Why after almost 20 years hasn't a single battle scene in a war movie topped this?

Why after almost 20 years hasn't a single battle scene in a war movie topped this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fuaSi-H0oGY
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1509902374847.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-qe_jGGxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i rewatched 2 days ago right after rewatching Black Hawk Down. very interesting experience

Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan will foreve3r be the greatest war film and miniseries ever, no one will ever top that

>masterpieces

Black Hawk Down sucks.

Das Boot is a better war film AND miniseries than both of them

t. Schlomo Goldstein

It's not a traditional war film though so they're really not comparable in that sense.

Hacksaw ridge had some moments but overall nah.

Um try again sweetie

>dude germans lmao! I love them because nazi!
This is the only reason people praise that movie here

Spielberg? More like Spielturd!
Close Encounters is his only good film.

13 hours, or whatever that Benghazi movie I though did an interesting job of modern warfare that isn't in Afghanistan or Iraq. It was closer to operator vs operator rather than man vs IED.

Letters from Iwo Jima I recall having some grisly portrayals of war that was original and compelling.

Black Hawk Down cannot be considered because it was not an honest portrayal. IRL, those helicopters strafed those skinnies till over 5000 of them lay dead, amongst I think a couple hundred slain cattle who were caught in the crossfire and innumerable baracades.

Because you don't watch Russian movies?

Just imagine living your life then entering a massive world changing war with fervor and patriotism for your country. Training for months on end anticipating an incredible adventure and testing your manhood for your country. You grew up in bumfuck Kansas and are now in a massive operation about to change the course of history. You made some friendships, gained some respect, left your high school gf with the promise of return.

You get pumped for action. You say a prayer and trust in your training and your mates.

>Land on beach
>Die instantly

Fuck off retard, the one vehemently pro-Nazi in the film was the one that was laughed at by everybody else because he was an uptight robot.

>WW1 style charge in WW2

jesus christ a single machine gun would have halted this

You're a fucking retard, the film shows that the sailors generally don't give a shit about the politics which is one of its strengths.

I've seen 9th Company, that's it.

youtube.com/watch?v=fuaSi-H0oGY
ahem

First time I ever went out paintballing I got shot in the mouth in the opening seconds of the first match.

Come and See, go watch it right now

>waaaah we got called out!
Next you are going to deny you are right wingers and pro nazis. Kids don't even have the guts to be honest these days

i never watched that movie because of the length but i spend a fourth of my day browsing this shitty board and hundreds of hours watching shitty TV shows.

Can anyone speak to that Estonian war movie, 1944?

Ok nevermind, try not to make it so obvious you're baiting on the first reply next time

Why would I want to watch Soviet crafted propaganda?

>anticipating an incredible adventure
>You get pumped for action

pretty sure they were all terrified

Yes user, everyone thought Das Boot is a terrible film before Nazis and alt-rigthers became popular, sure thing buddy.
Dumb brainlet

>All those pink, red and brown Rosie-the-Riveter Roasties waiting for Chad Flatfoot to spawn the hippie generation

meant for

Because the absent of such a scene inspired the people making it and now that such a scene has been produced there is less motivation for amazing people to come together and make something like it

Ruskies have had both world wars fought on their doorstep. Also a large military that had nothing to do but be extras in war movies.

learn to read retard, I never said everyone I was only talking about the people posting here

The first 20 minutes or so of Dunkirk were really REALLY good

THe closest until now was probably Hacksaw Ridge

das boot was talked about and promoted on Sup Forums years before the Sup Forums revolution. its just a great movie dude, calm down.

Because it's a great film

Imagine the impact of learning that Director Steven "Boipucci Spelunker" Spielberg sated himself with the flesh of minors while filming this war kino.

they die in the end of the movie retard

Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima did ww2 kino better,

kino and the speech Mel gives before they ship off

Who cares? They got fucked in the first and shouldn't have won the 2nd on the basis of them being more barbaric and cruel than the Nazis.

We all like to think we'd be some badass action hero but in reality, most of us would die an unceremonious death the instant we saw combat. Same thing with a zombie apocalypse and a nuclear attack.

it's not a war film

if you like brockeback mountain, you'll love das boot

Just imagine if WW1 and 2 didn't happen. The world population would be 20 billion by now.

Hanks and Spielberg themselves did with the Iwo Jima assault in The Pacific.

Generation war had a good attempt as well. Worthy of a mention at least.

This is true but credit where it's due if it was a British sub in English it would be every bit as good. Well maybe not quite as good as the British dominance over the Germans at sea really doubles the tension but there it is.

It's a fantastic film and it doesn't even really have anything to do with nazi ideology. It's about the sailors just doing their job and trying to not get killed.

I bet you think Master and Commander was a gay love story too.

Absolutely terrible camera operating in that webm, shaky cam galore with almost non existant proper framing. The clunky editing doesn't help either

Why do ameriturds act as if the normandie landings were the goriest battle ever? They literally had air and naval support and were fighting against conscripts and inexperienced troops. The real men were battling in the east. Only a handfull of allied troops died, considering the amount of soldiers involved. You have more chances of dying of a heart attack than of getting killed in normandie.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1509902374847.webm

youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-qe_jGGxk
ahem

Any reason why they just stood up from their cover like that?

Yea i agree actually couldn't see which it was before I posted.

the bigger one that gets me are the airborne infantry in BoB

>Rigorous training and considered pretty much as an elite infantryman

>Plane goes up in flames while flying over Normandy and you don't even get to jump

Why Propaganda ofcourse, and SPR and BoB very much are propaganda pieces.

It's true that the Russians were already in Germany on D Day but that doesn't really negate the importance and impact of the Normandy landings. It was the largest military operation ever and will probably never be topped.

It was a sucker punch on a losing opponent sure but when it's the most powerful sucker punch in history it's worth glorifying.

A couple of reasons why you're a retard.
>The Jap attack was a surprise where they used their tunnel system so they appeared out of no where.
>The Americans just took the ridge the day before, as a result they didn't fully utilize the terrain.
>The sheer size of the Bonzai charge meant that even if you had a gattling gun, you wouldn't be able to gun down every soldier charging your position before you got overrun.

Also they did have machine guns set up. The fatal flaw is assuming the Japanese rifles are just for stabbing and can't fire at the gunners. Which is what happened.

Implying the kriegsmarine weren't a bunch of crypto commies.

How do they act like this? Explain.

Inflated ego pieces like SPR and everything ever put out on the History Channel is proof enough let alone any anecdotal evidence people might be freely posting.

The only thing more obnoxous than Americans who act like they won the war single handedly are Russiaboos who act like they won the war single handedly and constantly complain about Americans who act like they won the war single handedly

WE ALL READ THE FUCKING CRACKED ARTICLES, THANK YOU

So because they make movies and documentaries about their battles they have inflated egos. I'm not going to say they don't, but it's not for that reason.

One of the worst war movies released this decade. Gibson is a hack

Dunkirk is pure shit.

>20 years
WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE

>Gets his history from Cracked
You don't have the right to lecture anyone about anything.

This might be an age thing. By the late 90s their was alot of public outrage from Veterans and just the public at large that America was downplaying everyone else from the War effort.

D Day was the worst for this as it was the largest Joint military venture ever and Saving Private Ryan mentions other nations only once as I recall to say that Field Marshal Montgomery was a retard.

Compare that to the Longest Day and you might start to appreciate the frustration.

This shit always leads to a flame war and has done since the 1940s so this will be my last post on the matter.

SPR: trash
Thin Red Line: Kino

most important battle of ww2 was the battle over britain prove me wrong you cant

The battle scenes stand out just for being so hilariously over the fucking top.

The Spitfire visuals were awesome.

I really wish that they made it a Locke remake following the big guy in his spitfire for an hour and a half (aka a mission in almost real time).

So are there any legitimately accurate documentaries or movies that account for the Easter front? I don’t know how trustworthy Russian docs are because of their state controlled media and their sketchy coverups of their operations during WW2

>the thin rezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

It was the coolest maybe but it wasn't a big deal for the Germans so had no real consequence.

It was certainly one of the most important battles in British history but it was a relatively small loss for Germany as at the end of the day they couldn't even mount an invasion anyway and were in no way prepared to do so.

germany lost their air force and air control tho

Dunkirk is pure kino

>muh nazis
You're a fucking retard. My family absolutely hates nazis and most who lived during WW2 were in the resistance against them and even they appreciate and like the film and told me to watch it over a million times.

It's a WORLD War and should be treated as such. From what I can tell Europeans feel like we disrespect them quite a bit and act like we did it all ourselves. This is wrong and I apologize, we were the catalyst to bring the end though. I think some of the "America did nothing" shit is trolling or frustration. Some people were highly brainwashed though remember that.

I think the EU vs. NA is the most toxic thing on the internet. A little banter is fine but trying to create a European version of history which ensures somehow that USA is like a mosquito effect and everything USA has ever done is of little to no consequence is extremely uncalled for.

Again though America probably started all this with the braggadocio so I am sorry. I just wish that EU and NA could go back to a fun banter rather than some childish emasculation or trying to literally rewrite history where EU is some shining Heaven on Earth.

this. Das boot is less about war and more about ALARRRRRRRRM and bare asses and men in tight quarters. Absolutely no discussion or commentary on the nature or war, clash of nations or national loyalty

They didn't have air control to begin with anyway. So they didn't actually lose anything.

If the Germans had won the British would have lost their air force and air control. It was they that were fighting to hold on to it. The Germans had nothing really at stake other than leaving the British totally alone to spend their money on more useful shit than replacing downed planes and fucked airfields and allowing the freed up planes to pester targets in France.

The youtube channel Military History Visualised has done a great series on this this year

youtube.com/watch?v=tP0Gbn7vfYM&t=1s

This is the longest video but there are other short ones on his channel. Very interesting to hear an informed German perspective

>They didn't have air control to begin with anyway.
oh didnt know that i thought they were the big guys

You should try watching it with subtitles or in your own language.

>Absolutely no discussion or commentary on the nature or war, clash of nations or national loyalty
Did you just watch a few short clips of it on youtube or what? Everything about the film is about "the nature or war, clash of nations or national loyalty". What do you think is the point of that ending?

Would any of you guys fight a war for your country today?

>fighting a war for your country
>today
My country isn't Israel.

The situation today is far too much complicated that there almost isn't a clear "good guy vs. bad guy" confrontation, you end up fighting for your politicians, not the country itself.
You can fight for your country, survive and win the war and then the people in charge sell and bastardise everything that you fought for in your country and you start to contemplate what did your mates even die for in that war

Yea but they told me to fuck off because my eyesights too bad.

To be honest I would fight a war to fight a war more than go out of my way to risk my life for my country as a concept.

SPR, BoB... all of it pro war propaganda for teens and early 20s and it was REALLY worked on me.

>no because I have eczema, allergies, and asthma and am disqualified from serving in the military

Good post user, I agree.

you've clearly never watched the movie

but this is literally what the japs fucking did. there's a reason why they had mostly abandoned banzai charges by this time in the war- for the reason you stated

SPR had a really cancerous influence on film in general. Very dishonest filmmaking. Basically reverted all progress that had been made in the genre in the earlier decades.

Jesus that shaky cam was atrocious

i mean omaha beach was pretty fucking bad for a good few hours

this is when we invaded Detroit

absolutely. even though i know i would be scared shitless when in the middle of combat, but obviously everybody is

>think its going to be this 'survive in an urban area ww2 scenario'
>just faggot brits on a beach

RAF scenes were amazing tho

>dude gets bisected by MG fire
fucking brutal

>D Day was the worst for this as it was the largest Joint military venture ever
pretty sure that was operation barbarossa

Looks like a fucking videogame