Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

I never see Sup Forums talk about this movie even though it's based on a French comic, Valerian and Laureline

youtube.com/watch?v=BszXhUjJz00

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-W1cuRv6GRw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one? Alright, late night storytime it is, then.

Because Sup Forums doesn't talk about something unless they hate it. And this comic is apparently obscure enough that there aren't enough people here to hate it.

Be warned though, this isn't a Moebius kind of BD, it's very old school, so if you're expecting the kind of visuals you see in the trailer you're in for a disappointment.

I'm excited to see if Besson delivers cheesy fun.
Don't know much about the comics though.

It's not really obscure in France, at least from what I noticed from my visit there. I guess I overstimated how many frogs are in Sup Forums.

Oh, nice. I haven't read the comic, but the movie looks alright. I like Moebius-scale sci fi, and this is the closest I have in live action films right now.

Well, here's your chance to learn a bit more.

I'm only doing the first volume though.

Like I said, the comic isn't quite that big in scale, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

One thing I do love are the colors. Very classic stuff.

The first volumes are kind of basic, it doesn't get deeper until a bit later.

It's funny, the comic is quite feminist and pro-diversity, especially for the time. Sup Forums would have a shitfit over it if it were American and released today.

Sacrebleu! At least post the french version, mate, come on.

So pretty much no one here can read it?

youtu.be/-W1cuRv6GRw
Anyone know if the anime is worth watching?

No idea desu

How many pages is the whole thing total?

I want to know how much of a time commitment I'd need to make before I see the movie.

Each volume is around 50 pages each, and Cinebook has translated 19 volumes so far.

It's not even fucking translated, really?

The most popular frogshit comic with a huge ass movie coming out, and it has even less fan appreciation than unofficial obscure fetish manga?

Honestly I deserve better

To be fair, there's only two volumes left, and you can probably find fan scanlations online.

What's mainstream in France is typically obscure on Sup Forums

Shame honestly, there's a lot of good shit there.

There's also a surprising ammount of well-drawn yet horribly written popular stuff, especially from Italy

The End

Did I like it?

Of course not, Sup Forums doesn't like anything

He looks like a teenager and she's fucking ugly. Bravo Besson, you fucked up again.

>Gating on the Dane
For shame, user. He is literally /ourguy/

So is the movie based on the first two books merged together or did they get the title wrong?

who's Lucy? Sounds like a bank teller.

Been reading and rereading the comics since I was a little kid couldn't even read.

I'm glad the movie is finally getting made after, what, 3 attempts?

thanks man.

I guess they thought City of a Thousand Planets sounded more spiffy.

I don't like Besson, and he's gonna ruin the relationship according to the interviews. Having Valerian as a pervert lusting after Laureline (while the latter ignores him) is painful.
Instead of two hypercompetent agents and one of the best established couples of eurocomics, with a rule-abiding and down to earth Valerian and a more unconventional and fiery Laureline, we'll get the standard hollywood romance where they kiss at the end.

The movie is named after empire of a thousand planet while the plot is adapted from ambassador of shadows. There's no fucking point in doing this, it makes me crazy.

It's decent, but doesn't follow the comics.
It clashes so much with my views of the characters and setting for me to truly enjoy it. The voice acting, in particular.
But if it's your first contact with Valerian, it should be a neat cartoon.

>Valerian as a pervert lusting after Laureline (while the latter ignores him)

That does sound painfully cliché.

C'mon user. Look at that pic, if it doesn't scream Valerian & Laureline to you, there's clearly something wrong with your eyes.

I hate how movies always dumb people down. If they're supposed to be professional they should be pros yet in every movie there's always some idiot on the team. There's always an imbalance, I'd love a movie where everyone on the team is competent and there's no weak links

The GotG guy and Jessica Alba?

>Not a redhead
Dammit Besson, you had one job

Androids 17 & 18, obviously.

IIRC, Besson said that he didn't want yet another redhead after the fifth element (Leeloo being inspired by Laureline, how ironic)

>Besson spends his career making Laureline inspired characters
>Finally makes Valerian and Laureline film
>Can't make Laureline correctly because he's done it so much before it would be cliché
Being Besson is suffering

Shingouz from the movie.

To be fair, they saved each's other ass all the time in the original.
But I suspect Besson is liking his waifu a bit too much to leave some space to Valerian as a character.

>The first woman I fell in love with was probably Laureline. She was totally free and badass and it was a very modern heroine at the time and I was totally in love with her. The guy was also very cool. He’s a little bit pretentious. He always thinks he’s the best in all this. She’s here to say, “Eh, chill.” So I love the relationship since the beginning and that’s what drives me more than spaceship monsters and all this. It was the relationship of the two. It’s really Mr. and Mrs. Smith in space, you know they’re joking, fighting. So that’s what drive me since I’m young is that I love this team. Because they’re cops, super cops, they travel in the space and time but they’re fighting all the time, they’re so human.

Bump

this

>I'd love a movie where everyone on the team is competent
Heat
Seven samurai (sort of)

>I don't like Besson
He's done some good movies but it was a long time ago.

Well, France has a big comics production but a relatively small market. Not that many people read comics there (especially adults) and a big part of the new readers for the last 20 years read mainly when not exclusively manga.

Valérian et Laureline is more known to people who read comics since the 70s- 80s than to more recent readers.

And it's science fiction which is still considered a subgenre by a part of the literary critics.

tl;dr it's not obscure but its fame has long since faded.

This art looks like it belongs in MAD Magazine. I kinda hate this and have no intentions of seeing the movie. All is well in my bubble

I'd hit it.

>This art looks like it belongs in MAD Magazine
Are you implying MAD's art is bad?

I loved the comic, but the film has terrible casting. The leads put me off wanting to watch it.

Bump