Over 70 years on and this is still the best cinematic Superman

Over 70 years on and this is still the best cinematic Superman.

Fleischer Superman thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/superman_the_man_of_steele
archive.org/details/billion_dollar_limited
archive.org/details/arctic_giant
archive.org/details/bulleteers
archive.org/details/magnetic_telescope
archive.org/details/superman_electric_earthquake
archive.org/details/superman_volcano
archive.org/details/superman_terror_on_the_midway
archive.org/details/japoteurs
archive.org/details/jungle_drums
archive.org/details/showdown
archive.org/details/superman_eleventh_hour
archive.org/details/destruction_inc
archive.org/details/mummy_strikes
archive.org/details/superman_underground_world
archive.org/details/secret_agent
archive.org/details/superman_the_mechanical_monsters
youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM
youtube.com/watch?v=9UJphNPwDfk&list=PLhGipfv0juZWw5lM_NyhY1n32UXVSn37Q
youtube.com/watch?v=T2WVlmNqMMs
youtube.com/watch?v=lSIlr2-mw-w
youtube.com/watch?v=d7n3-Ea3BW8
youtube.com/watch?v=gHBwTjJcXss
youtube.com/watch?v=SQgMqf8tV6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=hDRMeeuP3F0
youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fleischer Superman is amazing!

>Superman: The Man of Steel!
archive.org/details/superman_the_man_of_steele

>Superman and the Billion Dollar Limited!
archive.org/details/billion_dollar_limited

>Superman versus the Arctic Giant!
archive.org/details/arctic_giant

>Superman and the Bulleteers!
archive.org/details/bulleteers

>Superman and the Magnetic Telescope!
archive.org/details/magnetic_telescope

>Superman and the Electric Earthquake!
archive.org/details/superman_electric_earthquake

>Superman: The Volcano!
archive.org/details/superman_volcano

>Superman: Terror on the Midway!
archive.org/details/superman_terror_on_the_midway

>Superman: Japoteurs!
archive.org/details/japoteurs

>Superman: Jungle Drums!
archive.org/details/jungle_drums

>Superman: Showdown!
archive.org/details/showdown

>Superman: Eleventh Hour!
archive.org/details/superman_eleventh_hour

>Superman: Destruction, Inc.!
archive.org/details/destruction_inc

>Superman: The Mummy Strikes!
archive.org/details/mummy_strikes

>Superman: The Underground World!
archive.org/details/superman_underground_world

>Lois Lane: Secret Agent!
archive.org/details/secret_agent

>Superman: The Mechanical Monsters!
archive.org/details/superman_the_mechanical_monsters

Best Lois?

Best Lois.

Fuck yes.

I wish Zack Synder could be sat down and forced to watch them all, the character of superman comes across within the opening minutes of a 10 minute short, we're 2 movies in and I can't tell you who the fuck the DCEU superman is - besides the fact that he's a self righteous asshole

Lois is a damsel in distress plot device yes, but she's still a pretty kickass and strong female lead

they're imaginative, the characters make sense and you get a fulfilling story in the space of 10 minutes, something Synder can't even do with a theatrical two and a half hour cut, even with the life support 'extended/directors cut' can't save it

also the red on black logo is beautiful and I wish it was still on his chest today

can't recommend this youtuber enough, he has another excellent video on Batman and X-Men

youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM

Why is that building made of rubber?

Just recently picked up the Golden Age Superman Omnibus and I gotta say we need more classic Superman. Just fun well crafted stories about the amazing visitor from another world using his powers to fight evil

don't wanna shit in your cornflakes but theres a playlist with them all on youtube in HD

youtube.com/watch?v=9UJphNPwDfk&list=PLhGipfv0juZWw5lM_NyhY1n32UXVSn37Q

Have you seen Fleischer bros'animation before? EVERYTHING is made of rubber.

Definitely best Lois.

Damn that suit would've been nice.

I was thinking of picking that up myself. It's a good collection?

Wasn't the Fleisher cartoon what established that Superman could fly as opposed to merely being able to jump really high?

Yes because it was easier to portray

Its exactly what the name says. Collects around 40 of Superman's first appearances in both Action and Superman books along with a few World's Fair features. But you only get the Superman part of every book. The book is fucking hefty, you really feel every dollar when you pick it up. Each page is well printed too on a nice glossy material. I got it as a birthday present so I'm not sure what the actual price is nor do I know if I would personally shell more than 40 dollars out for it, but I'm a stingy bastard so take that as you will. Still, for every dollar you pretty much get one good classic Superman story. Golden Age supes stories also age pretty well. Just a whole lot of earnest fun, y'know?

That suit is so fucking delicious, I just wanna roll all over it!

Why can't we have nice things, Sup Forums?

I think it's around 40 on IST which sounds worth it to me.

TANTATAAAAAAN TANTANTAAAAAAAN TAN TANTAN TA TANTAN TAN TATAN TATATATATA

Wouldn't the building still fall over? It has no foundation any longer and is just balancing there. A stiff wind will knock it over in a few minutes.

I think this was the only time they were actually trying to make a Superman film abut a superpowered alien that helped people and fought badguys.

Everyone else was only interested in making a thinly veiled Jesus allegory full of poorly made symbolism and religious undertones. While constantly having Superman bemoan his cruel fate of being a god in a world of mortals or some shit.

>the way he adjusts his right foot to support the building's weight and then his left knee when he pushes it away
Poetry in motion.

Don't know if this has already been posted, but it's a nice tribute to the old cartoons: youtube.com/watch?v=T2WVlmNqMMs

I really liked what they did with Bizarro.

youtube.com/watch?v=lSIlr2-mw-w

HD, yes, but everything's stretched. I'd rather watch the other vids.

I can hear the theme song

>over 70 years and still the best cartoon based on a comic book superhero

FTFY

I wouldn't mind DC coming out with a "lost tale" of superman taking place during his first year in metropolis (which is basically just golden age style stories)

Christ, i'd forgotten how much the animation in these is fucking gorgeous,

That shop is sex.

>Blu-ray release never

The jungle drums and the one with the fog horns used to scare the shit out of me.

>"Where are the jewels?!"
>"You'll read about it in tomorrow's paper!"

BEST LOIS!

A fucking fan-made amv tells us more about Superman than Snyder's in almost 6 hours.
youtube.com/watch?v=d7n3-Ea3BW8

didnt realise that, at least now anons can pick which one they want to watch :)

I really should watch these, then. I haven't watched any since I was a kid, but I love it when Lois Lane is an actual badass, and a witty one at that. God, I fucking love Lois Lane.

Those are not remastered or in proper hd. They're just upscaled and stretched to 16:9.

There has never been a proper hd or blu-ray release of the series. Gaiam released a BD version a few years ago but all they did was upscale and smooth/brighten it and slap their watermark on it.

The best versions available are the two dvd releases by WB themselves. One as it's own set and the other as sd bonuses on the Superman the motion picture anthology blu-ray set.

They complain about the thousands of people who died in the Supes-vs.-Zod battle in "Man of Steel." Check this out. You even see the cars moving on the bridge when it's hit by a meteor. youtube.com/watch?v=gHBwTjJcXss

>I DON'T UNDERSTAND TONE AND THEME!

I Wish there was an MP3 of this Superman theme. It's so catchy!

There is
>Music of DC Comics: 75th Anniversary Collection
>1. Superman March (Sammy Timberg)

It's honestly such a good fucking theme. I wish it got more love and was used more.
youtube.com/watch?v=SQgMqf8tV6Q

I grew up watching this Superman and the STAS. My dad had old video tapes with this Superman. The current DCEU Superman is a disgrace.

Thanks, user!

This cartoon all on it's own made me a life long super man fan.

Timm's Superman and Lois are better

Thanks for showing me this, user.

Timm Superman a shit, But Lois is alright.

What's wrong with Timm's Supes?

When they reboot the Superman franchise, they should make a movie set in the 50s inspired by Fleischer Superman

They actually had to invent the rotoscope to animate that.

I loved the 75 aniversary short, up to the part where the 90s happened.

youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0

Justice League Action people have good taste.

why doesn't animation look this fluid these days? That's fucking incredible in how realistically he moves.

Because he's animated by Koreans at slave wages?

rotoscoping. the animation is traced over actors making the motions, like old school disney.

same reason that Disney doesn't make 2d films: the wealth is spread too thin. it's a very decadent style of animation and it doesn't pay the bills.

what on god's green earth are you talking about? it has nothing to do with whether or not they rotoscope it you idiot, the heavy metal movie was rotoscoped as shit and it did'nt have nearly the same fluidity. it's all about the talent of the animators and the budget they're given.

old people itt

yes, because liking good animation means you're old

seems like a good time to post this youtube.com/watch?v=hDRMeeuP3F0

god damn dude... i mean when was the last time you saw an animated hand with hatched shading that actually followed the anatomy as it moved? not to even mention how fucking smooth it is.

>Superman directly putting people in danger by punching Zod into buildings
>The same as some object randomly hitting a bridge

JLA is garbage.

go back to your steven universe, gumball, gravity falls memeshit trash show threads, where you and all the other people on Sup Forums that have zero taste jerk eachother off.

Did he always wear a belt?

Superman on the left keeps absorbing the death ray while he battles it.
Superman on the right magically beats back the red electrical arcs of danger!

Nah, I'll stay in the modern superman threads

First image is from action comics #1.

It's a combination of rotoscoping and the strong drawing skills Fleischer artists had.

Fleischer initially didn't want to do the project and so they told Paramount they would require $100,000 per short, a budget that was 4 times the typical budget for cartoons of that length

To their surprise, Paramount agreed to $50,000 per short.

With that kind of budget, Fleischer had everything they needed to experiment on rotoscoping and then some...

Whoa, he just killed that fucker!

>bizarro
>heat vision
>ice breath

So your saying that the only reason we have even the Superman shorts that we do is because of the power of money? Or rather, a budget large enough to encourage experimentation necessary to produce new techniques for film and animation in general that wouldn't have been otherwise possible on a smaller budget.

Bullshit, Superman

The latter

Those aren't cigarettes

damn, literal motion comics

Richard Williams's ads were greats.

Money and time. Theatrical shorts had considerably more forgiving production schedules than modern formats, which is why other cartoons of the era could still look great on more reasonable budgets. It helps to remember that before Snow White, it was widely held by the industry that shorts were the only practical format for hand drawn films.

I love how Fleischer Superman threads are always filled with good feels and animation talk. Good stuff.

>That huge jump from Smallville to New 52

Ooh. Harsh.

Max Fleischer invented the rotoscope. It makes perfect sense that his use of it should be the pinnacle of what it's capable of. Not to mention that when it was new greater care was taken to use it properly (there was an earlier period when Fleischer would more slavishly copy the actors and it looked as uncanny as any bad modern rotoscoping).

Later animators just got lazy or never had enough practice with rotoscoping to begin with.

Some of them are great, but there are some stinkers in there. Like the cave with the hawk-people or whatever.

youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk
This is the first result you get when searching on Youtube, what the fuck are you people doing?
They didn't upload the Famous shorts, but no one likes those anyway.

>Each page is well printed too on a nice glossy material.

They for once got the colors right? Because every new collection with glossy paper that I've seen that has had to deal with old school coloring, it looks like shit.

This is really nice - I remember seeing it before, but it's good enough that it's worth rewatching. Plus, I am glad he threw in references like Sky Captain, where later creators took from Max and Dave.

this was the best version of superman cause he was just a tough son of a bitch that got shit done

there's none of that after school special shit that plagues modern superman

The Donnerverse would disagree with you.

>Blu-ray release never

For some stupid reason, National Publications (what DC Comics was at that time) did not renew their rights on these - not sure if some idiot at National though Paramount owned the rights and should be doing the renewal, or vice versa. It's never been disclosed as to the specifics. But the reason you find all those You Tube videos and all the crappy releases on VHS and DVD is that these are public domain.

However, they should still do it. They just probably don't think the money involved in cleaning them for a good Blu Ray release is worth it in the profits made - look at how long it took them to do something with the Iron Giant, IP they OWN and have the rights to, and for which people were constantly asking for a Blu Ray release.

Because back in the 50's they believed "If we make these cartoons as best as possible, more people will pay to see them and we'll make more money!" Whereas nowadays, Hollywood works with a "By the time audiences realize the animation is shit, we'll have their money and won't care what they think" mentality.

If you search on You Tube, you can find some of the trailers of MoS set to this music as well as to the John William theme and, most frequently, to the music of S-TAS.

Fun Fact: Zach Snyder produced the short. Which is why it includes Cavill AND why it doesn't include Routh.

Since Routh's Superman Returns is meant to be a direct a sequel to Reeves Superman, that's logical.

Buildings don't collapse like that user, unless they're rigged with explosives by our own government. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

weak af

Absolutely nothing, he's just being contrarian. DCAU Superman fortunately had Dini to really hold in Timm's fetishes, so we get boy scout Superman at his finest.

Its funny, the first place where it was posted was here. No one seems to remember though.

We definitely need more tommy gun wielding Lois in our lives.

Wasn't she fighting in Bat-armor to protect Jon a few issues ago?

This animation is beautiful

The only good thing Zack Snyder has done.