What was the narrative purpose of this scene?

What was the narrative purpose of this scene?

not sure about narrative purpose, but that scene is the best to capture the logic of a nightmare i've ever seen

it was originally suppose to be a tv series so probably a lot of these ideas would have been further developed in that. Lynch just turned the entire premise into a 2 hour movie instead

proves the whole show is a dream

Narrative purpose takes the back seat in Lynch movies.

to prove that Utz was better than nuts

how

TAKE IT FROM A NUT: NUTZ BUTZ UTZ FUTZ CUTZ

I think about you memeing and I LAUGH

How do we fix David Lynch's career after the mistake that was Twin Peaks:the return?

>knowing exactly what is about to happen but can do nothing to prevent it
>floaty, dreamlike camerawork
>strangely disjointed conversation
>terrifying, inexplicable monster

Wow, cool!

>thinking it needs fixing after releasing his final masterpiece
David Lynch's brand of shitposting is on a whole other level, he made the return purely to fuck with fans and it ended up being the best television event of the year

It was mediocre crap

THIS

DELET

Well meme'd my friend.

That scene is there to explain the movie. It states how the dream world works and how things are similar but due to the presence of the sinister (the hobbo from the alley) are changed to be perceived under a different light.

This is psych 101, not some shit i´m making out.

>looking for narrative purpose in MD
pleb

Its the realization that she took out the hit

I've thought a great deal about the purpose of the one off narratives and seemingly non-sequitor portions of the first part of the film.

I think their purpose is to give you a visceral reaction emotionally to when these characters reoccur in the second half of the film. The feeling of dread and unease as to the implications of their placement within the narrative is essential to the overall aesthetic experience of the viewer.

The meaning and message of the film is subjective. That's why it's a master class in cinema.

to scare the shit out of me

that scene was very scary imo still disturbing even watching it on youtube

Twin Peaks: The Return cemented him as one of the great auteurs. I still think about the last two episodes daily. I don't think any director has ever reused footage from one of their old works decades later like this, elevating it in the process.

Agreed. Greatest creepy scene of all time, in my opinion. I seriously wish I could erase my memory of it and watch it again for the first time. The feeling I had has never been replicated on the same level by another movie.

What other movies captures this impending feeling of dread?

Eraserhead desu. Lynch's backing audio really puts you on edge and I always start squirming in my seat right before Henry starts cutting away the bandages on his kid[/spolier]

tfw Lynch can't un-rape his daughter

>so probably a lot of these ideas would have been further developed in that.
>he hasn't seen twin peaks S3

there were scenes even in that which went nowhere.

>le plot-unrelated spoopy jumpscare

Honestly one of the biggest meme scenes in history

What movie?

This. Wish there were more movies like this

This scene wasn't in the original pilot. He shot this scene specifically for the movie

>plot-unrelated
Didn't make it to the end of the film, eh kid?