Protip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8YdtsAz-rs#t=13s
youtube.com/watch?v=p6YmY3-yubw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Killer is better

Both Bullet in the Head and Face/Off are better

False. Backing up OP on this one. Hard Boiled is a masterpiece

Lmao nothing happens in The Killer, Hard Boiled has the best action scenes where A Better Tomorrow has the best story.

A Better Tomorrow is, um, better

>both will never get the proper restoration they deserve
>even the remaster of A Better Tomorrow from last year was a con job
>heroic bloodshed is kill

did anyone catch The Villainess that came out this year?
it's Korean, but the closest I've seen to a John Woo film in years, shame about all the GoPro fight scenes though

Crank 2

Police Story

you are all plebeans, Hard Target is obviously the best

Hard Boiled is the GOAT.

Even the low budget video game sequel made by Midway is pure kino.

>face off better than hard boiled
Are you even trying?

you mean stranglehold?

That shit is on my watchlist,imma prob watch The Good,the bad and the weird,Police story and then that one

John who?

>Name a better action flick

do kung fu films with this kind of choreography and stuntmanship(?) even exist any more?

or do they just fly around and whip people with their ponytails?

Only if they're actually made in China/Hong Kong
Every european and american kungfu/fight movie tends to have shit-tier choreography and editing

The raid I guess
Martial arts movies kind of go in and out of style

better sense of drama, better acting, better camera work, better music, better finale.

here are some things from Face/off which hardboiled lacked:
- a formidable villain who meant anything. "Mad Dog" was just some quiet dude with shades who was good at shooting. He meant nothing to the main character. the actual villain was weak and cowardly.
-dramatic intrigue akin to the Shawn
Archer's daughter's storyline. The creepy relationship between her and caster troy and that magnificent pay-off where the effects of his brutality came back to bite him in the ass when she stabbed him with the knife he gave her were absolutely delicious
-the audacity to have a final confrontation transition from a standoff in a church to a fucking impromptu speedboat chase
-the drama of the scenes between caster troy and shawn archer's wife and shawn archer
-varied action sequences, including shawn archer grabbing a flask of sulphuric acid, chucking it into the air then shooting it in order to incapacitate guards, caster troy getting kicked into the stream of a jet engine, a 6-way mexican standoff in a church

make no mistake my boy Face/Off is superior to Hard Boiled.

youtube.com/watch?v=G8YdtsAz-rs#t=13s

As a teenager I once ordered Tequila and soda from a bar, with ice. I slammed it because my hero at the time did the same. The barman looked at me like I was an idiot. It was not a good drink

True story

revealing yourself as a pleb
thank you for posting yet another memorable, great moment from face/off. this movie is full of gems.

Now it's all camera cuts and cgi

so what are some great contemporary kung fu films fresh outta hong kong/china?
because all I ever see coming out of there now period war epics

no action scene in face/off is better than any action scene in hard boiled
the tea house
the boat shootout
the warehouse
the hospital

every single hard boiled action scene is amazing, and I think that makes up for it's flaws better than face/off does (such as the ridiculous magnet-prison, nick cage and john travolta chewing the scenery)

You're welcome. It's a terrible movie but to say it's not entertaining would be an utter lie.

>he doesn't have the Hong Kong Rescue version of Hard Boiled
nigga WHAT are you doing? They're going to do a Better Tomorrow as well. Catch up.

Is there even any memorable action scene in face/off?

I remember when I played action quake2 and action half-life. Shitload of maps were based on Hong Kong action films and 80's/90's action classics. Some people hadn't even seen john woo films but they referred the maps as "hard boiled warehouse" or "church from the killer"

Not enough signature john Woo action, it doesn't hold up to re-watches as well as Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow. You have no ability to recognize kino and I think you should probably leave this board..

he took his face...OFF

what? when? where? how?

specs?
did they convert straight from the master or what?

don't play with my heart user

this is true, John Woo's Stranglehold is better then any Max Payne game.

The Grandmaster is good if you can find the non-weinstein cut
Wong Kar Wai made it
Some of the Ip Man movies and Ong Bak are good

>better then any Max Payne game
hold on now let's not say anything we can't take back

He has a facebook page where you could buy them, but it got removed by kikeberg. you can still find copies of it online and maybe somehow get on the guy mailing list. He just did a complete re-release of Jackie Chan's Wheels on Meals

Aren't the prc trying to strangle hk movies to death?
I miss Cantonese action movies

Yeah, Stranglehold.

The cutscenes are pure, raw, unmitigated kino. Expecially the end of the first mission.at the tea shop shoot out.

>DAMN IH TEQUILAH, I TOL YOU NAHT TO GO ALON
>AH DIN GO ALON. BROUGH MAH TWO FREN *flashes pistols*

it's a fantastic movie. Easily one of the greatest action movies of all time.
>nick cage and john travolta chewing the scenery)
their performances are one of Face/Off's greatest strengths. that you see it as a flaw just reveals your plebbiness.

as I recall, tea house was indeed amazing, boat and warehouse I don't consider very memorable since I don't remember them. Hospital was also very good but went on for too long and became a bit monotonous.

the speedboat chase is better than the weaker hardboiled action scenes at the very least. IMO the final action scenes of face off are better than the hospital since they carry much omre tension since Caster Troy is someone who actually means something to Shawn archer whereas mad dog is just some guy with glasses who has no presence in the script at all but the director inserted to the movie so that the main character would have someone formidable to fight against instead of just mooks
speedboat chase scene and rest of finale.

>Wong Kar Wai made it
will def check it out thanks, seen the Ip Man films
is that it though? Ong Bak is thai and well over a decade old

> Doesn't consider the FUCKING WAREHOUSE SCENE or the boat scene memorable
1/10

> it doesn't hold up to re-watches as well as Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow.

This is patently false since the acting performances in Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow are much less captivating and entertaining with the exception of chow yun fat in a better tomorrow.

all your reply shows is that all you appreciate from movies is duh ackshion. No appreciation for the high drama of a hong kong blood opera.

Holy fucking cringe. Never listened to these guys but they're terrible.

Yeah no, Chow Yun Fat and Tony Lang are actors that Cage and Travolta wish they were.

I can't say I'm immersed in the kung fu scene

>We will never see the intended Arnold/Sly version of Face/Off

Would it have been the greatest action film ever?

Why don't I ever see a single Hard Boiled webm?
The blocking in the hospital scene is goddamn superb

Tony Leung*

It would have been way less good.

sly and arnold wouldn't have been able to act as each other

watching nic cage impersonate john travolta and vice versa was a gift.

eh, probably not
something happened to Woo once he made it in america
he just wasn't the same, and hasn't been since

anyone remember this?
too little, too late: the movie

There are people who think Synder DC movies are "kino" on this board, and you expect them to even KNOW about real action movies? lol.

nigga you ain't looking hard enough

My god so damn ridiculous and based at the same time

pretty much the perfect balance

This is one of my all time favorite scenes in this movie, nobody in hollywood could do this today.

Imagine your name being Yun-Fat Chow.

Woo is like Lynch. Anyone else impersonating him ends up completely unwatchable in comparison.

>Jackie Chan's Wheels on Meals
Word?

Thread theme?

youtube.com/watch?v=p6YmY3-yubw

It's not pronounced like that in chinese, sounds more like "jiuo ren fa," at least when pronounced in mandarin.

Is this the same chink in the 'thumbs up while chewing food' gif that I see here from time to time?

>He puts his right knee on the ground and in the next shot his left knee is on the ground.

Dropped
r
o
p
p
e
d

>Hard boiled is the superior Die Hard version
Ill fight anyone

Just Wikipedead "A Better Tomorrow." Here's the only listed review for it which gave it a 5/10:
"there's plenty of South Korean machismo (with none of the lightness and humour of its Hong Kong equivalent) and a much darker emotional core, with some intense male bonding ... making this an oppressively all-male affair, heightened by the saturated photography and in-your-face action"

Isnt this from The Killer

this movie is exhausting to watch. people are shooting at each other like 90% of it.

Shooting is awesome, user.

>he doesn’t know about the old knee resting swap technique for better aim
cmon user

you're right I can't
meme opinion
A Better Tomorrow 2 is better

damn wish I knew about this 2 years ago
will definitely be tracking down every release this guy put out

does he have a main site or a twitter or something?
all I can find it deleted forum threads and bid pages

Congrats, you found a review for a shit korean remake that didn't need to exist.

>the speedboat chase is better than the weaker hardboiled action scenes at the very least
Hardboiled has no weaker scenes.

Oh holy shit I'm a fucking idiot. I didn't realize I was reading the page for the 2010 one lmao my bad.

These aren't even film restorations, just Frankensteined collages of bits pieced together from other Blu-ray/DVDs.

Only other legitimate answer ITT.

He's back in the game now that he's making actual Chinese films again. Red Cliff 1&2 was a fantastic experience.

Unironically the chinks from Hong Kong make great action scenes,just watch Fallen Angels

Police Story and the second one are fucking amazing. Everyone praises the third one, Supercop, but if I remember right, that one toned the martial arts way down and just became a bit of a cheesy shoot-em-up 80-90s film. Just didn't have the same feel. But the first two are so fucking good and fun.

The Raid movies are better
Many Jackie Chan movies are better than this

>tfw no x265 bluray rip of the hong kong rescue version of Hard Boiled anywhere on the net

isn't there a Japanese edition of Hard Boiled on Blu Ray [citation needed] that is meant to be at least superior to the Dragon Dynasty version?

>hard boiled (3).webm
>scene from the killer

Double tough guys don't work
Its why Demolition Man was so good
It had wacky villain and tough manly man

also do we have a dedicated heroic bloodshed chart yet?
because we should
>Hard Boiled
>The Killer
>A Better Tomorrow II
>City On Fire
>Tiger On Beat
>Full Contact
>Bullet In The Head

Probably cuz Supercop was the first one to come out over here in the 90s. It wasn't even marketed as Police Story 3 so I think a lot of people never saw the first two.