Where did the quality start to heavily drop in South Park?

Where did the quality start to heavily drop in South Park?
Personally I think it dropped heavily after Season 10, especially with Chef's death and the World Of Warcraft episode being the last really great episode.

>Where did the quality start to heavily drop in South Park?
When it started bringing in continuity and really started to bring in current events. The utter copying of our real lives into their world really screwed it up.

I know South Park had cameo's of famous/infamous people as well as a few happenings, but now it's just "Ripped from the headlines from last week" and now it's today's episode bullshit.

They need to get back to 4 boys from some shitty Colorado town have adventures and cuss like sailors.

This. Political episodes also age poorly.

Cows forming a cult and comitting suicide is still funny, even 20 years later. The Harley riders/fags episode is hilarious.

>Where did the quality start to heavily drop in South Park?
When they made fun of my personal political beliefs.

After the movie. Subtly at first, still enjoyable, but the downward spiral began there. It was the very peak.

Seasons 16 and 17 are the worst the show ever got.

Seconded.

Come on, Season 20 is the worst by far.

It started out pretty good at least. Them being blindsided by the results of the election pretty much permanently crippled the rest of the season.

it really comes down to their inspirations.

"continuity" isn't the problem, but variety within the continuity is.

I'm definitely much closer to a SJW than I am a Sup Forumslock but it was much funnier when they went after SJWs in Season 19 than going after Trump in Season 20.

Season 19 had a lot more going on-- PC Principal, Yelp, Yaoi, gentrification, ads, Garrison, Jenner, etc.

Season 20 had Memberberries, Cartman's gf, trolling, and Trump-- these four elements made up the entirety of every episode and it never changed.

Continuity added a lil spice to season 19 but it never stopped it from doing a lot of different things. season 20 was just empty

How would the story have been different if Hillary won?

This right here. The show fluctuates in quality a lot, so I think there's going to be some difficulty answering OP's question, because despite having horrible seasons the show's quality bounces back up later. So determining the worst seasons is the only real way of answering it, as there have been many declines and rises.

Stick of Truth was fantastic, on top of that.

It's honestly a really solid writing staff, but you're bound to have stumbles across a span of 250+ episodes and a movie.

I've been rewatching South Park and Season 10 to 13 were much better than A lot of people claim.

I'd argue that a shift in maturity for the boys became more apparent after Chefs death, the fact that the teacher figure was gone and the children stated to take on less naive adventures. This also resulted in less Mr Garrison over time, Garrison worked best when he plays off the innocence and lack of experience the class had, (I still think Garrison as a kindergarten Teacher was his best work).

I personally think the show has just evolved more as time went on and as it changed, tripping and reseeding are bound to happen. I would also argue that the seasons that were overall lacklustre are 17 and 20. The former being stale and the later of which was experimental.

This

20 had a good five or six episodes at the beginning but the last four gave the entire run a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

I'm curious what they will salvage from season 20, if they will keep Garrison as president or try to reset everything like a big joke in the first episode.

I agree with this, but I do think the last few seasons have been a definite decline in the sense that the creators are starting to feel out of touch with what's actually happening the real world.

I'm not just talking about them dropping the ball so obviously and embarrassingly with Hillary, there's been a lot of little things from previous seasons adding up. The emo episodes were great, but how many years ago did emo die? 'Faith Hilling' wasn't funny because you can tell they had no idea what to do with internet meme subculture at the time. 'Human Cent-i-Pad' aired what, two years after the movie? Long after it stopped being shock value. 'Craig x Tweek' was a fun shout-out - to a fandom that was at its peak half a decade ago.

You can see them getting out of touch with culture and humour as the series drags on. Maybe they'll find a way to salvage it again, but we all get old and lose our touch eventually.

Good point, I think the biggest problrem was introducing all the plots in the first episode.

What they should have done was reveal who the troll was in the third or fourth last episode and just have the effect of the trolling in the background after the first episode. It give's more focus on the story at hand, allows for more freedom for South Parks signature topical humour and gives the viewers something to guess as they watch the series.

Also they should have never committed to one plot direction until after the election. This would mean less focus on member berries but more focus on a better setup to have Garrison and Turd Sandwich to duck it out before the election.

this

the movie is quintessential

but I like up to season 8 or so pretty well

>When it started bringing in continuity and really started to bring in current events.
So the first season.
>They need to get back to 4 boys from some shitty Colorado town have adventures and cuss like sailors.
They literally say they don't do that often because people would get sick of it. Season 2 was nothing but that and it was fucking shit.
>This. Political episodes also age poorly.
The Trapper Keeper episode is still funny

I actually don't mind the format of doing current events and politics, but I wish they would change it up a bit and go back to the old format every once in awhile.