Where are all the Lovecraftian comics and cartoons?

Where are all the Lovecraftian comics and cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQb-qBq4hI
web.archive.org/web/20150315021318/http://lovecraftismissing.com/?p=930
mockman.com/archive/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Latham_(animator)
hplovecraft.com/popcult/comics.aspx
raggedclaws.com/2010/09/22/look-here-read-the-dunwich-horror-adapted-by-breccia-and-buscaglia/
atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch1-cover
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated

It's probably pretty hard to make an interesting game that's all about how powerless and insignificant the player is.

It hath been summoned

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQb-qBq4hI

The hopelessness and insignificance only comes after the endgame, 6+ hours later.

The best ending of Dark Corners Of The Earth still results in the PC's death.

He also took out two Elder Gods with a howitzer and Yithian body-jacking abilities/a lightning gun before offing himself. By Lovecraft standards, he's a goddamn alpha male.

Lovecraft is Missing was interesting, sadly the creator died before he could finish it

web.archive.org/web/20150315021318/http://lovecraftismissing.com/?p=930

You think so? That sounds pretty cool.

The rng in this game is retarded

>inb4 lovecraft's racism pops up

Mockman has done a series of webcomics on his Dreamlands series:

mockman.com/archive/

Did he die mysteriously?

It is, but I kind of appreciate a game that will curbstomp you from time to time, even if your strategy was all but flawless.

I always hate when someone brings that up.
didn't he later apologize for all the things he said regarding race?

Alberto Breccia

cancer
He was also animator for various Disney series, storyboarded for Scooby Doo and other works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Latham_(animator)

>Where
here: hplovecraft.com/popcult/comics.aspx

It's annoying how so many "Lovecraftian" stories essentially amount to "Dude Cthulhu lmao"

I think what happened was a lot of the racier stuff he wrote was from when he was in an angsty edge lord adolescent phase, and then in later life we have excerpts of letters he wrote to friends acknowledging that some of that was just him being an edgy faggot and he grew out of it somewhat. He never became a 100% by today's standards perfectly PC social justice crusader, though, so it's never going to be good enough for the idiots who don't get historical context that bring it up in the first place.

Best game in the past 5 years

How dull.

There's loads in Eurocomics. Druillet springs to mind.

The guy was a headcase who wrote amazing stories. I mean most of the blame should be aimed at his mother but he was fucked.

Rats in the Walls cartoon when?

the Lovecraftian work of media to come out (outisde his own books of course) was Bloodborne, prove me wrong

Pro-tip: It is highly unlikely that you can

For some reason, the Cthulhu Mythos always ends up driving me to search for info on Native American languages...

Modern authors all too often insist on writing action stories out of the Cthulhu Mythos and forget -- if they ever knew -- that Lovecraft's works in general have more in common with detective stories. The Call of Cthulhu itself is a compilation by the narrator of various assorted notes, letters, police reports and a newspaper article recounting what happened over several, several years.

Bloodborne is far more Baroque than Lovecraft ever dreamt of being. Lovecraftian does it a disservice, especially since its horror covers so many different genres

A lot of people who claim to be big Lovecraft fans really haven't read anything outside of Call of Cthulhu and fail to realize Lovecraft isn't about big Octopus monsters, but rather existential horror about how pathetically insignificant mankind is in comparison to the cosmos and all abhorrent things that dwell in it.

/tg/ can prove you wrong in a hundred ways. Not just talking Ravenloft but all the boardgames out there. They all make you lost about 80% of the time, which is how it should be. They are great though

I think his best works had a body horror aspect. A lot of his miscegenation stuff, this idea that there is something physically wrong with you and you past. I like that stuff.

XD

please end all of mankind.

Everyone has to read The Silver Key and Through the Silver Key Door. Those are the best examples of showing us how small we are

>he doesn't read Sutter Cane

Why does this exist

omg xD nerd cthulhu, cant wait for this in the next NerdBox, only $40 monthly xDDDD

From Beyond And Other Tales by Erik Kriek. Doesn't seem to be available in English yet though.

I remember I had to stop listening to The Color from Outer Space at night because of how terrible the description of the afflicted flesh was.
I actually thought it would be cool to do a Color from Outer Space comic in black and white except for the color.

>Master of R'Lyeh
Cthulhu was a priest of the outer gods you uncultured fucking swine! He just slept in R'Lyeh!

>It is no novelty for Aryans to dwell as a minority amidst a larger black population—such has been the case in Alabama & Mississippi for decades, & the upper part of South Africa is having a similar experience. But the effect of this condition is generally to heighten rather than relax the colour-line. The white minority adopt desperate & ingenious means to preserve their Caucasian integrity—resorting to extra-legal measures such as lynching & intimidation when the legal machinery does not sufficiently protect them. Of course it is unfortunate that such a state of sullen tension has to exist—but anything is better than the mongrelisation which would mean the hopeless deterioration of a great nation.

>Reading the complete fiction of H.P. Lovecraft
>Usually read each of his larger stories in parts, casually and calmly
>Get to The Colour out of Space
>Binge read it in one sitting, don't even want to get up to piss
Fuck man, TCofS was Lovecrafts true masterpiece, Call of Cthulhu is overrated as fuck.

Funko Pop figurines generally ride the wave of popular "nerdy" subcultures that border on normalcy. Combine kitsch culture with pop nerd culture, and bam, Nerd Cthulhu FUnk Pop figurine.

I came this close to getting a TAS Harley Quinn Funko, but they don't do shit. They just sit there and stare blankly.

Yeah, that's a really good one too. I like a lot of his works. The outer gods stuff is the most popular because it has a monster people can latch on to.

But the ones of people getting sick, people just having cursed ancestory, or just people unfairly rotting from within. That body horror always upsets me more. The sickness is inside you. Pic related.

Literally everywhere. Locecraft is a meme.

Cause calls for cuthulu was actually good

It is definitely one of my all time favorites. Pickman's Model is too, slowing realizing one of your best friends is a truly evil thing is terrifying.

Meh. I'd be pissed or surprised, but it's not like their products are particularly good or anything.

There's Providence

You see, In the Mouth of Madness was fuckin awesome because rather than try to adapt a Lovecraft story, it was simply inspired by his style and themes.

Probably the last good movie John Carpenter made, too, before he shit the bed for the rest of the 90s.

>Call of Cthulhu is overrated as fuck.
Agreed. But i wouldn't call TCfOS his masterpiece. It was his best sci fi story but his masterpiece was either The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath or Though the Silver Door. Those two stories are the best dream quest stories ever made, many have tried it, like gaiman, but none have gotten to that level

Personally my favourites were TCofS, The Temple (dat god-tier suspense and mystery), and of course Sweet Ermengard

An issue of Heavy Metal had The Dunwich Horror......

raggedclaws.com/2010/09/22/look-here-read-the-dunwich-horror-adapted-by-breccia-and-buscaglia/

In my opinion, one of the most Lovecraftian games out there is Freespace 2:

Countless and unknowable spider-like aliens out of subspace begin swarming the known galaxy hell-bent on eradicating everyone in it for no evident reason. And they never stop coming. Every victory against them is short-lived, and the Shivans always return and with even more terrible weapons in their arsenal every time. The mood of the story during the final act changes to complete despair with the Shivans' unveiling of an entire fleet of Sathanas-class juggernauts, when it was previously thought they had just one... or two. Better yet, the player himself discovers that in a secret level -- that is, you prod your head for but a short while into an unknown, uncharted place where the alien forces are stationed and are left with even more questions than before, not unlike a Cthulhu Mythos protagonist.

It's that sense of dread and apprehension at being cornered by something monstrous and incomprehensible what makes Lovecraftian horror, instead of just throwing a giant octopus at the audience.

honestly I wasn't a big fan of Dream Quest, I dunno, just felt like the best parts were the moon and meeting Nyarlathotep and everything between that was kinda dull.

>Not liking Gugs

Gugs were faggots, the cats and ghouls were bro-tier as fuck

Mine have got to be TCfOS, Pickman's Model, Cats of Ulthar, and The Music of Erich Zann

If you like body horror, check out Charles Burns.

Yeah, it's schlocky but it plays the part well. One of the more experimental Carpenter films.

Ghouls were the best companion
Why? To me it felt like all his best ideas put in one book

Anyone else here read Through the Silver Key Door? I don't expect many people to appreciate it like i do. But i love it cause it really impacted me in how i think of math. Basically it uses linear algebra and takes it to the Nth dimension. We are just vectors that come from higher dimensions.

I was always amazed at how lovecraft put those math concepts into his stories

My only problem with Dream Quest is the cheesy ending. Literally summed up as "There's no place like home". Way too saccharine for HPL.

But if you tack on The Silver Key and Through the Gates of the Silver Key afterward, you get a more appropriate conclusion for Carter.

I do like how Dream Quest is built around all the other Dream Cycle stories, referencing its own mythology. You read all those unconnected shorts first and Dream Quest is the big payoff. Just doesn't read well in a vacuum. At the Mountains of Madness is like that but for the Cthulhu Mythos. You need to know all those other Mythos stories going in or most of it is boring and full of references that you won't be able to appreciate.

That's what I really like about Lovecraft, it's interconnections. Like you'll be reading a story and there's an aside about Innsmouth and their weirdness.

>y only problem with Dream Quest is the cheesy ending. Literally summed up as "There's no place like home". Way too saccharine for HPL.

Also

>"Oh no! Azathoth is about to get me! I'm doomed! Oh wait it's just a dream and I can wake up lol."

Uuuggghhhhh.

That's why it's best to pick up the complete fiction and read it from beginning to end, really gives you all the context you need before going into the bigger stories.

The ending of Dream Quest is actually one of my favorite parts because I'm from New England. It's sweet and comfy if you agree with the sentiment, but even if you don't like it here it's amusing if you're a native because you'll probably at least know somebody that feels that way.

Yeah, and it's why I couldn't get excited when there was news of an At the Mountains of Madness movie being worked on (Del Toro was behind it so like 99% of his projects it never happened).

You can't make a movie based on JUST ATMOM because that one story is the culmination of dozens of other stories. On its own, its just a bunch guys wandering around reading hieroglyphics that thread a bunch of HPL stories together, meeting giant penguins and then running away from a shoggoth.

Lately I've been listening to them in podcasts, there's just something so creepy about being told spooky stories while I'm falling asleep.
also not exactly on topic but there's a pretty good podcast called Elder Sign that's a detective/Lovecraftian story that isn't just 'an adventure with Cthulhu' thing.

>e never became a 100% by today's standards perfectly PC social justice crusader, though, so it's never going to be good enough for the idiots who don't get historical context that bring it up in the first place.

When, long ago, the gods created Earth In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind. To fill the gap, and join the rest
to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
On the creation of Niggers.
HP Lovecraft, 1912

Do you enjoy nightmares? I lucid dream so i love them. I am sure Lovecraft has influenced them because i regularly dream of higher dimensions shifting and fucking up the world.

Then again my brain is fucked and have had dreams of me turning inside out and then reality turning itself inside out. I am fucked

>he hasn't played Eternal Darkness

I never understood people's hang-up on that. It's not like his racism is what he's famous for, he's famous for drawing on earlier influences and creating an entire subgenre of horror. People look at the racism as one of his flaws in every reasonable discussion of his work.

>A person born over a century ago was racist?!
>HOW DARE YOU LIKE HIS WORKS YOU INTOLERANT WHITE CIS-HET SHITLORDS
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No actually I hate them, I have sleep paralysis and most of my nightmares involve that in a terrible way. Either being stuck in some kind of immobile undeath for eternity or being held down by a faceless shadow demon.

Vidya has good Lovecraftian representation.

>Cthulhu and assorted Lovecraft beasties show up in a couple Castlevanias
>Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
>Darkest Dungeon
>Bloodbourne
>Silent Hill 1-3
>the original Alone in the Dark
>Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice

I'm sure there's loads more. He's really underrepresented in comics/cartoons and film though, which is a shame.

Yeah, when he was on his deathbed or something. I read about it a biography, still ahven't finished it though...

I fucking forgot Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I'm a fuckwit.

Mountains of Madness was easily my fav Lovecraft tale. Maybe it appeals to my desire to explore, but I love the idea of finding and exploring what seems to be the ruins of a long dead civilization... only to find so much more than simple ruins and artifacts

>niggers
that poem always cracks me up. I was working with a guy from West Virginia, backwoods country, showed it to him. Had a good chuckle, I miss drinking with him.

>Mountains of Madness was easily my fav Lovecraft tale. Maybe it appeals to my desire to explore, but I love the idea of finding and exploring what seems to be the ruins of a long dead civilization... only to find so much more than simple ruins and artifacts
Same here, I want more shit like that to exist, but can never find anything like it. Almost makes me wanna take up writing.

he may have been edgy, but just like Sup Forums, he was always right

Adventure Time has many lovecraft elements/references

Shuma Gorath
Chthon
Set
Unicron

All are Lovecraftian in their ways, but comics have moved away from Lovecraftian concepts in favour of "muh realism".

He was also a neet, honestly he more of a representation of /r9k/, hell he even shitposted.

>he hasn't read The Colour Out Of Space
Shit taste desu

My niggas

He wasn't dissing Lovecraft, he was dissing Lovecraftian style stories.

He actually did start to grow out of that in his later years, he started to become friends with a lot of other writers, moved around the country a lot and sometimes even slept on their couches when they offered instead of hotels, demanded that the magazines he was selling his stories too stop cucking him with the pocket change they threw his way and give him real money, etc.

Towards the end of his life he really did start to improve as a person, had he not died so young he probably would have grown to be a far more well rounded person.

It's definitely number one for me. In my head the color was always that sickly yellow/purple that a bad bruise gets sometimes.

The Colour Out Of Space was by far my favorite one of his. It was also the first one I read though so maybe that's why.

I always thought a biographical story about him would be good but instead of stomach cancer killing him its one of his monsters inside him or some shit.

Like have it be mostly about his life but then also like some of the stuff he writes about is bleeding into reality.

>prefers cats

But that's wrong user

This is like recent story of the white woman whose fault that the civil rights movement started said that she lied and got the kid murdered because it was just something people did at the time

Surprised that Atomic Robo storyline isn't in here. atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch1-cover

>he's never played fetch with his cat

He was missing out

There's a comic called The Strange Adventures of H.P Lovecraft that is a very similar premise to that

>All these triggered losers
Yeah its stupid, but getting your panties in a wad because Cthulu has become well known enough to be parodied is asinine. Do you get angry every time a funny version of Dracula pops up?

I bet he even thought that there are only two genders. Why were people so worthless back then?

Call of Cthulhu has been pen and paper game since the 80s