 'morality' intact by sparing the killer time and time again - even at the risk of his own life. There are numerous examples of Leftist propaganda in this film, and silly scenes that serve only to give the liberals a warm heart, like the serious criminal who decides to throw away the detonator in order to save innocent lives. GIVE ME A BREAK. I'm not buying that cliché drivel. It's time for Hollywood to enter the real world. This film is an apologist for criminality.

"Batman's a detective?"

The idea is that Dent proves heroism is improbable or unlikely in this life. Dent says, "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain." What kind of crap is that to teach our children, or swallow ourselves? Such illogic sums up hipster nihilism, just like Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World. Putting that crap in a Batman movie panders to the naiveté of those who have not outgrown the moral simplifications of old comics but relish cynicism as smartness. That's the point of The Joker telling Batman, "You complete me." Tim Burton might have ridiculed that Jerry Maguire canard, but Nolan means it-his hero is as sick as his villain.
hen there's narration by Gordon explaining again why Batman is taking the fall for Two-Face, he's telling his son who is the stand in for the audience in that moment. TDR is literally using a child as the audience surrogate at the end. And not in like a 'lost innosense' sort of way, but a 'you're too stupid, let the adults explain it to you' sort of way.
If you fell for the evil-versus-evil antagonism of There Will Be Blood, then The Dark Knight should be the movie of your wretched dreams. Nolan's unvaried direction drives home the depressing similarities between Batman and his nemeses. Nolan's single trick is to torment viewers with relentless action montages; distracting ellipses that create narrative frustration and paranoia. Delayed resolution. Fake tension.

Why do you feel the need to fix someone's opinion?