What is the best film so far this year?

Good Time
Raw
The Beguiled
t. haven't seen Sacred Deer, Sleep Has Her House
A Ghost Story and The Florida Project are both great too
t. not an a24 shill

For me, Get out

Movies that I really enjoyed, but weren't excellent/were otherwise flawed in a significant way
>Personal Shopper
>The Lost City Of Z
>Song To Song
>Dunkirk
>mother!
>Wind River

Power Rangers
BR2049
Guardians 2
The Lost City of Z
Thor Ragnarok
Lego Batman
Logan
It Comes at Night
Logan Lucky
A Dark Song

The Square
The Florida Project
Voyage of Time
Song to Song
The Lost City of Z
Good Time
Logan Lucky

1. Wind River
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
3. It Comes At Night

Honorable Mentions (in no specific order)
>Battle of the Sexes
>BR2049
>Logan Lucky
>A Cure for Wellness
>Call Me By Your Name

1. It Comes at Night
2. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. Dunkirk
5. Baby Driver

Still haven't seen but have a feeling they'd place on the list:

The Beguiled
Good Time
Happy End

Most entertaining movie of the year - IT
Most overhyped movie of the year - Logan

What did you like about It Comes At Night? I thought the director's first film, Krisha, was really good, but this one was a major disappointment. It just seemed like one of those cases where "minimalism" is an excuse to make a movie that has absolutely nothing to say and doesn't satisfy on any level. I guess they successfully created a tense atmosphere, but it led up to nothing at all by the end.

It also follows an obnoxious recent trend in "art-house" where every single actor speaks in terse, stripped-down dialogue with monotone "serious" performances. The movie really pissed me off, honestly. I don't understand why critics were all over it. Should I give it another chance, what did I miss?

Wonderwoman

My top 3 are The Florida Project, Good Time, and the Killing of a Sacred Deer. This year really has been great though. Still haven't seen The Square or Three Billboards which I think will be kino.

isnt that also known as KEVIN SPACEY SEX FANTASY: THE MOVIE?

Dunkirk, for me

Good Time
Bade Runner 2049

everything else is meems

My top 5:

1: Let the corpses tan
2: the evil within
3: brawl in cell block 99
4: you were never really here
5: good time

good year, there's other stuff that I've seen that I really really loved too, and a fair bit I still want to

I would hate to be you.

1) The Killing Of A Sacred Deer
2) Good Time
3) A Ghost Story
4) Dunkirk
5) Song To Song

The Beguiled is really good. It's a slow burner and don't expect a lot to happen. However, it just fucking goes when it starts to boil. Very underrated.

Now, Good Time is more an Alright Time. The cinematography, score, and Robert Pattinson are the crutch that support a film with a script that isn't special in anyway. There is a lot of "this happens, then this happens, then after that this happens."

I just saw The Square the other night, it's really fucking good. Still haven't seen Killing of a Sacred Deer though. I thought Dogtooth was brilliant but didn't love The Lobster, maybe Yorgos's style doesn't translate all that well to English-language dialogue? I still plan to check it out though

>this happens, then this happens, then after that this happens.

seen this criticism quite a lot but am completely confused as to why this is seen as an inherently bad thing, especially when the things that happen are as entertaining and is executed as well as it is?

If you loved Dogtooth, you'll almost certainly love Sacred Deer.

Transformers, pure Baykino

in no particular order
wind river
raw
get out
logan

I still need to see good time, a ghost story, the beguiled and some other movies

>Now, Good Time is more an Alright Time

cuck

It isn't necessarily a bad thing and it does work well with Good Time's accomplishment of feeling pulling an all nighter going from one place to next, constantly running. Yet, once it reached its conclusion, I didn't feel any satisfaction because there was nothing to ponder on and digest.

I don't want you to think that I didn't like the film. It is an alright film that is worth a watch but to say it was the greatest film of the year or in a top five is an overstatement and makes me curious if Good Time will stick around for a year, maybe less than that, for those who praise it.

Nah, I'm good with staying. I find it funny that people shit on Only God Forgives for being all style with no substance but not see that Good Time is very similar The only difference being that Good Time has a little more substance, where Only God Forgives has better style.

I really need to see The Square again. I was vacationing in Iceland when I saw it. The issue being that I was unaware that it was Swedish and the theater had Icelandic subtitles. So, I didn't get much out of it. The chair tower and the disorienting scene with the stairway was intriguing enough though.

My vote is for Florida Project, but the fact that I had a nearly identical job to Willem Dafoe's character at one point makes me biased

anyone seen it?

The main reason I hated Only God Forgives was for the lifeless mannequin performances and stripped-down-to-nothing dialogue. The characters in Good Time all felt authentic and well-rounded and it was a pleasure to follow them through the movie.
Yeah, if you could only follow the English dialogue then I'd say it's worth another look at some point. Ostlund's sense of humor is one of the main strengths of his work

they picked the most chad actor and the most twink actor ever

Wind River and Blade Runner

I unironically only watched Blade Runner 2049 this year. anyone else like me?

desu no one film this year has really impressed me. I enjoyed a lot, but nothing that made me think it was truly great. Twin Peaks Season 3 is the only truly great thing I've seen all year.

No. Why would you be on a film&tv board if you don't watch films?
inb4 you came here for the epic may-mays

Wind River was fucking amazing

blade runner and dunkirk

Watched Good Time yesterday. Thought it'd be overrated but I was really impressed, especially by the acting. That Buddy Duress kid was great.

Song To Song
Dunkirk
Good Time
Wind River
Blade Runner 2049
Shot Caller
Win It All
It Comes At Night
Baby Driver

Ostlund has a sense of humor? Force Majeure was pretty bleak.

I fell out of love with films (as well as sports and and video games for that matter) but I used to watch a lot of movies so I enjoye discussi-
It's actually unironically for the memes. Used to go to Sup Forums a lot, then got tired and got brought me here back in August. I am not kidding

cool hollywood made a film about me, haha

Dunkirk beats everything else I've seen. I still need to see blade runner and wind river though.

Saw:

Killing of a Sacred Deer - liked it, but wanted to love; just didn't

Thor - fun/funny/silly movie; I guess Marvel is going full Guardians with all their movies.

The Beguiled - Great buildup to a really dumb, stupid third act.

A Ghost Story - Loved it except for how obvious and on the nose it got in the last half.

mother! - Hated it. It was like watching someone make a movie out of an edgy teen's first draft of his attempt at a 2deep4u experimental story.

Blade Runner - Liked it. Was a little longer than what the story called for.

Power Rangers - Couldn't finish it. The camera work was horrifying.

Gaurdians 2 - Liked it a lot. Trashy fun B-movie style popcorn flick.

Get Out - Liked it a lot, but the ending wasn't mean enough. It let the audience slide. Kind of undercut the horror element.

Still want to see: The Square, Good Time, Florida Project, Lucky, Raw

I've liked films from the year but agree in that's the only actual "masterpiece" I've seen, the only thing I'm confident will leave an ending legacy

Same. I thought that was kinda the point of the movie.

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

1. Ghost Hunting
2. The Woman Who Left
3. El mar la mar
4. Quality Time
5. On the Beach at Night Alone
6. Dark Night
7. Rey
9. Sleep Has Her House
10. Voyage of Time (Blanchett version)
11. Good Time

>hollywood

I think The Beguiled is overrated. My problem with it is there's no groudedness to Ferrel's character. He apparently falls in love with one, sleeps with someone else, becomes friends with a girl. When he's enraged he's stays enraged for apparently several days. Everything he did seemed badly contrived to move the plot. Some were saying that it's supposed to viewed from the girls' pov but I can't accept that.

>I share a board with people who have seen less than 20 films released this year

Definitely. Force Majeure was 100% a dark comedy, The Square even more so. It's a very Scandinavian sense of humor, and more like satire than outright comedy. Best way to think of his style, both in visuals and writing/performance, is like a nature documentary focusing on human behavior instead of animals

>people in this thread went to see fucking POWER RANGERS in theaters
manchild genocide can't come soon enough

thoughts?

Seems gimmicky, but might be a nice thing to watch at home.

You get out tripfag

I try to watch 50 new releases each year, but this is a really bad year. I’ve seen 13 so far.

It's been the best year for film in a while, even more so for television

John Wick2

I've seen almost 60 and we haven't even hit awards season properly yet. Sort yourself out

i have high expectation for You Were Never Really Here

It will be. I 100% guarantee it.

Agree. Of all the ways to spend your money that's gotta be the dumbest.
What's stopping people to watch a movie every night in the age of the internet?

>What's stopping people to watch a movie every night in the age of the internet?
Shitposting on Sup Forums for hours on end without even understanding why I'm doing this

Anybody here gotten MoviePass? I got it this month and have 2 movies this week and am planning to see way more. It seems like a scam, but so far I've been able to use it without any problems.

>every night
It gets a bit tedious EVERY night. But in January/February I tend to do this.
Agreed though, watching so few films is pretty inexcusable, especially if you spend all your time shitposting on a film board

Here's your answer.
>this nigger paid to watch Power Rangers? Better reply calling him a faggot
>I enjoyed BR2049 but this guy calling it a masterpiece is spoiling it for everyone. Better reply calling him a brainlet
And so on. It never fucking ends.
When I was in uni I used to watch 3 movies back to back every single day. Goes without saying I wasn't studying much.

Get Out

No you

yeah, it's french

Best of the decade so far.

Get Out or mother!.

3 movies every day is too much. You're not really enjoying it at that point, it's just killing time.
You need time to reflect on films and soak it in. It's like running through an art gallery.

Having said, on long plane flights I tend to watch 3 or 4 films back to back

It's incredible, joaquin bashes pedos with an hammer while an incredible greenwood score plays

I do watch a movie every night (or pretty much) but not releases from this year

For the first half of the year it's also very hard to see 2017 films, especially good ones, too

BR not the year , the pat 35 years

I know this feel
I barely remember when I actually used to care about tv shows and movies
at least I still find decent music recs on Sup Forums, but man I don't even have the patience to watch tv shows anymore

A Ghost Story
The Killing Of A Sacred Deer
Blade Runner 2049
Baby Driver
Get Out
Dunkirk
Logan
John Wick 2
Split

Why do you use a tripcode
Do you think people care about you?

Wind River best movie/actor
Best actress who knows surprisingly maybe Aubrey Plaza in Ingrid Goes Wes.

I have it and it's fucking sweet, no scam. And I still get to build up points each time I go to the theater. Has already paid for itself

Good Time and Lady Bird.

Three Billboards look lit and I'm seeing Sacred Deer tonight.

Yes- It's pretty good.

More straightforward and less bleak than Leviathan. Simple but effective.

Unironically this. still don't get how audiences can be so pleb

>Force Majeure was pretty bleak.

huh? it was very funny and showed why society today is fucked up

>the stall

I'm going to watch that tonight. Is it any good?

I haven't watched a new movie since like 2012

The Killing of a Sacred Deer, so far anyway. I haven't seen Blade Runner yet though.

My problem with this movie was that I was expecting a bit more than just a simple slow-burn romance (which is maybe a bit unfair on my part), and the monologue where Michael Stuhlbarg essentially explains the themes of the movie was touching but totally unnecessary and on the nose.

The end credits shot with Sufjan's "Visions of Gideon" was 100% kino though.

BR2049
Good time
The killing of a sacred deer
It comes at night

I can understand the criticisms, but at the same time I don't know what people were expecting. It was exactly what I wanted from a Luc Besson space opera, I liked it a lot

How is it compared to Fifth Element?